Subclasses Ch. 03

Story Info
Sarah learns more about Beatrix's supernatural ability.
4.5k words
4.73
1.8k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note:

Since literotica does not support blockquotes, to denote the start and end of a blockquote, I'll use 💬 and 🗨️ respectively.


Chapter Three

Beatrix Speaks, "Until I leave, no sound may cross the boundaries of this room." It grows eerily quiet as the ambient noise from outside disappears.

"Wow," I say, "I wish I could do that. Noisy neighbors blasting terrible music drive me up the wall."

She smirks and hands me one of the cans of Cherry 7-Up she's pulled from her minifridge, then sits silently for a moment while she contemplates where to begin. When she talks, it's with a warm, slightly distant tone, as if she has one foot in the present, here with me, and the other in the unbounded cosmos of her mind, trying to cram giant, inexplicable experiences into the clunky, small containers we call words. All hint of her domineering tone from earlier has vanished. "For the sake of conversation, I'm just going to call my ability magic, even though it isn't. I don't channel a source, like the Weave in D&D, and I don't have access to anything like Investiture in Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere."

She reads Sanderson, too? I think, momentarily smitten. Why was I such a cowardly fool that I did not introduce myself the moment I first laid eyes on her in September?

Because you're a nervous introvert, Sarah Prime retorts, who's especially self-conscious about creeping out girls in case they're transphobic, as any panicked or disgusted rejection would ruin your week and probably the rest of your life.

Right. I should really get over that.

She speaks on, oblivious to my inner dialogue.

💬

If I had to compare it to something, it's closest to an X-Men mutant ability, though, as far as I know, it's neither genetic nor hereditary. I wasn't bitten by a radioactive street magician, and I wasn't exposed to a freak solar flare while speaking in an ogreish voice. Honestly, I don't know why I have this ability. I just always have, ever since I could talk.

While my "magic" isn't access to some external source of energy, the energy I use to make things happen is separate from my conventional bodily energy. It's a... it's like a magic battery, maybe. Once that battery is depleted, I can't do anything more until it recharges, but I'm no more physically tired than I was before.

I can affect the natural world at will, but only so long as it doesn't interfere with people's free will. However, to directly affect people, I must have their consent. Not just general consent to affect them, but their continual, specific consent for each effect. If I were to, I don't know, make someone artificially high, even if I had their consent to do so initially, as soon as they no longer wished to feel high, the effect would end. I might be able to cause someone pain, if they consent to it, but I could never harm them, even by accident.

My best friend in high school is named Hannah; she's the only person I've ever told about my abilities, or more honestly, the only person who's ever noticed weird things occur when I'm around and confronted me about it. She and I did some rudimentary experiments last summer, teasing out the boundaries of my abilities. We found that if I did apply some effect to her, and then she withdrew her consent without me first ending the effect, the drain on my battery was about ten times worse. On top of that, it hurt me somehow, just a little, but I got the sense that the pain was proportional to the crime, so to speak.

Here's umm... well, here's the awkward part. My magic is fueled by dominance.

🗨️

I nearly choke on my drink.

💬

The more conventional authority I have, the faster my battery recharges. I believe that it slowly recharges on its own because of the innate authority that humans have over their surroundings. However, if I exert authority over people, it recharges much, much faster. What normally takes a night to recover, instead takes a minute.

And, umm... I can increase the capacity of my battery and the potency of my "spells"—such as the amount of time I can transform your body—by using magic to exert authority over people.

🗨️

Beatrix looks at me shy, nervous, like she's fearing—even expecting—some disgusted rebuke.

I don't even have to try to put on my most aroused facial expression as I say, "That's... that's really hot." I notice for the first time how wet I am; I revel in that sensation I have always wanted to experience.

Relief floods Beatrix's face, followed by mischievous excitement mixed with nervous hope. "So, umm," Beatrix continues, "this is what I get out of our bargain, if you agree to it." She pauses, mustering more courage. "I need someone submissive that I can dominate." My eyes widen. "To explore my powers," she adds hastily. Her voice glissandos an octave higher as she says, "And... I thought, maybe, that might be you?"

