Take A Chance!

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
carvohi
carvohi
2,570 Followers

Tucker put his coffee cup down, "He was asking about you."

Arlene stopped scrambling for a second. She reached for a plate and slapped the not quite finished eggs on it. She reached over and grabbed two pieces of toast and a couple pats of butter. She turned and not too carefully slid the plate over to Mr. Tucker, "Here you go."

Mr. Tucker asked, "Want to know what everybody said."

Arlene's tongue had frozen inside her mouth, "Not really."

Tucker went on, "It was all about you and your boy there."

Arlene fidgeted with the spatula, "Sorry Mr. Tucker I don't have much time right now."

Tucker started scooping his eggs in his mouth, "OK, just asking."

Arlene went over to the big toaster and dropped four more pieces in. She knew she probably wouldn't need them, but it got her about as far away from Mr. Tucker as she could get."

Mr. Tucker finished his eggs, left a small tip and walked over to the cash register.

Arlene met him there.

Tucker handed her a five dollar bill; he smiled and nodded toward Little Cal, "He wanted to know about the boy. He was asking who the daddy was."

Arlene nervously handed him his change, "See you tomorrow Mr. Tucker."

He smiled again and left.

Arlene leaned against the counter and tried to reclaim her composure. She looked over at her little man, "You be a good boy Cal."

He looked up, "I will mommy."

There were still several young men in the diner. When they heard Mr. Tucker it started.

Granville Toomey was the first, "That boy's going to need a daddy." He stared Arlene, "Why don't you marry someone; give the boy a last name."

Arlene, face inscrutable, answered, "He has a last name."

Bobby Marshall chimed in, Bobby was just a year or two older than Arlene, he'd been married but his wife left him, "Need a husband? I'll marry you."

Arlene cracked two eggs for the next breakfast, "No thanks, I'm good."

Bobby snidely replied, "I'll bet you are."

Arlene never liked Bobby.

Just then Sam Madison walked in. Sam was in his thirties, and he'd known Cal and Arlene when they'd been running around together. He was also divorced and on the lookout for a new woman, "Leave her alone Bobby."

Bobby took his coffee and left.

There were a few more remarks, but Sam more or less shut it all down. Arlene wasn't happy about the remarks, but she was even less happy that Sam had been able to stop them. It made it seem like he was staking his territory. She'd been through this kind of crap for four years, but now with the diner she didn't want to lose any business over it. She looked over at Sam, "Thanks Mr. Madison. They don't mean anything, and even if they did I can handle it."

Sam knew when he'd been put in his place and he didn't like it. It was common knowledge around town Sam wanted to stake his claim on little Miss Arlene Brown, and considering his size and reputation there weren't many around to seriously challenge him. He quietly ate his fried eggs, dropped off a small tip, and just before he left he added, "You're going to have to decide something soon Arlene."

Arlene tried to make light of the remark, "I'll keep that in mind." Arlene was a little afraid of Big Sam Madison; he could make it hard on her if he decided to force the issue, and what with Cal back she sensed Big Sam might get a little touchy. She was pretty strong willed, but lately even her mom and dad had been after her to choose somebody. She knew one thing; she sure didn't want to choose Big Sam.

The rest of the morning went along pretty quietly. The big morning rush had dwindled to a few late arrivals and the usual retirees. Arlene would soon be able to put things back together, get her boy and head home.

Arlene had just finished cleaning the grill, the last thing she always did when she looked up and there he was.

Cal was standing next to her; he was behind the counter, "You never told me."

Arlene stood up from where she'd been leaning over wiping the bottom of the grill. She took her left hand and wiped away a few errant strands of hair, "Tell you what?"

Cal didn't back down. He nodded to the tyke on the floor, "He's mine."

Arlene walked toward him and got about as close as she dared, "No he's mine."

Cal stepped back slightly, "You know what I mean."

Arlene pointed to the other side of the counter. Cal moved. She looked at him, "No I don't; that's my boy. No one knows who his father is."

Cal was driven by some urge he couldn't explain. He leaned down and picked the little boy up. The boy started to squirm but stopped. Cal just held him for a second. One good look was all it took; he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt. He looked back at Arlene, "This is my boy."

Arlene was already hurriedly moving from behind the counter, arms held out to retrieve her son. Cal kept holding him, "Arlene, this is my son."

