Surefoot 76: Under New Management

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, but definitely not for the same things."

Now she smiled. "I'll go, but just long enough to give the old place the once-over, like you said."

He smiled back. "Thanks. What's it gonna cost me?"

She finished her drink. "I'll let you know when I've figured it out myself."

*

"Comrade Lieutenant?"

Zir Dassene still smiled when she heard her new rank, despite having been promoted to it and her new role as Commodore Hrelle's Adjutant almost a week ago. And despite her initial nerves at the increased responsibilities, she never let any of it show as she strode up to her friend and former Alpha Squad member, the hulking pachydermoid Security Officer Urad Kaldron, on the landing field shifting some of the confiscated Marauder equipment.

Her grin remained as she drew up and patted his massive grey arm. "Hey, Tiny, I hope you're not overtaxing yourself to impress everyone?"

He adjusted the huge duranium bar, easily four hundred kilos, over his other shoulder... and made sounds with the effort to keep it aloft, and not accidentally strike any of the surrounding shuttles. "Overtax? (Huff) Me, Comrade (Huff) Lieutenant?"

"Yes, you, Man Mountain; I don't want to subject our medical staff to having to try and treat you for the type of backache or hernia you might develop." She glanced around at some of the other Security staff from the Surefoot, following up on the recent arrest of the Marauders who had terrorised the colonists on Scesity. "I was actually looking for Lt Cmdr Salvo; I can't find her via her combadge."

Kaldron harrumphed, though it sounded like it came from something other than exertion. "She is in the main Marauder shuttle, attempting to gain intelligence on the Orion slavers working in the sector." Then he started. "No offence meant, Comrade Friend-"

Zir felt herself flush, but forced down her chagrin to respond with, "None taken, Urad. And again, stop taking so much upon yourself, let others help."

"Good advice for everyone, Little Comrade," he responded in conclusion, walking away as she strode towards the largest shuttle, its gull-wing door raised open, steeling herself for her next encounter with Salem One's new Security Chief. As part of her new role, Zir had read up all she could on Lieutenant Commander Arcanis Prima Salvo, a native of the Nova Roman colony like the Surefoot's new XO, Bellator, and had as many commendations as she had reprimands.

Salvo was a Warrior With Attitude, and while Zir could understand Commodore Hrelle's reasons for recruiting her, the young Orion woman still wondered if Salvo might be worth the effort, what with the difficulties they would already face, retaking territory with limited resources-

She tensed as she heard the swearing from within, but continued. The interior was a cluttered collection of stolen goods, and stank of body odour even with the door open letting fresh air circulate. At the front of the shuttle, the huge, coffee-skinned Salvo was leaning over the pilot's seat, where the Surefoot's Assistant Security Chief, the Andorian female Ensign Atiaro Thykrill, was seated, staring ahead while Salvo snarled, "Are you an idiot? Is that what it is? Do I need to bring in someone with more brains to do this, like Hrelle's crippled little brat?"

"Excuse me," Zir prompted, instinctively protective of any negative mention of either of the Hrelle cubs.

The other women turned to face the new arrival, Salvo waved dismissively at her. "Get out, Orion, we're busy."

Zir swallowed... but steeled herself and drew a step closer. "Lieutenant Commander, Commodore Hrelle is expecting a report from you about the Marauders' contacts in this sector."

The Nova Roman made a sound, as she glared back at Thykrill. "Well, you can tell the Commodore that I would love to provide him with intelligence about those contacts, but I am hampered by having been assigned a blue-skinned imbecile to try and access the Marauders' computers."

Thykrill bolted to her feet, her antennae dipping down low, her entire body as taut as her voice but keeping from fully unleashing her anger, as she glowered back at Salvo while still speaking to Zir. "Lieutenant, you can also tell Commodore Hrelle that the encryption on the computers is beyond our current capacity to unlock. I had suggested that Lt Cmdr Bellator assist, given their expertise with cryptography, but Lt Cmdr Salvo here dismissed that idea."

"I won't work with traitorous cowards," Salvo hissed through clenched teeth, leaning in a little closer to add, "Or plebeian morons."

Zir watched Thykrill tense further, and Zir decided to take action to defuse the situation. "Thank you, Ensign. Return to the rest of the Surefoot's Security Team. I'll take it from here."

