Synchronicity for Six Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Changing the subject, Maeve shared, "Our sales on Saturday were the best we ever had. There were many factors at play which led to that result, and we're hoping this Saturday will see even more business."

"What were some of those factors, Maeve?" Susan asked.

"One, an advertised 25% sale on everything. Two, the upcoming Valentine's Day holiday is a very common time for giving jewelry to loved ones. And three, Jack had the idea to bring in a hostess to greet customers and serve them coffee or tea while they waited for a salesperson to assist them. Katie agreed to help us try his idea."

"Yes, George and I experienced Miss O'Shea's hospitality," Mary added. "That was truly inspired on Jack's part."

"It turned out well. Thank you for coming in to look, Mary. Maybe this Saturday you could convince George to actually buy those pearls for you," Maeve smiled and arched an eyebrow. "We'll be having Katie be the hostess again if she's willing."

"We shall see about 'my' pearls, Maeve. Rose, did anything come of your inquiry about that property on Millersville Road?" Susan and Maeve turned their heads to regard Rose at this tidbit of news.

"Yes, on Saturday, Alan, David, and I drove out to look it over. Nobody's living there presently, so we couldn't go inside any of the buildings. Yesterday, I spoke with the lady who is inheriting the place. She and her family live near Blacksburg, Virginia but would like to come back home to Middleburg. It seems like they are in something of a bind. I'm hoping she is willing to consider selling the place. She would need the services of a decent realtor, though."

At the word 'realtor', Mary and Maeve looked at Susan with interest. Rose noticed and asked, "What's that look about?"

"Rose, I have my realtor's license and work maybe 25% of the time," Susan admitted. Rose's eyes widened as she considered this new information. "Do you happen to know the lady's name or anything about her that you can share with us?"

"Her married name is Helen Waters, but her maiden name was McKinley."

It was Susan's turn to be surprised. It had been several years since she'd heard anything about Helen McKinley.

"Helen and my daughter, Sophia, were good friends once upon a time. Helen spent a few nights at our home with sleepovers. But that was before they got into high school. They fell in with different crowds, their paths diverged, and we lost contact. She would have graduated from high school about 15 years ago when Sophia did."

A frisson ran down Rose's back, and she shivered slightly.

Mary noticed and commented, "It's a 'God' moment, Rose."

"What is?"

"These communicated needs may be immediately addressed by people present. Do you really want a realtor to make contact with Helen, so that you and Alan might get this house you desire? I can see it in your eyes, dear. Don't try to hide it."

"She commented to me that she did not know any realtors here in town anymore. Yet, it turns out that she may know of one better than she ever expected," Rose shared.

"Rose, I would like to make contact with her on your behalf, if I may," Susan offered.

"Go for it, Rose," Maeve prompted. "Susan once had a relationship with her, and that history should make it easier for them to reestablish it."

Nodding, Rose sent Helen's phone number to Susan, and added verbally, "I suggest that you wait until 6 or 7 pm to contact her. She's on Eastern time. Could you see how quickly you can arrange it so Alan and I can go inside to confirm that the property will meet our needs?" Susan nodded at Rose's request.

"Now, you have some work to do about that loan, don't you?" Mary asked. "Before I left, I remember seeing that the McKinley loan was not paid in November or December. You may put a moratorium on actions taken for up to 45 days. But you already knew this," seeing Rose nod her head at Mary's words.

"I had already discussed this with Helen and her husband, Steve. They are mailing a written request. Thank you for the reminder and the validation. I would like to talk with you some more about the process and the timing of this moratorium if you could stop by the office today." Turning her attention to Susan, Rose looked her squarely in the eye.

"Susan, if Alan and I can get the McKinley place, with you as the Waters' agent for selling and our agent for buying, we will definitely come back to you to list Alan's house."

Susan's eyebrows arched in mild surprise, then she got a shrewd look on her face.

"So, you would like me to be the sellers' and the buyers' agent for the McKinley place as well as the seller's agent for Alan's house?"

"In an ideal world, sure," Rose answered.

"How much were you hoping to pay for the McKinley place?" Susan asked. Rose laughed.

"As little as possible. That's the standard answer, isn't it?" That got a chuckle out of all three ladies.

