Surefoot 82: Persona Non Grata

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Beaudine nodded again, following like an automaton.

Salvo turned back to Sasha. "I look forward to that meeting in the Ring, Lieutenant Commander."

"Futue te ipsum," the younger woman replied, punctuating the insult with a raised middle finger and provoking an unexpected raucous laugh from the Nova Roman.

*

Hrelle had been ready to leave his office and meet the Minotaur party at the airlock - until his wife arrived, sniffing and dusting the remains of his croissants from his jacket. "No."

"No, what?"

"No, you're not going down there to face her head on. That's not how it's going to look. These are not dignitaries or VIPs; you get Louvois to meet you here, in your territory, on your terms. I've already sent Zir down to escort her here."

He frowned. "How did you know what-" He shook his head in defeat. "I don't know why I bother, sometimes."

"I don't know why you bother, ever." She took his paw in hers, purring as she added, "I'll visit Bill once he's settled, make sure he's okay. In the meantime, I'll be here with you when Louvois arrives."

He let his tail snake around to stroke hers at the tip. "Oh? Are you worried I'll bite her head off?"

"On the contrary: I think you might overcompensate, and she'll take advantage of it." She turned and faced the office door beside him, her tail smacking sharply against the front of his desk.

An action that, like her change of scent, couldn't be ignored by him, as he remembered Kami's presence during his court martial, following her help in his recovery and preparation for his return to life in Starfleet... and how Louvois dismissed Kami's assessment of him as his Counselor, and in fact questioned Kami's own professional credentials. "Should I be worried that you'll bite her head off?"

She never answered.

Then both of them heard the activity outside, and seconds later the doors parted, as Zir stepped inside. "Commodore, this is-"

Before she could complete the introduction, a tall, gaunt, Terran female in her fifties, with a short burr of chestnut-brown hair strode past her, assuring her, "Don't worry, Lieutenant, I'm sure the Commodore and his Counselor remember me, even after all these years." She smiled affably, standing casually, her hands behind her. "Captain Philippa Louvois, reporting as ordered, Sir."

"Captain," Hrelle responded curtly, looking past her to Zir. "Thank you, Lieutenant. Please ensure Captain Louvois' belongings reach her quarters, and have medical and security briefings scheduled for her and her staff." As the young Orion woman departed and the doors closed, he continued, with a little more growl. "Captain Louvois-"

She smiled, not very ingenuously. "Please, Commodore, call me Philippa. We'll be colleagues now, after all."

"Captain Louvois, this change of orders, bringing you, your staff, and your prisoner here, was unexpected, to say the least."

She nodded. "For us both, Commodore. There I was, getting myself all settled in ready to enjoy what I am told is an excellent Spa at Deep Space Twelve once I dealt with Beaudine, and then-" She made a gesture of something flying away. "I might be overqualified for the work required on this little outpost of yours."

"But it's not all about you, is it, Captain?" Kami observed acidly. "Though it may usually feel that way in your eyes. You're also here because of Ensign Beaudine. I want to visit him, in my capacity as Chief Counselor of this little outpost of ours, to ensure his mental and emotional well-being."

"He's already been seen on the Minotaur when we collected him and conducted the Indictment. He's fit to stand trial, but I'll forward you their reports."

"This isn't a negotiation, Captain," Hrelle interjected. "Perhaps you've forgotten this is my station, and you're under my command now."

Louvois' expression steeled. "And perhaps you've forgotten the addendum included with the orders I know you received: you are specifically ordered not to interfere in any way with the judicial proceedings for Ensign Beaudine. It's to ensure the transparency of the process."

Now she looked between husband and wife, acting as if she was summoning up her case. "Counselor, the orders on the Commodore do not apply to you, so of course I will allow you to visit Ensign Beaudine, once he's been settled in the station Brig and meets with his defence counsel-"

"He hasn't even met his counsel yet?" Hrelle snapped.

She started at his reaction, but quickly recovered. "Unfortunately, we didn't have a full complement of JAG staff with us on our way to Deep Space Twelve when we were diverted to collect him. I will, with Mr Beaudine's participation should he choose, select a senior officer from the available, and qualified staff here, to act as counsel."

"Anyone in particular?"

"Yes," she replied, leaving it at that.

*

On the deck below, a set of Holodeck doors opened, allowing four Roylans to emerge: two adults and two children, the older of the children leading the way, bouncing happily. "That was great, Poppy!"

