Surefoot 38: The War Watchers

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers

She watched him storm off, and murmured to herself, "'Sasha', huh? Your Freudian Slip is showing, Husband of Mine."

*

"USS Surefoot-A, Captain's Log, Stardate 50039.13, Captain Esek Hrelle, commanding: we have received the time and place for the rendezvous with the Augr, and are about to collect Prince Assh- Prince Isole and his sister along the way. Fortunately, the timetable for meeting with the Klingons means the Nekrosi won't be with us for long, but hopefully long enough to smooth things over with them..."

*

Kami set the cup of tea down beside the cadet, before settling herself down on the couch beside her, leaning back and half-resting her own cup on the bulge at her abdomen. She smiled at it. "Give it a few months, and I'll be able to balance a three-course dinner here."

Zir smiled politely; her scent and posture remained tense, prompting the Counselor to assure her, "You're here because of what happened on that planet -- but you're not in trouble because of it."

Zir's stance shifted; she wasn't relaxed, but she no longer appeared on a knife edge. "I thought- because I didn't react to- to what they were-"

"As I understand it, you did react," Kami corrected her gently. "And in fact you reacted quite appropriately. You made it quite clear to those privileged jerks that you were performing your duties as a member of Starfleet, you were polite, insistent, but they refused to listen. And then someone put their hands on you without your permission, disregarded your rights to your own integrity. You're not at fault. And, given what you had to endure to escape the Orion homeworld, the Captain and I want to make sure that you understood that."

Zir's olive-green skin darkened, her voice rose an octave and she tensed like a spring again. "The Captain- Gods, he knows what I did to- to-?"

Kami quickly set down her cup and took Zir's hand in hers, holding it warmly. "Not the full details, but... we both know he's familiar enough with your people's society to guess the rest. And no, he doesn't judge you... except to hold you in even higher esteem. You did what you had to do... something he understands more than maybe anyone else you'll know." She smiled. "You have people who care for you here. I promise."

And as she spoke reassuringly, she purred under her breath, letting her trills run through her touch and into the Orion girl, she watched the girl react to the subliminal influence; it was a simple trick, usually employed for tiny mewling cubs and didn't always work as well on adults or non-Caitians, but it seemed to do the trick here.

Finally Zir nodded and even offered a smile. "Thank you, Counselor. I mean it."

Kami smiled back and let her go. "I know you do; I'm an excellent judge of character." Then she sobered, slightly. "For instance, I also know that you're stronger than even the Captain gives you credit for."

"Stronger? I- I don't understand-"

"Well, another reason you're in here now is because that miscreant who touched you, and who got his ass rightly handed to him by my husband, is apparently a Prince Isole, a member of the Nekrosi Royal Family, whom the Federation needs to help with the War effort. And as a gesture of amity, it has been agreed that he be allowed to visit the Surefoot for a few hours and see the Klingons we'll be meeting."

Zir tensed, but otherwise controlled her reactions, better than Kami had hoped in fact, allowing the Counselor to continue. "Captain Hrelle wanted you to be given a task to keep you away from possibly running into Prince Charmless while he's onboard, and not tell you that he was here. I agreed about the first part... but not the second. I want you to know beforehand... and I want you to also know that you're not being punished for being a victim. But it is going to be tense enough already; Captain Hrelle doesn't want the Prince here either, but duty does not always coincide with desire."

Zir considered the words, before finally nodding. "I understand, Counselor." She paused, and then noted, "Captain Hrelle was really angry with the Prince. He, uh, said something to him. I couldn't hear it, but-"

"It's probably for the best that you couldn't." Kami smiled. "Suffice it to say that he's very devoted to protecting those under his command... a feeling I suspect you two have in common. Now, the senior officers will be kissing some Nekrosi tail and dealing with the Klingons for the next couple of hours, so I need someone to keep an eye on a certain energetic little cub who is determined that he will not have a little sister..."

*

Hrelle forced his arms to stay at his sides and not tug at his dress uniform: a long, wraparound tunic that emphasised his belly and made him look as pregnant as his wife, who currently stood beside him. In comparison, Commander T'Varik and the rest of his senior and junior officers present in Transporter Room One all looked handsome in their formal gear. Bastards. "Energise."

"You'll be fine," Kami whispered to him reassuringly, as the whine of the transporter filled the room.

