Surefoot 26: Who We Are

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Kit-" Hrelle butted in.

But the Qarari raised a hand. "You... are inspirational, Sir. You have taught me many, many things, more than I can say now, or ever. One of those things was courage: the courage to face an enemy in order to help and protect others. It was that lesson which helped spur me towards speaking out about my experiences, to inspire those back home who might feel as I did, who felt like they were alone, without allies or option... or hope.

Now perhaps I realise that it is not enough for me to be here, in safety, preaching to others who cannot escape their oppression as I have. Perhaps I need to return and be more than just words, more than just a voice?"

"Assuming they let you?" Kami pointed out.

"Kit," Hrelle cut in, more loudly. "You're not going anywhere! I don't care what you want, I won't allow it."

"Then, Sir, with the greatest of respect... how will you be any different from those who have come to take me against my will?"

Hrelle frowned. "Because I have your best interests in mind! They don't!"

"They think they do too, Sir." He turned to leave.

"Kit," Kami almost pleaded, "Please..."

He stopped and regarded her, smiling. "Qarari females do not live in clutches with males; males meet with them only for conception, they produce eggs, hatch them, and give the hatchlings to the males to raise separately. I never knew my mother. But had my society been different, and my mother had been a part of my life... then I like to imagine she would be very much like you." Then he drew back. "I need to prepare. Please excuse me."

"Kit-" Hrelle repeated.

But the cadet finally departed with uncharacteristic incivility.

Hrelle looked to his wife. "I didn't expect that."

Kami nodded. "It's a facade. He's afraid."

"Can't blame him."

"Do you want me to stay with him? Keep trying to convince him he doesn't have to be brave and stupid, like you?"

Hrelle eyed her as she smirked. Then he shrugged. "He'll be okay; Sasha and his other friends will be with him. I have some more calls to make... And so do you. I'm hitting some bureaucratic walls, and I could use your charm."

"How true."

*

Kit was striding back towards his quarters when he stopped at the voice. "Kit!"

He stopped, surprised by the bittersweet feelings the voice brought in him. "Intimate Friend Hafsa, it is pleasing to see you again-"

He stopped as she practically meteored into his arms, clutching him tightly. "I just heard, Kit! I'm sorry, I'm so sorry! They can't do this to you!"

Kit struggled as much with his own emotions as with the effort to breathe in her grip. "It's- it's okay-"

But then she pulled back, her upset eclipsed by her anger. "No! No, it isn't! It's damned wrong! My father's First Officer on the Potemkin, I've already sent him an urgent message about it! And there are others doing the same!"

"Others?"

She nodded, taking his hand in hers and smiling slightly. "Your friends. Come on."

"No, please, I need to pack-"

"No, you don't. Come on!"

She led him below deck, ignoring his attempts to stop and speak, until they entered the Shuttlebay, and he saw Alpha Squad and many other cadets milling about the shuttle Sureswift. "Very Good Friends, I-"

Sasha was coordinating something with Rrori, Jonas and Neraxis, but now she strode up to him. "Kit, it's all been worked out! No need to worry!"

"Worry, Respected Squad Leader?"

She nodded. "We know. We all know. And we're doing something about it." She led him closer to the shuttle. "Jonas has disabled the onboard comm system and transponder and altered shield harmonics to mask the energy signature, Neraxis and Thykrill have configured the microprobes to emit false signals in different directions, and Rrori has volunteered to pilot you to Ceti Delta III."

"Ceti Delta III? But why?"

Hafsa grinned. "To get you away from your people, of course! But officially, we'll be on a scientific expedition!"

"We?"

"Yes, Kit, we. I'm coming along with you for company." She grinned. "Unless you're sick of me after our one time together?"

"Not at all! Indeed, I would be eager for uninterrupted coitus with you at the earliest opportunity."

"What a sweet talker," Neraxis quipped.

"But wait- you, all of you, you can't do this-"

"Yes we can, Kit," Sasha confirmed. "And if the worst comes to the worst and they're still after you, then we'll get you to Deep Space Nine. I've heard of a Ferengi there who might be able to get you some fake IDs. And we have some gold pressed latinum strips to pay for them, and maybe even passage to a non-aligned world."

Kit looked around him in disbelief. "My Very Good Friends, you should not be doing this! You are risking your careers!"

Eydiir clasped him by the shoulder. "It would not be much of a career were we to allow you to be treated like this."

