Sugar and Spice Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As the applause died and we all sat down, Alison said "Thank you for joining us, Doctor, and I want to say how much I appreciate you sharing your story with us, and allowing me to follow you around and videotape you."

"I appreciate you telling the story." said Dr. Cordell. "It's not about me, but about two very great human beings, a father and a daughter, that I've had the privilege to serve."

"And we'll have that story, after this break." Alison said. The show went to commercial as everyone applauded.

As we waited for the show to resume, I overheard Carole tell Marie "Daddy knows a lot of Para-troooo-pers." Yes, yes I do, I thought to myself. And I'm grateful for most of them...

When the show resumed, Alison said "You may have noticed when Dr. Cordell visited his Captain's gravesite, that there were a couple of quarters next to the dime he put there. The dime meant he served with the Captain, and the quarters were put there by the two people who were at the Captain's bedside when he died. And that... is the next part of this amazing story."

Tape rolled, showing a pre-recorded interview... of Teresa Croyle. She said "On the day Commander Troy defeated the Consultant of Crime, Raymond Westboro, Cindy Ross and I were at the Ward Harvester Warehouse. Mr. Ward had been shot and dumped into a maintenance pit, and we were in it tending to his wounds when we were ambushed."

Teresa: "I was hit by a ricochet shot, and rushed to the Hospital. I woke up on the operating table, and there was this doctor operating on me. He said that he knew my father in Viet Nam. I fell back asleep, and when I woke up and was recovering, Commander Troy brought that doctor to my room. It was Admiral Cordell, and he told me the story, and a lot of things about my father that I'd never known." (Author's note: 'A Tiny Slip', Ch. 02-03.)

Alison: "You were able to be at your father's bedside when he died, weren't you?"

"Yes." Teresa said. "When my sister was killed in a car crash, my father's mental and physical condition deteriorated. When he was close to death, they found me here. My now-husband Todd convinced me to go there, and Commander Cindy Ross went with me."

Teresa: "We got there just in time. I think my father thought I was my mother, and he died very shortly afterwards. I had not even known he'd served in Viet Nam, but someone there told me he had, and I was able to collect his medals from a safe deposit box. And the next time we visited the grave site, Cindy and I put quarters on his tombstone, because we'd been there when he'd died."

Back to Alison live: "And now please welcome TCPD Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle." Teresa was now sitting in the chair next to Admiral Cordell. She received a strong ovation from the studio audience.

Alison: "Among the many amazing coincidences in your stories... when Dr. Cordell visited your father's gravesite, you were there, and you learned some other things about your family, is that not right?"

"Yes." said Teresa. "I found out that I'd inherited from my mother a large trust, which I was happy to donate to the Hospital to fund research for rare diseases." The audience applauded.

Alison: "Dr. Cordell, how is Commander Croyle like her father? And different than him?"

"He was a very courageous man, but she's even more so... she's downright fearless." said Dr. Cordell. "And she's a strong leader, but her father was even more so. He was a leader's leader. He was a man that others wanted to follow, a man that others would follow into Hell and back out, like that last rescue mission. No one had any qualms about disobeying orders and going with him."

Cordell: "And in all my years in military and civilian life, I've only met one other man who commands that level of respect and loyalty that he did, and who is as great a leader as he was... this Town's Police Commander, Donald Troy."

I was stunned at the Admiral's words, and felt many people looking in my direction. Carole grabbed my arm and hugged it as the studio audience applauded.

"Well, I have an Army connection or two myself," said Alison, not mentioning that her connection was her father, a four-star General, "and I was able to procure a little suprise for you both from the Army's archives." She extended two wrapped packages, that were obviously framed photographs. Cordell and Teresa opened them. They were copies of the same photo.

The photo was black and white, but showed very sharp detail. It was from the time Dr. Cordell and Teresa'a father were in Viet Nam. Her father was on the left of the picture, tall, broad-shouldered, his head bald, probably on purpose. He looked very much like Teresa's sister Alexis.

To his left was a much younger Leonard R. Cordell. They were at a slight angle towards each other and looking forward, so it looked like Cordell was looking to the left of the photo, and Teresa's father to the right. Cordell was smiling, and it looked like Teresa's dad looked cheerful and was talking as the photo was snapped.

