Synchronicity for Six Pt. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sometimes you are simply too clever for your own good, young lady. All right. I had to dress somewhat alluringly for a meeting I had today with the Board of Directors. He saw my outfit before I could get out the door, and he was ... shall we say, 'disquieted'?" Rose paused for a few seconds, then continued with, "I may have promised him congress with my corpus this evening. So, he's just 'priming the pump', so to speak."

"Given that Sunday is Valentine's Day, I'm surprised he could even find some roses to give to you," Maggie wondered aloud. "Anyway, we got the front bedroom tidied up for Jules and Tom and my crucial stuff moved into the room with Katie, so we're set to go on that. Where is the extra leaf for the dining table stored?"

Rose directed the girls and soon the table was set with the bouquet of roses standing proudly in the center.

= = =

Once they were settled in and rolling for Middleburg, Julie began the discussion they had been postponing for most of the day.

"Tom, I'd like to help you be prepared for the discussions you'll need to have while we're back at your home," she began, and Tom nodded his acceptance of her offer.

"How would you say you behaved last night?" she asked.

"Like a child," he mumbled, looking straight ahead and not daring to look at her directly.

"Are you going to tell them about breaking your mother's mirror?"

"Wasn't planning on it."

"Why did you explode on my mom like that? I don't think she's done anything to deserve that. Now, hold on a moment," she forestalled his rebuttal. "All she's done is follow the lead that you and I set, coming to your house for a meal and an overnight with people she'd never met before. She connected with your dad on a level neither of us anticipated or even hoped.

"How would you say your dad's attitude has changed since meeting her?"

Tom thought on that for a mile then answered, "Night and day. He was struggling so much with Mom's passing and David's and my absence. Now he's much more contented. He smiles so much more."

"Right."

"But you just don't seem to get it, Jules. That house is the only home I ever remember. I get such a feeling of warmth and love when I come through the front door."

"Okay. I will grant the atmosphere of that house is welcoming. I've always felt welcomed there. But what gives a place its ambiance, its atmosphere of warmth and love, Tom?" She paused, then continued. "It's the people inside. It's not the things. It's not the ghosts of the previous residents.

"Let me turn this on its side for a second. Where were you planning to live once you graduate and start your job with Timmons, Walton, and Associates?" she inquired.

"I guess I'd need an apartment near wherever they wanted me to work," he responded.

"And that would become your home, right? You weren't planning on boomeranging back to that house in Middleburg, were you?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Right. So, you were pretty much moved out of that house and about to start the journey of the rest of your life, hopefully with me beside you."

"There's nowhere else I want you to be, Jules." He extended his right hand and she clasped it in her left one.

"I love you, Tom, with everything that I am." Julie allowed another mile to pass beneath their wheels before speaking again.

"Where would I stay over the summer?" she probed.

"Probably at home, with ..." and his voice trailed off.

"With Mom, Dad, Maggie, and Katie. Right. But there's no more room there. Maybe I could come live with you." Tom brightened at that thought. She then continued. "But I would be moving in and moving right back out a few months later once my student teaching assignment comes through."

The mention of Katie living in David's room had set Tom's teeth on edge once more. He went silent for a few miles, just thinking.

"All right, my jewel. What do you know about this new house they're considering?" he asked.

"I didn't have a lot of time to talk after you stormed off and then shattered that mirror. What I know is this: they have only looked at it from the outside. Supposedly it has five bedrooms and three bathrooms, plus a wraparound porch. There's a detached garage with stairs leading up to space on the second level of the garage, perhaps an apartment. There's a little bit of land and it has a grove of trees and a pond."

"Wow, trees and a pond. I know where Dad would be spending a lot of his time then, out fishing in the pond if there are any fish in it."

"But think of it, Tom. What if there is an apartment above the garage? We wouldn't have to be cheek‑by‑jowl with the rest of the family. We could make as much noise as we wanted to." Julie's imagination was firing on all cylinders.

"That's plenty of room for the seven of us. Mom and Dad get a bedroom; David and Maggie get one; Katie gets one, so that's three." Tom's jaw clenched for a second at Katie's name once again. "Even if there is no space above the garage, there would be a room for us to share one, and still there would be a spare one," Julie reasoned.

