Tales from the Shack: Nobody

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Todd172
Todd172
4,187 Followers

"Here's a freebie." She reached out and turned a picture on that corner of her desk around. Four people standing in a line with their arms around each other, wearing Aloha shirts, flowered leis and laughing. The white-haired man had his arm draped across Donna's shoulders. "He goes by Pogo. Maybe, in a few years, if you play everything straight, I'll tell you where he lives. It'd serve him right."

There was a glint of wicked humor in her eyes.

Seeing his picture sent a flutter through my stomach. Something not entirely unpleasant. I pushed it away as best I could.

"Do I get to ask who we are now?"

"The CUMULOUS program, we're the guys in the basement." She nodded over to the guy at the door "We deliver karma. Bad guys doing bad things to bad people. He runs GREEN for me, it's the more presentable part of the program. I run the whole thing and directly oversee RED. It does the dirty work. That's you."

She meant it when she said "dirty work." Honey traps, badger games, blackmail, murders in back alleys. Whatever it took to win. The targets were human versions of cancer: terrorists, arms traders, human traffickers. Cancers that had to be found and removed.

Using disposable people to do it. People that went unmissed, unloved and unmourned. At least most of the time.

It'd take me a long while to fully understand how dirty it had to be sometimes, but somebody had to do it.

Or Nobody.

***

Post Production Notes:

This one has some unpleasant edges -- I really, really didn't want Tommy and Amber to die. But I couldn't save them. They were, to use an old Scottish term, "Fey." It's often translated as "doomed" but really it means "fated to die and knowing it." Tommy and Amber knew how it was all likely to end and accepted it, even as they wished it were different.

People can sneer at Tommy for loving a whore, or at Amber for loving a tweaker, but in the end, as screwed up as they were, at least they had each other, even if only on Sundays. Which makes them far luckier than nearly everyone else in the story.

I try not to judge Donna too harshly; she has a horrible job that she does to the best of her ability, and it certainly eats at her. She isn't there to save any of the people that she "recruits", and for most of them, they join of their own free will. Still, she tries, when she can.

Todd172
Todd172
4,187 Followers