They were in military fatigues of the day, during a time before the Army went to subdued unit patches. I could see 'US ARMY' on the Captain's shirt, and silver Master Blaster Airborne wings above it, while on Cordell's fatigues it said 'US NAVY' below his Airborne wings.

"Oh wowwww..." Dr. Cordell said quietly as he looked at the photo. I could see the emotion in his face, and the beginning of tears welling up. "This is... amazing." He wiped his eyes and Teresa patted him on the back as the audience applauded...

Part 19 - Cleanup on Aisle 5

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, July 9th, from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with Police Headquarters in the distant background. "Tensions between the Police Union and their membership have reached the breaking point!"

Bettina began: "After the Police Union filed a Federal lawsuit to force the TCPD to suspend and ultimately to fire Commander Donald Troy, the rank-and-file membership of the Union called for a meeting, scheduled for tonight, to begin the process of decertifying the Union. Many Officers have also taken the proper steps to end Union dues being automatically withdrawn from their paychecks under a provision in the last omnibus bill to pass the State Legislature that was forced upon us by deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared."

Bettina: "Both sides will be permitted to make their cases, and then the members will take a vote by secret ballot. Experts say that the vote could be close, as Police Officers need Union representation during a time when politicians are seeking to defund the Police, and also because Commander Donald Troy is not as popular with the rank-and-file as his supporters claim he is."

Bettina: "And in other news, Town & County Council Democrats are calling upon the US DOJ's Civil Rights Division to bring charges against Mayor Daniel Allgood for his heavy-handed abuse of the Rules of Order in Council meetings. Several Democrat Council Members have complained that Republican Mayor Allgood, who some say stole the Mayoral election from its rightful winner Eldrick X. Weaver, applies the Rules of Order unequally and more strictly against the black and female Democrat Council members. Mayor Allgood has not responded to repeated requests by KXTC for comment."

Bettina: "And in State news, Republican nominee for Governor Sharon Marshall is calling upon her opponent, State Representative Hoyt Stenson, to meet with her staff and the League of Women Voters to schedule a series of debates. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Sharon Marshall yelling at a rally of her supporters: "And my opponent Hoyt Stenson won't schedule debates with me! What is he afraid of? Why is Hoyt Stenson a coward, too scared to defend his positions and his Party's positions calling for defunding the Police!? What's wrong with Hoyt Stenson, making him too much of a gutless coward to debate me?"

Bettina live: "Democrats and Social Justice groups condemned Ms. Marshall, calling her comments 'hateful', 'mean-spirited', and not worthy of response in the realm of civil discourse.', but the Stenson Campaign avoided answering questions on why they're not scheduling debates nor when they will meet with the League of Women Voters to make those arrangements..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I seeeeeee that Ms. Wurtz-burrrrrggg has moved on from Commander Troy, and is now complaining about Mayor Allgood not returning her late-night calllllllssss." said Chief Sean Moynahan as we drank coffee and watched the broadcast in the Chief's Conference Room. Paulina was not in the room with us.

"She really has been worlds better since Katherine Woodburn bought KXTC." said Commander Cindy Ross. "Don't you agree, Don?" Her ice-blue eyes were sparkling; she may have been teasing me. I did not take it that way.

"No, I don't." I replied as seriously as I could make my voice sound as I glared at her. "She is still as agenda-driven, biased, and dishonest as she has ever been, as is KXTC."

"You just won't give her, nor KXTC, any credit at all, will you?" Cindy said, half-sardonically and half-accusingly. The look of her face turned to surprise as she saw my face turn deep red with furious anger and my gray eyes flash fire.

"Don't, Crowbar." the Sheriff said, seeing my look and putting his hand on my shoulder.

"I was just kidding, Don." Cindy said, though her voice didn't sound particularly apologetic.

"It's not funny---- ah, forget it." I spluttered. I got up to leave the room, knowing I had to get out of there before I lost control and went off on her.

"Going so soon?" asked the Chief. I just glared at him, then turned and exited the room, slamming the door behind me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*Whirrrrrrrrrrr*

At 7:50am, Tanya Muscone drove up to my office door. "Sir," she said, "in lieu of an Angels Meeting, can we meet with the Detectives in Classroom 'E'? Commander Croyle is welcome to attend, of course."

