Surefoot 30: Class of 2372

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Eye Eye, Mama!"

Hrelle found Goldstein, Arrington and the other senior officers together. "It's another attack, but fortunately appears to be the only one."

"This would be in keeping with the prior reported attacks," T'Varik noted. "Control should be restored shortly."

Lt C'Rash stepped up. "Excuse me, Ma'am, but there are emergency tunnels running under the campus grounds, leading to all the major buildings; they were built after the Xindi Incident, kept sealed up but I understand they're still usable."

"We can lead the civilians away," Bill Arrington suggested.

Hrelle shook his head. "To where? Public transport's shut down out there. This is the largest, safest, most secure facility for them for now."

"Agreed," Goldstein looked to Trenagen and Arrington. "You could use them, though, to get to Campus Ops, see if you can coordinate efforts there." To C'Rash she asked, "Can you guide them?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"You're not coming with us?" Arrington asked.

"My place is here, with the cadets and their families." Suddenly the lights above came to life. "We're back online!" She tapped her combadge. "Ops! Security! Come in!"

Hrelle glanced outside, seeing the nearby buildings still cloaked in darkness. "No, it's just us. Sasha said her people were working on getting us power-"

As if on cue, Sasha strode up, stood to attention and faced Goldstein, the ranking officer. "Ma'am, Ensign Sasha Hrelle reporting: Our CMO Doctor Masterson is leading the Medical and Science cadets in checking everyone for injuries; they've reported only minor scrapes, and shock. And as you can see, we've restored lighting and environmental controls to the Hall."

Goldstein fixed on her. "And how did you manage that?"

"The Utilities Building is next door, Ma'am; we used the tunnels to gain access, and we hooked up the fusion batteries from the lawn mowers stored there."

"You managed this without tools?" T'Varik asked.

"We didn't need tools, Commander. We have a Jonas."

The Vulcan nodded in understanding.

Sasha looked back at Goldstein. "Ma'am, we've also taken the liberty of commandeering the blankets and towels there waiting to be recycled, and the food that was being stored there for the buffet later. And since the toilet facilities here aren't equipped to manage this many people, we're guiding the more able-bodied down there to use those in the Utilities."

"The tunnels are extensive down there, Ensign," C'Rash pointed out. "If the civilians start wandering-"

"No one's wandering down there, Lieutenant; I have the Security cadets posted to keep them in line." She looked at Goldstein. "Ma'am, with your permission we're prepared to recalibrate your combadges to operate with the Surefoot systems, to relay messages to and from wherever required. The campus facilities are still off-power, but we have cadets on standby ready to use the tunnels to go wherever you want to deliver more of our own combadges there-"

Goldstein held up a hand. "Thank you, Ensign, but Lt C'Rash will be escorting Admirals Arrington and Trenagen to Ops via the tunnels now, and she can act as our communications link there with her own badge. But it was a good idea, Ensign. Keep them coming."

"Thank you, Ma'am. May I return to work now?"

Goldstein nodded, indulging in a smile as the young woman turned and departed.

Hrelle just indulged in a broad proud grin.

"What a capable young woman," Trenagen noted, as he followed C'Rash and Arrington away.

Hrelle gave him a look, feelings his hackles rise.

*

Ma'Sala found Mi'Tree sitting alone in a far corner of the Hall. She strode up to him, keeping her voice low as she glared at him. "If any other male bared their teeth to our grandcub, I'd knock those teeth down his throat. Give me a good reason not to do the same to you."

He never looked up, his voice leaden. "I have none. I have no excuse for what I did. I am a contemptible wretch."

She folded her arms across her chest. "You're certainly a self-pitying one; I suppose I should have realised a rutting wouldn't have fully shaken the maudlin funk from your bones. You should have been one of the first ones in here. Why were you one of the last?"

He breathed out. "I wanted to help. I wanted to be useful. Like I was on the Surefoot, when those hideous Vlathi attacked us." He nodded to himself. "I was useful then, wasn't I?"

"More than useful; you were vital. You fought very well, especially for someone whose only prior combat experience involved pushy media journalists and drunken prettytails. But that was a different situation: most of our kin-son's crew were trapped, and there was no choice. What you did today wasn't out of necessity, but an attempt to bolster your pride."

"I know." Tears streamed down the sides of his muzzle. "Sasha and Esek will never forgive me."

