Strange Bedfellows Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Titus nodded slowly. "Like I said, nuance. Only one of those things is true without qualification."

"About King Tyso?"

"Of course not." Titus replied, but his eyes twinkled in such a way as to let her know that she had been right.

"Tell me the truth Titus; is King Bracken a good king?" She asked, hoping that he would say her father was indeed a good king.

Titus inhaled deeply, let it out slowly, and then stroked his short beard. "I would say that he's a good man."

"...but not a good king?"

"Unfortunately, being a good man doesn't mean that you will be a good king." He replied. "I obviously haven't lived here long and only have an invading warrior's view of things. But from what I can see, he is too hard when he should be soft, and too soft when he should be hard."

"Oh." Shara nodded slowly.

She could see it.

She had been able to get away with almost anything when she was a child, and only the stern hand of her tutors had drilled any amount of discipline into her. Her father had made sure she had the best tutors and he had caved when they said that she needed a stronger hand. As she thought about it, he had caved to a lot of things during her short life.

"So, the people don't love him?" She finally asked.

"I think they like him as a person, but not as a king." Titus replied delicately. "Again, this is only the view from an invading soldier, and an old one at that. But from what I can tell, King Bracken lets his advisors push him into bad decisions and into appointing less-than-ideal people into roles of authority. The common people who have met him -- which is a lot for a king in this age -- they seem to like him as a person, but not as a king."

Shara nodded slowly again.

It made sense.

It hurt, but it made sense.

"Is that why Lyra's father says that the people are happier with the men Kalus left in charge?"

"I suspect so." Titus replied. "Kalus is a shrewd man. He appoints a native of our country to govern the cities, but mostly lets the elders of that city make the laws. Then he appoints a military commander from our country to oversee things and enforce the laws. Thus, the people mostly make the laws and they are rigidly enforced, bringing a measure of peace and stability that King Bracken's men were never able to achieve."

"And the people are less upset because they make the laws." Shara finished.

"Like I said; shrewd." Titus nodded. "However, he's also a good man. I have a daughter who will come of age in less than a year. I had hoped that Kalus might consider her taking her hand in marriage when she does."

"Oh?" Her eyes went a little wide; she could hardly think of a greater compliment that a father could give another man than to hope he would wed one of his daughters.

He nodded. "Alas, he's too taken with you and Lyra to consider her now." Titus looked a bit disappointed, but shrugged. "Such is life."

"Taken with me?"

"Only a blind man or perhaps the object of his affections could miss it." The older man looked at her pointedly. "The young are often oblivious to the affections of others."

She blushed slightly, but nodded. "Life used to be simpler when I was younger."

"It always is for a child, but you aren't a child anymore; you're a woman." Titus replied. "My life was infinitely less complex when I was a boy, and far less complex when I was a mere soldier. The older you get, the more complex life gets." He gave her a kind smile. "But complexity has its rewards, just like maturity does."

"I hope so." She cradled her hands around her womb, thinking about the tiny life she was now responsible for protecting and nurturing. It was remarkable how much her perspective had shifted since she'd found out about him, though it might be a 'her'.

The old soldier eyed her hands for a moment, then smiled. "It looks like our fearless commander is as... potent in the bedroom as he is on the battlefield."

She blushed scarlet, but nodded.

"Don't be ashamed; you are carrying the child of the best man I know." Titus said.

"I'm not ashamed." Shara replied, surprising even herself. "I'm just not used to discussing such things."

Just then, a suppressed feminine moan came from Kalus's tent. It seemed like Lyra was trying and failing to be quiet.

"And it sounds like your fellow wife will soon share your joy." The old soldier chuckled. "Ah, to be young again."

Shara smiled, though it was a nervous smile. She didn't really like how attached she was becoming to both Kalus and Lyra. True she hadn't known either of them very long, but as she thought about living her life without either of them... she shook her head; she didn't like the idea.

Kalus was very strict, but he was a good man and his men loved him because he truly cared about them. She felt that reflected on the kind of father he would be: perhaps a bit strict, but his children would love him because he truly cared about them. She idly wondered if that was the case for her as well, since he undeniably cared about her.

She pushed the thought out of her mind, not liking where it was leading.

