Surefoot 59: The Burning World

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She grunted, glad to have something to do to take her mind off of... "Sensor fins, larger versions of what we've seen on their battleships. Extended away from the nacelle couplings to avoid sensor interference."

"Which would suggest this vessel is not combat-oriented, but one with a function similar to our own planetary surveyors."

"Not combat-oriented? Are you fricking crazy, look at those torpedo tubes!"

She glanced over her shoulder when she heard the reaction from the Bolian security officer Neraxis Ostrow... and past her, Zir, glaring with obvious disapproval at her words.

But the object of her vitriol did not appear offended, indicating the surrounding sections of the tubes. "I don't think these are torpedo tubes, given their cluster and proximity to the impulse engines; they could only be safely employed when the vessel was stationary, and I doubt if the Jem'Hadar would want to stop in the middle of a battle to fire-"

"Fine, whatever!" She shut her eyes. Tori, you stupid little cow, get a hold of your fricking self! Softer now, she whispered, "Sorry, Sir. Don't mean to be rude."

"Bet you do."

She looked at him accusingly, but not seeing any real indignation in his expression, just... understanding.

Tori looked away again, grinding her teeth. You're gonna get yourself kicked out of Starfleet. Do you really want that? Well?

She knew the answer already, having been confronted with it more than once by Counselor Hrelle. Her response, as always, had been infuriatingly measured and precise: "Anger is a completely reasonable response to what you underwent. You saw Chief Grev and Ensign Yeager killed before you, you were dragged off by the Cardassian soldiers determined to rape and humiliate you, you had lost complete control over yourself, more than you ever had been.

But it's important to distinguish between the feeling of anger, and the expression of it. You have no control over how you feel, but you have total control over what you do with it... including accepting responsibility when that control fails. And it will be the employment of that control which will help build up the confidence that had been eroded by the trauma you experienced."

She glanced over her shoulder once more in Zir's direction, before turning back to Jonas, whispering in an over-emphasised deferential tone, "May I please speak with you privately, Sir?"

He nodded and rose, indicating the aft compartments... and waving off his wife's attempts to rise and follow them. When they were away from the others, he prompted, "Yes, Ensign?"

Tori felt her skin burn, but she forced herself to breathe in and announce, "Lieutenant, I want to apologise for my behaviour to you."

He shook his head. "You don't have to do that, Ensign-"

"I must disagree, Sir. I'm... angry. I'm just so angry, all the time, over what happened to me. You have repeatedly tried to help me, and I have refused to even accept that I had a problem needing help. And repair, whether it's a machine or a person, starts with seeing that something needs repairing."

Despite himself, Jonas smirked. "Quoting the Counselor?"

She looked up. "You know it?"

He nodded. "I've needed a lot of help in the past."

Tori paled. "Not like I do."

"Well, maybe not quite like you do," he admitted soberly. "But something similar. I was the victim of a different type of assault."

She started. "You?"

Jonas nodded again. "A rogue telepath entered my mind, altered my memories and perceptions, and... made me feel so... unloved, unworthy, the most wretched, worthless creature in the Universe. I ended up trying to commit suicide."

The admission made Tori feel like she'd been stunned by a phaser. The older officer seemed so... solid, so dependable and self-confident! Now her own traumas seemed so petty in comparison. "I'm- I'm sorry, Sir."

He shrugged. "I'm better, far better now than I was before. But I still remember the... the pure rage I felt, at someone doing that to me. And rage at myself, for letting it happen, even though there was nothing I could have done to stop it. And rage at my friends, not just for pestering me into getting help, but for knowing in the first place."

He leaned back until he rested against a wall. "In those weeks and months after, I was afraid, about it happening again, And afraid that from then on, everyone I knew would treat me differently, would only see me as the Guy Who Tried To Kill Himself."

He caught her eye before continuing. "No one did. Because my friends are the best. Like your friends are for you, I'm sure. They won't judge you, or see you like you fear they might."

Tori breathed in, feeling her emotions threaten to burst out.

But before either of them could go further, Kit's voice called out from the rear of the ship. "Respected Colleagues, please attend!"

The two Engineers looked to each other, as Sasha, Zir and several others joined them in the midsection, and all moved to the aft, where Kit and Stalac awaited them, both of them next to more holodisplays of Gault, more detailed now with various overlapping swirls and patterns. "Respected Colleagues, we have been studying the details of the conflagration on Gault, and have noted certain factors not immediately identified at first. Ensign, if you would?"

