Swann's Light Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"One of the final security measures woven around the item was a spell that causes the complete destruction of the vault, and the building, that it was housed in." Mr. Kole said.

Thorn wood furniture gleamed with magic, the wood as enchanted as the door, though laced with magics far more subtle and deadly. Here and there curios and rare artifacts were tastefully displayed. The curved grace of a sword older then most of the world rested upon a far wall, while another held a large and detailed map of the world. Mr. Kole moved past centuries of history and secrets, barely looked at the skull of an enemy that most would weep to know was truly dead.

Instead he paused at one of three long bookshelfs, the volumes contained within so rare that they could be called unique. It took him only a moment to find the one he wanted and pull it down, his sharp eyes scanning page after page as he walked over to Ms. Winters.

The grave seriousness in his eyes made the world stop. For the next moment, nothing mattered to the Archangel Wintre more then what he was about to say.

"The Heart of the Sun" he said softly, pointing to a richly detailed illustration on the page. It took his assistant only a moment to read and translate the text, and by the time her eyes met his Mr. Kole knew that she understood the reason for care.

"So where is the Heart now?" Ms. Winters asked

Closing the book Mr. Kole eyes burned with rage as he said "At home, in my personal vault."

The fury she saw in his sharp steel eyes frightened Ms. Winters more then anything else could ever have "Then what's wrong?"

Mr. Kole's voice seemed deeper somehow, darker. She felt the chill wind in his soul flowing through the room as he spoke softly "The Heart of the Sun is the only thing that can contain the Light of Avasei."

He could not help but pleased at Ms. Winters quick thinking when she asked "Then how did Swann use the light on that Angel?"

<><><><><><><><><><><>

In the city of Bahl there were a dozen streets where one could find a place to sate the hungers of the flesh, barter the coins of the soul or draw the dead back to the living realm. Of course all these cost far more then just money, and some debts could never be fully repaid.

It was a matter of survival in Bahl, the city that sat proudly in the free lands caught between the Kingdom of the Damned and the Provinces of Heaven. A center for trade from both sides of an unending war, the city had grown into a strange mix of celestial and infernal citizens vying for home and hearth with the last of the human nomads. Strict trade policies and codes of conduct had long ago been instituted within the boundaries of Bahl, laws that were broken as often as they were cited, but much of the city still held to the oldest ideals of both nations.

It was here that Joshua Swann had first been born, the child of reluctant parents whose lives were spent as much at work as at play. He could remember a few scant hours each day when his parents would both be home, a few hours of tension and anger that melted out the door as darkness settled. He could remember nights alone in one of the many small apartments his parents had dragged him to, nights listening to screams of pain or the growling of his own stomach while his mom and dad drank away what little pay they had earned.

It wasn't long before the streets called to him too, and he learned one of the first real lessons of survival. No one makes it alone.

He hadn't been as foolish as most of the kids in his neighborhood, hadn't joined up with the first gang that offered him a spot, didn't take the first mark offered to him just to have access to that power. It hadn't made him a lot of friends. He took more the one beating, and lost more then a few dollars, to the other kids around him for simply refusing to join in their stupidity. He also watched more then one of those kids die at ages far to young.

It had been years before he made his first real friend, and through that friendship had earned the mark he had worn proudly all his life. After that day, the kids in the neighborhood knew better then to touch him, the thugs on the street knew better then to hassle his dad or leer at his mom. They knew that something in the dark was watching out for him and those closest to him. They knew that he had become part of a family.

The Black Feathers had long ago earned a spot as one of the most powerful gangs in the city. Powerful, but highly selective about those they took into their house. The family had a more defined purpose then many of Bahl's gangs, operating almost exclusively as thieves and spies in the constant struggle between the two nations surrounding them. Their position of neutrality was meant to be a reflection of Bahl's own neutrality a simple statement that said the family was about business.

The small and intimate nature of the Black Feather family had deeply affected Joshua, the early years of his training under the direct guidance of Lady Crow being among the most formative and influential of his life. Her skill with pick and blade, her knowledge of the most obscure and powerful larcenous spells, as well as her many years of experience had all had a hand in shaping him into the Master Thief he had become. She had also taught him another lesson, one much harder to learn then any other. Sometimes one could buy their way out of a family.