"Seriously, Rose. What were you looking to offer? I need to have something when I call Helen out of the blue."

"Zillow shows an estimate of $400k. We know there will likely have to be repairs made, and we're prepared to address those ourselves. I also know this is a back-and-forth negotiation which can have many factors, including closing costs, your commission, et cetera."

"The figure, please, Rose?"

"Alright. Please bear in mind that I know how much is still owed on the outstanding loan and the escrow account, and there are some penalties for late payments due. Hang on, I need to get Alan's buy‑in on this first." She texted Alan, asking if she could authorize an initial offer of $350k for the house, pending all kinds of inspections. She quickly got an affirmative response.

"Very well, Susan. Alan agrees we should make an initial offer of $350,000 for the house, as-is. We will cover any needed repairs, provided the house is in a livable condition. I don't expect Helen and Steve to accept that, but it's a starting point, right?"

"Right. Okay, I'll contact Helen this evening. What about your house?"

"Do you mean Alan's house? He's the sole owner. Again, using Zillow for estimation purposes, it's shown as valued at $250k. Three bedrooms upstairs; two full baths upstairs including an ensuite and a half-bath powder room on the main level; full unfinished basement; attached two-car garage; and a fenced back yard, suitable for a dog or two. You know Alan well enough to be assured it's in great condition. It's simply become too small for our adult-sized, seven-person family."

"Thank you. That gives me some information I can start to work with. I take it you have to have a place to move to before you can sell your current place."

"You are correct, Susan. We would hope to move in before June, so we should also figure in time for any repairs needed before our moving in."

"And what's so special about June, pray tell?" Maeve asked with a gleam in her eye.

The grandfather clock chimed 8:00 just then, and Rose wiped her mouth and thanked Maeve and the other two for a very nice breakfast.

"I dislike having to eat and run, but I have to go get some things done on an existing loan," Rose explained and saw only nods and smiles from the other ladies. "I promise I will try not to miss another Tuesday morning breakfast."

"Drive safely, Rose," Maeve said as she stood and wrapped her younger friend in a very loving hug. "You never did answer my question, but I think I know why," she whispered.

"I'll be in touch as soon as I have something to share," Susan promised.

= = =

Mary Henderson stopped by the credit union offices just before noon. Smiling and greeting familiar faces, she made her way to Rose's office.

"How about we go have lunch at Applebee's?" Mary inquired. "My treat. Come on, girl."

Rose wasn't certain how she felt about the 'girl' part. Then she considered the decade‑plus in age difference, and she supposed it wasn't intended as a slight. She quickly picked up her coat and purse and followed Mary.

While waiting for their reheated appetizers to arrive, they sipped their water with lemon and waited for the other to start. Rose capitulated first.

"I've prepared all the forms I could without having a written request in my hand," she began, and Mary nodded "About the timing, can I hold off on starting the moratorium for a little bit if it's helpful, or do I have to start as soon as I receive the request from Helen?"

"Have you spoken with Don Masters and Mike Johnson yet? No? It would not hurt your position to get them on board with what you wish to do. They are very understanding gentlemen, but they have egos that need to be assuaged. You remember how to do this, right?" Mary looked down, then back up and made a twisting gesture near the middle of her chest.

"Mary!"

"Rose, you've got to use all the tools at your disposal. I'm not saying do anything, but reminding them that you are a beautiful woman cannot hurt. Think back to my words to you when you interviewed back in December. You need to sell them on your idea. Ah, here's our food."

They ate their food and Mary returned Rose to the office.

"Remember, a little lace showing, some nice, straight seams, and a little fragrance can work wonders with those two. Good luck, dear," Mary advised, then she headed for home.

= = =

Susan called Helen Waters late that afternoon.

"Hello, may I please speak with Helen Waters?" Susan began.

"This is she. Who is this?"

"Helen, this is Susan Larsen. Sophia's mom. Do you remember me?"

"OMIGOD! Omigod, omigod, omigod! Yes! Mrs. Larsen, it's wonderful to hear from you! How's Sophia?" Helen was gushing, almost babbling.

Susan quickly updated Helen on Sophia's life, then asked about hers.