At Kit's feet, Stalac accessed the holodisplays. "The Dominion have launched a series of devices into Gault's atmosphere to initiate the chemical combustion we have seen envelop over half the planet. But this is not a stand-alone process. The chemicals employed are inherently unstable, and without being fed and manipulated at precise times and amounts, they would soon burn themselves out."

Sasha took it in, nodding. "We could go in, shoot down the devices, disrupt the process-"

"We do not believe that is a viable option, Respected Lieutenant," Kit informed her. "We could not destroy enough to make an appreciable change, before the Dominion ship was alerted."

"And then the Jem'Hadar would be sent in," Neraxis concluded. "And I've checked the Tailless' weaponry; you've got some nice surprises onboard, but not enough to stand up to a squadron of those bastards."

"No," Sasha agreed. "What about the main vessel? What have you learned about it?"

"We've extrapolated," the Bolian replied. "Based on what little intelligence is known about Dominion ship design and technology, and shared the data with the others at Engineering and Sciences."

"Pooling our combined talents," Stalac added, replacing the images of Gault with breakdowns of the Dominion vessel. "We've built up a general picture of the interior of the vessel... and where we might need to go to disrupt the Combustion devices."

Sasha stared hard at the images. "Mr Boone, you mentioned something earlier about tracking your daughter. What did you mean?"

Peter looked around him. "Residents on Gault have subcutaneous transponders with ID tags; it's a big planet with so few people on it, and it was considered a precautionary safety measure in case of accidents. I know Abby's ID tag number."

"So you can track her location even with everyone on the planet making their way to temporary safety?"

"Yes, the weather satellites also have tracking sensors for that very purpose."

Sasha went silent for a moment, before finally concluding, "We're splitting into three teams: Zir, you, Mr Boone and Ms Emoto will beam down to Gault when we reach orbit, make contact with his daughter and the leader of the local government, ensure they get to those transport ships on the West Coast; even if they can't launch, they should offer protection from the fire, and Ms Emoto can offer supervision in securing their integrity-"

Urad raised his head. "I wish to accompany the team to the surface."

Sasha looked to him. "You're not needed on the surface, Mr Kaldron."

"But Comrade Lieutenant-"

"Urad," Tori suddenly interrupted, looking embarrassed but keeping her temper. "Thanks for worrying about me, but I don't need you to watch me all the time. I'll be fine, and we have a job to do." She looked to Sasha. "Sorry for butting in, Lieutenant."

Sasha nodded back. "I'll lead the second team onto the Dominion ship, along with Neraxis, Eydiir, Mr Kaldron, Mr Stalac and Mr Ostrow, with half of us offering a distraction while Stalac and Jonas access their systems and shut down-"

"Excuse me, Sash," Jonas cut in now. "But I think Ms Emoto and I should switch roles."

"Oh? Any particular reason?"

"Ms Emoto has a proven aptitude for on-the-spot analysis of alien systems, whereas I know those transport ships and support systems on Gault better, and can turn them into impromptu shelters in no time."

Sasha nodded at that, looking to Tori. "How about it, Ensign? Can you keep it together over there?"

The younger woman almost looked ready to give in to indignation over the question. But then she responded with a more controlled, "Yes, Ma'am. I can do my job."

"Okay, then. Giles, you remain in command onboard the Tailless with Ms Michel and Kit, beaming each team to their respective locations, and staying cloaked and out of trouble as much as possible while you monitor our communications. Kit, you'll keep an eye on the results on Gault, on the Jem'Hadar and our own systems, and advise accordingly. Ensign Dassene, your priority is to get the survivors to safety in case we fail up here."

The Orion nodded. "Yes, Ma'am."

"We'll do everything we can to stop the weapon on the Dominion ship from destroying any more of Gault. If we can't... we'll try and blow them up. And if we can't do that... Giles, you'll send a final signal back to my Dad... and then crash head-on into the Dominion ship. Are we clear on that?"

A heavy silence hung over them, as Giles nodded sombrely.

Kit glanced at the PADD in his hand. "Respected Lieutenant, the combustion has reached the East Coast of the main continent, and-" He glanced up, round eyes widening. "It is accelerating! The fire will consume the rest of the planet in under four hours!"