Lady Crow had called it 'retirement', had claimed that after so many years and so many jobs the only challenges left were in training and even that could be better handled by others in the family. He never got the whole story, never quite found out what she paid for her 'retirement' plan. Joshua only knew that now just a few years later Lady Crow ran the most distinguished tattoo parlor in town. Bleeding Art Studios.

She didn't look up from her position behind the counter as he pushed through the shaded glass door Lady Crow didn't need to. He could feel the magic at the doors boundary, the soft veil of her power that washed over him and decided to be his friend. Not for the first time he stopped to wonder what would happen when her spell finally decided he was an enemy. When he caught her warm almond eyes and the amusement in them, he knew Lady Crow was thinking the same thing. He had disappeared rather suddenly.

"So you've returned." She said softly before standing and moving around the counter. "Well let us take a look at you then duckling."

He snarled at the old nickname, but didn't dare disobey her either, instead he stepped forward for Lady Crow's inspection and did his best not to leer at his 'older sister'.

He cared little for what the rumors and whispers had said when she left, Lady Crow was still a woman very much in her prime. Like him she bore some angel blood, some liaison with the light had touched her bloodline just enough to give her more then the usual bit of power. It made her, oddly, lighter. Much lighter, like him she had the weight of a feather and moved with the greatest of grace. It was a requirement for serious advancement in the family. Speed, stealth, sorcery. The arcane arts had to be as natural to the candidate as breathing, the rest as fluid as water. She had taught him all that, and every ounce of it poured out of her as she stroked her talented fingers along his arms and looked him up and down.

He couldn't resist, not with the sweet scent of whatever she teased her dark auburn hair with filling his senses. Her skin was like pearl, the faintest hint of light ever present in each full sensual curve. In the weeks since she had first left the family Joshua learned a few other secrets about the woman he thought he knew so well. She had kept her full breasts concealed somehow, he had never asked what she did, he just knew that in the weeks after Lady Crow left her bosom doubled in size. The low cut top she wore now displayed them perfectly, tempting him to indulge his senses and lose his concentration.

He fought back his urges by wondering what Crow saw when she looked at him, did his old teacher see the young novice still scrawny from lack of food, pale from lack of sleep. Did she see him as he had grown over the years, locking him in some pubescent body and ignoring every part of him that had grown. The question of whether Lady Crow saw the man he was, the well trained body, the firm muscle, the pale moon kissed skin?

When his eyes lifted to meet find her fair face Joshua noticed she was still staring at his bare golden chest. "See something you like?" he asked playfully.

The concern in her almond eyes made him shiver, the mind this 'sister' had never did make it easy for him to deceive her. "Where have you been?"

He was shocked, frankly. It was one of the oldest rules amongst the family that when it came to the job, it was business. On rare occasions they would work together, and he knew of at least one piece in her establishment that Lady Crow had stolen so many times over her career she finally decided to buy it herself. But when it came to details of their no one in the family disclosed names, places, or items. It wasn't done.

"You know I can't tell you that Crow" he said softly, his eyes hardening as he watched her dig in for a fight.

"Can't or won't?" she said gently.

"Fine. I won't tell you that and you should know why, you were the one who taught me remember?" he asked, his voice growing more heated as he turned around and locked the door to ensure no one walked in one them.

Lady Crow let slip a word in the old language that made him want to giggle. He hated when she tried that diversion to get him to open up about something he was hiding.

"Why are you being so damned annoying Crow!" he growled at her, slipping around the counter with the familiarity of an old employee and easily finding the bottle of aged Mersian Whiskey he had procured for her last birthday. Skipping the glass resting beside it he took a long swig from the bottle before setting it down on the counter.

She walked up to him so very slowly; her eyes downcast as she weighed over something and absently took the bottle for her own quick drink. "I heard you had died. I didn't believe it of course, not even the Maelstrom brothers could kill Joshua Swann."