Arlene reached out and snatched Little Cal out of his arms, "This is my baby. You just get away."

Cal instinctively understood what was at play in Arlene's mind. He suddenly felt queasy inside. He felt like the rich man in that old book Silas Marner; the man who tried to steal the little girl away from the old man. The last thing he wanted to do was threaten her and her rightful paternity. Damn he looked at Arlene. He couldn't deny it another minute, not another second; he loved her more now than ever. He was trapped and he knew it; he was married to one and in love with another, married to the rich girl who had everything but in love with the girl who really needed him, "No I didn't mean that, not the way it sounded."

She had her boy, "I'm closing up in a minute. You can come back tomorrow. We'll be open the usual time."

Cal wanted to stay, at least for another minute or two, "Arlene we need to talk."

She wouldn't look at him, "No we don't."

"Arlene, please."

Arlene, with her baby on her hip used her free hand to point toward the door, "Out!"

Just then Sam Madison reappeared, "You got a problem Arlene?"

Cal saw Sam; he'd never liked him, there was something brutish about Sam Madison. He looked from Sam to Arlene; no that couldn't be, not with him! He gave her an appealing look, "Arlene, please, can I stop by tonight?"

She pointed to the door and yelled at both of them, "The two of you, out of here."

Cal and Sam both left the way they came in. As they stepped to the sidewalk Sam sneered at Cal, "You should never have come back."

Though Sam was a cool six inches taker, forty pounds heavier, and a man used to heavy work Cal still stood his ground, "Not if it means keeping you away from her."

Sam gave Cal a snarky grin, "Don't get in my way squirt. I plan on taking her over."

Cal just stood there. He'd been beaten up before; he wasn't worried about that, but he had no way he could make any real claim on her. He knew standing up to Sam Madison was a fool's errand, but he couldn't back down on this. Somebody had to fight to keep her out of his hands, "Sam you're bigger, stronger, probably faster, and certainly a better fighter, and I'm married with no legal claim on her, but Sam I'll fight you over this."

Sam just laughed and walked away.

Inside Arlene heard the interchange; it was heartening and disheartening. She couldn't stand the sight of Sam Madison. She was proud of Cal; he'd stood up to Sam Madison, and stood up to him over her. She knew if Sam had wanted to he could've scraped Cal's face all across the concrete sidewalk. She sure didn't want Cal to get hurt, but she wasn't sure what he thought he might be doing about her boy. She looked at the clock; it was nearly 1:00.

1:00 p.m. just outside Arlene's shop:

Susan was already there waiting on the parking lot. She'd just seen her husband in an argument with some big gorilla. She wondered why he wasn't at work and she was sure glad she saw him before he saw her. Then Devin walked up to the front door.

Devin spotted Susan right away. If he was ever going to marry someone it would never be her; she was just the wrong type of girl. Sure, Devin was a playful kind of guy; he'd slept with more than his share of girls while they in college. Susan had been a mainstay on his mattress off and on for four years, but she'd danced the horizontal tango with more guys than just him. They lived in a small world; he never wanted to have to walk into a bar somewhere and have some guy brag that he'd already had a taste of his wife. No Susan had been a lot of fun in college, and for right now, what with him unmarried and the girl he really wanted away someplace doing good deeds somewhere in South America she'd be a great fill in. He strode over toward her.

Susan walked toward Devin. Together they strode into Arlene's diner. With Devin on her arm she wondered what she ever saw in Cal. He was a really nice guy, and he'd be a good provider, but she'd been over all this in her mind before; Cal was just the wrong guy, in the wrong environment, he'd be the wrong kind of father for her kind of children, Cal was just wrong, wrong, an all-around big mistake. Well she'd hang around for a while; at least as long as it took to snag Devin, then she'd kiss her ever loving Cal goodbye. Damn, she should have listened to her father. She smiled at Devin, "You look good."

Devin pulled out a chair for Susan, "I've missed you Susan."

She reached out and took one of his hands, "I've been thinking about you a lot Devin."

He squeezed her hand, "You want to go someplace?"

"You have any place in mind?"

"There's a Motel Six not far from here."

"I'll follow you."

Together, him in his car, her in hers, they drove to the Motel Six, got a room, and slipped inside.

Arlene watched the little love scene, and felt sick to her stomach.

Much later that same afternoon.

