Synchronicity for Six Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dawn answered, "It's heavenly, Big John." She got up and took the seat across the table from Julie, leaving him the warmed chair which he gratefully accepted.

"Tell you what. Why don't you two finish your coffee then head out and get bagels for today and tomorrow, while Tom and I discuss things on our end. Dawn, you know what kinds I like. Tom prefers sweeter ones, so cinnamon raisin and cinnamon crunch for him please. We are still establishing some patterns, but grocery shopping seems to becoming a Saturday thing. We'll make up a shopping list, including the stuff to do tacos tonight."

= = =

David and Maggie arrived at the jewelry store at 8:50, so they had to wait a couple of minutes before Jack Johnson arrived to open the store. They were just sitting in his Jeep, holding hands and talking, with David doing most of the talking for once.

David told her of his one art class and how his mother's portrait had been so warmly received back by his instructor. He then spoke about his Psychology class and how Amanda was sitting with him during lectures. In his excitement, he related how all the guys' seemed so focused on the instructor's appearance than her words. Maggie was getting a bit agitated at this, but he noticed and quieted her anxiety with a soft, lingering kiss.

"I came back for you, Magpie. You mean the world to me. I'm sorry if I overshared a little. But I want there to be no secrets between us, nothing held back." Once Jack arrived to open the store, he helped her from his Jeep and they kissed once again. With a grin, David reminded her to take her lunch with her. "I'll be here at 4:30 sharp," he promised.

= = =

Dawn and John left to get the bagels from Panera. The only store in town was on the other side of campus from Tom and Julie's apartment. Their trip would take at least half an hour, giving Tom and Julie a little time to discuss things.

Julie and Tom sat at the table, sipping their coffee, pondering what to say. Both knew they wanted nothing more than to spend the rest of their life with the other. But they were at a bit of an impasse. Finally, when Julie had the cup to her lips, Tom spoke.

"Julia," he began and her eyes widened at the use of her formal name, "I suspect we may have an elephantine problem in front of us. Do you know how to eat an elephant?" Julie slowly shook her head, negatively. "One forkful at a time, as my dad would say. He would also say that the first step in solving a problem is to identify the problem. This is going to take some time to formulate what we wish to say in a way that it doesn't cause other problems. Please know this: I love you, and I cannot imagine my life without you. Your welfare and happiness matter more to me than my own. We will get angry with each other at various times in our life together. But we have to learn to live with each other and to keep the lines of communication open and flowing. Now, dry your eyes," because tears were beginning to well up in her, "let's set 'us' aside for when we have some more time. What are the most immediate small problems we can solve?" Julie wiped her eyes but still tasted a little salt on her tongue.

She nodded in agreement and said, "First, Dawn asked if she and John could stay over again tonight. Her roommate situation must be absolutely hellish. Dawn has never been one to back away from an argument, and her country background is showing through by her calling her roommate 'the Urban Rat'. They've been roommates for less than a week. There must be something that can be done."

"That's two things, Jules," Tom observed, soothingly reverting to 'Jules'. "First, I am fine with Dawn and John staying over again tonight. Had the roles been reversed, I'm sure we'd have been asking them for the same favor. It might make things a little problematic in the morning, because I am going to church. I would welcome them to come join us, assuming that you will be accompanying me." Tom arched an eyebrow at her with his words.

"That may bring a new problem to light if they request to become frequent weekend overnight guests. But we'll deal with that if and when it happens.

"Secondly, I recall there is a Residential Review process whereby incompatible roommate scenarios may be addressed and resolved. I believe the current version may be found online. Come on, let's refill our cups, start another pot, and go see what we can find online while we wait for John and Dawn to return with breakfast."

With a little help from a renowned web search engine on Tom's laptop, he tracked down the desired web page and document. They were sitting side by side, Julie jammed up tightly against Tom's left, as they began to read the document together. The front door opened and Dawn and John entered with bags of bagels and tubs of cream cheese. Julie leaped to her feet to relieve John of his burden. She and Dawn carried the treasures into the kitchen while John closed the door and hung up their coats.

"Whatcha lookin' at, Tom?" John inquired.

