Taming an Immortal Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Etienne could scent no lie and yet, he wasn't going to fall for that. It couldn't be that simple.

"It doesn't matter to me... Not anymore. My duties are to these lands first..."

The Pureblood suddenly stopped in his tracks, sheathing Muramasas as he looked down at him.

"I came here hopeful but it seems Father was right about one thing -Etienne Arceneaux can never love. That was why he gave you that sword."

Etienne refused to acknowledge that. What does this half-brother of his know anyway? He who gets to live a happy carefree life... Free to choose whom to love.

"And you the weaker one -why did he give you Muramasas?"

There was no answer to that, he knew. Montgomery Arceneaux did as he pleased; whatever the reason. Getting to his feet, Etienne looked across at his brother -saying the words that he would regret for the rest of his life.

"I have only one request," he whispered. "That you raise your nephew... as your own."

Etienne heard the soft exhale of disbelief.

"I know you think you're above everyone but that young woman? Her laughter is warmth and her heart -pure." He stepped closer, looking at Etienne with disgust in his eyes. "You discarded her and yet she bears no grudge. You don't deserve her love."

No, he didn't... that was true. But Etienne had enough.

"I have nothing more to say to you. Leave before I run out of patience."

His brother gave him one final look before disappearing in a flash, heading towards where he came from.

Etienne should have gone after him.

But instead, he turned back towards the cherry tree, his thoughts lost on the memory of long black locks, soft skin and that smile meant only for him.

***

Rose woke up in the middle of the night with a strange desire to eat raspberries. Holding a candle in her hand, she went through Lord Adam's kitchen like a cat hunting for mice. It was ridiculous how much she needed to eat those damn berries. Rose didn't even like them! They always made her cringe with their sourness and left red stains on her tongue.

In a few hours, the markets should be opened and if she was lucky, someone might sell berries -but...

She wanted them now.

Pacing the room, Rose tried to think if she had seen any bushes in the garden with berries. It was spring - there had to be berries everywhere!

"Oh! Of course!" She had planted the seeds herself, loving the bell-shaped flowers of the blueberries. They might not all bear fruits now but it was worth a try. She could just pop out and then back within half an hour.

Satisfied with her plan, Rose draped her coat over herself and stepped out into the cold night, grateful that there were no guards by the staff entrance.

She almost congratulated herself on making her exit unseen -Etienne would have scented her within seconds if this was back home.

"No! I need to stop thinking about him!" she chided herself, wrapping her coat tighter around her. Now where were those berries?

There! Giggling to herself, she crouched down and started to feel under the bush for the round and hard fruits. Grabbing a couple, she popped them straight into her mouth, revelling in the extreme sourness of the unripened fruit. How could something so terrible taste so good? Rose didn't care. She needed more. Patting around for more, she felt frustrated when her hand continuously reached for petals and leaves.

So focused in her search that she hadn't noticed the silent stranger landing behind her.

"Hello Rose."

At the familiar voice, Rose turned around slowly and caught sight of silver eyes and a long black ponytail.

"Anzer... what are you doing here?"

"To see you of course. You shouldn't be out here in the cold." His hands moved automatically to her shoulders, turning her towards the castle. "I got you your peaches."

At the sound of the sweet offering, Rose perked up, allowing the Noble to guide her back into the warmth.

"How did you know I was here?" she asked, the moment they entered through the kitchen.

"Miria came looking for me. She said you were feeling rather ill." He motioned for her to take a seat in one of the stools. "Wait here. I have something for you."

The Noble returned; a bowl of hot something was in his hands. Rose winced at the bitter smell and flared her eyes wide open when he brought it closer to her.

"No, that is revolting!"

"This will help, I promise." Anzer urged the liquid against her lips. "If you're good, I promise we'll have those peaches."

Rose didn't like bribery but her tummy didn't care at the moment. This poison was standing between it and the sweet drug of the fruit. Rose found herself sipping at the foul-smelling bitterness and forcing it down by holding her breath.

"What is that?!" Rose stuck her tongue out, seeing a coat of green over it.

"It's to help with the sickness," he assured her. "Now come. If you sit here any longer, I fear Miria might barge in and cut off my head."

But Rose didn't want to move yet. With a hand on his arm, she pulled him back into a sitting position. "I know who you are..."

"Of course you do my dear. I'd be upset if you forgot about me already."

"No... I mean I know. You are Lord Etienne's brother. Why didn't you say anything?"

Anzer smiled, patting her hand gently. "It is our father's wish that it remains that way. He hated my mother and I am not surprised if he hates me too."

"And yet you asked me to invite him to your house for dinner!" she exclaimed.

The Noble shrugged and in that moment, Rose could see the resemblance. An arrogant chin and turned up nose clearly ran in the family.

"Father only made me promise not to reach out to him. But if he were to find me on his own... well that, he did not forbid. Though I have to admit, I wasn't putting very much hope on that. Being slayed while I'm in my apron is not how I imagine my death to be."

"I suppose we are lucky then that he is not here," she replied, pursing her lips in disapproval. As an afterthought, she added, "Does Miria know?"