Salvo looked to Zir again contemptuously. "You forget who's the senior ranking officer here. Being Hrelle's little Orion whore doesn't give you authority over me."

Zir bristled, feeling her olive skin darken... but she stood her ground. "You go, Ati; I'll take responsibility here."

Thykrill looked to her, the pair of them having worked frequently on the Surefoot, earning each other's respect in the process, and nodded appreciatively at her, sparing Salvo a final dirty look before stepping around her and Zir and departing the shuttle.

Salvo regarded the remaining officer again, sneering. "So, you have some spine to go with the tits and the ass-"

"That's enough!" Zir snapped angrily. "Regardless of your rank, I will not be treated with disrespect by you! Nor will I allow you to treat your fellow officers, or anyone else, with disrespect. Is that clear?"

Salvo smirked now, drawing closer, accentuating her superior height over Zir. "I have crushed Jem'Hadar, Klingons, Gorn, Nausicaans and Miradorn, all beneath my heels. You think I couldn't deal with a presumptuous little mongrel like you?"

Zir felt the contempt, the venom, from the other woman like it was her hands around Zir's throat, and it was all Zir could do to keep from stepping back instinctively, or calling for help, or letting her pulse quicken until her heart burst from her chest.

Instead she raised her chin and shifted into a more assertive, confident posture. "You're welcome to try, Lieutenant Commander... but I promise you, you'll find me a lot tougher than you think.

And I'll remind you of who I represent, and of his orders to do what you can to gain intelligence on the slavers in this sector. And if doing what you can requires you to put aside your personal feelings and ask Lt Cmdr Bellator to assist, then I suggest you do it, and as soon as possible."

Salvo smiled coldly. "Maybe you should try? They're your people, after all."

Zir felt her jaw tighten; I don't need the likes of you to remind me of the atrocities my people are capable of, bitch. "He ordered you. Now, if you haven't got the courage or strength to do this, you can tell him yourself. Or I will. Make your choice."

The Nova Roman regarded her a moment longer... before stepping back and tapping her combadge. "Lt Cmdr Salvo to Lt Cmdr Bellator: Commodore Hrelle orders you to assist in accessing the Marauders' database. Their encryption is proving formidable."

There was a moment of silence, and then the familiar voice responded, albeit with some small but obvious surprise at receiving the message from out of the proverbial blue. "I will establish a link from the Surefoot and begin studying the encryption in place. Bellator out."

Salvo smiled humourlessly at Zir. "There you go, Lieutenant. Run along now... and in future, best stay out of my way. It'll be safer for one of us."

*

Doctor Masterson emerged from the colony's hospital with the rest of the medical staff, breathing in the crisp air as he clasped his hands together. "Well, I'm glad to see the folk here have been well served by their local sawbones. It'll make our work in the sector a lot easier."

Beside him, the Andorian Dr Shyrik growled, her antenna dipping. "They'll be the exception; I'm sure there are other colonies who have probably been wiped out by some pathogen or parasite."

Masterson chuckled. "That's the spirit, Sora, here's hoping you keep up that positive outlook when you take over from me on the Surefoot."

"I will do my best... after I clear the smell of Cowboy from the CMO's Office."

Behind them, Chief Nurse Eydiir Daughter-of-Kaas, listened -- not to the facile banter between the doctors ahead of her, but the two individuals behind her: the Surefoot's new Counselor, Alexander Auger, and the younger Counselor Peter Boone, a former cadet Eydiir helped grow into his present role.

And though she was normally more respectful of the private conversations of others, she still listened, out of a sense of protectiveness over Peter, under the current authority of the more abrasive Auger. But Auger was proving to be more sympathetic and helpful and less a mountebank than his initial behaviour onboard had displayed.

To which Eydiir was silently grateful. Though she and Peter would be following Masterson to join his medical team on Salem One, she wouldn't have wanted to be leaving the Surefoot with a report on her pummelling Auger. Even the normally-overforgiving Commodore Hrelle might frown on something like that.

*

Misha strode up to his mother, covered in mud and dirt and grinning. "Hi, Mama!"

Kami turned, cradling Sreen and offering her son a stern expression. "Where have you been? And what have you been doing?"

He started as Gyver followed closely behind him, the black-maned equinoid explaining a little sheepishly, "Counselor, I regret to inform you that there was a minor altercation between Master Misha and a couple of local colonist children."

Kami's pulse quickened. "Altercation? You mean a fight?"

"Yep!" Misha responded, still grinning, crossing his arms. "And I beat them!"

Sreen sensed her mother's change of mind and began mewling, but Kami ignored her to glare down at the cub. "Take that smile off your face right this instant, Mister! Do you expect me to be proud that you got into a fight with other cubs?"

Misha's expression of triumph quickly deflated like a balloon, and he lowered his arms as he explained, "B-But- They were making fun of Starfleet! Of me and you and Papa and Godmama and-"

She raised a finger to cut him off. "Number One: you are not in Starfleet! And you never will be, if I have me way! Number Two: those of us who are in Starfleet don't care if other people make fun of us or not, and we don't need you to defend us-" She tensed. "Did you use your teeth or claws? Did you?"

Now the cub appeared afraid, cornered. "No, Mama! I promise!"

Sreen began crying, but Kami drew her closer and purred, even as she struggled to keep herself calm as well. "Mr Gyver, where are these other cubs my son assaulted? We have to find them and apologise to them and their families before we leave." She glared at Misha again. "And Great Mother help you if you're lying and any of them have been seriously hurt!"

*

Hrelle missed his Ready Room.

T'Varik had graciously allowed the family to remain in the quarters they had occupied for so many years until they reached Salem One... but he insisted on employing one of the spare offices set aside for the ship's junior officers for his own work.

But he missed his old chair. And desk. And the view from his window- well, T'Varik's window, now.

On the screen -- a smaller screen than his old one, he reminded himself needlessly -- the ash-haired, bearded Vulcan male in a Starfleet uniform offered a slight frown. "Commodore, is there a problem? You seem to have frozen for a moment."

Hrelle straightened up in his chair. "Sorry, Haluk, must have been a break in transmission. You were telling me about your ETA?"

"The Nash will arrive at Salem One in 4.9 days. I am endeavouring to keep the cadets occupied and out of trouble." He raised an eyebrow. "I have been... mostly successful."

Despite himself, Hrelle smiled. "Don't crack the whip too hard on them, Haluk. It's going to be a monumental task to get the station fully operational, not to mention offering the additional support to the other Sabres when they join the Surefoot at Salem."

The Vulcan nodded in assent. "As the station's new Academy Annex Superintendent, I must maintain standards... but I will restrict my whips for off-duty activities. On our arrival, we will need to transfer cadets, staff and supplies expeditiously."

"Why? What's the hurry?"

"A Dominion Battleship was fought and defeated in orbit over Colony Onniri IV. Unfortunately the debris contaminated the atmosphere with theta and polaron radiation. The Nash has been ordered to join other available transports already on their way to the Onniri system to assist in the evacuation of the colonists."

Hrelle nodded, glancing at Zir, who was sitting quietly opposite him at the table, taking copious notes as she listened to the conversation. He had remained impressed with her ability to manage her duties as Adjutant, with minimal guidance from himself. Today, however, she seemed... distracted.

He looked back to the screen. "We'll be ready. I mean, we'll still probably be modifying the Crews' Quarters on Deck 5, but at least there'll be power and life support, and the protein larders were left full when they closed up shop. I have to check in with my Sabre Captains now, keep me posted if there's any change to your ETA. Hrelle out." As the screen went blank, he looked to Zir. "What is it?"

She was frowning. "'Protein larders', Sir?"

He smiled. "Salem One is one of the older models, equipped with food synthesizers, not replicators."

Then she nodded in comprehension. "Which use base protein stores as their raw material to create foods. Guess I've grown used to replicators since coming to the Federation and Starfleet."

"Personally, I don't think you can tell the difference between synthesized and replicated food... and if anyone's an expert on food, it's me-" Then his smile dropped. "What else is wrong, Zir? You seem different since we left Scesity. Did something happen there?"

He watched her skin flush into a dark olive, and her scent changed slightly, but she shook her head. "Nothing, Sir." She glanced at her PADD. "Captain Weynik on the Katana is waiting, Commodore. And then Captain Neheru on the Tangshan."

He nodded, sensing her attempts to deceive, or at least deflect, the conversation, despite the obvious problem troubling her. So be it, Esek, he told himself. You can't solve everyone's problems. You can't even keep your son from getting into trouble.

*

Misha ignored the knock on his bedroom door, pretending to be asleep, even as a part of him knew that there was no point. It wasn't fair! He should have a lock!

The door slid open, letting light in from the main room and making him pull the covers up over his head and turn to face away, not caring who it was-

"Cousin?"

He turned in surprise. "Cousin C'Rash? What are you doing here?"

The coal-furred Caitian female entered, a silhouette at the doorway, her curvy figure accentuated by wearing slinky off-duty clothes. "Your Papa is still holding long-distance meetings with the people he'll be commanding at the station, and your Mama is helping the new Counselor take over from her on the Surefoot, so she asked me to keep an eye on you and Baby Sreen for a while." She crossed her arms and leaned against the doorway as she regarded him. "I heard about what happened on the planet. Your Mama said she took your uniform and your playPADD from you. You wanna talk about it?"

He turned away. "No!"

"Good. I don't wanna talk about it either. It reminds me too much when I got into trouble for fighting."

Misha turned back. "Mama yell at you too?"

C'Rash laughed and shook her head. "No, this was before I started working on the Surefoot and your Mama was around. Before you were even born." She drew closer, resting on the side of his bed, her voice soft and gentle. "I was just out of the Academy, younger than your sister Sasha, and I was feeling feisty and ready to prove myself. I was stationed at Deep Space Four, near the Klingon border, and Klingons would show up, looking for trouble. And when some of them visited and began making fun of me, of Starfleet and my uniform... I fought them. I even beat a couple them."

The cub grinned. "Yeah!"

She shook her head, her expression and tone sober. "No, Cousin. I was wrong. There are good reasons to fight other people. But one of them isn't because someone called you names, or called other people you know names."

Now he frowned. "They were mean!"

C'Rash reached out and took his paw in hers. "It doesn't matter. Words are just words, even if they are mean and nasty, and you can't react by doing something more mean and nasty... especially if you face human cubs, who won't be as strong or fast as you, or have claws and teeth.

When I was at the Academy training for Security, there was a human woman there working as an Unarmed Combat instructor, a woman as strong and capable as she was beautiful. And Commander Diana Prince always used to say to us, 'Don't kill if you can wound, don't wound if you can subdue, don't subdue if you can pacify, and don't raise your hand at all until you've first extended it.'"

She smiled sympathetically. "That might be confusing to you. All you really need to know is that as much as you want to be a Defender, a Protector of others like your family and friends, that doesn't mean fighting is the first answer. It should always be the last."

*

Kami walked into the office unannounced, nearly bursting out laughing as she saw Zir there, looking up helplessly as she sat there across from Hrelle... who had nodded off, and had begun snoring. She looked to the Orion sympathetically, suggesting, "Next time 'accidentally' drop a PADD on the desktop. Or, maybe just not be afraid to speak up. " Then she smacked her open paws together.

Hrelle bolted upright, snarling and glancing around, before tugging at the sleeves of his jacket. "Yes, well, Lieutenant, where was I with that memo to Admiral Raner?"

"I believe you were at... 'Ssssssnnnooooorrreeee'," Kami offered, crossing her arms. "Go to bed, Lieutenant, you've worked long enough today, and you'll be even busier when we reach Salem One tomorrow."

Zir started to rise, but then looked to Hrelle for permission. He just shrugged and added, "You heard the Boss."

"Yes, Sir. Good night, Sir, Counselor." Her green skin was still darkening as she rose, took her PADD and departed, smiling slightly as she passed Kami.

Hrelle looked to his wife when they were alone. "I'm losing her respect for me, aren't I?"

Kami smirked. "I can't see that happening, ever; she's almost as protective of you as Sasha. But she needs to work past that, and not be afraid of standing up to you when necessary. Just as you shouldn't be afraid to visit your former home when we arrive at Salem One."

"I told you before-"

"Yes, yes, I know. But that's for another day. Now, you're coming to bed with me."

Hrelle smiled and wiggled his eyebrows at her invitation.

"Sure, Stud, like you have the energy to raise anything more than that stupid grin of yours. Let's go, it's an important day tomorrow, and you have to be the Big Commode for everyone."

He started to correct her again, but then gave up and rose. "What about Misha? Did you sort everything out?"

"With the colonists' cubs and their families? Yes; we should be thankful that our son didn't claw or bite any of them. But I've taken his Starfleet uniform off of him and told him he can't wear it again."