Taking another sip from the bottle, Crow handed it over to him and turned around to rest her back against the counter and look at the various tattoo examples hanging in frames on the far wall. "Why is your tattoo White Joshua?"

"What?" he asked, his eyes immediately dropping to the black feather tattoo on his chest. The feather that had been colored black this morning. He said nothing, could say nothing. How could he explain it to her anyway?

"Where have you been Swann?" she said again, his eyes lifting up in confusion to find her staring at him worriedly.

"Gemisal." He said without thinking, the city deep in the Provinces of Heaven was known for its rich museums and personal collections. It was also a favorite target for the Black Feather family. "Bulcante's Vault."

"WHAT!" Lady Crow roared, then grabbed the bottle and took a hard drink. When she was done the woman gasped, her eyes watering, but she made a motion for him to go on.

"Some old art piece covered in black silk. I didn't even look at it, what was the point? I just tucked in my satchel and made my exit." Joshua realized he had just broken the first and most cardinal rule of the Black Feathers.

"How did the Maelstrom Brothers find you?" she said then, guessing he had contacted his employer and arranged the drop. The simple question led her to the obvious conclusion about who had set him up, but she wanted to hear him say it.

"Mr. Kole" he said softly. The same answer he had come to. It was time for another drink and he took one to match Lady Crow's last.

He coughed once, shook his head then spoke slowly "They came at me just outside the rendezvous point, very casual, very intent on their target."

Lady Crow nodded "I've heard some of this, Riel came at you with that burning fucking axe of his while Drafin worked up some kind of spell. I'm told it fell like he was birthing a nightmare for you to play with?"

Joshua gave her a curious look then shrugged. " I don't know. I brought up a shield spell and pulled my wing blade but when his first fire wave hit me everything exploded around us."

Lady crow nodded "We all heard it, thought it was Drafin's spell backfiring. I hear he is pushing deeper and deeper into the Chronicles."

Joshua shook his head softly and said again "I really don't know. I was thrown by the explosion and lost consciousness. When I woke up the satchel was gone and the brothers were nowhere to be seen."

She gave another nod and turned her gaze to the wall, letting her mind wander as Joshua walked out from behind the counter and made his way into one of the parlor's comfortable leather chairs.

"Do you remember anything else?" Crow asked in a whisper.

Now Joshua hesitated. This had been the reason he had sought her out. It had been stupid to do so, especially after sending his message to Mr. Kole, but he could think of no one who knew the arcane better then his old teacher. "The Light of Avasei."

"What did you say?" Crow said in a startled voice.

"The Light of Avasei shows all things as they truly are." He whispered again.

"Where did you hear that? How could you know that spell?" She asked, her voice growing more frantic. Pushing away from the counter Crow ran over to door set in the far wall the up the stairs hidden behind it. He rose slowly, following as he heard the sound of her digging through something heavily.

When he reached the top of the stairs he found Crow at the far wall trailing her finger over a long shelf of books, pulling one down and flipping through it before tossing it to the floor. Usually so careful with the rare and ancient volumes, Joshua felt a surge of guilt at how quickly she had been pulled into this.

"I think I should go." He said.

"Sit your ass down Joshua!" Crow yelled, stopping just long enough to give him her hardest stare then turning back to her search. Finally she grunted, a sure sign she had found whatever it was she was looking for.

"There is no bloodline, no demon or angel that we know of who still knows the secrets of that spell Swann. Do you understand that?" she asked, handing him a book that had been opened to the page she wanted. He looked at it for a moment, wondering if Crow realized not everyone could instantly translate the old language it was written in, then looked up at her with a mock smile. "You taught it to me Crow."

"WHAT!" she said.

"In a dream....we were in the clouds?" he said, his eyes shifting away as he focused on the vague memory. "You said the light of avasei shows all things as they truly are."

"Okay." Crow whispered softly, accepting for the moment what he was telling her.

"Anyway, last night I tracked down one of Churchill's angels. Got her to take me out back." He wondered how much to reveal then shrugged softly, knowing Crow knew the hunting tactics of the Fallen Angels.