Realizing that further resistance to the idea was futile, he dipped his head slightly and asked, "What else should we discuss?"

"Let's prepare your responses to your dad's expected questions, shall we? First up, what were you thinking when you shouted at my mom?"

"Wow, so much for just easing into this with a softball question." He grinned at her. "Give me a minute here, Jules." He formulated his considered response and then began.

"I've already told you how that is the only house I can recall living in. There is my short lifetime's worth of memories that get triggered in certain places. I'm worried that if I don't experience those triggers, the memories won't remain.

"About Phideaux: We buried his ashes in a box behind the garage. There is no real need to do anything more. He enriched my life with his life and his love. I'm hopefully a better human for having cared for him. But let him remain where he is.

"Finally, about your mom erasing traces of mine. Yeah, I was completely out of line with that accusation. Maybe if she hadn't jumped into the conversation the way she did. If Dad would have explained, it might have been better received. Nevertheless, I was wrong to shout at her."

"You know you're going to have to apologize to her."

"Yeah, I'm going to be eating a lot of crow this weekend, that's for certain. Hope it tastes like chicken."

They went over how he would respond to other expected questions as they continued their trip back to Middleburg.

= = =

Tom and Julie arrived around 6:45, and Julie bolted for the half bath, muttering something about 'keeping the damned left door closed'. Tom brought in their bags and set them at the bottom of the stairs. He thought about taking them up, but he wasn't sure where they would be sleeping.

"Come on, Tom! We're waiting on you," came Maggie's voice from the dining room. "We're hungry and we've been holding supper for you and Jules."

Julie emerged from the powder room right in front of Tom, so they entered the dining space together. They took their customary seats (Tom next to Alan and Julie next to Rose) and everyone clasped hands for the blessing. The baked chicken, rice, and vegetables soon had everyone quiet as mouths were happily being filled.

They were sitting there, trying to decide if they wanted any ice cream for dessert, when Rose's phone rang. The girls' chatter ceased as every eye turned toward Rose. "It's Susan," she informed them.

"Hello, Susan! Please give us some good news," Rose began, then interrupted Susan after a few syllables. "Susan, everyone's here at the table. We had a late supper while we waited for Tom and Julie to come in. Let me put you on speaker and we will all hear your news at the same time." She placed the phone near the roses and activated the speaker. "Go ahead, please, Susan."

"First of all, I need to apologize to you and everyone present. Gil came home at lunch and whisked me away for an afternoon at a high-end vineyard about an hour away. The envelope from FedEx had not yet arrived and, honestly, I completely forgot about it coming. We got back about 30 minutes ago, but the envelope had been placed between the storm door and the front door we hardly ever use. Gil mentioned that he left Alan in charge today, and that reminded me that I was expecting something from Helen. So, long story short, Helen did send me the necessary paperwork as well as a set of keys to all of the buildings on the property."

"So, Rose, Alan, are we still on for a tour of the place tomorrow?" Susan inquired.

"Absolutely!" "Oh, hell yes!" "Not tomorrow!" That last came from Maggie's mouth.

"Oh?" Susan asked, having forgotten that Rose had requested the Sunday tour.

"Katie and I have to work at Johnson's Jewelers tomorrow. We have some very big sales going on. Mr. Larsen should bring you down to see what we have like Mr. Henderson did with Mrs. Henderson."

Susan laughed and responded, "I think that was why he took me out this afternoon. He probably got off a lot cheaper that way. Very well, Sunday after church and lunch, then?"

Rose confirmed the day and time for all of them and thanked Susan for calling.

"Who's up for ice cream?" Tom asked. He still felt uncomfortable given Thursday's histrionics and wasn't willing to leave too big of an opening for someone to call him to task. Julie recognized his diversion for what it was, and gently squeezed his hand. In the end, it was just the four younger people who opted for the frozen treat. Rose moved her flowers to the kitchen table while Alan helped clear and put away the leftovers, not that there were many remaining.

"Rose?" Alan asked, quietly.

She turned from the sink to find his face very close to hers so they could talk at a low volume.

"I'm sorry about getting jealous this morning. I don't believe I had any cause, but I was worried when I saw how you were dressed."