"Yes," agreed the older of the adults. Professor Tallus reached behind her and worked the muscles in her back. "Liyoral the Crystal City, constructed thousands of years ago by Bantik the Builder, a member of the Roylan Pantheon of Gods and Goddesses. It's magnificent even in holographic form... but also exhausting climbing the Parapet. I've been stationbound too long, I can't wait to get back in the field."

Beside her, holding his infant son Jaxan, Captain Weynik grunted at his mother, happy to have had the opportunity to see his children's reactions to one of the great wonders of their homeworld. Happy to have had any recreational time with his family, really. Since the War's end, and the loss of his leg and reassignment to Salem and the Katana, he felt like he hadn't a moment just to relax and enjoy life. "You have a new assignment?"

She nodded. "The newly-discovered underground sites on Axylus have produced some fascinating artefacts, and the Federation Archaeological Team based there need help identifying and cataloguing from the dig."

"Jax and I will come with you, Gramma!" Naida offered, looking back at them. "I've still got my shovel and bucket from the beach trip!"

"That's very generous of you, Sweetheart," Weynik told her, adjusting his hold on his sleeping son. "But you and your brother will be going out on the Katana with me for a few days once the Shiprot is cleared."

"Why can't I stay with Misha? He can fart a whole song!"

"He's talented, like his father, but I can't impose on his family all the time-"

"Captain Weynik?"

He turned, startled at setting another Roylan, a female, who rushed up towards them. He didn't recognize her, at first. She wore a Starfleet uniform like his, including Captain's pips on her maroon collar. "Yes?"

"You probably don't remember me," she said, taking a second to catch her breath. "I'm Captain Tamati."

He nodded in recognition. "Yes. Weren't you the Tactical Officer aboard the Endeavour?"

"I was. I got promoted and Admiral Tattok sent me out here to Salem Sector," Tamati smiled. "In command of the Minotaur."

"The supply ship?" He remembered that a Centaur-class ship was currently docked with the space station. It had been the command of Ed Haney during the Dominion War when he had been the Captain of the Ajax. Haney had ruined his career because of his feelings toward Esek. The last thing that he had heard about him was that he had been transferred to a ground assignment and subjected to mandatory Counseling.

"Yes, Sir."

"I envy you. The Minotaur has her scars and she's a good ship."

"I envy you, sir," Tamati said, turning her head to one side. "A Saber-class command after a Defiant-class ship. What's the chance of that?"

"Being friends with the Sector Commodore might have its perks but he only gives those out to his wife," Weynik replied with a slight chuckle.

Tallus made a sound of clearing her throat.

Prompting him to say, "Oh, sorry. Captain Tamati, this is my mother, Professor Tallus, and my daughter Naida and son Jaxan."

As she greeted them, albeit only with a cooing sound towards the still-sleeping Jaxan, he took a deep breath and exhaled. "So, what can I do for you, Captain?"

"I actually wanted to ask you if you have time for a drink later, Sir."

"Can the 'Sir', please," the Katana's captain told her. "And a drink?"

"Unless you're busy, Sir?"

Weynik was about to respond, when Tallus moved in and collected her grandson. "He's not, in fact. These ones are going back for a nap."

He watched his mother take charge, before shrugging at Tameti. "It appears I'm not busy."

"So, a drink, Si - Uh, Captain?"

Weynik started to walk alongside Tamati. "Sure, and please call me Weynik." He looked back at his family. "See you later."

"Take your time," Tallus assured him, smiling.

*

Don't lose your temper, Mori had warned her when Sasha had been summoned to the station's new JAG Officer - and when Sasha learned who the new JAG Officer was.

To be fair, she never promised she would follow her lover's advice.

Still, when she entered Louvois' office and stood at attention before her, it was all she could do to force back the memories of watching the court martial, watching how this bitch tried to paint her Dad as some sort of murderous, traitorous animal, a monstrous killing machine responsible for the deaths of everyone on the Furyk and on Salem One - including her Mom.

She forced back the memories of how shaken Dad, still recovering from his ordeal, had been from her efforts. She forced back the memory of the look of glee Louvois wore. She forced back her own hatred for this nasty, nasty bitch and what she did to her Dad.