Sasha looked to Giles. "Get us into orbit over the main continent, now!" As he returned to the cockpit, she continued. "Zir, you, Jonas and Peter pinpoint his daughter's transponder and be ready to beam down!" They left, and Sasha turned to her friend. "Neraxis, get to my weapons locker, get what you can for us! Mr Kaldron, sorry, but I doubt if there'll be anything designed for your hands."

The Hroch raised a head-sized hand as if in illustration, tightening the thick fingers into a fist. "Thank you, Comrade Leader, but I will not need weapons."

Standing beside him, Neraxis thumped him playfully in the chest. "So long as you remember you're not indestructible, Man Mountain."

Urad grunted. "I will, Comrade Lieutenant... and I swear I will control myself."

Sasha turned to Tori and Stalac. "Your mission over there will be to identify the control sections for the Fire devices, take them over and disable or destroy them. You'll be armed, Ms Emoto, but Eydiir will provide personal security. Neraxis, Mr Kaldron and myself will provide a distraction elsewhere.

As we've just heard, time is of the essence. I suggest taking a trip to the hygiene chamber so the shit doesn't hit the fan."

*

Admiral Tattok looked like if he could climb through the viewscreen and get into Hrelle's face more directly, he would. "You went off deliberately without speaking to me first, Captain!"

Hrelle affected a look of concerned innocence. "Sir, I'm frankly shocked that you would think that! Starfleet General Order 10-"

"Are you seriously going to hide behind Regulations, Hrelle?"

The Caitian paused, before continuing. "My... apologies, Sir. This is my daughter we're talking about. She went to Gault because one of my crew, a former cadet, has a daughter there. And she's sent us a warning about the potential destruction of an entire world, with tens of thousands of people there-"

"You don't have to explain yourself any further, Captain. Based on the data Lt Hrelle sent us about the forces there, I'm sending the Thunderbolt, the Wasp and the Minotaur to catch up with you and my hothead of a son -- and speaking of which, you can tell him he can stop pretending to have communications problems on the Ajax."

Kami entered Hrelle's Ready Room, as he nodded at the screen. "I will do, Sir. And I thank you."

"There's nothing to thank me for; as far as the official records are concerned, I sent you and Weynik ahead while I decided on your back-up."

Hrelle nodded sagely, as Kami came round and leaned against his desk, her tail brushing along the surface. "I'm glad we have such decisive leadership at the proverbial helm, Sir. You're a credit to the Admiralty."

Unaware of Kami's presence in the room with Hrelle, Tattok cursed and ended the transmission.

Kami crossed her arms and smirked. "How salty. What can I do for you?"

"Me? Nothing."

"Oh come on, there must be something."

He leaned back in his chair and looked up at her. "The newest members of our crew; how do you think they'll handle themselves if we go into battle?"

She stared at her husband in thought, before shaking her head. "No."

"'No'? What do you mean, 'No'?"

"I mean that doesn't interest me, and anyway you're not really bothered by them. I want to know what's going on in your head about Sasha."

"Sasha?"

"Yes. You know, Sasha? Strawberry blonde hair, smart mouth, you'd take on the Universe to protect her-"

"Yes, I know my own daughter! Why are you asking about her now?"

"Because your scent is so thick with worry for her I could swipe the air between us with my claws and rake it."

He stood up to face her, his tail smacking the side of his chair. "And do you blame me? They've gone off into enemy territory in a tiny little Caitian flyer, outnumbered, outgunned, on some damn foolish rescue mission! What possessed her to do something so insane?"

She shrugged. "Almost an entire lifetime of seeing her father do the exact same insane things? Especially when cubs were involved?"

"Oh, so you're blaming me for her behaviour?"

She shook her head. "I'm not here to cast blame on you, but praise: praise for the skills you've taught her, for the example you've set. She'll survive, and get her crew back intact, and probably save a planet or two along the way."

Hrelle stared at her. Then he pointed at her. "That's not gonna save her. I'm going to kick her ass when I see her."

"Of course you are."

"I mean it! I'm going to kick her ass around the entire length of this ship, from stem to stern! There will not be a room onboard where she will not get her ass kicked!"

"Absolutely."

"I'm being serious, Kam!"

She nodded. "I know." She straightened up and moved to the door.

