Synchronicity for Six Pt. 14

Story Info
Continuing the Harrison/Lawson story; a Tuesday from hell?
6.9k words
4.76
1.9k
6
6

Part 14 of the 14 part series

Updated 08/07/2023
Created 02/06/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: This is a story of the romantic love of three couples. There is very little explicit sex in it, so if that is what you're seeking, look elsewhere on Literotica.

This tale immediately follows the events in 'Spirits in the Material World'. No effort will be made to catch the reader up with the characters or their situations. The prequel to 'Spirits', 'Every Thing She Does is Magic', provides some additional background on some of the characters but is not necessary to understand and, hopefully, enjoy 'Synchronicity for Six'.

My gracious thanks to my volunteer editors for their efforts to polish this much brighter.

Part 14

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

"So, Martha, how has your visit gone so far?" Maeve inquired as she gracefully passed the delicate Wedgwood China cup and saucer to their guest.

"Very well, thank you." With a nod towards Susan, Martha continued: "Viewing the house that Rose and Alan are buying was very nice. Yesterday, I had a very nice time out shopping with Maggie. My newest granddaughter, Katie, is so open, loving, and welcoming. The way Rose and Alan have opened their home and lives to include her has been eye‑opening. Julia is coming home from school for the weekend, as are Tom and David. I'm looking forward to meeting these young men in person. The only downside has been that I haven't had much one‑on‑one time with Rose."

"I'm sorry you have that disappointment, Martha," Maeve commented. Martha was looking at Maeve and did not see Rose roll her eyes briefly. "So, tell us, what does your husband do?"

"He's the Vice President of something or other of the company that Alan used to work for, although in the corporate offices up in Chicago, not here in Middleburg. He's retiring on Friday and is coming here for the week following."

"And how do you feel about that?" Mary inquired.

"About his job, that he's retiring, or that he's coming here?"

"About any of it."

"Honestly, I'm a little conflicted. I'm grateful that he's been a steady provider all these years. On one hand, I miss him, and on the other hand, I'm not sure how I'll deal with him underfoot every day. I'm glad he will get to meet all the Harrison men in person, get to know Katie, and experience first‑hand this loving family that Rose is assembling."

Maeve, Mary, and Susan all nodded their agreement, then Martha continued her monopoly of the dialogue.

"Elliot and I haven't talked much about our lives after he retires, so I don't know what he is thinking. I do know he would like to go somewhere warmer, at least for the winter months. It would be difficult to leave old friends behind, but they're beginning to scatter as well."

"I'm sure, Mother, that you could quickly make new friends wherever you and Daddy decide to settle, whether it's a permanent move or simply having a winter home somewhere warmer," Rose supplied.

After a brief lull in which they all enjoyed Mary's cinnamon and cream cheese coffee cake, Susan restarted the discussion.

"You said your husband's coming to town this weekend?"

"Yes, he should be arriving Friday evening around 5:00 pm, barring any delays."

"That'll probably be about the time Julie and the boys roll in from school as well," Rose provided.

Mary was oblivious to Rose's earlier eye‑rolling at her mother's words and had mostly stayed silent. At Rose's words, she brightened up and clapped her hands excitedly.

"Why don't I fill in for you on Friday afternoon, Rose? I've been missing the daily flow since I stepped back in January. That would give you and Martha some one‑on‑one time before your father arrives. That way you could both be at the airport to meet him!"

"I don't know, Mary. I'll have to check my calendar for any existing meetings. Let me get back to you this afternoon, okay?" Rose temporized. She knew full well that she had nothing scheduled for Friday afternoon. She just disliked how the universe was conspiring to put her and her mother together for an afternoon. She could take her mother in small doses, but this week was already becoming a trial.

Maeve looked at Rose slyly and knew exactly what the issue was. She could empathize with Rose but she wasn't about to get involved in family drama.

"Oh, dear, look at the time!" Maeve exclaimed as her mantle clock chimed 8:30.

"We have to get going, Mother," Rose stated as she rose from her seat.

"I'd be happy to take Martha back to her car at your house," Susan volunteered. "It's no trouble at all, and I'd like to continue this pleasant discussion with her."

"Mother? Are you okay with staying and catching a ride back with Susan?" Rose inquired, hoping against hope that her mother wouldn't stay.