"Hopefully the answer to one of Dawn's problems, John. C'mere and take a look."

John sat next to Tom although not nearly as closely as Julie had been. John's eyes widened as he reviewed the screen's contents, and a smile gradually crept across his face.

"You are the man!" John proclaimed.

"We shall see, kind sir. There's still some possibility of a negative decision by the Review Board," Tom advised.

"But there's hope," John declared.

Meanwhile, the ladies were sorting out the sweet bagels from the not‑so‑sweet ones. Three flavors of cream cheese accompanied the two dozen bagels, and they had had the bagels pre‑sliced in the store.

"Toasted?" Dawn asked.

"Toasted and smeared!" Julie agreed.

It took a few minutes to toast four bagels, but soon Dawn called out to their guys, asking who wanted some fresh coffee. Both John and Tom took her up on the offer while they continued to examine the web page's content. The girls made multiple trips to and from the kitchen, and soon the coffee table was loaded. Looking at each other, Julie extended her hand to Tom then to Dawn. John caught on quickly and soon a brief blessing was asked.

"What kind of bagel did you get, John?" Tom inquired. "It doesn't look quite like my cinnamon raisin one."

"Nope. Chocolate Chip is my preferred poison," John answered. Tom made a little face then apologized. "My mother taught me never to 'yuck' somebody else's 'yum'. I hope you enjoy it."

After a couple of bites, John began to share what Tom had found. Dawn could complete and submit an online form requesting a roommate change to the Residential Review Board. She needed to complete and submit it by the end of the week. The Review Board would review the request on the Tuesday following the deadline. Until a decision was rendered, she would have to put up with her assigned roommate.

"Guys, thanks so much for finding that information for me. I'll get this filled out and submitted right away." Then Dawn looked at her ex‑roommate and pouted slightly, trying once again for sad puppy dog eyes. Julie laughed at her friend, then reached for Tom's hand once again.

"Dawn, Tom and I discussed it during your Panera run. You and John are welcome to stay tonight as well." Tom nodded to Julie's words when John looked up, surprised. Dawn gave a tiny squeal of joy, then asked to swap places with John. She immediately began to complete the form and submitted it, hoping the Review Board could decide this Tuesday and not delay another week.

By then it was 10:30 and they still had to make up a shopping list. With two houseguests, the need for food supplies was even more crucial.

= = =

The food was excellent; the company was even better. But the apartment was so small that the four friends could never occupy it for more than a couple of days. It wasn't a case of guests, like fish, beginning to offend after three days; far from it. But everybody needs some personal space and time and four people in that two‑bedroom, one‑bath apartment for an extended period would simply be too much.

For now, however, there were smiles all around. Tom had dragooned John into helping to prepare the vegetable toppings while Julie and Dawn prepared the rest of the meal and the dessert. John was proving to be adept at chopping the lettuce without cutting himself, a fact which surprised him a bit. Tom demonstrated a few of his scouting skills, particularly the ones involving knife safety and the cooking merit badge.

At last, everything was ready and the four prepared their plates and sat at the table. Little prompting was needed for hands to be clasped and heads bowed. This time, Julie led the prayer, giving heartfelt thanks for food, friends, and abounding love. That last was intended to be a subtle poke at Tom, as she was a little concerned about the discussion they still needed to have. She wanted to remind Tom that everything was workable as long as they truly loved each other.

= = =

All of David's close friends were back at their respective schools for their Spring semesters, so he was at loose ends while Maggie was working. He returned home after dropping Maggie off, but soon grew bored of watching movies alone. Movie watching had become a two‑person event for him.

That started him thinking about Maggie's situation. With his being gone to school so much, what did she have to do in her non‑work time? She did not seem to interact with anybody there in Middleburg, and he had not heard anything about her friends from Centreville. Was she bored as well? It definitely gave him some fodder for their discussion that night.

As for his finances, he had most of his money left from lifeguarding over the summer and at Christmas and he wanted to make it last for the semester as well. Coming home every other week was going to jack his gasoline and automobile maintenance costs significantly above their pre‑Maggie levels. But he also wanted to do something special for her for Valentine's Day, something sort of like what Tom had done for Julie at Thanksgiving. Sure, it was cliché, yet he wanted something she could see often to remind her of them. Decidedly conflicted, he got up from the sofa and went in search of his father for advice.

