Surefoot 77: Nightmare Fuel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic LiteroticaÂź experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But his words didn't seem to be reaching his captive, except to make him chuckle more. "Save the sermon for someone who cares. You won't convince me that this life isn't a crucible that grinds down everyone not strong enough to fight back... and that includes furry little bastards. I should have flushed that mutt into space on the first day... or had him for dinner, and then sent the bones back to my ex-wife." He chuckled again.

Weynik stared hard at him, before saying over his shoulder, "Wait outside, Lieutenant. Let no one in."

"Sir?" Jor-Dakk queried.

"Do it."

Hengist frowned as the Brikari complied, before Weynik moved to the Brig control station and turned off the force field to Hengist's cell, and now the Rigelian asked, glancing around suspiciously, "What are you doing, Captain?"

"You say the Universe is unstoppably harsh and cruel, and there's no option for us but to just go along with the current, and be just as harsh and cruel. I say we can rise above that."

He unholstered his phaser and set it on top of the station. "So let's see who's right. If you're right, then I can use my authority and my power over you and my superior strength as a Heavyworlder and my superior skills as a Starfleet officer and a Roylan Warrior to beat you to death."

Hengist's jaw dropped. "You're not serious."

"But I am." He crackled the knuckles in his hands as he drew closer. "You tortured that poor animal. I can do the same to you, only this time I won't hold back. I can break every bone in your body.

Every single bone.

And then I can still set it up to make it look like I was defending myself."

Hengist backed further into the cell, his face whitening and sweat beading down his brow. "N-No- You can't do that- I have rights-"

"Not in the cruel, unfair Universe you believe in." Weynik stepped into the cell, while Hengist's companions called out in protest from their own cells. Weynik ignored them.

Now Hengist dropped into the corner, curling into a ball. "No! NO! PLEASE! DON'T HURT ME!"

Weynik stopped. "I won't. I never would have, not really. Now, if you had attacked me first, that'd been a different story. But even then, I would have still held back.

The Universe, Life itself, is not fair, or unfair. It's not ordered or chaotic. It's not just or unjust. It exists beyond these concepts. But we can shape our own little corners of it, to make them worse, or better. "

He departed to restore the force field and retrieve his phaser. "I just thought I'd give you something to contemplate to help you pass the next few years on whatever penal colony you end up at."

He emerged into the corridor outside the Brig to find Jor-Dakk standing there passively allowing Weynik's daughter Naida smacking his leg with a Zeroball bat, hitting hard while the girl laughed. "Bloody Hemra, what's going on? Naida, stop that!"

She did, still laughing and panting from exertion. "Poppy! It's okay! He said I could, to show how tough he is!"

Weynik glared at Jor-Dakk, who nodded. "True."

He grunted, looking to his mother, who was standing nearby cradling Jaxan in her arms. "And you encourage this sort of behaviour?"

Tallus shrugged. "I would never discourage my grandchildren in the pursuit of knowledge, so long as they don't really hurt themselves or others. Besides, it does look like fun. I might have a try now."

Weynik reached out and took the bat from Naida. "Another time, perhaps. I assume you are taking my children to the Holodeck to actually put this sporting equipment to the use for which it was naturally intended?"

The family started walking, Naida taking Weynik's free hand as Tallus replied, "Yes, after I try and get you to tell me a little bit more about your encounter with the Melkotian. I'm sorry I slept through the neurogenic field."

"I'm not. I'd hate to think about you and my children having nightmares." He looked down at Naida. "You don't like nightmares, do you, Sweetheart?"

"I do!" she declared happily. "They're fun! My favourite nightmares are ones with the Spider Clowns!"

Spider Clowns? he thought, deciding not to question it further. Kids...

*

"Lieutenant?"

Madison was emerging from a Jefferies Tube near the Aft Torpedo Bay, when he stopped and looked up at the Caitian male. He tensed, for a moment, realising what a vulnerable position he was in just now... but then cast aside such thoughts as he helped himself out of the Tube and stood up, determined to learn from his mistakes and act professionally. "Can I help you, Mr Mori?"

"Yes." Mori glanced around, as if confirming no one else was in the corridor, his tail twitching. "You... You can be gracious enough to accept my apology for how I've been behaving around you. I have not acted in either a mature or a professional manner." His voice dropped. "Caitian males are taught from cubhood to curb any hormone-driven notions that females are possessions to be kept or won.