"I married Steve Waters pretty much right out of college, and I now have two children; Peter will be eight in a couple of months, and Daphne will be five in August," Helen shared.

"Children can be a real blessing. So, the reason I'm calling is that a friend of mine, Rose Lawson, tells me that you might consider selling your parents' place out on Millersville Road."

"You know Rose?"

"Yes, I just had breakfast with her this morning, actually. Besides, I have a realtor's license although I just do it part-time, and she asked me to contact you."

"You're a realtor now? OMIGAWD!"

"Yes, Helen, I am. Rose told me that she and her fiancé were interested in your parents' place. She became aware of it because there were concerns with the status of the loan with the Agricultural Credit Union." That little revelation brought Helen quickly back to earth.

"Did she say anything about the loan?" Helen was worried about how much of her family's business was becoming common knowledge.

"No, she just said there were some issues that brought it to her professional attention, without getting into any of the specifics. She's such a wonderful person, by the way, and she has quickly become a good friend. She would never share such confidential information," Susan assured Helen.

"So, how do you know her?"

"She started attending my church right around Christmas after moving down from Centreville. She and her daughters moved from Centreville and are now living with her fiancé and his two sons. But they need a bigger place, which is where your parents' place comes into the story."

"Okaaay," Helen said, drawing out the word as she was thinking. "I owe her a written request to place the loan on hold, so I'll get that written out tonight and in the mail in the morning." The line was silent for a moment as neither Susan nor Helen knew what to say.

"What do you think, Mrs. Larsen? What would you do in my situation?" Helen asked.

"First, you're now an adult, so please call me Susan."

"Alright, Susan. What is your opinion?"

"What can you tell me about your situation? If I have a better understanding, I can give a better opinion."

Helen exhaled heavily.

"My husband, Steven, is a technical writer and was laid off in December. There aren't a lot of jobs here in the Blacksburg area calling for his skills. I'm substitute teaching for the rest of this school year for someone who is on maternity leave, but there are no promises for the summer or beyond. My two children, Peter and Daphne, are soon to be 8 and 5 years old. We're stuck in a mediocre two-bedroom apartment, barely making the ends meet.

"My parents died this past year, and my brothers both passed away leaving me as the sole inheritor of their estate. The attorney who was handling the estate went incommunicado in November, and the whole thing is a huge mess." Softly, almost to herself, Helen said, "I wish we had never left Middleburg."

"Is that enough for you, Susan?"

"It helps, but I have a few questions. First, do you wish to occupy your parents' home?"

"As much as it was home, I could not bear to live with the memories of my brothers and our childhoods in that place. I've been gone from there for the last 15 years, and while the town may still feel like home, that house would not."

"So, you will consider selling it?" Susan probed.

"Yes, absolutely."

"Okay. Second, are you serious about wishing you had never left this town?"

"There's very little keeping us here. Peter has a couple of friends, but they're not that close. Yes, if the circumstances allow it, I would happily move my family back to Middleburg," Helen decided. Steve had come up and was sitting beside her, and nodded his affirmation to her declaration.

Susan waved Gil to come near her and advised, "Helen, I'm putting my phone on speaker mode so my husband can hear both sides."

"I'll put mine on speaker so Steve can hear everything, too."

"Here's a what-if scenario for you, Helen. What if I could arrange for your parents' house to sell for enough money to pay off the loan and fees, give you cash to move your family to Middleburg, and leave you enough to buy a nice house here?"

"But what about work for us?" Helen asked, and Steve nodded.

Susan pointed at her notes and Gil spoke up at this time.

"I know of at least three companies in town who would benefit from a good technical writer, either on staff or on contract. Good teachers usually are in high demand and short supply."

"It seems like a big dream, Susan," Helen said. "But it's far better than the nightmare we are currently living with. If we can get out from under the burden of the loan on my folks' property, I guess it's my property now, then we can make progress."

"Okay. So, what I need you to do is send me an email requesting me to act as your agent with the intent of selling your house on Millersville Road. That's the first step. I'll need you to FedEx me a set of keys. Could you please include a signed copy of your request for me to act as your agent? You do have a set of keys, right?"