And how she was currently sitting there, pretending to be distracted by the contents of the PADD in her nasty thin hands. "I'll be right with you, Lieutenant Commander."

Eat shit. "Yes, Captain."

Behind Louvois, Lt Cmdr Xan Maraud stood, watching her. He was about her age, his Efrosian heritage clear with his tangerine skin, cranial ridges, bright irises and white hair, though this one lacked the long moustaches and goatees that she'd seen on other males. She couldn't gauge what he was like - but if he was on Louvois' staff, then he couldn't be much good.

Another few seconds, and finally Louvois set aside the PADD and looked up, smiling politely. "Lieutenant Commander Hrelle, effective immediately you will be acting as Defence Counsel for Ensign Beaudine."

Sasha blinked. "Excuse me?"

"On the authority of the Judge Advocate General's office, you have been temporarily assigned to act as his legal advocate for the duration of his court martial. You are now officially on Judicial Duty, and your previous duties as First Officer of the Katana will be taken up by the next officer in line."

The younger woman broke her formal pose, and damn the consequences. She had expected her being called here to receive some sort of reprimand for interfering in her staff delivering Bill onto the station the way they did, but not this. "Is this a joke?"

"I never joke about my work, Ms Hrelle. I was originally assigned to Deep Space Twelve, where I would complete my staff and then court martial Mr Beaudine there once we collected him. But the orders came down that the trial, and myself, would be transferred here, to avoid a media frenzy that would be generated in a larger, more important environment.

I will be chairing the panel as President of the Court, with two command-level officers yet to be selected joining me on the panel, and I already have a Prosecuting Counsel with me in the form of Mr Maraud here. But the accused needs a Defence Counsel."

Sasha felt her face heat up from the very idea. "But I'm not a lawyer! I'm not certified!"

Louvois smiled. "You don't have to be; JAG Regulations allow for anyone to act as a legal representative in these proceedings."

"But why choose me?"

The older woman rose to her feet and stepped around the desk. "I've done my research on you. Your coursework on Starfleet and Federation Law at the Academy was satisfactory, you're matched in age and rank with Mr Maraud, and from what I understand, your actions earlier this morning confirmed your personal support for the prisoner. And, perhaps most importantly: Ensign Beaudine asked for you."

She swallowed. "He did? Why?"

"Why don't you visit him in the Brig and find out for yourself? You'll have full Security clearance in and out, at any time, though of course he'll remain there except when taken to the adjacent Courtroom for his trial."

Sasha turned away, trying to see if this was some prank her Dad was playing on her- no, that was stupid, even for her. "I- I can't do this, I'm sorry-"

"Lieutenant Commander, face me."

She did. Louvois folded her hands behind her as she regarded Sasha with a steely expression. "Ms Hrelle, you're not being asked to do this. You're being ordered to do this. If you refuse, two things will happen: one, I'll make a summary ruling on Ensign Beaudine, which I promise you will not work in his favour in any way; and two, I'll file formal charges of Dereliction of Duty against you, which I promise you will not work in your favour in any way.

And before you think to run to Daddy about this, you should know that he's under orders not to get involved in any way with the court martial. If he so much as makes a comment about it, he's finished, I kid you not."

Sasha felt her face tighten. Fucking bitch was enjoying this. "I can fight my own battles, Captain, without my father's help... and I'll fight Bill's, too."

*

Moments later, she was walking down the corridor with Maraud, the Efrosian stopping at a doorway and prompting her to stop as well. "This office will be available for your use, Lieutenant Commander, along with access to all the files, the testimony and evidence, and the hearing schedule. I would advise reviewing the Court Martial process; I've provided some helpful texts on the subject."

She stood there, looking in and nodding blankly. "Thanks." Then she noticed his expression. "What is it?"

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry? About what?"

Now Maraud smiled. "That your first taste of the law is going to be as a glorified mannequin, against me, with no chance of victory. It's a bit like having your first tactical lesson be the Kobayashi Maru. It'll be a hell of an ego bruise."

She bristled. "I don't care about my ego, Mister. Just my friend."

He seemed to consider her words, glancing around the area in case someone was listening, before he replied, "Well, Lieutenant Commander, look on the bright side: I spent four hard years at Starfleet Academy's Legal Division, learning my craft." He smiled and pointed at her as he walked away, adding, "What you'll learn from it won't take anywhere near as long."