* * *

Kalus exhaled, trying to remember the last time he had spent so much time in bed with a woman. He couldn't. He'd chased many a lass before he began to follow Illuminar, but he was rarely successful. Now... now Lyra wanted him as often as he was willing.

"If I pay him enough attention, will he stand at attention again?" The horsewoman asked as she traced a delicate but strong finger over the underside of his softened cock as she lay curled up to his side.

"He will, but I'm only human."

"Will lips or hands rouse him faster?"

He chuckled. "I'm surprised you would use your lips; he was firmly ensconced in you only a few minutes ago."

"I've done it before." She said slyly, then slid her hand along her slit, brought a now-wet finger to her mouth -- and unless he was mistaken, there was a bit of his seed on the digit -- and then she sucked on it while locking eyes with him. "Mmm, delicious."

He raised his eyebrow, but chuckled nonetheless. "Had I not seen the blood from your maidenhead at our first coupling, I would have doubts about your virtue."

"You're my husband so I can do this while still being virtuous." She said, somehow sounding both innocent and provocative at the same time. She slid down, then used her hands to lift his semi-soft cock and took it tenderly in her mouth.

He sighed again, though it was a different kind of sigh this time.

"Mmm." The ash blonde smiled, her lips still around his girth. She pulled her mouth off long enough to speak. "I really like this part." Then she slid him inside her mouth again, gently sucking and lapping with her tongue as he grew larger and harder.

Once he was fully hard, she pulled back and looked at her handiwork. "I like it when he grows in my mouth." She sighed wistfully, then a frown crossed her face and she bit her lip.

"What?" He asked.

"Um..." She hesitated, not quite meeting his eye. "Is... is there something wrong with me? I have heard that... I mean, are women supposed to want so much time in the bed?" She glanced into his eyes. "Am I okay?"

"Yes." He said simply. "Illuminar created the marital bed not only to produce children, but also for pleasure too. You seem far less inhibited than most women, but that's a good thing, not a problem."

"Are you sure?" Lyra bit her lip again. "I mean, Katia isn't... I mean..."

Kalus smiled. "Katia is far more interested in bed than she can admit to herself."

"Oh?"

He nodded. "From our first coupling, she has been incredibly responsive even though she hadn't wanted to take part. I believe that if I were not the enemy, you might find that you had some competition."

Lyra nodded slowly. "So, I'm not... um... defective because I love it so much?"

He reached down and gently brushed her cheek. "If all wives were as 'defective' as you, the world would be a better place."

She smiled and leaned her cheek into his hand. "So, you're happy with me?"

"Very."

"And, I've been a good wife so far?"

"Very, though I'm afraid I might not be able to keep up with you, let alone Katia."

She smiled. "Okay, in that case..." She glanced down at his cock, which was still mostly hard. "Husband, may I please snuggle with you inside of me?"

He grinned. "Of course."

She slid up, aligned herself, and then slid back down, his cock spreading her as she did so.

"Ahhhh." She breathed, then tucked her arms up against her chest and snuggled into his chest. He wrapped his arms around her, feeling quite connected to her since he was both around her and inside of her too.

"I like this." She mumbled dreamily.

"And I as well." He nodded, giving her an affectionate squeeze. She returned the squeeze, though not with her arms.

"Will you still do this when I'm old and fat?" She asked, and it didn't sound like she had an ulterior motive for asking.

"Yes, though while growing old isn't optional, growing fat is." He kissed the top of her head. "I much prefer my wives took care of themselves enough that their waistline never grow excessive, except in preparation for birth."

"I'd like to give birth." She sighed, then raised her head and looked at him. "Where will we raise the children? Do you have a home in Har'peton?"

"No." He shook his head at the reference to his home country. "I've been a soldier since I came of age and never needed one."

"Then..." She got a slightly hopeful smile. "Can I make a selfish request?"

"Please." He replied.

"Could..." She bit her lip and looked down. "Could you perhaps consider choosing to live here in Timarou, near my Pa'pa?"

He smiled. "I would certainly consider it."

"I would love that." She beamed, though her face fell slightly after a moment. "I realize it might not be possible, and there's Katia to consider of course, and I'll follow you wherever you choose to live, but I would love it if we could live in the area. We would be closer to Katia's family as well." She added, clearly trying to make the idea sound appealing.