"Yes, Susan, I do. I'll get copies made and send the package out in the next day or two." Then Helen's voice took on a shrewder tone. "So, Susan, how much do you think I could get for my house on Millersville Road?"

"Helen, I would rather not speculate at this time. I will say that Zillow is used by many to get a ballpark estimate of a property's value. But I need to caution you: if you're not willing to part with something, it becomes priceless or invaluable. If no one wishes to acquire something, it becomes worthless. Don't be greedy! This is a process involving many steps.

"In some ways, this could be an easy thing. We already have a party interested in the property. We just need to get you as much as we can without breaking their piggy bank."

"We'll look on Zillow after we have supper. Thank you for reaching out, Susan! Your involvement eases a huge worry for me," Helen confided. "Shall we talk again tomorrow?"

"That would be fine. Please don't delay supper for the children, though. Call me after everyone's eaten, okay?"

"Yes, Susan. Thank you!"

"Yes, thank you so much, Susan," Steve's voice was finally heard, then Helen disconnected the call.

= = =

"Just what are you playing at, Suzie Q?" Gil demanded once the call with the Waters was finished. Susan's maiden name was Quinlan, so 'Suzie Q' was Gil's pet name for his wife.

"Gil, honey, why do people feed the birds and the squirrels and the rest of the wildlife? Give up? It's their chance to be the hands of God, providing for God's creatures. That's how this is for me. You do need a good technical writer on your staff, don't you?"

"Well, technical writer slash proposal writer, yes."

"Good. Perhaps I've found one for you. One that doesn't live in town but wishes to. Even though it's been nearly 20 years, I felt some residual parental responsibility for Helen during that call. I want things to go well for her."

She continued.

"So, try this on for size: we get Alan and Rose to buy Helen's house at a fair price; Helen pays off the loan, getting out from under that cloud; then she and Steve turn around and buy Alan's house, which would be perfect for them. And I get full commissions for both sales."

"If you can pull that off, then I guess we could go visit Sophia and her brood this summer," Gil surmised.

= = =

Helen and Steve powered up their antique desktop computer and waited for the operating system to load.

"There's another thing that we need to consider: new computers," Steve mentioned.

"Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, Steve. Let's see what this Zillow site tells us first." They had been trapped in their own misery and unable to even think of finding an adequate place to raise their children, so they had no idea how property values had risen in the past few years. Getting their browser to the Zillow site and property address, they were completely blown away at the estimated value of the property.

"Four hundred grand?" Steve declared. "You've got to be shitting me."

"Not where the kids can hear you, Steve! But remember what Susan said: 'Don't be greedy.' Still, just wow!"

Visions of dollar signs danced in their shell‑shocked heads.

Then Helen focused on a few neighborhoods in Middleburg, just to see what those property estimates were. In a few of the better areas, small lots with large houses were estimated between $500,000 and $750,000. Even in what she used to know as the poorer parts of town, the estimates were $150,000 to $300,000. And there were almost no houses for sale and none of the ones that were for sale had more than a quarter acre of land.

"Steve, honey, I trust Susan. She was nearly a second mother to me at times up through Middle School. Let's sleep on this and see what she comes back to us with. I'll send that email out right now and print off the two pages, one for her and one for Ms. Lawson, and get them all out in the mail tomorrow."

"I've got to go and do my Domino's driver shift, hon. I'll try not to wake you when I come in this time. I should be home by 11:30," Steve promised. "Maybe, just maybe, there's some light at the end of this very long, very dark tunnel we've been stuck in."

= = =

After supper, Maggie was having her Tuesday session with Joy via Zoom while Katie was up in her room addressing other homework needs. When Katie would stop to consider things, she was envious and grateful by turns. She envied Maggie for being able to skip out on her last semester of high school. She also envied Maggie having David, but that was largely due to the circumstances that brought Rose into Alan's life, so Katie couldn't be too upset. She and all the other girls in the church had their chance, but David didn't appear very interested in girls before Maggie came into the picture.

Katie was also grateful, both for Maggie's help with Trigonometry and ACT preparations and, most importantly, for Momma and Poppa opening their hearts, their arms, and their doors to encompass her. Their love and affection just seemed to permeate everything in the house. Sighing contentedly, she returned to her school work.