"Of course they will, ass." Ma'Sala lowered her arms and relaxed her stance. "As will I." She held out a hand. "Come with me."

He looked up, wiping his snout. "Why? Do you intend to kill me in private?"

"Not today. Do you still want to help? Do you still want to be useful? Come with me, and let me show you how."

Slowly he rose, took her hand and limped beside her, as she guided him through the crowds to another corner of the Hall, where most of the younger children of the guests, including the Nemm family, sat in a circle facing Kami. Misha sat on her lap, as she pointed to the parts of his face. "And a Caitian's nose is very, very sensitive; a cub Misha's age could find his mother and father even across several kilometres. The sense of smell is very important to our people; we hug so that we can take in each other's scent..."

"What can I do here?" Mi'Tree muttered.

"You can take over and entertain the cubs while our daughter Counsels their parents."

He ground his teeth. "This again? I'm not going to be the bloody Taleteller, not here or on the Motherworld. I'm an action star."

She shook her head. "You were an action star. And no one will ever take that away from you. This is a new role, with new responsibilities, and a new audience who need distraction and reassurance. You have undeniable charisma, and your voice is soothing and expressive. Kami used to love the bedtime stories, much more than when I told them."

He grunted.

"Do not dismiss the power and responsibility given here, Mi'Tree. Taletellers have influenced more lives than politicians or warriors. They don't just tell stories, they give advice and counsel, they comfort and reassure. They are a certainty in an uncertain life."

He grunted again.

"Of course, I don't blame you," she admitted. "Who'd want the Taleteller gig anyway? There's half a billion cubs on the Motherworld and our colonies who watch it regularly, cubs too young to see your Clawback vivids. You'd be constantly hounded wherever you go, fans messaging you, asking for autographs, interviews, clips of your fur... all that attention-"

He shook off her hand. "Get out of my way, woman." He smiled broadly as he stepped forward. "Hello, cubs! And how are you all doing today?"

*

"Yes, Ensign," Neheru was reported. "Power and communications are still out, but they've re-established control over the Weathernet, though it'll take a little more time to restore a normal weather pattern in your area."

"Thanks, Lieutenant! Hrelle out!" Sasha turned to the other squad leaders. "We'll need to get ready to head out and search the campus for injured, people who didn't make it inside in time when the storm struck. As our combadge network is still functioning, we should team up with the other squads-"

"Excuse me."

They turned. Squad Leader Carradine stood there with several of his fellows, sneering as he asked, "And just who the hell put you in charge anyway?"

"Captain Hrelle did," Falok informed him.

"Oh of course, Captain Daddy! We should have guessed!"

"Carradine, this isn't about who's in charge," Sasha reminded him sharply. "There could be people trapped, hurt out there! Campus Operations will be stretched thin already, they're gonna need our help. We're not out to step on anyone's toes, but our squads have had more practical experience with emergencies-"

"Well, lucky you! We're not taking orders from another Ensign!"

"A good point," Goldstein pointed out.

The cadets snapped to attention as the Superintendent stepped forward, ignoring Carradine to focus on Sasha, her expression serious. "Ensign Hrelle, I was seeking you out to see if you could organise the cadets into search and rescue parties, but you appear to have anticipated that need already... again." She made a concessionary glance at Carradine. "But a good point was raised. You are exceeding your duties as an Ensign."

"Yes, Ma'am," Sasha admitted, reddening. "My apologies-"

"Don't apologise; you were sent to do a job without the proper tools." She reached up to her own collar, removing to of the pips on her Admiral insignia, before pinning them on either side of Sasha's own ensign insignia, raising her voice so everyone around could hear. "Effectively immediately I am awarding you a field promotion to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade."

As the other cadets reacted to this, Sasha just let her mouth open, offering, "Uh- are you- are you sure about this, Ma'am?"

Goldstein smiled. "These aren't the proper pips; they should be hollow, not solid ones, but they'll do until you get to a fabricator. But I'll want these back, I've had them for years, Lieutenant."

"Uh- yes, Ma'am, I will, promise."

"Good." She stepped back and offered her hand.

Sasha quickly took it, as cadets whooped, cheered and applauded her, before it quickly died down, and she added, "Thank you, Ma'am."

Goldstein grunted. "Don't thank me. I've given you more than pips today. I've given you responsibility, reports, burdens, sleepless nights... and it'll get worse the higher you go."