"Sure." I said. "I'll tell Teresa and the Chief, and you round up the Usual Suspects."

Ten minutes later, at 8:00am, we began the meeting. All of MCD and Vice were in there, as well as Lt. Mary Milton of Intel Branch and Lt. Commander Croyle. Chief Moynahan was still in a meeting with the Sheriff, and so was not in attendance.

"First of all," said Captain Muscone, "on behalf of everyone, and making the Sheriff very happy with my asskissing skills... that was a great Alison McFarland show last night, especially your part in it, Commander Croyle." Everyone applauded. Teresa nodded and slightly waved in acknowledgement.

"Did you bring that photo with you, ma'am?" Julia Rodriguez asked.

"It's at home." Teresa said. "I'l bring it in tomorrow for y'all to see, if you want."

"Sir," said Tanya, "we've got some information for you, that may pertain to the Block House Boyz drug case as well as the drug sugar case." She called upon Lt. Mary Milton.

"Sir," said Mary, "you remember Howard Little and Duncan Johnson who ran interference for the bastards that kidnapped Corporal Gunddottar, and were shot at the scene?" (Author's note: 'Consequences', Ch. 03-04.) I nodded, and Mary said "We've been digging into them like you asked, and we found some stuff."

Mary: "After Little and Johnson were released from prison a couple of years ago, they became foot soldiers for the Block House Boyz gang, mostly transporting trucks with drugs or money to and from associates they'd known in prison, making DEA, SBI=IDE and local drug stings a lot harder because they knew the others by sight. They otherwise laid low and never got caught again. As a side note, I think we're going to be coming across a lot of Jacquez Wilson disciples that stayed below the radar over the years." I nodded in agreement.

Mary: "Little and Johnson participated in the Ferguson Park riots in The City. We don't know why, and we don't know if they did it on their own, or if Wilson had them help out the rioters by marching with them. Either way, they were arrested, but the official City Police records show that they were released along with a lot of others."

Mary: "It took some digging, and we owe City Captain 'Coldiron' Masters and Detectives 'Sapper' Warren, and Robin Ventura some big favors, but we found out that Little and Johnson were secretly turned over to the Federal DEA, as they had prior drug charges and did 20 years."

I said "So that's why they weren't officially held, even though they had stout rap sheets."

Captain Muscone interjected, and said: "Yes sir, and there's more to it. I checked with my husband to find out what happened at the Federal level. He found out that the DEA in this region, SAC Lyndon and SSA Stevens and their guys, weren't the ones that picked Little and Johnson up. In fact, they had no record of taking custody of those perps at all."

Lt. Milton said "So Captain Masters looked into it in his official capacity as City Police Internal Affairs. The buried paperwork by the City P.D. was pretty standard C-Y-A stuff; they just created a record in case of blowback... like is happening right now. The Federal Agents that took custody of Little and Johnson were not DEA Agents, but pretending to be."

"Like that Agent Dixon I had the pleasure of shooting that time?" said Joanne Warner. (Author's note: 'A Tiny Slip', Ch. 02.)

"That's a good analogy." said Tanya Muscone. "Anyway, EAD Owen Lange touched base with some of his people, and found out that the so-called DEA Agents have ties to the National Security Agency itself."

"Robin Isley." I muttered.

"Neither they nor we could solidly confirm her involvement, sir." said Tanya. "Just the NSA itself."

"And what's more, sir," said Mary Milton, "Howard Little and Duncan Johnson may have been the go-betweens that arranged for Jacquez Wilson to buy the L-sugar-laced heroin and fentanyl that we busted the Block House Boyz with. Adding to the fun, Martha the M.E.'s autopsy's toxicology report came back, and showed that when those bozos attacked the Police in that suicide-by-cop mission, they were amped up on drugs that were similar to what the Consultant of Crime used to amp up his mercenary army." (Author's note: 'Six Degrees', among other places.)

"That's great work, guys.' I said. Dots are beginning to be connected. We're starting to get a real trail, here---"

"I hate to burst your bubble," said a voice as the door opened, "but you're going to have to shut it all down."

That voice belonged to FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone. Tanya's eyes lit up upon seeing her husband. Everyone else was dismayed at his words.