"Absolutely, Rosalie. Go ahead. I'm certain you've got work to do. It can't be easy running the credit union, and I'm enjoying our conversation here this morning."

With a quick kiss on Martha's cheek and a quick word of thanks and a head bob to Susan, Rose left for the safety of her office.

"So, Martha," Susan began once Rose had departed, "How has your visit really been?"

"Anything I say here stays here, right?" Once Martha received nods from the other three, she continued. "She is hopelessly in love with Alan, and he with her. She's nowhere near where she should be in planning her wedding to him, even if they are going to be doing it in their backyard by the pond.

"And yet, I get the sense of irritation from her at all the help I'm trying to provide. She eloped with Ron, her ex-husband, to Las Vegas, and look where that got her. If she'd done it right in the first place, either he'd have split long before they reached the altar or they'd have had a sense of commitment and obligation to each other that could have kept them together."

"Whoa, now, dear," Maeve interjected. "Just hold your horses. Alan Harrison is perfect for her, and she for him, period. We've known Alan for many years now and there's no better man for Rose. There's nothing hidden about him; what you see is what you get. It has been a textbook case of love‑at‑first‑sight with them since they met at Thanksgiving. It doesn't matter if they get married in their backyard or downtown in the courthouse before a judge or in front of 500 guests in a large cathedral. It's not the 'where' that's important; it's the 'who'."

Martha sat back, silent and mildly chastised.

Maeve continued: "Listen, I get it. She and Ron eloped and you did not get your chance to be the 'Mother of the Bride'. This is a partial redo for you. Just please bear in mind that this will be her day, and even if she's happy going barefoot in her backyard, be happy for her."

Martha was surprised at Maeve's words and her face went ashen. "Going barefoot?"

"I wouldn't put it past her," Maeve teased.

"Where does she get this willfulness?" Martha pondered aloud, "She used to be such a compliant child."

"I'd say that living on her own and having to raise the two girls forced her to adapt and do whatever was needful, and she did it all by herself. That can change a person."

Martha flushed slightly, knowing that she had not been there for her daughter, holding a grudge about Ron Lawson. How much had Rose confided in Maeve about their relationship?

Maeve continued: "She's still your daughter, but she's not your little girl any longer. She's a mature, loving, self‑assured mother, and quite capable of becoming Mama Bear if someone crosses her girls. In Alan, she's getting someone who cares more about her happiness than his own. You can't stuff the genie back into the bottle if it's not willing to go. I hope this week together helps you to get to know the whole Harrison family."

Maeve's words penetrated Martha's awareness, and when Martha looked around, she saw Maeve's and Mary's slightly disapproving countenances. Only Susan seemed unaffected by the shift in the group's dynamics. Martha dropped her head to focus on the small plate's contents and said nothing more until she requested Susan take her back to Alan's house.

It was mid‑morning when Susan dropped Martha off. Martha suddenly realized that she had the whole day, until supper time, before her. Everyone she had come to visit was otherwise occupied. She had not considered this when she made her plans to come for the week. If Elliot were not coming in on Friday, she'd have taken a flight back home. Martha returned to her hotel but sat in the lounge so she would not be in the housekeepers' way. She had the unfortunate luxury of having nowhere to go and all day to get there. She had only her thoughts to keep her company, and they weren't the best of company.

= = =

Rose was surprised when Mary and Maeve walked into her office right before lunch. She could tell they were on a mission and gave them a questioning look. Both older ladies nodded and gestured toward the door. They headed for a nearby Subway and chose an out‑of‑the‑way booth so they could eat and talk undisturbed by others.

Speaking quietly, Mary began with, "I'm sorry, dear, but we believe you need to have an honest discussion with your mother before your father arrives. There's so much tension between you two that we all picked up on it this morning."

Maeve added supportively, "You need to resolve your issues with your mother as best you can. Don't let this persist and hurt your wedding, your marriage, and your expanded family."

"We are here for you," Mary promised.

Rose worried at her bottom lip at her friends' words. She opened her mouth, but no words would come out. Maeve smiled and Mary held up her hand to forestall Rose from saying anything else.

"You know we're right, Rose. Just try to get some time alone with her and calmly discuss your feelings and sentiments. Not any sort of big blow‑out, knock‑down, drag‑out fight. But you do need to talk things through, and the sooner the better. Although, it will probably take several such discussions." It was Maeve's turn to emulate a bobblehead while Mary was talking.