"Alan, it's all right. I was taking the steps Mary had advised me were, unfortunately, necessary for me to secure AgCU Board approval for us to purchase Helen's property. I did achieve that objective, by the way," Rose explained. "In a curious coincidence, I toyed with my engagement ring for most of my meeting time with Don and Mike. It's curious, because that's what Maggie and David do with their rings, or so she tells me."

"Like daughter, like mother?" Alan was gently smiling now. "Do I want to know more about your meeting with Don and Mike?"

"Probably not, but I'll tell you anyways. Mary was in the room the whole time. They could see the lace of my bra and occasionally the tops of my stockings. That was all."

"That was quite enough, I'm sure. You know how you enflame me, Rose." He nuzzled her neck below her ear, and she squirmed slightly. He already knew she was bare beneath the skirt, and her swaying breasts reinforced the notion that they were unrestrained as well. She dropped her hand to brush the front of his slacks, then gently grasped the handle that nature was providing.

"Come to bed now, Alan. I have a promise from this morning to keep." After checking that everything aside from the dessert bowls in use had been put away, they proceeded hand in hand to the front of the house. The children all watched with rapt attention and a little embarrassment on Katie's part. Suddenly, Rose stopped them and placed a finger across Alan's lips, indicating she wished for his silence as they listened.

"Now THAT'S how a loving couple should look on a Friday night," Maggie commented, and Julie nodded her approval. Turning her attention back to her sister, Maggie asked, "So, why are we unexpectedly being graced with your presence this weekend?" Tom looked down into his now empty bowl, hoping to find some last trace of chocolate sauce. Julie knew he wouldn't volunteer much, if anything, so she answered her sister's question.

"Mom and Alan video conferenced us last night because we had not communicated since the last time we were here." At Maggie's look of surprise, Julie continued. "You two must have been elsewhere. They related that the family has now expanded to include Katie here. And that revelation led to the announcement of their plans to get a new house. So, given that we didn't have anything due early in the coming week, we decided to come visit and talk about this face‑to‑face. And, maybe see this house they are considering."

Rose nodded to Alan and they proceeded up the stairs to their bedroom. Maggie and Katie accepted Julie's explanation at face value. Katie gathered up the bowls and spoons and quickly got the dishwasher loaded and running. While she was addressing this little chore, Tom leaned over to Maggie.

"So, what's with Larry's little sister now living here? Doesn't she have a home with parents and stuff?" Tom had obviously forgotten much of what Rose had told him the previous night, and he and Julie had not discussed this during their trip from school.

Maggie was quickly becoming angry with Tom, and her voice did not hide that fact. "She's Larry's cousin, Tom, and she's not anybody's little anything. She has been lied to her whole life by everyone she trusted, her 'family'." Maggie made air quotes with her fingers around the word "family". "Since she turned 18 back in September, she has felt ignored by those she believed were her parents. It has been quite a traumatic two weeks for her and us. Despite all that, she's so sweet, kind, and wonderful. I can't believe you are behaving this way," she snarled. She sat back in her chair with her arms crossed and glaring daggers at her sister's boyfriend. She continued, "I'm sure that Momma and Poppa will want to discuss Katie's inclusion into our family, so I'd advise you to hold off on making judgments."

Julie was getting very well practiced at sitting with her mouth open in surprise. Tom leaned back in his surprise at Maggie's vehemence and vitriol. His eyes widened as he saw Maggie's complete belief in her words. He was beginning to realize that he had stepped in a pile of something once again.

Maggie stood abruptly, tossed her napkin on the table, and headed for the stairs. Katie emerged at just the right time, and Maggie grabbed her hand, pulling her down the hall and up the stairs, despite Katie's protests. "Come on, Kat. We've got to help you study for that test next month."

Julie looked at Tom with sadness showing on her face.

"What is it with you and Katie?" she asked.

"What do you mean, Jules?"

"Your words and your intonation seem to be constantly degrading her. 'Larry's little sister'. 'Doesn't she have a home with parents and stuff?'. From what I've heard, she does have a home now; this one. As far as parents go, I can't say, but it sounds like who you thought were her parents really aren't."

Tom sat back in his chair, rather nonplussed. Julie let go of his hand, stood, and headed for the stairs, leaving him alone with his thoughts.