My head pounds with blood, propelled by my arousal. I can feel my panties being soaked through, a drip pooling at the hem then running slowly down my ass toward my skirt. I would love this arrangement, Beatrix. This is the sexiest, most thrilling thing that's ever happened to me, a fulfillment of my wildest fantasies. So yes, yes I will be that person for you; I will be that person for me.

Beatrix's expression shifts from hopeful to nervous to embarrassed and finally to mortified. "I'm so sorry," she says quickly. "This is awkward. I should never have asked this." She puts her face in her hands and her voice breaks. "We don't ever have to talk again."

I stare, dumbfounded, until I realize I hadn't actually said any of that out loud. I snort at myself—to her confusion—and say, "Yes. Yes, Beatrix, I will be your sub. I will gladly be your sub."

Beatrix looks relieved, and then, her voice taking on a sense of formality, she asks, "Do I have your general consent to play with you as I please?"

"Yes," I reply, "you most certainly do."

* * *

We spend the next few hours, sitting side-by-side on her bed, our backs resting against the abutting wall, getting to know each other. Beatrix is a freshman, planning to major in physics.

"Hannah, the friend I mentioned before, is a total nerd, destined to be a leading scientist of whichever STEM field she ends up choosing. I'm a little jealous, if I'm being honest. The more we experimented with my ability, the more I became intrigued with the scientific method. I figured that studying physics might give me a better idea of how to manipulate reality. I'm four months in, though, and I'm realizing I don't actually need to know the science for it to work; I just say the words with the proper intent, and things just... happen." She shrugs. "But I am enjoying the content, and it comes to me more naturally than I had anticipated, so I don't see a compelling reason not to stick with physics, at least for now."

I tell her a bit about my upbringing in Renton, a sprawling town south of Seattle; that my parents say I've been pressing buttons since I was three years old; about the "gifted" program in fifth grade in which I first learned how to write very simple computer programs; and how this grew into my love of computer science.

She tells me about how she was born in the UK and had spent most of her life there; how she moved in year eight to Bear Creek—the boonies northeast of Redmond—for her parents' new jobs at Microsoft. She talks about her relatively painless experience coming out to them as a lesbian when she was ten, how they hugged her and said, "Oh, Trix, we've known that since you were four." She smiles fondly at the memory.

I tell her about how I came out to myself in May of my senior year of high school.

"Everything in my life fell into place in my mind; this context made everything I've ever done, felt, or thought make so much sense. After a week or two of introspection, conversations with my counselor and some trustworthy friends I knew held progressive views, and privately trying on dresses to see how they fit, both physically and spiritually—having confirmed to myself that I am, in fact, trans, and this wasn't just a weeklong fascination—I called Western's admissions office. I told them I was trans and requested to be assigned to a dorm room with a female roommate, trans or cis. They placed me with my current roommate, Gabi, and thank God. She's wonderful.

"My parents are conservative evangelicals, and so I didn't come out to them until two weeks into my freshman year. They ... didn't take it well, as I had expected." I feel my voice tilt sadward. "My relationships with them have been ... strained ever since. On the plus side, my older sister and brother are affirming, and the rest of my extended family are accepting and most are supportive to varying degrees."

Beatrix sits quietly until she's sure I am finished, then asks, "Do you think your parents could ever accept you as their daughter? Are you still hopeful?"

I feel my face twist to fit my sense of resignation. "I'll always be hopeful, but do I believe they ever will? No, not really. It's been almost a year-and-a-half. My mom's still firmly in denial, my dad, resigned dismay. If anything, they are less open-minded now than they were when I came out to them. But," I continue, coaxing my voice to buoy, "that's life for a queer person sometimes. Not much I can do about it but be myself, love who I am inside, and find my own family who accepts me. Who knows? Maybe someday they'll come around, realize that for the first time in my life, I like myself; for the first time in my life, I want to live. And maybe if they see me like this," I say, gesturing to my newly transformed physique, "just maybe, they'll see this is who I am, who I always have been."