Rose knew when a battle was unwinnable, and the advice from her friends was just that.

"Yeah, all right. I hear you," she confessed. "How do you suggest I go about this?"

"Call her before you head for home, ask her to meet you there, and invite her to sit in the kitchen while you're making supper. You are making supper, right?"

"Of course. Alan can cook some things, but we all eat much better if I do it."

"What are you having, out of curiosity?" Maeve inquired.

"I was thinking pot roast with potatoes, celery, and carrots."

"That sounds yummy. When should we arrive for supper?" Mary couldn't keep the smile from her face as she teased her friend. All three ladies snorted at the joke. At least Rose hoped it was a joke.

"Seriously," Mary continued, "just ask your mom to come and talk with you while you prepare supper. I'm sure Alan and the girls could keep busy elsewhere to give you two time and room to talk."

= = =

Alan spent his lunchtime wading through the Automated Voice Response system, trying to speak to a human. He was trying to get the utility company to start a new account for him at the Millersville Road property. He kept looping around in circles and ultimately having his call dropped after so many minutes of mind‑numbing Muzak. "Whoever came up with the idea of turning perfectly good Beatles' tunes into this instrumental dross should be shot," he thought. His patience and lunchtime were completely gone after the second disconnect. "Arrgh!" he exclaimed as he placed the receiver in its cradle not‑so‑gently.

"Gil, I need to take off an hour early today to get the utilities turned on in my name," he explained, leaning wearily against Gil's door frame. "I guess I have to go see them in person because their AVR system is useless."

Gil gave a little smile of sympathy and nodded his approval. "Sure, leave at 4:00, Alan."

"Thanks, Gil. This won't happen again," Alan tried to promise.

"Don't make promises you can't keep," Gil responded with a bigger smile then returned his focus to the paperwork in front of him, dismissing Alan.

= = =

When Katie got home from school, she immediately completed her homework assignments. It seemed to her that the burden of homework was easing as she approached the end of her "sentence" in high school. Eased or not, she had it knocked out when Maggie came in the front door.

"Katie?" she called.

"Up here, in my room."

Maggie sedately mounted the stairs, dressed as she was in her work clothes. She stuck her head in Katie's doorway and looked inquisitively at the array of books and notebooks on Katie's bed.

"I just finished up," Katie answered the unspoken question.

"Come keep me company while I change out of this outfit," Maggie beckoned. Katie was quickly on Maggie's heels. Katie perched on Maggie's bed while Maggie began removing her work clothes. Maggie kicked off the comfortable sandals that Maeve had given her when she began working at the jewelry store. She let out a sigh of relief as she wiggled her toes to encourage her blood flow to return to her feet.

"How was school?" Maggie asked as she shimmied out of her skirt. Katie was a bit surprised to see Maggie wearing stay up stockings rather than pantyhose. It took Katie a couple of seconds to respond.

"Fine, I guess. I think 'senioritis' is beginning to make the rounds, though."

"Please, please do what you can to keep it at bay, at least until after you score well on the ACT," Maggie encouraged.

"That's easy for you to say," Katie snarked back, causing a concerned Maggie to pause while unbuttoning her blouse.

Giving her 'sister' a quizzical look, Maggie frowned. She wished David was here. He was so good at reading people and getting them to talk about what was on their mind. Deciding to plow ahead, Maggie turned and sat next to Katie.

"What's the matter, Kat? You seem all out of sorts. C'mon, tell your 'big sister'," and Maggie cracked a smile at her tease, "What's really bothering you."

Katie exhaled mightily, then nodded.

"Mags, it's Momma and Grandma. There just seems to be so much tension between them. It's leaking out everywhere."

"That's nothing new, Kat, so I'm somewhat used to it. I don't know the entire history, but I know it has nothing to do with you or our new family. For as long as I can remember, Grandma and Grandpa Reynolds have pretty much kept their distance from us. I'm a little surprised that Grandma came to visit, that Grandpa is coming to join her, and that Momma allowed it. They've never had an extended visit before. Maybe Jules knows something. Let's ask her this weekend when she's home."

Katie heard a car door closing, and she walked over to peer out the window. She could just make out Rose's car in the driveway. Deciding to ask Rose herself, she headed downstairs, leaving a slightly puzzled Maggie behind. Just as she reached the bottom of the stairs, Rose entered through the front door.