'Okay,' he thought. 'I have to stop being a dick about Katie being here. It's understandable for Dad to accept her into the household. He is much kinder towards non-family than I tend to be. And Maggie sure seems ferocious in defending her.' Chewing his bottom lip, he stood and made sure all the chairs were pushed in. It was only 7:30, but everyone else in the house was upstairs. He didn't feel like watching a movie; that wasn't why he came home this weekend. But he did slip into the media room, close the doors, and drag out his phone to talk with David.

"Hey, Tom!" David answered on the second ring. "What's going on there on the big campus?"

"Jules and I came home for the weekend, Dave. Did you know about Dad looking to sell this place and buy a larger house?"

"Yeah. I went out to see the place last weekend with them while Maggie and Katie were at work. You should see the backyard! Why is it that they only do this sort of thing once we're no longer there to enjoy it?" David whined.

"And what about Katie O'Shea?" Tom pressed.

"Um, yeah. What do you know about her situation?"

"Not a whole lot beyond the fact that she's in your old bedroom and has moved out of her folks' place. Do you know more that you can tell me?"

David related how he had been the go-between for Larry's revelation and everybody else. David also told Tom everything Larry had said and everything David had observed. Tom was starting to regret how he had been thinking about Katie.

"It's not like I'm using that space anymore, bro. When I'm home, I'm sharing the bed with Maggie. Katie has my full permission to turn that space into her own, for however long she has to be in it."

"But what about this summer when you're home from school? What are you going to do then?" Tom was puzzled at David's acceptance of these pending changes.

"I figure by then we'll all be in the bigger house and it won't matter," David answered. His calmness was starting to get under Tom's skin.

"But what about Mom's memories here in this house?" Tom's voice took on a different tone. "What about Phideaux?" Tom was trying to get David spun up, but David wasn't playing along.

"What about Phideaux? His ashes are quite safe in the oak box where it's buried. He was a great dog. Makes me want to have one when I get a more permanent place." Tom was starting to get agitated now.

"But what about Mom's memories?"

"Do you mean my memories of our mother in that house?"

"YES! Those memories." Tom was practically shouting now.

"Well, brother-mine, they are my memories just as your memories are yours. Does it really matter where we live?"

"Arrgh! You're impossible!"

David smirked, not that Tom could see it. "I think, Tom, that you're a little wrapped around the axle on this. See if this helps any. You're about to start your professional life once you graduate in May, right? Are you going to keep living with Dad and Rose, or are you getting your own place?"

"My own place," Tom answered in a small voice.

"So, why should it matter where Dad and Rose live? They're looking ahead, planning on making a space for themselves as a couple. Planning to have room when you and Julie come home with your children, or Maggie and I coming with ours. That space was Mom and Dad's place, and it was perfect for them. But Mom's gone and Rose shouldn't have to contend with bumping into Mom's ghost every time she turns around. Just let it go, Tom. Let Dad and Momma have their own special place, okay?"

David's placid tone and supportive acceptance finally got a toehold in Tom's brain. Tom bowed his head in acceptance of something he had no hope of changing. David made entirely too much sense, which was unexpected from his less-than-logical little brother.

"Okay. I can see your point, Davey. I guess I should go make amends," Tom admitted.

"Amends? How so?"

"I accused Rose of trying to wipe my memories of Mom here."

"Dude, that was seriously uncool!"

"Yeah, I know. I also broke Mom's free‑standing mirror in a fit," Tom confessed.

"The tall oval one in the oak frame?" David was surprised.

"Yeah." Tom's flat voice communicated all of his sorrow and regret. At least, that's what David heard.

"So, do I need to come home?" David inquired.

"You might want to. Mrs. Larsen got some keys via FedEx today and they're gonna go look at the inside of the place on Sunday."

"Dude!" David blurted, excitedly. "Don't tell Maggie I'm coming. I wanna see this place!"

"She and Katie are working tomorrow, so it will be a nice surprise for her when you show up. I guess Jules and I can camp out in the living room for a night."

"Don't do that, Tom. You and Jules deserve the big bed. Magpie and I will take our turn in the living room," David offered. "I mean it. We'll take our turn and you and Jules can enjoy your privacy."