Cal was all at odds with himself. He knew what he should do; he should set up an account for Arlene in case she needed money, then he should start a separate account for the boy, something for his future, maybe a college fund or something. He had to tell his wife Susan. She wouldn't like it, but if she loved him she'd see the fairness of it. Then he could get on with his life. He wondered how much Susan really loved him. She'd seemed so right down at College Park, but lately he wasn't so sure. He had this unsettled feeling that she was already half way out the door. Well he'd worry about Susan later. First he'd have to work things out with Arlene; that was something he didn't want to do.

He pulled into Arlene's parents drive for the second time that day. Arlene was most likely already home. He went up and knocked on the door. Arlene's dad answered, "Ah Cal, come on in."

Cal stepped inside, "Is Arlene around? I'd like to talk to her."

Her dad answered, "I'll go get her."

Shortly dad came out from the back of the house with Arlene in tow. She looked at Cal, "What do you want?"

He replied, "Can we talk?"

"What about," she asked?

His reply, "World peace?"

"Get out," was her response.

Cal got serious, "Come on Arlene; if I had known the baby was mine I'd have stayed. I would have manned up, married you, and taken on the responsibility of raising my kid."

She smirked, "Oh you have manned up. What like you'd have taken it on the chin, taken your medicine, and paid your dues."

"I didn't mean it that way. Look, come on..."

She cut him off, "No you come on. I got pregnant, I had my baby, and now I'm taking care of him. He and I are doing just fine."

Cal got flip, "Yeah and you've got guys like Sam Madison sniffing around your crotch every day. Arlene that scares me; Sam Madison, get real!"

Arlene knew she had him, well a little, she thought she'd play with him, "Sam's not so bad. He's got a good job. He's divorced, but he doesn't have any kids, a girl could do a lot worse."

Cal tensed up; what was he doing? He hadn't seen or talked to Arlene in years, now all of a sudden he was worried she'd go out and get hooked up with someone like Sam Madison, "Look you're little; he's big. He likes to hurt people. He used to hit his wife. Damn it Arlene I've been away for four years and even I know that. I could never allow you to marry a creep like that."

Arlene laughed, "You are an asshole. You've been gone for four years. You come back with a wife of your own, and you think you can tell me who I can and can't hook up with? Well Calvin McCabe I ought to get up and punch you right in the nose!" She got up, fists raised, and started for him.

Cal waited till she got close enough to where she could hit him. She took her first swing. He reached out and grabbed her arms and pulled her to the sofa. He got her, and hugged her real close as they fell back against the cushions.

At first she squirmed, she struggled, she tried to hit him. It was as though four years of frustration and anger was being released; she wanted too just pound the shit out of him.

Cal just held her really tight against his chest. He could smell her sweet aroma; he'd forgotten how small she was. Her short hair flipped around his face; it was soft and thick just like he remembered. She felt so warm, soft, and delicate. He thought of Susan; she never felt this way, oh she felt good, but never quite like this, like this was where he belonged. With Susan he always felt like something was being held back, suddenly he realized Arlene had stopped fighting; she was just all relaxed, pressing against him. It was like they were back in high school; four years' time seemed to have just evaporated.

He kissed the top of her head, her sweet precious head. Why hadn't he come back? Why had he stayed away all those years? He knew why; he was angry. He'd thought she'd been carrying some other man's child; it had been his child all along. Why hadn't she called him, why hadn't she said something, he knew the answer to that; her parents had explained it, she would never have let him give up his chance at college.

Arlene was quietly crying, "Cal I think you should go."

He knew she was right, "Can I see you tomorrow?"

She leaned back up, "You know where I'll be."

He got up. He wanted to kiss her, but decided not to, "See you at the diner in the morning."

She nodded.

As he stepped toward the door, he turned back, "No more Sam Madison, hear?"

She smiled, "Get out of here."

He stepped out the door, "Tomorrow."

She pushed him, "Tomorrow."

Cal got in his car and drove away.

Arlene's mom and dad were in the living room three second later. Mom asked, "What happened?"

Arlene looked at her mom then her dad, "I've got a job to do."

Dad asked, "What's that?"

Arlene answered, "I've got to break up a marriage."

At the Motel Six

Susan checked the clock. It was already 5:00 p.m. She rolled over on Devin, "Devin."

He opened one eye, "Yeah?"