Alan was sitting in his recliner in the living room, reading another book by Kevin Hearne. Alan's phone was playing some Frank Sinatra playlist on Spotify at a low volume. Rose was lounging on the sofa, looking at a bridal magazine, searching for ideas. She would glance up occasionally and gaze with adoration at her man, then return to her search for inspiration. Hearing David enter the room, she lay her magazine in her lap and turned her head to regard him. He walked past her to sit at the end of the sofa closest to Alan.

"Momma, Dad, may I please interrupt you for a bit?" he asked.

Alan noted the page number and closed his book while Rose sat up straighter and looked at David closely. There was something in his voice that grabbed her attention. They waited. After a minute, and looking at his hands, David spoke.

"I don't know how I'm going to make it through this semester without her."

Alan pursed his lips and raised his head to look at where the ceiling met the wall. He had a good idea where this was headed. Rose scooted over to sit next to David, and she took his right hand in her hands. This was unlike her previous experience with Alan's sons. Both Tom and David had always seemed so certain of themselves, so strong. She saw tears beginning to form in the corner of his eyes.

"David, I know it may seem like your time in the 'bubble of happiness' has ended," Rose smoothly guided the discussion. "But from what I've observed this week, Maggie's been doing really well while you've been back at school this week. Your little surprise trip home this weekend will make it possible for her to last until you come home again."

"Thank you for that," David replied, sniffling back the tears. "Dad, I know it's kinda soon, but I'd like to get a ring for Maggie for Valentine's Day."

Alan's eyes widened in surprise. He sensed there was more to come, so he held his tongue, waiting for David to continue. Rose's hands clenched on his hands reflexively, evidencing her surprise.

"Dad, you remember how Tom got the pearls and earrings for Julie at Thanksgiving, right?"

"Yes, I recall that."

"And they had been a couple for just over two months by that time, correct?"

"Somewhere between two and three months," as Alan reviewed his mental calendar.

"Which will be right where Maggie and I will be, time‑wise, around Valentine's Day."

"David, your brother spent $500 on those items!" Alan warned.

"All I'm thinking about is a friendship or a promise ring, Dad, Momma. Just something she can wear on her right hand, view any time she desired, and be reassured that I'm coming back to her." Rose relaxed her grip a good bit at his explanation.

"David, from what I've been hearing you say, it sounds almost like you would want one, too," she answered.

He was startled by her observation then he thought about it. Oddly, it made perfect sense that they both would wear friendship rings. Something he could look at, whenever he desired, and know that she was waiting for him.

"Conveniently, we have someone in the house with an 'in' at a jewelry store, as well as friends at church," Rose continued. David smiled at her words. She stood and extended her left hand to him. "Come with me to the dining table and we'll do a little research on friendship rings. Alan, I've got this. You can return to your fantasy world." As David stood, she bent down and kissed Alan, teasing his lips with her tongue. Alan started to get into it and she pulled back with a glint in her eye, promising all sorts of things for later. "Come, David."

= = =

"Bye, Jack! See you tomorrow at church!" Maggie called out. Jack Johnson was locking the door and David was idling his Jeep in the empty parking space in front of the store. She climbed in and gave the driver a very sweet kiss, full of promises. David's right foot slipped from the brake to the accelerator and the engine suddenly revved, just like his own "engine". It was a very good thing they were in "Park". Jack spun to look at them and David was embarrassed. Jack just waved and wished them a good evening and hurried down the sidewalk towards the other store where he had parked that morning. Cautiously, David pulled out into the street and they made their way home without incident.

"So, how was your day, my beautiful Magpie?" David inquired.

"Kinda slow for a Saturday, to be honest. Then, at about 4:00, this couple walks in and they wanted to talk about wedding sets. Jack let me do most of the talking, too! I'm sorry we're so late getting out of there, but there was nothing I could do to hurry them in their decision-making process."