*

After that, she found herself in Beaudine's stark cell in the station Brig, while he sat on the side of his bunk, his manacles removed but almost hunched over as if still weighted down by them. "Yes. It's all true."

Sasha felt her pulse quicken, and for a moment, she didn't know how to react, expecting a denial, or a declaration of ignorance about the incident. Not this. "What happened at Kalandra?"

Beaudine dropped his gaze. "You must have heard the reports, seen the news."

"Yes... but I want to hear it from you. The Destiny was sent there with the rest of the Seventh Fleet to retake the system from the Dominion. You were part of an Away Team shuttled to the tenth planet. What was that about?"

He nodded numbly, clearly reluctant to relive his memories, but pressing onward nevertheless. "The Fleet was fighting in the system, driving back the Jem'Hadar, and there were reports that the Dominion had set up some sort of ground-based facility, on an outer planet that didn't seem to have anything of strategic or material value. Admiral Quinn wanted to know its purpose.

We had to take a shuttle, due to the polaron interference making transporter use unsafe. Lieutenant Lincarnos led the Away Team, and there was me, Science Crewman Shelby, Engineering Crewman Rosen, and Security Crewmen Arvan and Otaktay. I piloted the shuttle, and would offer medical support if required.

I was... I was glad. Glad to be on the mission. The Dominion had seemingly abandoned the facility, so I thought we would be safe, as opposed to being in space, on the edge of death all the time." He made a pained sound. "I can't believe, after all I've been through, that I could still be so naive."

She saw him tense. "Did you discover the purpose of the facility?"

"It- It was some sort of automated refinery, processing... something. I- I don't know what. All this time since, I never figured it out. I was at the edges, near the shuttle.

It didn't matter. Before we knew it, the Jem'Hadar emerged from all around us, waves and waves of them, endless, relentless, merciless... and so silent. Not like Klingons or Nausicaans- at least they don't act like mindless robots..."

Now Beaudine looked up again, trembling now from the memory. "They came at us. Like they did at Tyra, and Sybaron... and in my nightmares, before and since. No matter how many we killed, there were more, always more, to take their place. We were all separated, cut off from each other, pipes were cracking open and walls were coming down, there was gas and noise and confusion and we were all fighting to stay alive, doing our best... but our best wasn't good enough, not against those monsters.

I was closest to our shuttle, and Lt Lincarnos was screaming at me over my combadge; we had wounded, they needed medical aid. I- I got to the shuttle... but all I could think about was getting away... getting away...

Before I even acknowledged it to myself, I was in orbit, and heading away, trying to get back to the Destiny. But it had been driven off, leaving only the Dominion...

Five colleagues, five friends... five good, decent people who might still be alive today... died. Because of me..."

Sasha stared at him, feeling her stomach twisting. Ever since the news broke about Beaudine's actions, a part of her was waiting to find out... the truth. That everyone had gotten it wrong, that he'd been captured, or brainwashed, or framed for it. It was too much to accept as reality, not for anyone who knew him.

And he must have seen something in her eyes. "If you don't want to represent me now, I'll understand-"

She forced down her shock and dropped to one knee before him, capturing his attention as she took his hands in her own, her voice soft, sympathetic. "I'm not going anywhere, Bill; you have me in your corner, and you always will. But... when you were released from the camps after the War ended, why didn't you come forward, and tell the truth? Why did you run when Starfleet found the shuttle and read the logs?"

Beaudine's eyes welled with tears. "Fear, Sasha. Always the fucking fear. It feels like it's a part of me forever. Inescapable-"

"Well, there's a surprise."

Sasha and Beaudine looked up to see Lt Nizig, leaning against the side of the cell doorway, arms folded and looking inside with cruel amusement as he added. "At least you're honest about your cowardice, Flinch."

Anger galvanised Sasha's limbs, making her straighten up and face the guard. "What the Hell are you doing here? This is meant to be a confidential meeting! I'm his defence counsel!"

The Suliban smirked. "Talk about Mission: Impossible. You should call in sick on this lost cause, Lieutenant Commander. As for you, Flinch: better for you and everyone else if you'd died with the rest of the team you murdered."

Sasha looked back at Beaudine. "Don't listen to him, Bill. I'll be back soon to check on you." She strode up to the doorway, until the invisible forcefield made a warning noise, her expression one of taut fury. "Let me out, Mister. Now. That's an order."