"When she revealed herself I kept hearing it over and over in my head, I just figured I was thinking about you. When the angel tried to take me all the way I made my move, except the first thing that came to mind was the light."

"So you attacked her with it?" Crow asked, then when Joshua nodded she turned away and began tapping her fingers against her soft pink lips as she paced the bedroom.

"Avasei is the name of one of the lost gods, the ones who created the human, demon and angel races in the first place. He was ancient and almost forgotten before the rebellion." Crow said, almost absently, then finally turned and faced him.

"You were thinking about me when you were with a Fallen Angel?" she asked, a curious smile growing on her lips.

"I..um" he stammered, trying to fight back a blush he knew was growing on his cheeks. "Maybe?"

"Mmmm..." she said softly, her finger lingering on her lip as she stared at him.

"What does that matter?" he asked hoping to change the subject "How can my tattoo be white now?"

"Well." Crow said gently, her finger stroking her lip before she realized the unconscious action and stopped "I think you absorbed some of the light, since your half angel it wouldn't be harmful to you."

"Ok. So we just need to find out what it was that I stole in the first place."

Crow gave a gentle nod as her eyes grew distant "I don't know of any artifacts or books related to Avasei, but I can reach out and see if anyone has heard of something?"

"Then if you don't mind I am going to take a shower and try to get some sleep." Joshua said with a hopeful smile.

Shaking her head with a laugh Crow pointed back towards the bathroom before heading downstairs to reach out to her contacts.

<><><><><><><><><>

The sensation of Ms. Winters pouring into his mind like a cold and sluggish stream made a shiver run down Darfin's spine, the aged page he had been turning held still in his delicate white hands as he spoke to the intruding presence aloud. Unlike his brother Darfin had long ago mastered his powers and the subtleties of their use, he could easily block Ms. Winters from reading his surface level thoughts, and he believed deep down that if it came to it he could force her out of his mind if she tried to reach any deeper.

A moment later he felt the vague sense of his brother Riel being tied to their minds, his brothers more vigorous activity sending waves of rage fueled lust pouring through the connection.

"Riel" he said calmly, wondering how long it would take his brother to realize their link with Ms. Winters while he was rutting with the broken slave girl he had purchased the week before. Of course she hadn't been broken to begin with, but Riel was hard on his toys. "Riel!" he growled in his mind.

His brother stopped with a grunt and lifted his shaggy head, his dark skin glistening with sweat. Darfin could almost hear the girl's vacant grunt as his brother pulled away and shoved her to the side. "What?" he heard his brother yelling, never quite understanding that he need not shout to be heard telepathically.

"You asked me to inform you whenever Ms. Winters is present." Darfin said calmly.

"Eh? You hear Winters?" his brother growled out loud.

"Thank you Mr. Darfin. Hello Mr. Riel I am present as you say." Ms. Winters voice whispered in their minds.

Darfin could feel Ms. Winters annoyance with the whole arrangement more clearly then ever before, making him wonder if she was truly focused on this task. He wanted to probe a little more, see if he could even skim the surface of the woman's thoughts while her focus was off.

"What can we do for you Ms. Winters?" Darfin said, feeling his brother's agitation at the slow pace of the conversation. Riel was more action oriented.

"I thought it best to inform you that Mr. Kole is displeased with your recent work." Came the cold words of Ms. Winters. For a moment he felt Riel truly awaken, the great dark beasts power deeper when he used his mind in conjunction with his power.

"That is unfortunate, thought confusing as Mr. Kole is often satisfied by our performance. May I ask which matter you are referring to?" Darfin replied, no longer bothering to speak and simply let his thoughts flow directly to the woman in his mind. Riel was patient, making Darfin wonder if his brother was working to hide something specific or merely intrigued by the notion of them failing at any job they performed for the enigmatic Mr. Kole.

"Joshua Swann is still alive." It was all Ms. Winters needed to say, the mere thought of it floating in both of their minds instantly put Darfin on the defensive. He could sense Ms. Winters further annoyance at offering them the courtesy of this conversation.