He glared at her swishing tail. "I hope you weren't too attached to her ass, because when I'm through with her she certainly won't be!"

She waved in his direction without looking back at him as she departed.

He grunted to himself. All the damn females in his life where such utter ball aches... except for Sreen, he amended with a smile. She'll never give him worry...

*

"We've identified Abby Boone's transponder!" Zir declared from her station in the cockpit, clutching Peter's forearm. "She's alive... but on the move, towards a large facility near the West Coast!"

"The Central Spaceport," Peter identified, eyes bright with hope. "Where the freighters or their storage modules land to collect the grain." He looked to Sasha. "Can we beam her onboard?"

Sasha glanced out the cockpit windows, looking at the edges of Gault, all black and red from the all-consuming fires below. "No."

"No? But-"

"The moment we decloak to use the transporter, we'll be in danger of being detected. Better to beam you, Ms Dassene and Mr Ostrow down to the Spaceport to meet with the local authorities, and where you can meet her in person, safely, and without spiriting her away without warning the people around her.

Jonas, Zir: tell the authorities there's a Starfleet force in orbit doing everything they can to stop the enemy... but maybe not tell them it's just a pack of putzes in one tiny ship. Remember: we're still Starfleet, we're taking over authority, regardless of whatever petty little bureaucrat you might meet. Understood?"

As if in illustration, Zir, Peter and Jonas accepted hand phasers from Neraxis, holstering them at their sides as they nodded.

"We're in transporter range," Giles announced, "I've identified the Central Command Centre in the Spaceport."

"Astrid, be ready to switch the Prowl unit back on immediately after transport, then take evasive manoeuvres in case we're detected." Sasha motioned the three officers to the transporter unit, currently operated by Kit. "Good luck."

Jonas nodded again. "You too." He reached out and clasped his wife, before drawing back, as transporter columns enveloped him, along with Peter and Zir.

The Tailless banked sharply to port, Sasha grabbing hold of Neraxis to steady them both. "Sorry."

The Bolian grunted. "Typical: my husband's not gone a minute, and you're fondling me." She handed the human a Caitian plasma pistol. "I saved the special goods from your Grandma's larder for us."

"Good. Now this next part's gonna be trickier, because there's no way we can get close enough to the Dominion ship to beam over all of us without being detected. They'll call in the Scarabs to track you down, Giles. Avoid a fight, and if we don't report back in thirty minutes-"

"I understand, Sash. If you can, though, try not to leave me making that decision."

"I'll do my best." Sasha reached for her Kaetini sword, strapping it at the back of her waist, as Eydiir, Urad, Tori and Stalac joined them. "Kit, have you identified the optimum locations to beam us?"

"Yes, Respected Lieutenant: there appears to be a sparsely occupied area in the mid-aft section of the ship, with numerous control stations for Best Friend Eydiir's team, and one more central for your own destination. I have detected approximately fifty Jem'Hadar there, and one Vorta."

Urad slammed his fist into his open palm. "Good. Many scoundrels to pummel."

"Only when you're ordered, Mr Kaldron," Sasha clarified. "Is that clear?"

The behemoth straightened up. "Of course, Comrade Lieutenant."

Sasha turned to glance at the huge arrowhead-shaped vessel dead ahead, looking menacing and invulnerable compared to her own. An elephant menaced by a mosquito.

A mosquito can still deliver a lethal disease to the largest of animals, she reminded herself. "Eydiir, you, Mr Stalac and Ms Emoto beam over first. Good luck."

As Kit sent their three friends over, inside of Sasha, a voice urged: stop this. Call them back, collect the others on Gault and flee. They can't be expected to take on an entire Dominion ship alone.

Except... she knew they could be expected. They could be expected to fight, and if necessary, die, in the service of the Federation and its peoples. It came with the uniform.

He stepped forward. "Let's go."

*

Zir straightened up as she felt herself reform in a new location, with a slightly different gravity and atmosphere than on the Tailless: a large area surrounded by windows, which overlooked a huge flat paved plain filled with large rectangular modular vessels, and many smaller ones that were lit up as they descended to join their gigantic brethren.

Closer at hand, Chaos Reigned, as workers at stations frantically guided the outside vessels into descent patterns, or shouted at each other for updates and clear channels, while others stood by, looking lost.

1...456789