She stepped back and looked around her. "These aren't gold stars or congratulatory stickers from your teacher for colouring within the lines. These are duties. And if people receive them, it's because they've earned them, by shedding blood, sweat and tears. Don't look on colleagues who have been in battle, have laboured through crises, as 'lucky'. The only luck they're feeling themselves is that they made it through in one piece."

She looked at Sasha once more. "I want a report on your plans for a search and rescue pattern in five minutes, Lieutenant."

Sasha barely suppressed her smile. "Yes, Ma'am!"

Goldstein started away -- but then stopped in front of Carradine. "Mr Carradine, I have a special task for you. Something that will require a particular amount of courage on your part. Do you think you can handle it?"

Carradine straightened up and beamed. "Yes, Ma'am!"

"Good. I want you to find Captain Hrelle, and inform him that you have been running around here like a putz referring to him as 'Captain Daddy', because you believed his daughter and her colleagues didn't earn the recognition they have received. Then you'll apologise to him." She leaned in. "It's important that you use the word 'putz'. He'll know what it means."

Carradine blanched, eyes wide. "Y-Yes, Ma'am."

As the Superintendent departed, Giles, Eydiir, Neraxis and others drew in closer to Sasha, shaking her hand or slapping her on the back, while the young woman still appeared dazed, looking to Giles. "I'm not dreaming, am I? That did happen, didn't it?"

Giles laughed, hugging her. "I think you'll need a drink after this."

She nodded. "A whole round of them."

Beside them, Neraxis turned and shouted, "Hey, everyone, the first round at the Schooner's on the new Lieutenant!"

As the announcement provoked cheers, Sasha turned to her friend and told her where she could stick her bald blue Bolian head.

*

Sitting outside the circle of children, Kami adjusted the napping Misha in her arms, her smile broad as she watched her father in the centre, spinning an improvised tale, his voice and hands sculpting the picture he described as if born to it.

"And there were three of the hideous huge Vlathi slithering along the Surefoot Shuttlebay," he continued, his arms snaking in illustration, making hissing and snapping sounds that made some of the younger rapt members of his audience start. "Drawing closer, ever closer, to the sleeping figure of Princess Kami."

"What are they gonna do to her?" Alazia whispered, wide-eyed.

Mi'Tree leaned in closer, his voice low. "If they're not stopped... they'll gobble her up!"

"No," the little girl denied in a murmur.

"Yes," he intoned dramatically, looking around at the others. "At least, that's what the vile creatures think they'll do! But they haven't reckoned on the captain of the Surefoot. The bravest, strongest, most fearsome Captain in all of Starfleet, a captain who puts fear into the hearts of all dastardly villainous throughout the Galaxy: Captain Misha!"

As Kami stifled a laugh, Mi'Tree drew back, drawing his hands out like he was casting spells. "He swung out and leapt between the Vlathi and Princess Kami, stared at the three monstrous fiends, bared his claws and teeth and declared, 'No! You will not have this woman! Not now, not ever! I swear it!' And he drew back, and he let loose deep from within the mightiest roar that had ever been heard! RRROOOOAAAARRRR!" He looked around, grinning. "Come on, roar with me!"

The children made their own roars. Mi'Tree cheered with delight at their efforts, then looked past them to his daughter, pointing at her. "You too, Missy! You're not too old to roar!"

Kami grinned and gave him a roar. In her arms, Misha roared in his sleep, turning her own roar into a laugh.

*

"USS Surefoot-A, Captain's Log, Stardate 49570.44, Captain Esek Hrelle recording: Starfleet Security has regained control of Earth's Weather Modification Grid and restored a clear blue sky over San Francisco, and power and communications have been restored. There has been considerable damage to both the Academy grounds and the Bay Area, but fortunately no serious injuries reported.

It is the decision of the Superintendent that once the debris has been cleared away from the field, the graduation ceremony will recommence, not just because many of the attendants are on tight travel schedules back to other worlds, but because we must show those responsible for today's terrorist act that they will not shake our resolve, that life goes on regardless.

On a purely and shamelessly personal note, I must offer my congratulations to my daughter for her promotion; at this rate, I suspect she'll make Admiral before I do. And probably be more deserving.

I'm gonna get so verklempt when I see her up there giving her Valedictorian speech..."

*

Sasha walked up to the podium, her heart racing as she looked out at the hundreds of people gathered there, looking up at her, waiting for her words of wisdom. Assuming she had any. She felt ready to pee herself in front of them all, which she supposed would make for an interesting variation on the usual speeches.

In the sidelines near the front, Misha stood between his parents, taking advantage of the moment's silence to wave and call out, "HI SASHA!"

The triggered laughter from everyone around him, including his sister, as she smiled and waved back, before facing her audience once more and proceeding. "I had a speech prepared, mostly; I wasn't sure about the ending. I looked for appropriately stirring or inspirational quotes from Shakespeare or Yeats or Tarbolde. After about eighteen hours of deliberation I was at the point where I thought I'd end up doing a tap dance or a puppet show or something."

The audience laughed, warming her up. "I suppose the main thing I want to say is that... I don't know how deserving I am of this honour. But I know how grateful I am. Grateful to all those who have helped get me to where I am today: our Academy Superintendent Admiral Goldstein, Commander T'Varik, Counselor Hrelle, Lieutenants C'Rash and Neheru, and all the officers and crew of the USS Surefoot -- the best ship in the fleet by the way, in case you were wondering."

As her friends cheered that, she grinned. "And most especially my father." She looked at him, grinning as she saw him repeatedly wipe the tears from his muzzle. "He has given me unwavering love, support, encouragement and inspiration... and has always graciously kept me from putting on too much weight by helping himself to all the food on my plate."

That triggered more laughter, and a Thumbs Up from him.

Sasha looked out again, more soberly now. "And I suppose I should offer some advice, though I question the sanity of anyone looking to me for wisdom. Today's events might have brought home to some of you for the first time how easily our way of life can be disrupted by outside agencies. This, sadly, was not my first time. I have learned long ago that Sometimes the Universe Has Other Plans. I have lost. I have been hurt-"

She stopped as she caught a glimpse of Trenagen in the audience, watching and listening.

"I know what threats are out there," she continued, staring back at him. "But the greatest threats you'll face will not come from the Dominion, the Klingons, or the Romulans, not from criminal or terrorist organisations or natural disasters... but from the temptation to forget our principles. We can so easily be deceived into letting fear drive us into desperation, into justifying compromising our principles to do what we think is necessary to protect ourselves.

But I say No. I will not compromise who I am. It's too precious. Thank you."

The audience broke into applause. Trenagen continued to regard Sasha.

And at the sidelines, unseen, Ma'sala regarded Trenagen.

*

The sun was setting by the time the delayed ceremony had finally finished: twilight was chased back by the awakening lights along the campus paths, as cadets and family and faculty still mingled. Hrelle was kept busy pressing the flesh with everyone he met, many congratulating him for Sasha. He was as polite as he could be... but he wanted to be with his family.

Then his combadge chirped. "Captain, this is Neheru. There is a Priority One message for you; I have been instructed by Starfleet Command to beam you onboard immediately to accept it. I'm sorry, Sir."

Before Hrelle could reply, he felt himself being transported away...

*

In another part of the campus, Sasha nearly ran into T'Varik. "Commander! Hi there! I'm glad to finally run into you!"

The Vulcan stopped, relaxing her posture. "As I, you. Please accept my congratulations on your promotion."

"Thanks." Then Sasha quickly suppressed her emotion to offer a more composed, professional facade. "Commander, I just wanted to say that it has been an honour to have learned from you."

"I imagine so."

That broke Sasha's attempts, and she cursed.

"That sounds more like the young woman I know," T'Varik noted warmly. "And I share some measure of honour to have been involved in your development."

"Thank you." She breathed out, absently touching her collar. "Commander, I know I'm not your cadet anymore, but... may I call upon your wisdom and objectivity one more time?"

She folded her arms behind her back. "I will always be available to you for that, whether it is as your teacher or your friend."

Sasha smiled, but then grew serious again. "Commander... do I deserve to be a Lieutenant? It was a fluke that this terrorist happened during graduation-"

"Indeed. But your reaction was not a fluke. You stepped forward and took charge, formulated a plan of action that was accepted by your superiors, motivated your crew, and exceeded expectations. Your response was not the result of a spontaneous whim on your part, but the culmination of a lifetime of experience and expertise as a civilian and as a cadet."

1...456789