With Muscone was DEA Supervisory Special Agent Dwight Stevens, who said "We've been ordered to shut down the entire case... Operation CHICAGO SPICE, the theft of large amounts of bulk product, the appearance of some of that product in your County. It's all been classified at a higher level, in the name of (air quotes) 'national security', by the National Security Agency."

Everyone groaned, and Lt. Mary Milton looked particularly pissed. I said "Okay, then. Captain Muscone, have people generate Memoranda for the Record that our investigation occurred before the reclassification, so the Swamp Frogs can't come in and say we breached security."

"Wilco, sir." Tanya said dully.

"Okay, you guys wrap things up," I said, "and I'll have a word with these Federal Agents in my office..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"We got the word from our brass, the DEA Administrator and the Deputy Director of the FBI." said Muscone as we sat in my office. They'd accepted my offer of morning coffee, and we were all partaking of the Elixir of Life. "The Swamp Frogs weren't going to tell you guys in the TCPD about it. They were probably hoping to charge you with breaching national security and mishandling classified information."

"It wouldn't hold up," I replied "but it's definitely a dirty trick they'd try. So we must've been getting close to them."

Muscone: "We agree. We FBI guys were starting to get on the trail that was leading right to DNI Brendan Chapel, and the edict suddenly came down. Of course I'm wondering how shutting down the cases are in the interests of (air quotes) 'national security'."

"More like Chapel's personal security." I said. "Well, you guys are hamstrung now. Fortunately... I am not."

"Uh oh, what are you about to do?" asked Muscone as he and Dwight peered at me.

"Oh, nothing." I replied with one of 'those' smiles. "My hands are washed of this matter, as are yours."

"I hate it when he does that." said Dwight Stevens to Muscone, but very much loud enough for me to have heard it.

"I do have one question." I said. "Kevin Pitts. Did he tip off the DNI, and Robin Isley? Was he the go-between that set up the deal to sell the drugs to the Block House Boyz?"

"We were looking into that when the 'cease and desist' order came in." said Stevens. "So far, we don't have a thing to show he might be dirty. But we're going to transfer him... we're telling him it's a 'special assignment'... and we'll see what happens."

"Where are you sending him?" I asked.

"North Dakota." said Stevens. "Drugs have followed the workers into the oil fields up there."

"Great. A black man in North Dakota. He'll really blend in up there." I said.

"And we'll see what Pitts does and how he reacts to things." said Muscone. "In other news, we've put Jen Sakai's name on the 'no fly list', and we're watching her pretty carefully. She's still holed up in Houston, but the only phone calls in or out have been with her mother and her brother."

"She wouldn't be stupid enough to use her own phone to contact anyone but her family." I said. "I'll be curious to see what she does. It should be instructive for the FBI, to see her methods of escaping the country..."

Part 20 - The UNION At Work

7:30pm, Thursday, July 9th. Union Hall was the traditional building where various Union meetings were held. It was where Union leader Jack Naples was murdered (Author's note: 'Hampered In His Plans', Ch. 02-03.), and it was full of Police Officers this night.

Robert Kalsu and Micah Rudistan were the de facto spokesmen for the meeting. The Union Rep, the one that had been trying to get me fired from the moment all this first started, was wearing an expensive suit. He tried to take over the meeting, saying "We're here to answer your questions about this situation----"

"That is not why we're here!" Kalsu said, rising to his feet and coming forward. "This meeting is to start the process of decertifying the Union. You were invited here to give your side of it. But don't try to trick us into thinking this is anything but the beginning of the decertification process."

As the meeting went on, one salient point came out, as espoused by Patrolman Sims, who moonlighted as security at Eastside Elementary: "I'm on Commander Troy's side in this. McCombs is a racist, and McElwane is a dirtbag. But I don't want to decertify the Union. I want the Union there, speaking for us during contract negotiation, and supporting us in this era of politicians throwing us under the bus in the name of political correctness."

Patrolman McElwane spoke: "I'm not voting to decertify, and I'm prepared to file a lawsuit to prevent it. My grievance is exactly why we need the Union; without the Union, Commander Troy would've already retaliated against me, and probably ginned up something to get me fired, and that's after he abused my Constitutional rights and my rights to have a Union rep when he interrogated me."

"He didn't interrogate you after you asked for a rep." shouted Lieutenant Jerome Davis, standing up to oppose McElwane.

"Yes he did!" McElwane said.