A sound from the transporter console made him look at Chief Grev, operating the controls. "Something wrong, Chief? Are you accidentally sending them into another universe?"

The Tellarite chuckled. "Nothing so fortunate, Captain. I'm just detecting neutrino-based energy weapons on their persons. Transporter Safety Protocols are depowering them now, while also disregarding the antigravity weave generators in their clothing."

Twin columns of energy coalesced before them: the two Nekrosi, still looking resplendent in flowing black with elaborate silver patterns, their smooth purple skin reflecting the overhead light.

Hrelle stepped forward; time to get it over with... He bowed slightly. "Your Highnesses, Prince Isole, Princess Odede, welcome onboard the United Star Ship Surefoot. It is an honour to have you here." He turned to Isole. "Your Highness, in the presence of my officers, I wish to offer my apologies for my reaction to the incident which occurred on the planet at our last meeting. I was merely driven by my concern for-"

But Isole stepped down from the Transporter pad, strode up to him and struck him across the snout with the back of his long, slender hand.

Hrelle stepped back, hearing rather than seeing the reaction from Kami and his fellow officers. The blow itself was... pitiful; he had felt stronger punches from Gorn fresh from the egg. But still he gave the reaction expected. "Well, Your Highness, that certainly... taught me something."

Now Kami drew up to Hrelle, snaking an arm around his. "And so it should, Husband of Mine. It is fortunate that the Prince has clearly chosen not to express his displeasure any further." She looked to Isole and bowed her head. "I am Kami Hrelle, the Captain's wife and Counselor. Thank you for your mercy towards my husband, Your Highness. It is the sign of a truly wise and strong leader."

The young Nekrosi rubbed the hand that had struck Hrelle, regarded her... and nodded graciously. "You are welcome, Counselor." He stepped aside. "My consort-sister, Princess Odede."

She stepped forward, her sneer matching Isole's. "It is pleasing to see you've learned your place, Captain. Had you put your hands on my brother within the boundaries of the Commonwealth, your hide would by now be a rug on the floor of one of our summer palaces. Now, where are the Klingons we were promised?"

"We are on our way to meet them now, Your Highness; our ETA with them is one hour, in an area of open space currently identified as No Man's Land, claimed by both the Federation and the Klingon Empire. I should also point out however that this is not an official, sanctioned visit, and that you will be there as observers only. There are 47 wounded members of Starfleet we are collecting-"

Isole waved off his continued explanation. "We are not interested in the fate of insignificants."

Hrelle nodded after a moment. "Then perhaps we could amuse you with a tour? Our Chief of Security Lt Shall has arranged for a demonstration of her team's abilities in armed and unarmed combat, as well as our hand weapons. We would love to hear how they compare with Nekrosi military technology and training-"

"There will be no comparison, Captain, I can assure you. The Nekrosi Commonwealth has no equal."

"Of course. Allow me to introduce you to my senior officers-"

Odede frowned. "We are not interested in the names of your minions. Take us to your weapons."

Hrelle blinked, before indicating Commander T'Varik. "My First Officer and Lt Shall here will escort you to Security, and the Counselor and I will follow. The rest of you: Dismissed."

The junior officers and Chief Grev departed, and T'Varik and C'Rash guided the Nekrosi out. Hrelle watched the doors shut before saying anything. "Just think, someday those shitbiscuits will have absolute power over billions of innocent people." He looked to Kami. "I mean the Prince and Princess, not our people."

"No kidding. My psych assessment based on the Starfleet Intelligence reports on them didn't do justice to their level of arrogance and privilege. Are they really as advanced as they claim?"

"No, they're just another set of barely-warp-capable thugs in their own patch of space who think they can piss with the big boys; their value lies in their being the only real power in their sector, and in our needing them. Unfortunately there'll be plenty of other pricks like them whose tails we'll need to kiss to get through the War..."

He started as her hand rested on his shoulder. "Just a couple more hours, we meet Julkrehl, collect our wounded, and be rid of those two pests forever." She smiled. "And come home to what I hope will be an exhausted cub. One more amenable to a little sister, as well, if he pays attention to the program I had customised for him and Alpha Squad."

He eyed her. "Will he be alright with them?"

Kami smiled. "Of course. They'll keep him out of trouble."