She smiled and kissed his nose, "I have to get home."

He leaned up on one elbow, "When will I see you again?"

"I don't know yet. I'll call you."

He pulled over to the side of the bed, "Don't let it be too long."

Susan was already in the bathroom. She'd need a quick shower, and then she'd have to fix her clothes and make up, "Don't worry, it won't be long.

An hour or so later they'd both cleared the motel.

Time slowly crept on:

From that first afternoon at the Motel Six Susan and Devin continued to secretly meet. They worked out a pattern; they agreed to meet on Monday and Thursday afternoons. They'd make first contact at Arlene's Diner; then travel separately to the Motel Six where'd they'd secure a room and join up.

Since Susan didn't work and nearly all Calvin's business activities took him to his office or to points south and east of the motel there was little likelihood they'd be caught. So day piled upon day and week piled upon week and the two secret lovers continued their sordid little affair.

Meanwhile, as Cal saw it the good life was starting to fray.

During those first weeks when Susan, without my knowledge, was in the arms of her paramour I had my own issues. Honestly, had I known my wife was cheating on me I couldn't have done anything to prevent it. You see my employment world was sinking fast.

Let me back up a little. Arlene and I had graduated from high school in June of 2002. Little Cal had appeared in May 2003. I completed my four years of undergraduate school right on schedule got my B.A. in June 2006, and I was picked up by a major banking firm in Maryland almost immediately thereafter. Then Susan and I were married a few weeks later.

Throughout the summer, fall, and winter of 2006 the financial services industry was absolutely bullish. Susan and I agreed to buy a house in my old home town, and in the spring of 2007 we moved in. The economy was chugging along so well, and everybody was so optimistic I decided to go ahead and get a flexible mortgage. I knew my salary and the value of the house would far outstrip any increases in mortgage rates. We started shopping churches and attending all the local activities, one of which had been the ham and oyster dinner at the town fire-hall so successfully planned and supervised by my old girlfriend Arlene.

The spring and summer of 2007 were still profitable for banking, housing, and speculation, but somewhere around Halloween of 2007 I sensed and then started to see a subtle, and then not so subtle, shift in activity. I guess being closer to the bottom of the food chain I may have seen it coming earlier than most, or maybe I was just more aware of the kinds of decisions being made and their impact on the economy. I cast back on what I'd learned and on what I'd heard; it looked like the Savings and Loan Crisis of 1987 and the Millennial Dot.Com Debacle rolled into one. For sure the closer I looked the more deeply I pried the more frightening the signs were. I knew it was coming; we were in for the 'Perfect Storm' the 'Mother of all Financial Calamities' and it was like nobody else could see it coming! Everyone everywhere was grossly overextended, and soon even the safest securities had begun to unravel.

There was only one solution as far as I could see it, and that was to work harder. But the harder I worked the worse things looked. I started to feel like the dog chasing his own tail I was a rodent trapped in a cage running from corner to corner. There was just no way out, and all that time I kept watching as Arlene kept leaning more and more toward picking someone to marry!

I honestly couldn't blame her. I hadn't been there, and now every day little Cal looked more and more like he needed a stronger father figure than Arlene's dad. Arlene needed a man. I knew I was that man, but I was trapped in a loveless marriage and in a job that was going nowhere but down. That wasn't the worst of it; that son-of-a-bitch Sam Madison was at her diner morning, noon, and afternoon. I tried to stop over her parents to see her and the little boy, but just as likely she was gone someplace with Sam or with some other man. I tell you that really tore my ass!

Oh for sure Arlene was nice to me. Every morning I stopped at her diner and got my bagel and coffee. She was just as polite as she could be, but it didn't take me long to realize she was polite to everyone. I wasn't getting special treatment; I was just getting good customer service. I hated it! I wanted more!

I thought my world finally went into the shitter in April 2008. I'd been up all God damned night trying to cobble a piece of economic shit together to keep a couple run down businesses from going under. Susan hadn't gotten in until 2:00 a.m., but shit, by then I knew she'd become a very busy bee. I washed up; got on my best suit for the presentation I'd been working on all night, and hauled my dead ass off to work. I stopped in at Arlene's for my morning coffee and bagel and that's when I saw the ring. I tried to put a good face on it, "Hey you got a new ring."

carvohi
carvohi
2,570 Followers