"Indeed," Rrori agreed, "If I did nothing, I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror. And I like doing that a lot."

Sasha grinned. "We're not doing anything wrong, Kit! No one's ordered us not to help you, after all!"

"No one should have to," chided a new voice.

All eyes turned to Neheru, the tall, spindly Kelpien seemingly stepping out of nowhere as he walked up to the group. "I doubt if a Starfleet Board of Inquiry will appreciate your verbal legerdemain, Ensign Hrelle."

Sasha stepped forward. "Lieutenant, we were just preparing some drills-"

He held up a hand. "Save your lies, Ensign. I know that you are aware of Cadet Kitirik's imminent departure, I have noted the huge increase in urgent communications requests from the cadets to their families and friends, the lack of off-duty cadets in the Rec Lounge and Mess Hall, and the flight logs and security clearances Ensign Falok just attempted to secretly enter into the ship's records without my knowledge. I may not be the brightest star in the constellation, but one does not have to be a Sherlock Houses to work out your intentions." He looked around at the cadets. "No shuttles will be leaving today. Cease this activity and leave the Shuttlebay at once, and I will forget any of this occurred."

Sasha glanced at those around her, before stepping forward, coming to attention and announcing, "Sir, with all due respect... I will not be leaving."

Jonas stepped up now. "Sir, with all due respect... I will not be leaving."

Eydiir joined them. "Sir, with all due respect... I will not be leaving."

And others stepped up, all declaring the same thing, ensuring Kit remained protected behind them.

Neheru stayed silent, taking it all in, until the assembled protestors had made their stand. Then he tapped his combadge. "Lt Neheru to Commander T'Varik: if you are available, please come to the Shuttlebay. Immediately."

*

USS Starsong, Deck 1 Fore -- Captain's Ready Room:

"Captain, we have a secure incoming transmission."

While his Bridge crew busied themselves with the impromptu assignment given them, Weynik secretly monitored the content of some of the transmissions, identified the cadet Hrelle had mentioned, learned more about him and read between the lines of the various communiques. And the more Weynik learned, the angrier he grew.

So he knew his response to the interruption was sharper than perhaps it should have been. "I would hope so, Commander! I ordered you to do nothing for the last three hours but to ensure the transmissions to and from the Surefoot get through without problems or delays!"

"No, Sir, this one is directed at you, from Admiral Trenagen at Starfleet Intelligence HQ."

Weynik sat up, setting aside his PADD. "Onscreen." As the white-haired, broad-nosed, elderly human male appeared on his desktop screen, he nodded to it. "Admiral, to what do I owe the honour?"

"Captain Weynik, it has come to the attention of my offices that you are delivering communications to and from the USS Surefoot."

Weynik forced down his anger to reply curtly, "Yes, Sir."

Trenagen paused, clearly expecting more, before finally asking, "And why are you doing this?"

"The Surefoot is experiencing technical problems. They have urgent communications to be relayed. They asked for assistance. We're providing it."

"I see. Just yourselves?"

As if you didn't know, Weynik thought. "No, Admiral. The Valiant, the Columbia, the Si Shen, the Hyperion, the Damascus and others. We're all assisting."

"I see. How spirited of you all."

Weynik shook his head. "Spirit has nothing to do with it, Admiral. General Order 5 requires us to come to the aid of other Starfleet vessels and crews in distress."

"Indeed -- though perhaps not at the expense of the greater good."

"You're right, Admiral. Maybe instead we should all focus on who or what has limited the Surefoot's communications ability, at a time when they need it the most? Perhaps someone in Starfleet Intelligence might have the answer to that?"

Trenagen's brow furrowed. "You and the other ships in your sector have existing missions that are now being interrupted, all for the sake of one individual."

Weynik folded his hands on his chest. "One individual, being targeted by his people. What they believe, what they want to do, is barbaric."

Trenagen stared hard at him. "One could say the same about aspects of the Klingon Empire, and yet they remain valued allies. Tolerance for other cultures should be a cornerstone of a Starfleet officers mindset -- especially a culture which can benefit with greater contact from outside sources like the Federation."

"And very especially if they have something to offer us, right? And reading between the lines, by your reckoning, that's more important than this Cadet Kitirik's rights."

"It is most unfortunate about the cadet, but we have greater responsibilities. As the Vulcans say, 'The needs of the Many outweigh the needs of the Few, or the One'."

Weynik grunted. "People like referencing that. But they never use the full quote: 'The needs of the Many outweigh the needs of the Few, or the One -- but the only truly ethical choice can be made by the Few, or the One.' The Vulcans never intended for it to be used to justify minority persecution." His expression hardened. "Or base treachery."

The Admiral's expression narrowed. "Clearly your friendship with Hrelle is having a perilous effect on you."

"If you are referring to Captain Hrelle, the only time I'm in peril with him is when I get in his way when he's racing to the buffet table. Admiral, we're both busy men, so let's cut to the chase: are you ordering me not to assist in saving an innocent young man, a decorated fellow member of Starfleet, from conscription, persecution, mutilation, by a foreign government trying to claim him?"

"No, Captain. Of course not."

"Good. Because when I defy an Admiral's orders, I prefer it to be my father's; I like to keep it in the family. Starsong out."

*

USS Surefoot-A, Deck 4 Fore -- Shuttlebay:

Commander T'Varik entered, immediately counting the number of cadets present, noting that it had increased since Lt Neheru's report, and now included Gamma Squad, who were meant to be on duty on the Bridge at this time.

She also noted the phaser sidearms in holsters on the Security cadets, obviously obtained from the weapons lockers onboard the shuttles. Not drawn, but still present, implying the strength of the resolve behind the cadets' actions.

She ignored the Second Officer to stride up to the obvious leader of the rebellion. "Ensign Hrelle, you will cease this activity immediately."

Sasha stood to attention. "I must respectfully decline, Ma'am."

"You are deliberately defying a direct order from a superior officer?"

After a reluctant pause, Sasha replied, "Reluctantly, yes, Ma'am."

T'Varik paused, relaxing her stance as she saw Kit standing in the back, close beside Cadet Al-Samra. "Sasha, I am not unmindful of the reasons for these actions, nor am I unsympathetic. The Captain, the Counselor and myself have been in communication with a number of different avenues of appeal. These have been transmitted, and their eventual success will be assured."

Sasha visibly reacted, before asking, "But will a response be received before the Qarari come to take Kit?"

"That... cannot be guaranteed."

"Then, with respect, until the safety and security of my crewman can be guaranteed, we will be remaining here."

T'Varik stared hard at her, before looking to the others, first the other Squad Leaders, then the rest of the cadets. "I am ordering you to return to your duties, or to your quarters. Failure to obey will result in charges of insubordination being filed against all involved. I should not have to elucidate the effects of such charges on your burgeoning careers. Depart now, and nothing further will be said of it."

She watched them glance at each other, shift in place, heard them murmuring. But no one moved.

T'Varik reached up and tapped her combadge. "Security Alert: Lieutenant C'Rash, report to the Shuttlebay with a Security team immediately."

That triggered a reaction among them, and with Lt Neheru. "Commander! Do you really think that's necessary? Their reasons are-"

"-Not the issue," she finished for him, as she continued to stare at Sasha, who had stiffened on hearing the call for Security, but otherwise kept her composure.

The Vulcan listened to the doors sliding open behind her, and four pairs of footfalls, one of them she recognised as the Chief of Security, her sibilant Caitian tone curious as she drew up, regarding the cadets and asking, "Commander?"

T'Varik folded her hands behind her back. "I have ordered these cadets to disperse. They have refused. I am charging them with gross insubordination. They need to be confined to the Brig."

Voices ran through the cadets.

C'Rash looked to the First Officer. "Commander, if we put thirty cadets in our Brig they'd be packed in there like Gideonites."

"I see. Then the best alternative is have them confined here indefinitely, pending my investigation." She took a microsecond to gauge -- and secretly enjoy -- the reaction on Sasha's face, before continuing. "They may utilise the facilities on the shuttles for food and hygiene. But none of them are permitted to leave... or to be taken from here... without my clearance. This includes Cadet Kitirik. Is that understood?"

C'Rash smiled. "Yes, Commander."

T'Varik focused on Sasha, who looked visibly relieved. "Do not relax just yet, Ensign. My orders may still be countermanded upon the arrival of the Qarari delegation. As you will not be distracted by trivialities such as ship duty and final exams, I suggest you use the opportunity to devise alternative delaying tactics."

In the rear of the group, Hafsa clung onto Kit's arm, grinning. "That was close!"