*

Cadet Stalac spun in place, faster and faster, the young Caitian cub on top of him holding on, squealing with delight, until Misha finally let go, tumbling into the collection of pillows and cushions in a corner of the room-

Just as the door to his quarters slid open, and Zir entered with the rest of Alpha Squad, the Squad Leader demanding, "What did I tell you about doing that?"

The Horta rotated until he faced Zir, the voder unit in the combadge bolted to the side of his rocky hide translating his vibrational frequencies as a deep, booming male voice. "Doing what? He was taking a nap over there waiting for you to return. Honestly."

Misha jumped up from the pillows and cushions, bouncing up and down, his tail swishing about excitedly. "Again! Spin again!"

Zir rested her hands on her hips. "We have to have a discussion about your definition of the word 'honestly'."

Peter Boone smiled as he strode up, catching Misha when the cub started swaying dizzily. "Little 'Uns can never keep a secret, Stal."

"Or stand up straight, it seems. Thankfully my people have no problem with that, or we'd never manage to tunnel anywhere."

Astrid Michel smiled mischievously. "That looked like fun. Are you up for giving me a ride now, Stalac?"

Beside her, Tori Emoto crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. "I'd say you'd go for anything in pants, but Stal isn't even wearing any."

"There's no need to be envious, dear, I've offered to share your bed on more than one occasion for a Muff Snuffle-"

"Hi!" Zir said loudly and deliberately to them, indicating the Caitian cub. "Have you two met Misha here? The Captain and Counselor's cub, who's too young to hear such talk?"

Misha stopped swaying enough to see the new arrivals, and beam broadly. "Hungry Hungry Hippo!" Then he raced across, bypassing the girls for the huge grey-hided Hroch Security cadet Urad Kaldron, leaping up and climbing up the hugely-muscular pachydermoid, using his claws without Urad even feeling them, until he was straddling his shoulders. "Made it!"

Urad looked up at the new arrival, chuckling. "Indeed, Little Comrade; well climbed, there! And as I have had my second dinner, I am ready for..." He glanced at Zir. "Whatever is scheduled for us, Comrade Squad Leader."

"What is scheduled for us, Zir?" Peter asked.

Zir breathed in, grinning at Misha as the cub played the top of Urad's broad head like it was a bongo drum. "Well, I've been told that Captain Misha here has been a very good cub, and has earned himself an evening on the Holodeck. And that he'll need us to help him on his adventure."

The use of the word make Misha sit up, eyes widening. "Venture?"

Astrid yawned. "Can we assume that, as a minor is involved, it will not be a tour of the finest nightclubs and fashion boutiques in Argelius and Casperia Prime?"

Tori snickered. "Believe it or not, the Universe does not revolve around what you want, Flygirl."

The other girl smiled. "I've yet to see any contradictory proof to that, sweetie."

"Come on," Zir prompted. As she watched Stalac slither towards the door, she pointed to where he had been, where now smoke rose from burnt fibres. "Stal, you've squirted acid!"

"Uh oh," Misha breathed. "Trouble Time!"

The Horta spun around. "Oh! Sorry, Zir. That doesn't usually happen."

Astrid smirked, winking. "Don't berate him too much, darling, it happens to most boys around me."

"Ugh, I threw up in my mouth a little," Tori muttered.

Minutes later, they were outside the doors to Holodeck One, Zir ordering the computer, "Load Program Crooked Tailed Cub One."

Still riding on top of Urad, Misha squealed. "Yay! Mama got it!" Then he leapt off of the Hroch, landing easily onto the floor.

"Crooked Tailed Cub?" Peter asked, bemused.

"The Crooked Tailed Cub is a hero in a set of classic Caitian children's adventure stories," Zir explained. "Misha told me he has all the books in paper form and his parents read them to him. The Cub lives alone in the jungle, but gets into all kinds of mischief, fights pirates, smugglers, monsters-"

"Yeah!" Misha agreed, bouncing up and down. "Go! Go!"

As if responding to the cub's impatience, the computer announced, "Program installation complete. You may enter when ready."

Misha almost ran into the doors before they fully slid apart; a hot, moist wall of air hit them, as did a burst of light from a lush, verdant tropical environment. Zir held out a hand. "Misha! Wait for us!"

Astrid grunted. "Quick, shut the doors on the little ankle biter and let him have fun, and we can pop into the Rec Lounge for a few rounds-"

"The Crooked Tailed Cub has a group of fantastic creatures to help him," Zir informed her, smiling from a feeling of anticipation as much from being able to disappoint the human woman. "I think we qualify in that department. Even the daughter of a trillionaire industrialist."