Nevertheless I am... insecure... about the state of my relationship with Sasha, now that she has been promoted, and been given her increased responsibilities, and all the pressures of her having to deal with her problems and I can't do more than just be there for her. But I had no right to let my insecurities reflect with how I deal with others. Especially you, who have done nothing to warrant it."

Madison regarded him, feeling his own emotions exude. "Well, I wouldn't exactly say I've done 'nothing'. I know in my head that I'm never gonna get back with her again. But at the same time... seeing how far she's come in such a short time, how amazing she is, makes me think about what could still have been between us, in another life."

Mori nodded to that with genuine empathy. "If we had nothing else in common besides being in Starfleet, it'd be her. I'd feel the same way too, Jim. I'd miss everything about her..." He offered a slight smile. "Except maybe the snoring."

Despite himself, Madison chuckled. "Yeah, I remember that, like a targ with its snout in a bowl. She could crack baffle plates with the sound."

"And never admit to it."

Madison nodded back. "And does she still steal the covers? And lie there for like an hour in the morning farting and scratching her pits?"

The Caitian laughed. "Scratching everywhere! I keep checking the bed for fleas!"

"Hey!"

Both males at the sound, followed by the source, as Sasha strode down the corridor towards them, her face scarlet. "I told myself I was being paranoid, having the computer keep track of you two to see if you got together for another dick measuring contest-"

"You've been tracking us?" Mori echoed.

"Dick measuring?" Madison exclaimed mildly. "What do you take us for?"

"Don't get me started on that!" she snapped, still fuming... until she saw the amused expressions they exchanged. "What is going on between you two?"

They looked to each other again, before Mori explained, "Actually, I was telling Jim that in Caitian culture, females can have more than one mate at a time, so rather than the pair of us fight over you, we should just share you."

"Exactly!" Madison agreed, grinning. "Mru will have you Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, I'll have you Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays-"

"And Sundays you'll have to accommodate the both of us," Mori finished.

"Unless of course we're too much for you, and you need a break?" Madison suggested. "Sundays were traditionally meant to be a day of rest for many Terran cultures."

"And you're not as young as you used to be," Mori pointed out helpfully.

Sasha looked between the two of them, her expression deadpan.

Before finally retorting with, "You two dumb kussiks wish you were too much for me! I could take you both on, wring you dry like a pair of facecloths, and still wear out my bedside toys!" She threw her hands up at them, before turning and storming away. "Not that I've got the time these days to take care of even one of you putzes, let alone two!" She stopped and looked back at them, adding, with a hint of barely-concealed amusement. "Well? Get back to work!"

Neither of them moved, except to look at each other, both saying simultaneously, "Hellcat."

*

"Doctor?"

Vestri looked up from her PADD, rising at the sight of Jiyajh standing in her office doorway, a small tray with cups and saucers in her hands. "Doctor?" She smiled. "I'm not one for titles between colleagues. I understand Klingons have a complex naming system, like Denobulans. Well, my private name is Bas."

The Klingon entered, allowing the glass door to slide shut behind her before responding. "Yes, we do. Friends and intimates call me Gisha."

Vestri breathed in, her smile broadening. "A pleasure to meet you, Gisha. What can I do for you?"

Jiyajh looked self-conscious as she glanced down at the contents of the tray, which held two grey ceramic hexagonal cups, and a larger container of an identical shape. "I... wanted to show my gratitude to you, for your assistance before." She raised the tray. "This is part of a Klingon Tea Ceremony."

Vestri drew closer, rolling a metre-high trolley closer to let her set down the tray. "I have read about such ceremonies. The leaves are fairly toxic to Klingons... and definitely lethal to non-Klingons."

"You are correct," Jiyajh admitted, lifting the lid on the container to stir the contents with a thin wooden stick. "I have chosen to use Denobulan Cholik tea leaves."

"Ahh... a little mild for my tastes normally, but it beats ending up on a biobed. Very thoughtful of you." As she watched the Klingon pour the tea, she ventured with, "Family can be formidable."

The other woman looked up at her suspiciously. "Why do you say that?"

Vestri accepted the glare genially. "Because I have three husbands, two wives, six children, nine grandchildren, and many more relations... enough to tell me that the enemy you were facing weren't strangers. Sounds like there's an interesting story behind it all."

"Yes." Jiyajh poured out the tea, offering the Counselor one cup. "There is." Then she lifted up the other cup for herself, saying nothing further.

The Denobulan smiled again.

*

"Enter."