Kit was pale. "Yes."

She looked to him, before tugging on his arm and leading him away, into the open doorway of the Sureswift, and then into the sleeping quarters. Kit glanced around. "Intimate Friend Hafsa, despite my earlier proclamation about resuming coitus with you, I do not believe it is appropriate at this time-"

She raised a hand to his mouth. "I didn't bring you in here for that. I want to know why you're looking so glum, when we're all working hard for you?"

The Qarari's throat fluttered, and he slumped down onto one of the bunks, staring across at the blank wall opposite. "You are all working hard for me. The Most Respected Senior Officers are all working hard for me. But no one is listening to me."

"Listening to you? Of course we are, Kit-"

"NO!" Now he faced her. "You are not! You are all risking so much, when I am prepared to return and present my case to my people in person!"

"But you'd do the same for any of us, silly!"

"Forgive my rudeness, Hafsa, but we are not in that situation, we are in this one! And I..."

She took his hands in her own, squeezing. "What is it? You don't have to brave about all this-"

"I'M NOT!" Tears welled up around the lower half of his round, bronze-black eyes. "That's just it! I have tried to be brave! I have tried to be noble! I have tried to insist that all of you should not be doing this for me, that I was ready to return and face my people again." His voice cracked. "But I'm... I'm not. I'm... terrified."

Hafsa's own eyes welled up now. "Of course you are, Kit. Who wouldn't be?"

His throat fluttered. "I knew I was different from when I was just a hatchling. I would secretly read science and medical texts. I would pretend to be a doctor or scientist. I would ask questions of others about it -- until I learned not to.

I knew from such a very young age that what I felt about myself went against our Behest, the teaching of our Gods, and against our laws. And it upset and angered my clutch. All of them- no. Not all. I had an older brother, Arishkigel. He loved me, regardless. He didn't understand how I could feel this way. But he at least tried.

But the others? My fathers and other brothers? They would have preferred if I'd been dropped when I was still in the egg.

And I felt guilty over the trouble I was causing. I hated myself for being like that. I... tried to kill myself because of it.

And... if they take me, change me back into what I was... I fear I will do it again...

I don't want to go. I need you. I need all of you. I am so weak-"

He broke down, Hafsa holding onto him tightly as she told him softly, "No. You're not weak. You're strong. Asking for help from those around you doesn't mean you're weak. It means that you just want to stay strong.

And you will..."

*

Deck 2 Fore -- Bridge:

Hrelle stopped as he entered, finding Lt Neheru -- alone. "What's going on?"

The young Kelpien rose from the chair and faced him. "Sir! The, ah, the cadets have, ah... taken over the Shuttlebay. They are protecting Cadet Kitirik, and refuse to leave or let him leave. We still have a skeleton crew manning essential stations; as we are at full stop here and not on Red Alert, I can manage here alone for the interim."

He blinked. "And let me guess: is the leader of this mutiny my daughter?"

"Yes, Sir. I made Commander T'Varik aware of the situation; she has officially confined them to that area pending disciplinary procedures, and has assigned a Security team to guard them- I mean, guard over them, of course." He tried his best to conceal his amusement. He failed. "Sir, any word about-"

"I've contacted everyone I can, and now we play the Waiting Game." He looked at the main viewscreen. "Which, based on your announcement that called me here, is about to end."

"Yes, Sir. The USS Coventry has arrived." He glanced down at a signal on the arm of the command chair. "And they are signalling us. Audio only."

Hrelle looked up again at the small, sleek, modular Aerie-class vessel, noting from the tactical data that it was proverbially flying diplomatic colours - meaning they were untouchable. No matter how much Hrelle wanted to touch them. "Let's hear them."

Seconds later, a young, brash male voice made his ears twitch. "Surefoot, this is Galactic High Commissioner Franklin Burnsworth." He spoke every syllable of his title and name with gravitas. "We are here to collect your prisoner. Beam him over immediately."

"Commissioner Burnsworth, this is Captain Hrelle. Complications have arisen, and we are unable to comply."

"Complications? What are you talking about? Do your job, Hrelle, and send the prisoner to us!"

Neheru glanced up at Hrelle, clearly as nonplussed as he was over the rudeness. Hrelle bit back his initial response to explain, "As I said, Sir, complications have arisen, but I think it would be best if we discussed it face to face. Perhaps I should beam over and-"