"Where's Grandma?" Katie asked.

"Your guess is as good as mine, dear."

"Can I talk with you for a moment, Momma?" Katie asked.

"Of course. In the living room?" Rose gestured to her right.

"How about the kitchen instead?" Katie countered.

"Okay. Let me get changed out of these work clothes first."

Katie was seated at the kitchen table talking with Maggie when Rose appeared in the doorway. Rose had changed into sweatpants and one of Alan's t-shirts. She was rather partial to the forest green one that advocated the merits of being in the "Old Goat Patrol"; not because of what was printed on the shirt but because she liked how the color contrasted so well with her hair.

"Okay, I'm here now. Let's get supper started, shall we? Magpie, would you be a darling and wash and peel the potatoes? Katie, can I ask you to cut the carrots and celery into bite‑sized pieces while we talk?" Not waiting for confirmation, Rose got the girls working on their tasks while she got the roast ready for the oven. It was already halfway done but it would be another two to two‑and‑a‑half hours until it was ready, so they'd eat around 7:30.

Alan entered from the garage and set down his briefcase by the door. Katie leaned back in her chair to smile at him.

"Hi, Poppa!" she called out.

"Hiya, Poppa!" Maggie echoed.

"Hello, dear," Rose called out, unseen. "I'm sorry but supper will be a little later than usual. You can't rush a good roast."

"Hello, my beautiful womenfolk. This is such a pleasure to come home to," Alan sighed. It wasn't too long ago that he would come home to a dark and empty house. "We seem to be congregating in the kitchen tonight," he observed. "Where's your mother, Rose?" he asked as he stepped into the kitchen. His eyes lit up at the sight of his fiancée in his t‑shirt.

"I honestly have no idea, Alan. I suspected that topic was going to come up soon, though."

"Okay. I seem to be a little overdressed at this moment, so I'll go up and change and be back soon." He crept up behind Rose, lifted her hair, and nibbled on her neck, making her dance around as he found her very sensitive spot.

"Get going!" Rose commanded. "You're slowing down supper!"

With a saucy grin on his face, Alan stepped up to Maggie to kiss her on the cheek. As he bent down, though, she gripped the back of his head and his chin and kissed his cheek instead; just as Katie planted her kiss on his other cheek. He hadn't seen it coming but wasn't blindsided by it, either.

"Thank you, girls. I love you very much!" he said as he jauntily left the kitchen and headed upstairs to change.

Once she heard him mounting the stairs, Rose turned to Katie.

"Now, what was it you wanted to discuss, Katie?" Rose prompted.

Katie took a deep breath and shared her concerns.

"Momma, I'm worried about what's going on between you and Grandma. I mean, I'm not the most sensitive one, emotionally, given how I've blocked stuff out in my life for so long, but I've noticed the tension that is spilling out all around you two onto us."

Rose's expression hardened, then immediately softened as she stepped over to Katie and pulled the girl into a hug. Rose kissed the top of Katie's head and murmured, "I'm so sorry about that, my loved one. How did we ever get this far without you in our lives? You're saying, 'Look! The emperor is wearing no clothes!' Mary and Maeve said pretty much the same thing to me earlier today.

"Look, I don't want my troubles with my parents to hurt your lives." Rose was about to say, "I don't want to influence your relationship with my parents," but caught herself before permitting the feline to escape the burlap.

"We don't know where my mother is at this moment, but let's text her and see when she plans to come over tonight." Rose got her phone and messaged her mother.

Martha had pulled into the driveway and was turning off the engine when her phone chirped with Rose's inquiring text message. Martha quickly replied, "I just pulled into your driveway," and sighed deeply. "At least Rose is expecting me," Martha thought.

Making sure the girls were focused on their tasks, Rose stepped to the front door. Martha had turned the car off but remained seated behind the wheel. Rose turned on the porch light and waved for her mother to come in. Leaving the interior door open, she stepped back once she saw her mother making her way from the car.

Alan stepped out of their bedroom and quietly shut the door when he saw Rose waiting at the bottom of the stairs facing the open front door. He just stood at the top of the stairs in the gathering darkness, watching and waiting.

Martha approached the storm door and opened it. She saw Rose standing back, waiting for her.

12