"To tell you the truth, I have no great love for Har'peton, nor its king." He said in a low voice, so as not to be overheard. "I wouldn't object to living in Timarou."

"Why no love for your..." She squeezed him gently with her vaginal muscles. "Mmm... your home." She looked him right in the eye, leaving him in no doubt as to what she considered 'home'.

"It's..." Kalus hesitated. "It would not be my first choice of a place to raise a family."

"Why?" Lyra asked, starting to gently massage him with her internal muscles.

"It's... it's less family-friendly than other nearby countries." Kalus replied delicately and at a low volume. "I would choose Koilas to the north, even despite Lord Borden's aversion to men with multiple wives; or perhaps Ivernia to the northwest, even with Lord Farbrottan's oppressive taxes, Narlotten would be an excellent choice as well, but perhaps Timarou would be the best choice given my wives' connections and my lack of them."

"Thank you for considering it." Lyra beamed, then bit her lip and started rocking her hips gently. "Now please let me show you how grateful I am..."

He gave her a mock-annoyed expression. "I suppose if--"

"Commander Kalus!" His herald called from outside the tent.

He restrained a look of annoyance at the interruption. "Yes Kyselius?"

Lyra had frozen at the voice but started rocking her hips again moments later. He raised his eyebrow at her and she looked sheepish, but she didn't stop.

"Commander, King Tyso requests your presence in the royal tent for a council of war."

"I shall be out shortly." He replied.

Lyra's face fell, but she slipped off of him. "Might we continue when you return husband?"

"I don't see why not." He replied. "Now, I need to make myself presentable."

Lyra glanced at his still-hard cock. "I can make sure you're clean if you like?"

He chuckled. "As much as I would enjoy that, it would make me late."

It took Kalus a minute to make himself presentable, then he kissed his young wife before leaving the tent. That was new for him; kissing his wife before he left. He had always heard it was a thing that wives liked and he found himself enjoying it as well.

Katia was outside the tent talking to Titus and she gave him a small smile as he passed her. He returned it before continuing to the king's tent, thanking Illuminar that she was no longer being so adversarial. In fact, her smiling at him seemed like incredible progress. Even a small smile such as that one was worlds better than a few days ago.

He found his own lips pulling into a small smile.

His herald fell into step beside him not long afterwards, and he knew the man well enough to know he had some information to share.

"What is it?" Kalus asked before they'd walked a dozen paces.

"It's grim Commander." Kyselius replied. "I've been around checking on the men and talking to the other heralds. Now that we've stopped and there's no danger, the soldiers are furious. With a third of the men having died, practically every man here lost a comrade or friend, to say nothing of leaving their bodies to rot instead of giving them a proper burial."

"How bad is it?" Kalus asked, slowing his walk slightly to make sure his herald had time to finish his report.

"Among our legion, it's not bad." Kyselius said. "Our losses were extremely light and by now every man under your command knows that they were buried. They love you all the more for it."

"And among the rest of the army?"

"I hate to say it, but mutinous."

Kalus frowned; that was a dangerous position to be in. The soldiers had wearied of the campaign over the many months and even more battles; most simply wanted to go home. To have been struck such a deadly blow so close to the end was understandably devastating.

"You know how the king will attempt to remedy this, don't you?" Kalus asked quietly.

"Unfortunately, yes." Kyselius grimaced. "May Illuminar help the poor women in the city of Laerten when we finally arrive, to say nothing of the life-savings of every man."

Kalus took a long, slow, calming breath.

He clenched his fist, knowing there was nothing he could do about it without starting a mutiny, which he wouldn't do.

And yet...

He shook his head.

He couldn't do nothing. He couldn't stand before Illuminar at the end of his life without having done something about this. He wouldn't even be able to look at himself in a mirror for the rest of his life if he didn't intervene. But what to do...

Hmm.

This was rather like planning a battle. Half the struggle was knowing what you should do and half was guessing what the other side would do. This time, his opponent was King Tyso who fortunately was fairly easy to predict. He thought about the entire campaign and what the king was likely to do once they arrived in Laerten. Once he knew that, he knew what to do.

Finally, he looked at Kyselius and spoke in hushed but urgent tones. "Find someone you trust, someone who might be willing to hang for treason for a good cause. Give him a haggard horse and have him ride it hard to Laerten. Let him spread the word of what King Tyso will probably do; perhaps have him say that he overheard it."

"That will make many flee from the city, but what about those who are left and cannot leave?" Kyselius asked.

Kalus frowned.

What of them indeed, and how could he help them?

"If the king stays true to his plans, he will put each of his commanders in charge of a portion of the city." Kalus said. "Knowing him and his frustrations with me, he'll undoubtedly put me in command of the poorest section. Have the man tell the people that I will likely be put in charge of the poorest section. They can flee there and I'll do what I can to protect them."

"I think I know a man who would be willing." The herald nodded.

"Not you Kyselius." Kalus replied. "You have that look in your eye and I need you here. Besides, your absence could alert the king that something is going on."

The man hesitated.

"That's an order Kyselius; you're staying in the camp for the security of the mission."

"Yes sir, I will find someone else." Kyselius nodded.

They had nearly reached the king's tent by this point, so Kyselius saluted and then turned to complete his mission.

The meeting with the king was short and Kalus found himself wishing that he hadn't accurately predicted everything that would happen in it.

* * *

Shara was sitting in the tent wondering why the name 'Katia' was starting to feel so comfortable when Kalus returned.

He didn't look happy.

"Husband, what's wrong?" Lyra asked.

He explained in whispers so he wasn't overheard, and Shara was nearly ready to march over to the king's tent herself by the time he was done. Not literally of course; that would be suicide and she had another little life to think of now. She couldn't believe how much being pregnant had changed her outlook on life. She had heard other parents say how having kids was life-changing; now she knew from experience.

When he was done explaining the problem, then he went over his solution. Shara felt her jaw drop further and further with every word he spoke.

"You seem shocked." Kalus said to her when he was done.

"I..." She worked her mouth for a moment before words came out again. "Thank you. Laerten is our capital and I would hate to see... Thank you."

"It's the right thing to do." He said.

"Just like giving a man back a coin that he has unknowingly dropped instead of keeping it." Shara said, thinking about the example he had used the day they had met.

"Just exactly like." He nodded, a flicker of a smile on his face despite his mood. "The king is starting to push the bounds of what I can in good conscience tolerate. I'm worried that someday soon he'll overstep and I'll be forced to take a stand against him."

"Good." Shara found herself saying, thinking that someone had to stop King Tyso and

"Have you considered what it would mean for you and Lyra?" Kalus asked. "You two would be in grave danger."

Lyra looked at him, then smirked slightly. "No, I think King Tyso would be in grave danger if he stepped over the line and you challenged him, especially after that debacle of an ambush."

"That's treason." Kalus said, his voice cool.

"No, it's only treason if we've sworn loyalty to him, and we haven't." Shara countered. "I haven't and certainly never shall. I'm a proud citizen of Timarou and will be until the day I die."

"I am also husband, but I will follow you wherever you go." Lyra said. "My loyalty is first to Illuminar, then to you two, then to Timarou."

He paused for a moment before speaking. "Har'peton might be my homeland, but no one in this tent has any real love for it."

"Really?" Shara looked at Kalus. "You have no love for your own homeland?"

"It's a harsh place and--" He hesitated, and then shook his head. "There's no one for me there; everyone I care about is either in this tent or the surrounding camp."

"Then... perhaps we could live in Timarou once the war is over?" Lyra asked.

Kalus remained silent for several seconds before replying. "I would not be opposed."

Lyra leapt forward, flinging her arms around him and kissing him. "We--" Kiss. "--didn't--" Kiss. "--finish--" kiss. "--earlier."

She pulled back just slightly and had her dress off in two seconds flat. Suddenly, Shara was staring at the very naked back and butt of her fellow wife. Moments later the ash blonde jumped up and wrapped her legs around their husband, kissing him like it was her last night in the world.

Suddenly, Shara's cheeks felt very hot.

Kalus noticed and gave her an apologetic grin.

Lyra also noticed and had the grace to look slightly abashed. "I'm sorry Katia, I just... ugh, I get so horny and I..." She bit her lip. "I can stop."