"I hope you can tell that I accept you and affirm that you are as much a woman as I am," she says.

I send her a wan smile. "I appreciate that, Beatrix." I don't know what possesses me, but I reach out and place my hand on hers in what I intend to be a platonic gesture. "Really."

Beatrix smiles at the touch and, before I can react, gently guides my fingertips to rest between her palm and thigh. She gives them a gentle squeeze. My breath catches and my heart quickens its tempo as I process the unintended intimacy of my touch and the fact that it was reciprocated. I again experience that novel sensation of wetness within the cleft between my legs. To hide my blush, I lean my head on her shoulder. She leans hers against the top of my head, and we sit like that in silence for a few comfortable minutes. I marvel at the tranquility of the moment, at how our bodies just seem to fit together, and how at ease we've grown with each other in just a matter of hours. I revel in the sensation of her shoulder against my cheek; for the first time in my life, I'm shorter than the girl I'm cuddling. It's hard to believe that earlier today, I stood transfixed by this girl's domineering gaze, inwardly begging to call her "Mistress".

"I'm hungry," she says, breaking the silence. "Are you?"

Only for your presence, I think at her. Barf, I hear in my head. Sarah Prime is rolling her eyes and miming a gag at how cheesy that was. I smile in spite of myself.

I glance at the digital clock sitting on her desk. 5:42. "Yeah, let's get something to eat." We stand, hand-in-hand for another moment, then move to don our jackets. I send Gabi a quick text, "Hey, I'm eating with a girlfriend at the VU today. I'll see you tonight!"

I get a reply a couple seconds later. "Ooh la la, anyone I know? See you then! ❤️❤️"

"*Sigh* not like that 🙄", I send back with what I hope is a lie.

I exit the room first and Beatrix locks the door behind her. She moves to my side and as we set out, I shyly extend my pinky toward her hand at her side—with plausible deniability that I was just stretching my fingers—in a vain hope that she'll take it. To my surprise, Beatrix had already done the same thing. We lock pinkies and my heart leaps. We share a coy glance, then entwine our fingers and giddily head to the Viking Union.

* * *

"So," I say as I sit down, "are there more of you out there? People with your ability?"

Beatrix raises an eyebrow at the question. She Speaks a quiet sentence to silence our voices from prying ears and make our mouths and body language match that silence to their accompanying eyes. Incredible, I think. "Yes, there are," she replies. "Only a handful, maybe thirty that I know of, worldwide. We have a chatroom and online forum. None of us want to end up as lab rats, so access is strictly limited to just us. No one else even knows what the site is for. The web address is just a bunch of letters and numbers that don't mean anything. Unless you've logged in, it's just a blank page but for email and password textboxes."

"How does that work?" I ask. "Like, how did you even find the site if that's all it is?"

"I sat down to google it, to find out if there were others like me, but then realized no one like me would want to be a lab rat either. Nor did I even know what words I would search for. I turned to leave, but then had this strange sense that I should type something into the address bar. It was just four random numbers separated by dots, then a colon and five more digits. I don't really know how it works."

"Ah," I say, "that's called an IP address, and the five numbers after the colon are a port number. In order for computers to talk to each other, they need to each have their own, unique address, like a street address for the internet. Servers and routers then direct requests through the net until they reach the computer with the target IP address. I'm simplifying a bit, but domain names, like google.com or wwu.edu, are basically aliases for IP addresses so that they are easier to remember and type for humans.

"Each computer," I continue, "can listen to what are called ports—basically a way of separating which program receives which information from the computer's single connection to the internet. The standard ports for websites are 80 for unencrypted data and 443 for encrypted data. A five digit number is a nonstandard port, but a web server doesn't care which port it's assigned to. By using a nonstandard value, especially one in the tens of thousands, and then not using a domain name, whoever set it up basically obfuscated it to the point that no one could find it unless they knew exactly what they were looking for. Props to the site admin; they clearly thought this through."

I wince as I realize I've just vomited a bunch of geeky info she didn't ask for.