Astrid's face darkened, but said nothing further.

As they entered, to an environment of lush trees and rocks, the scent of blossoms and the sound of birds thick in the warm air, Zir found to her amazement that the program was adjusting how their off-duty clothes appeared on them: now they seemed to be clad in loose-fitting but rugged shorts and vests of various designs, with colourful headbands and baldrics, and boots and gloves and belts, very much like what Misha was wearing already; only Stalac remained unclothed, of course, though his Starfleet combadge now appeared to be an elaborate round sigil with a feline logo in the centre, which Zir recognised from some of the covers of Misha's books on his favourite character.

"Well," Astrid concluded, looking at herself and smiling. "It is true: I can make anything look good. I must confess I only partly believed what everyone has told me over the years." Her smile became a grin as she winked at Tori. "That's not true, I totally believed them."

"So, in the height of climax," Tori quipped. "Do you call out your own name?"

"What did I say before about that talk?" Zir scolded, before being distracted by the sight of Peter. Oh my... she wasn't certain if the Holodeck computer was accentuating his broad shoulders and muscular arms, that cornfield blonde hair and smile... oh my-

"Mmm," Stalac noted, passing over a small rock that he dissolved and digested with his acids. "Basic, but not without some flavour. I was told one could not eat Holodeck food, but that appears to apply only to you Carbs."

That brought her back to the here and now. "Be careful, we don't want you eating your way through the deck and disrupting the Holodeck mechanisms!"

The Horta drew back. "Not to worry, Fearless Leader, I can detect what's replicated rock and what's bulkhead and circuitry."

"You also peed acid on our carpet," she reminded him, before turning around and looking out into the undergrowth, scanning it for- "Misha? Where are you?" Her heart raced a little. Where was he? "MISHA!" Oh no... he was in their care! If he goes missing, was hurt in here-

A warm, reassuring hand rested on her arm: Peter's. "You're not worried about him, are you, Zir? He's only really..." He pointed to the greenery, chuckling. "About four metres away, behind all the holodeck twisting light and sound and perspective. And I reckon this children's program has more safeties than we can count."

Zir felt herself flush with how foolish she reacted just now... and with his touch.

Suddenly, all around them, a soft woman's voice -- which sounded remarkably to Zir like the Counselor's -- filled the air. "On the great island of Rtarra, at the edge of the Eastern Horizon, a cub lived alone in the jungle, apart from everyone else, but always in their service against those who would threaten their peace and happiness. No one knew his name, and had barely even seen him, only his crooked tail as he leapt back into the trees. And that is why they called him... the Crooked Tailed Cub."

Astrid yawned. "Well, there's a surprise..."

Then a large bird covered in bright blue feathers fluttered its way from the foliage, quickly pursued by Misha, his face delighted as he pointed to the bird. "Nini! Nini!"

Urad watched the bird circle lazily just circle over them. "Do you require me to kill it?"

As if in response, the Narrator's voice returned. "The Crooked Tailed Cub was friends with most of the animals on the island, including Nini the Sunbird, who often warned him of dangers."

Then the bird landed on a rock, crying, "Pirates! Pirates in the Northern Cove! They have taken her! Go! Go!"

"We go! We go!" Misha beckoned to Alpha Squad. "Come! Come!" Then he raced along a narrow, winding path that had suddenly appeared in the foliage.

Zir grinned, looking to the others. "Well? You heard the Crooked Tailed Cub! He wants all of us to come!" Then she pointed a finger at a smirking Astrid. "Don't say a word..."

*

The Security Suite sported its own Holosuite for target shooting and tactical practice. It was currently active, offering a generic urban setting, complete with buildings, booths, light fixtures and parked land vehicles, along with various humanoid figures, some armed, some unarmed.

But all now burning beneath the sustained, indiscriminate phaser beams in the fervent hands of Isole and Odede, cackling with delight at the destruction they inflicted, competing with each other to see who could blow away the most heads. More holograms took their place, and they too, fell.

Hrelle stood at the rear with his shocked crew, tense, as if the Nekrosi might turn on them once they ran out of holographic targets, though the safeties here would of course prevent accidents like that. Then his combadge chirped, as Lt Neheru announced, "Sir, the IKS Augr has arrived, and requests permission to beam their party onboard."

Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers