Surefoot 82: Persona Non Grata

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Why are you all so eager to excuse cowardice?" Th'kirat demanded angrily. "We are the first and last line of defence for the Federation! Hundreds of worlds, billions of people, need to know they can depend on us to protect them, even if it costs us our lives! They deserve no less!"

"No one is saying they don't," Nash reasoned, feeling the tension boil in the room as all focus moved from the viewscreen to their argument. "But that doesn't mean Beaudine deserves the hate everyone seems to want to pile on him. Maybe if we listen to what Lt Cmdr Hrelle has to say about it-"

Th'kirat grunted. "Don't even speak about her! That traitorous bitch is just as bad for what she's doing to save that Flinch!"

Boladede had made a visible effort not to react to Othello Squad's jibes or the resulting heated debate. Now, however, he faced them fully, an uncharacteristic fury galvanising his defensive stance. "Retract that insult against her!"

Othello Squad formed a defensive line around Th'kirat, even as Macbeth Squad did the same around Boladede - while Nash pleaded, "Stop this! Everyone, stand down, now!"

"You don't give us orders," Melnetjhe reminded her.

"No," agreed a new, familiar voice in the room. "That is my task."

The crowd that had surrounded both Squads parted like curtains, allowing Commander Haluk to approach. He glanced up at the viewscreen. "Computer: End Transmission." As the screen blackened, he looked to each group in turn, but obviously spoke to all present. "Effective immediately, all cadets on Station Salem One are forbidden from viewing, attending or discussing the court martial of Ensign Beaudine without prior permission from myself. Also effective immediately, all cadets are forbidden from utilising the slur 'Flinch', under any circumstances."

He turned to focus on Th'kirat as he added, more harshly, "In lieu of formal disciplinary measures, Othello Squad will spend the next two weeks performing additional maintenance duties on the Drydock Deck, thanks to their Squad Leader's reference to a superior officer as a 'traitorous bitch'. A repeat of this act of gross disrespect will result in immediate expulsion from Starfleet Academy, without right of appeal.

Dismissed, all of you - except for Macbeth Squad."

As the room cleared like an airlock had blown out, he turned to Macbeth Squad, gazing at Gela and silently holding out his hand. The Ferengi gave up his PADD, hastily explaining, "Commander, I've been working on an exercise in probability mechanics-"

Haluk quickly perused the data on the screen, never looking up as he asked, albeit mildly, "Do you really wish to insult my intelligence by carrying your lie to its illogical conclusion, Cadet?"

The Ferengi shut up, leaving Nash to offer, "Commander, I must accept responsibility for my squad's actions."

The Vulcan still didn't look up as he replied, "If so, then you must also accept responsibility for your commendable attempts to de-escalate the situation that had arisen. There are always other circumstances to be considered." He handed the PADD back to Gela. "You have just donated the credits you collected for your 'exercise' to the Station's Civilian Support Fund. Your generosity is appreciated.

Do not repeat it, however. My appreciation for such generosity will only go so far. "

*

"Your Honours," Maraud began, moving around the Courtroom. "Members of the Court, the facts of the case are straightforward: that the accused, Ensign William Beaudine, abandoned his duties to Starfleet in the midst of a military operation, an abrogation which cost the lives of five members of Starfleet, men and women who depended upon him, as Starfleet depended on him to do his duty, as part of the ongoing War against an enemy which threatened to annihilate the Federation and everything it stands for.

The Defence will, I am sure, talk at length about the reasons why Ensign Beaudine abandoned his duties to Starfleet, to the Federation. I will counter that these reasons are irrelevant... but the consequences are not. And the families of the five people who died on Kalandra VII deserve to see justice done."

He returned to his table, as Sasha rose from hers and approached the centre of the Courtroom, ignoring the audience and the cameras and focusing on the Judges. "The Prosecution speaks of the duties my client holds to Starfleet. These are duties we all share. We are made aware of them, reminded of them every day we put on these uniforms, every day we wear this." She reached up and pointed to her combadge without actually touching it.

"But he neglects to mention the duties that Starfleet, the Federation, have to us. We are not drones, we are not servos or statistics or parts of a great machine. We are people, with names and lives and strengths and weaknesses. We are not indestructible. And we rely on each other for support and oversight, for those times when we fail, or threaten to fail.

And just as there is a diagnostic network in place in vessels and facilities for monitoring mechanical systems, to identify potential problems and treat them before they become serious, there is a diagnostic network for monitoring the mental and emotional health of people, and treating those before potential problems become serious.

No one will argue that Ensign Beaudine's actions on Kalandra VII didn't happen. They did. And people died as a result. But I will argue, and hope to demonstrate to the Court, that due to the failure of duty of care to him, he should not be held responsible for those actions and the consequences of them, any more than you can hold a warp coil for malfunctioning, when it could have been treated beforehand."

She felt the tension in the audience behind her at her words... and ignored it, returning to her seat. Here goes everything...

*

Sternhagen and Zir were in Recreation on Deck 6, completing mandatory visual inspections of the airlocks, when a disturbance drew them over to a public monitor by the Theatre broadcasting the court martial, in time to witness a heated argument between off-duty personnel, until Sternhagen shouted, "This had better stop right now or I'll call the Hippo Guy from Security to start sitting on people!" She turned away. "What the Hell's going on?"

Zir checked an update on her PADD. "She- Lieutenant Commander Hrelle changed the expected verdict for Ensign Beaudine earlier to Not Guilty. She's claiming diminished responsibility, and blaming Starfleet for lack of care towards him."

Sternhagen glanced around, catching the surprise and resentment. "Screw this." She tapped her combadge. "Sternhagen to Ops: cancel the live feed for the court martial to all the public screens."

Lt Arik's voice returned. "Captain, those orders from the JAG Office-"

"People can still watch in the privacy of their own quarters if they're that hungry for the drama. But it's generating public disorder out here. I'll take responsibility for it."

"Whatever you say, Ma'am. Ops out."

Abruptly the viewscreen dropped the image of the Courtroom in favour of the default sector map and itinerary of events. People made noises of complaint but began dispersing.

Go find some cute tribble videos to occupy your time. "What's next, Kiddo?"

Zir had a quick check on her PADD. "The briefing with Captain Blum regarding possible Highwaymen activity at the Border."

"The Highwaymen?" She grunted as they headed to the lifts. "They're out of their normal territory. Come on, let's see what the Fat Cat keeps in his secret snack stash under his desk."

*

"Ensign Beaudine! We need you down here! We're dying! Scott's bleeding out! Help us! Goddammit, where the Hell are you?"

It was strange, seeing a hologram sitting in an identical chair to the one currently sitting in the Salem One courtroom, projected over the real one. The hologram, a real-time transmission was of a stocky, middle-aged human male of Asian origin, with receding black hair peppered with grey, and a trimmed, matching moustache and beard, and Commander's pips on his Starfleet uniform, nodding and frowning as he, and the Courtroom, continued to listen to the audio logs of the Away Mission on Kalandra.

Sasha listened as well, though it had been for what felt like the fiftieth time, she devoted some attention and concern for Beaudine, sitting beside her. But he seemed to be handling re-listening, and the reactions they could hear and feel from the live audience behind them.

Then it ended, and Maraud rose and approached the chair, aware that the cameras were transmitting his own image to the location of the Commander's body. "Commander Yaichiro, in your capacity as a Records Officer for Starfleet Administrative Operations, you were responsible for collating and categorising the logs and related records for the USS Destiny for Starfleet Command. This included the logs of the Away Mission to Kalandra VII. Can you confirm that what we just played is genuine and unaltered?"

Yaichiro nodded. "It is, Lieutenant Commander, genuine and unaltered. I examined the recordings and timecodes for the recordings received by the Destiny during the Away Mission, from the original shuttle that the criminal had taken-"

Sasha rose to her feet. "Objection, Your Honours: my client remains accused, he's not been convicted."

Yaichiro's hologram looked at her smugly. "Yet."

"That's quite enough, Commander," Weynik chided. "Ensign Beaudine's counsel is correct."

"Yes," Louvois agreed - though she sounded a little reluctant to support the admonishment. "Please continue, Mr Maraud."

Maraud nodded. "Yes, Your Honour. Finally, Commander, having studied the incident on Kalandra, what is your assessment of the situation?"

Now Yaichiro looked in Beaudine's direction, his disdain clear. "Detestable. In all my years in Starfleet, I have never encountered such a blatant display of cowardice. It mocks all of the sacrifices the rest of us have made in ensuring the survival of the Federation against our enemies. And I hope Ensign Beaudine is thoroughly ashamed of himself."

She sat there and stared at Yaichiro a moment longer, before picking up her PADD and running a quick check, as Maraud concluded, "Thank you, Commander, no further questions. Lt Cmdr Hrelle, your witness?"

Sasha nodded and rose, approaching. "Commander Yaichiro, have you seen the unexpurgated version of these logs?"

"I have."

"Would you care to fill us in on the reason behind the Away Team Mission?"

Maraud had started to rise, presumably to object, but Louvois banged her gavel first. "Ms Hrelle, the details of the mission are classified, and irrelevant to these proceedings. I thought this had been clearly explained to you."

She faced the Judges' Table now. "Then, Your Honour, I formally ask that the charges be dismissed, on the grounds that lacking the complete picture of the circumstances behind the events, you are unfit to judge my client."

Louvois glared at the younger woman. "Request denied... and I'll overlook your contemptuous implication this time. Your question is not permitted. Do you have anything else to ask the witness?"

"Yes, Your Honour." She turned back to the hologram. "Commander Yaichiro, tell us about yourself."

"Myself?"

"Yes. How long have you been in Starfleet?"

He smiled proudly. "Nineteen years. It'll be twenty in July."

"Congratulations. And how many of those nineteen years have you been in Starfleet Administrative Operations?"

"All of them."

"On Earth?"

"Yes, mostly at the Mount Diablo Archives outside of San Francisco."

Sasha nodded gravely. "So... no combat experience as such, then?"

He frowned. "Excuse me?"

"You've not been posted to any starships or starbases that have seen combat, am I right?"

He frowned, looking at the judges. "Is this relevant?"

Louvois turned back to Sasha. "A good question. Commander Yaichiro is here to confirm the authenticity of the recordings only."

Sasha indicated Maraud. "Then the Prosecution shouldn't have asked for his opinion on my client's actions during the incident at Kalandra. By doing so, he declared the Commander a de facto expert on combat and military operations, and I have every right to challenge his opinion."

Weynik and Godleski nodded on either side of Louvois, leaving her to finish with a nod to Yaichiro. "Please answer the questions, Commander."

Yaichiro displayed some discomfort now. "No, Ms Hrelle, I haven't been posted to any starships or starbases that have seen combat."

"But you have earned decorations, haven't you? Someone with your redoutable length of service must have earned many achievements, am I right?"

"I- Well, of course-"

"Name them."

He was flustering now. "I really must object to this-"

Sasha raised the PADD in her hand. "Allow me to assist you then, Commander: You have the medals for Good Conduct, and Five, Ten and Fifteen Years' Service... presumably with the Twenty Years' Service medal to come in July." She lowered the PADD. "You have access to Ensign Beaudine's record there. Please read for the court his list of medals."

Now his brow was darkening with anger. "I will not! I didn't agree to attend this to be humiliated by some junior officer!"

"Would you rather face charges of contempt of court?" Godleski countered.

"Hate for you to have to return that Good Conduct medal," Weynik quipped.

Yaichiro blustered... but picked up a PADD at his end of the transmission, swallowing and delaying his response as long as he could. "Ensign Beaudine has received medals for Five Years' Service; Starfleet Distinguished Service; Combat Action; Shuttle Flight Operations; Extended Tour; Starfleet Purple Heart, awarded twice; Khavak Sector Campaign Service; Tyra Sector Campaign Service; Small Arms Expert Marksmanship..." His voice trailed away, and he didn't quite meet Sasha's eyeline..

Allowing Sasha to follow up with, "You forgot the Starfleet Medal of Commendation for Exceptional Valour, that he received while he was still a cadet."

"I believe you've made your point, Ms Hrelle," Louvois noted archly. "Have you anything further for the Commander?"

Sasha focused on the hologram. "No, Your Honour... except of course to personally thank him, for the sacrifices he's made by keeping our archives in San Francisco up to date."

Yaichiro's image scowled at her. "I don't appreciate sarcasm, Lieutenant Commander."

She remained unintimidated. "Then, with respect, Sir, don't invite it."

"If I'm not careful," Weynik muttered to no one in particular, "My First Officer might end up transferring to the JAGoffs."

*

The image of the older bearded Terran male with the aquiline nose and the Starfleet uniform filled the office screen. "We conducted a thorough enough search of the transport ship, their manifest and registry all checked out: a straightforward drop of supplies and equipment to Elba II. No contraband found, no anomalies in the crew records. All Clear."

Sternhagen nodded. "So what's raised your hackles about them being Highwaymen, Marvin?"

Captain Blum frowned. "The transport ship had undergone a number of designations and planetary registries. Nothing new about that... except some of those past designations have been associated with Highwaymen criminal activity. And... my Betazoid First Officer doesn't like their feelings."

She made a sound at that, looking to her left at Zir. "The Commodore will want a report on what's at Elba II."

The Orion nodded, as Sternhagen sipped her coffee and looked back at the screen. "Now, the big question is: What Would Hrelle Do? Well, in between stripping fried shuris pieces to the bone, I think he might remind you that you still have a full complement of Class 8 probes: prep one or two to shadow the transport ship just out of their sensor range, while you make a noisy retreat to the al-Razi, Lucille needs those spare torpedoes."

Blum smiled. "Will do, Kate. How's the Big Seat?"

She leaned back and put her boots up on the desk, moving the chair slightly this way and that. "I could get used to this; the Fat Cat will have to pry me out of it when he gets back. Salem One out." The screen went black. "So, what's next-" She paused as she saw the expression on Zir's face. "What?"

The younger woman was staring with disapproval at the older woman's boots on the desk, but otherwise remained silent. Sternhagen drank her coffee. "How long have you been away from Orion?"

The question seemed to catch Zir off guard. "Uh... six, almost seven years."

Sternhagen nodded at that. "A long time to be out of contact with your family. Sorry to hear about it."

"How did you know about that?"

"The Commodore. Don't worry, nothing too personal... and definitely nothing uncomplimentary. He's very fond of you, and very impressed with you - but this need for you to prove yourself by being the Perfect Adjutant isn't necessary, or healthy for you. You don't have to be getting up in the middle of the night to be there for him; if he needs you, he'll call." She shrugged. "Then maybe you and Arik can get a full night together."

Zir's skin turned a darker shade of green. "Uh... how did you know about that?"

"Hrelle picked up your mingled scents about a week or so ago. Then it became obvious once we all started watching you. But don't worry, we won't embarrass either of you."

"Thank you."

Sternhagen drank again, before asking, "So, the whole Bajoran ribbed nose thing... does it appear on any other body parts?"

*

Kami sat up straight in the witness chair, keeping her tail behind her still as she continued. "Ensign Beaudine was directly involved in over twenty combat engagements involving the loss of life of colleagues, and the risk to his own life, in a period of over 18 months prior to the incident on Kalandra, with a deficit of Counseling sessions afterwards, and almost no shore leave to rest and recover."

Sasha stood beside her, in the space between her and the Judges' Table. "Is it standard Starfleet procedure to allow personnel to endure such an extended period of trauma without sufficient Counseling or recovery time?"

"Absolutely not. The timecodes of the sessions, the cursory notes taken, all demonstrate little to no proper treatment offered despite the obvious signs of rising issues within Ensign Beaudine."

"And what will be the psychological impact of such an extended period of time without the opportunity to recover from repeated trauma?"

"An erosion of mental stability, affecting memory, coordination, and especially judgement."

"And would this erosion be significant enough to account for the acts to which he has been accused of, on Stardate 52636.13 at Kalandra?"

"Yes, it's very likely."

"Thank you, Counselor." Sasha took her seat beside Beaudine.

Maraud took her place. "Commander Hrelle, how long have you been a Counselor?"

"Thirty-one years."

The Efrosian nodded. "An impressive amount of time; you've been a Counselor longer than I've been alive."

She raised an eyebrow. "I'll take that more as a reflection on my experience than your youth."

He smiled. "I'd appreciate that. You served as a Counselor during the War. Did you not find that there were periods when the needs of Starfleet did not allow you to implement the types of treatment you would have preferred for your patients? After all, as much as we all would have liked to take shore leave when we needed it, the Dominion and its allies remained a threat."

"There is a difference between shore leave for recreational reasons, and therapeutic leave for those in danger of mental and emotional collapse." She eyed him. "Did you serve on the frontlines, Mr Maraud?"

1...56789...12