Madison drew in a breath and stepped forward, allowing the door to the Captain's Ready Room to slide to one side as he took in the occupants: Captain Weynik, standing in front of his desk... and on the viewscreen on the wall, a Vulcan woman he recognised as Captain T'Varik of the Surefoot. But he ignored it all to step up to Weynik, straighten up formally and announced, "Sir, Lt Madison reporting as ordered."

The Roylan smiled. "At ease, Lieutenant." As Madison complied, he continued. "Mr Madison, I've called you here to offer you an opportunity. With Chief David Sakai transferring to become Chief Engineer of Station Salem One, the Surefoot is bereft a CEO of their own, and no one on their staff currently has the experience or qualifications to take on that responsibility. Captain T'Varik and I were hoping you might wish to accept it."

Madison glanced from his Captain, to the other on the screen, and then back again. "Permission to speak freely, Sir?"

"Granted."

"Sir, did Sasha put you up to this?"

"Yes... but perhaps not in the way you're implying. As my First Officer, Lt Cmdr Hrelle did her job in making me aware of the organisational structure problems the Engineering crew now face moving from a Defiant-class to a Sabre-class vessel. And of course I was already aware of the personal factors that have arisen between yourselves. The latter has no bearing on this decision."

"Captain Weynik is correct," T'Varik confirmed onscreen. "Given your experience and qualifications, and our working proximity in the Salem Sector, it would be logical to offer you this role, rather than wait further for a replacement to arrive from afar." She raised an eyebrow. "Unless, of course, you wish to accuse a Vulcan, and a superior officer, of making illogical decisions?"

Madison felt himself blush. "I... do not, Ma'am."

"Smart move," Weynik quipped, stepping forward. "The Surefoot have sent over their Engineering roster and recent work logs to help you get acquainted with both, and you'll transfer over immediately upon our arrival at Salem One and assume your new role. But you will be missed here, Mr Madison. Count on it." He held out his hand.

Madison smiled and accepted it. "Thank you, Sir." He turned to the viewscreen. "Captain T'Varik, thank you for this opportunity. I won't let you down."

"One would hope not, Mr Madison, given the number of endorsements I have received about you."

Weynik clapped his hands together now. "In the meantime, Captain T'Varik and I have important business to discuss, and no doubt Lt Cmdr Hrelle is planning a memorable Farewell Party for you." He indicated the door.

Once alone, he moved around behind his desk and sat down. "Thank you for that, T'Varik, you won't be sorry, he's a very gifted Engineer and-"

"Yap! Yap!"

"Excuse me, Captain?" T'Varik asked.

He glanced down at the bundle of fur and flab and slobber at his feet, tail wagging at warp speed while he looked up at him with his huge, adorable eyes.

Weynik leaned back and opened up his arms. "Well? Come on, then."

The bulldog braced himself and leapt up... badly. Still, he persevered, with a determination Weynik could understand, succeeding with a little help from Weynik, before beginning to lick the Roylan's face.

"I was not aware that you had a pet," the Vulcan noted.

Weynik drew back, rubbing behind the dog's ears. "Mmm? No, no. One of our prisoners had this little fella, stole him from his ex-wife. He abused him over the course of the last couple of months. Our doctor examined him, treated a lot of cuts, bruises and breaks that never properly healed."

"That is disturbing to hear," T'Varik commented. "But fortunate that you had rescued him, and can now return him to his rightful owner."

Weynik wiped the slobber from the dog's muzzle. "I contacted the ex-wife back on Rigel IV, informing her of the dog's status and the offer to make arrangements to have him returned to her... but she's not interested now. Apparently in the interim, she'd already moved on and obtained another pet, told me to whatever I wanted with the dog." He adjusted his position to let the dog settle in his lap. "Like he was some lost jacket, instead of a living thing we pledge to nurture and protect."

T'Varik nodded at that. "Then it is providential that he has found someone to do that very thing."

Weynik looked up. "Who?"

The Vulcan said nothing.

"Me? It's a dumb animal, a lifeform from an entirely different planet than me. What would we have in common?"

The dog continued to make himself comfortable, as Weynik absently stroked him.

"If I may venture," T'Varik responded dryly. "You are both survivors of adversity, determined to carry on in control of your own lives and own destinies. And if our mutual Commanding Officer was present, he would no doubt make some puerile comment regarding you finally having found someone smaller than yourself - which of course I would not deign to do."

He stared down at... what's his name?

Ajax, after his previous ship? Yeah, that'll do.

He looked up again. "Okay, Captain, let's get started. I don't know about you, but I have to get busy living..."

THE ADVENTURES OF THE SUREFOOT UNIVERSE WILL CONTINUE...