"It's not an issue, Mags. I got to sit in the fading sunshine and catch up with my buddies via texting. So, tell me more about this couple."

"Well, they seemed a few years older than Tom and Jules, and appeared kind of mismatched, at least to the casual observer. They were totally into each other, though. They would finish each other's sentences and never stopped being in touch with the other, even if it was just fingers entwined. I showed them everything we had in stock, and some of it was close. Then I thought to show them a picture of Mom's ring, and they about passed out with excitement! That was when Jack stepped in and he helped them to place a special order for the three‑piece set. They'll pick it up on the 13th. I'm so excited for them!" Maggie was practically bouncing in her seat, fortunately held in place by the seatbelt.

"That's so cool! I'm proud of you, sweetness. Your mom's making roast beef with potatoes and carrots for supper. I hope you're hungry."

"Starved. Lunch seems so long ago. I know it's only..." and she looked at his radio to see the time was 5:10. "Wow! We were late getting out of the store, weren't we?"

After a couple of minutes, David revealed, "I had a really difficult time this week at school without you. I tried not to let on, but I did. I was so happy to come home last night. Your squeal of delight made my heart thump. Your mom and I want to talk to you about something after supper, then I propose that we head to bed early, once our discussion is completed. I need some serious Maggie time tonight, please."

"Ooh, I like the way you think, Davey!" she enthused.

As was the custom, there was very little talking during supper, and no serious discussions took place. All Maggie could do was look questioningly at her mother and her boyfriend. She was practically bursting with anticipation of the promised discussion with David and Rose.

Alan watched Maggie's eagerness with amusement. He wasn't entirely certain how it all would play out, but he was intrigued. It was almost like watching a comedy where you had a good idea how it would end up, yet the path to that end was unclear. Once supper was finished, he helped to clear the table, then he stepped back to be out of the way. He ducked around the corner, staying close and listening.

Once Rose got the dishwasher loaded and running, she looked up and was surprised not to see Alan in the kitchen. David and Maggie were seated at the kitchen table, waiting and gently touching. Maggie was demonstrating to him how the couple in the jewelry store remained in contact with each other, and David was eating it up. It was so simple yet so profound.

Wiping her hands on a dishtowel, Rose sat in an empty chair and reached out to both children.

"Mom, David told me you two wanted to talk with me about something after supper," Maggie started things off.

"Yes, dear, we do. You know, of course, that Valentine's Day is coming up." Maggie nodded and Rose continued. "David had a tough week at school without you..."

"Yeah, he mentioned that on the way home."

"Well, Magpie, I'm concerned about you being here relatively alone," David smoothly injected himself into the conversation. "And your mom and I think we've found a partial solution. What do you think about 'friendship rings' that we would both wear on our right hands? I guess we could take them as 'promise rings', too. I think I need something tangible to help keep me focused and comforted while we're apart. I suspect the same could be true for you."

Maggie's eyes grew wide with delight. She had not even dreamed of anything like this. David was going to make her a promise! He was going to give her a ring! Something she could look at, touch, fondle with love! It was going to be like a part of him, a piece of his heart, would be with her every moment of every day.

Maggie started mentally reviewing the stock in the store where she worked that could be acceptable as 'friendship rings'. But everything had really expensive, precious gems or was part of a bridal set, and that did not seem quite right. This would require further thought and discussion. Besides, David wanted some 'Maggie time' tonight as well. It would be a perfect opportunity to talk through things. Then a sneaky, un-sisterly thought crossed her mind. 'I'll get a ring from David before Jules gets one from Tom!'

"I love the idea, Mom! But we need to be very serious in our consideration of this. Despite her getting the necklace and earrings from Tom, I don't think Jules would react very well if she knew I was getting a ring from David."

"You're probably quite right, Mags. You should be sure to make her know these would not be engagement rings. I think we should talk things over with Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, perhaps at lunch tomorrow?" Rose suggested. Maggie leaped to her feet and gave Rose a big hug and kiss, then pulled away.

"Mom, I need some 'Davey time' tonight. We're headed upstairs now and we'll see you in the morning for church. Come on, Davey!"