"That's kinda cool!" she says, clearly interested and engaged.

Wow. I am really starting to like this girl. "How did you log in if you didn't have an account?" I ask.

"Oh, the IP address didn't show me that page. This page just said, 'If you belong to this community, place a sticky note containing your email address on this desk which sits within a locked room, and a moderator will send you instructions.' And below the text was just a picture of the top of a desk.

"I Spoke the words that would create a sticky note there, and an hour later, I had an email with a link to the forum URL and instructions on how to log in."

I think for a second. "Huh. Clever." Almost to myself, I add, "Yeah, that makes sense, since web encryption requires a domain name." Returning my words to her, I say, "Okay, but how did you know the IP address? You said that you just had a feeling you should enter it; how does that work?"

"Yeah," Beatrix says, "I was confused about that too. I asked in the chatroom, and I guess the gal who set up the site was able to Speak the information into the world, only able to be heard by those with our ability who are seeking it. Then they made the information persist, somehow. I don't even know how I would do that, to be honest. While intent is crucial to Speaking, the words have to make sense, too. They have to be clearly understandable and in the right order. I was able to explain the general concept to you, but to codify it?" She shrugs.

"Wow. That sounds... hard.

"So what all can your abilities do? Obviously you can transform things, and apparently conjure sticky notes. Anything else?"

"That's a big question, but generally, I can do anything I can command clearly enough to be understood, as long as it doesn't interfere with anyone's free will and, for people, as long as I have their expressed consent."

My mind races to grasp all the possibilities. The more I think about it, though, the less useful it seems beyond simple conveniences, like pulling something across the room to you or remotely hitting a light switch so you don't need to get up, and even then, only in private to keep your ability secret. To receive someone's consent, you would first need to tell them about your ability, revealing the tightly held secret. My brow furrows. "Can you give me some examples of these? Every nontrivial idea I can think of breaks one of those two rules or reveals your ability."

Beatrix considers for a moment. "One time when I was walking to a class in the Comm Facility, I saw a stray soccer ball speeding straight toward a little boy's head. I didn't have time for a lengthier command, so I Spoke, 'Spin faster.' The ball's rotational velocity—" She winces at her casual use of a scientific term. Sheepishly she says, "Sorry, physics major, remember?"

"No need to apologize. I like that you're a nerd."

She smiles and continues. "Well, my command increased the ball's rotational velocity just enough to curve the ball away from the boy. I just had to hope that it would work, because if the ball had been kicked at the boy intentionally, nothing would have happened."

"Wow, that was some quick thinking," I say, impressed.

She smiles slightly. "Thanks, but it was more just an instinctual reaction. I Spoke before I realized what I was doing."

"Even so," I insist, "you had to have trained your instincts for something like that. You had to be the kind of person who readily performs random acts of kindness when you see someone needing help. Otherwise, you would not have had that reaction."

She smiles again, this time more fully, and a light blush creeps into her cheeks. At that, a blush creeps up my neck, as well. I place my hand across the table, palm up, and she takes it casually, as if we'd been holding hands for months. I feel my blush deepen.

"Okay, what else?"

She smiles impishly and gives me a conspiratorial look. "Let's say that maybe in one of my physics courses last quarter, a guy and girl were clearly into each other, but neither had the courage to say it. Maybe I grew frustrated with their fruitless plausible-deniability flirting. Maybe, one day after class I saw the girl rush to the boy's desk, as she often does, placing her hand on it in the vain hope that he would take it, which, of course, he was too insecure to do." Beatrix rolls her eyes. "And so, maybe, I Spoke a quick sentence under my breath, and when the girl turned and left, there was a blank sticky note where her hand had been. Maybe the back side of this note had the words, 'If you ask me out on a date, I'll say yes,' written in an approximation of her handwriting. And, just perhaps, as soon as the boy put that note into his backpack, it vanished."

"Oh, you didn't!" I say, grinning.

"Well how should I have known that the next time I'd see them, they'd be holding hands on their way into the lecture hall?" she says with mock indignation, fingers to her chest.

12