Anzer nodded. "Everyone in Cove Viridian knows. Lord Montgomery was not known for being quiet about his affections." He gave a small laugh. "It seems, that my brother had inherited that trait as well."

Rose felt her cheeks flushing but looked away. Etienne may have showered her with his affection but that past seemed like years ago.

When she felt him come close, Rose kept her gaze away even as he lifted her chin to face him.

"You carry his scent well Rose. In many ways, you remind me of my mother. She could not smell it of course, but she wore his mark like a medallion."

Perhaps it was the softness in his voice that spoke of loss or simply her own emotions taking over for Rose trailed her eyes back to his face and smiled.

Anzer pointed to her neck. "But, I must say that Etienne is selfish for claiming you like this... when he cannot promise you the same happiness that my mother had."

Rose knew it was true and yet she didn't want to hear it. Looking into the kind silvery eyes of the Noble before her, Rose felt herself smiling.

"Is Drake here with you?"

"That idiot son of mine? He's pining for you but fears long flight - well that and also because I've warned him that Purebloods eat seagulls as appetisers."

"Surely not!" But Rose was laughing. "But I'm glad you're here Anzer. Will you be staying?"

"Of course. I'm here to take care of you."

***

One week later...

"Rose, are you sure you will be fine here?" asked Lord Adam as he fixed the final piece to his ceremonial suit. "You know the invitation is extended to you as well now that you're the Southern princess."

"Lord Adam..."

"Father."

Rose let out a long sigh. Ever since he had adopted her as his own, Lord Adam had been most possessive over her wellbeing. Surely he could see that attending this crowning ceremony would cause her much grief?

"Father, perhaps you could simply send my regards and my well wishes to the Lord and Lady of the West."

Lord Adam looked at her disapprovingly but made no further comment, slipping his sword into the scabbard by his side. Turning to Miria and Anzer, he gave a curt nod before dropping a light kiss on her forehead.

Rose watched her adopted father clamber into the horse-drawn carriage for his journey Northwest, his kind eyes on hers as the door closed. She knew it had to be equally difficult for him to go as much as it was for her to stay.

But it was for the best.

She kept her eyes on his entourage until they were a speck in the horizon; the breath that she had been holding found its release slowly as she flicked a stray tear away.

"I can still bring you if you want," whispered Anzer from behind her. "After all, I didn't get an invitation either."

Rose smiled at his attempt at a joke but chose to keep her gaze out the window.

***

One a week till the crowning ceremony and the castle had been decorated in colours of the West -the royal red and yellow splashed across the gates and walls. Banners holding the Arceneaux crest also graced the corridors and never ending music filled the halls.

His family and the heads of the other Pureblood clans had begun to stream into the castle bit by bit over the past week, taking residence in the many spare rooms of his abode.

Etienne had never felt so sick.

"Etienne! You should look more lively. After all, it is not every day that you get crowned as Lord of the West!" chided his mother as she sashayed into his study to pry open his thick drawn curtains.

"Don't you have guests to entertain, mother?"

As she fussed over his long hair, Etienne flicked her hands away, standing up and walking towards his window.

"They are not the ones getting married. You are," she snarled, grabbing him backwards and into the chair. Taking fistful of his hair, she run a comb through it until she was satisfied with the tamed locks. "Your ceremonial attire is by the wardrobe. Try it on!"

"It'll fit," he replied, flicking his eyes lazily to the pure white uniform with gold Aiguillettes draped over the right shoulder. She had also added the strip of gold and red sash on his other shoulder to be worn around his waist.

"Zahara will be trying on her dress today too. I must say I'm impressed you didn't kill this one."

"She's family."

Elisa pursed her lips haughtily. "So is Ealdwin. Last I heard you tried to kill him."

Etienne kept silent, knowing that his mother intended to goad him into telling her what happened at Seurri. But he refused to waste his breath reminding her it wasn't her concern. Neither was his decision to wed Zahara.

Lifting his eyes to meet hers, he frowned. "Last I heard, you tried to marry him."

To his pleasure, his mother went rigid as she let go of his hair. After fussing a little more with his non-existent tangles, she gathered her skirts and left without a word.

Alone once more to his thoughts, Etienne drew the curtains close, shrouding the room in darkness. There was no need for light anymore where his mind wished to go. Closing his eyes, Etienne reached down along his mating bond and opened his psychic eye. Here, he would watch her, feel her, hear their heartbeats...

Today, like every other day, Rose was crying.

Etienne knew he was the cause of her tears and yet there was nothing he could, would do. Why hadn't she called for him? Didn't she know he would be there in a heartbeat? He had left her with the human Lord yes, but he had not denied this bond they shared; her mark on him was still visible and unhidden from those who dared to look.

It was only the child that was a concern to him; its existence must be hidden from his family at all cost. Etienne didn't know why he had even allowed the Halfling to live.

Perhaps it was his way of leaving Rose with something concrete of him.

But he knew that wasn't it.

Rose.

Her crying had stopped and in its place was a sour punch of emotions that tasted a bit like anxiety. His mate was trying her best to push him out, block her feelings and thoughts by slamming something painful down the mating bond.

Then he felt the kick.

Aengus!

He didn't know why he chose the name but perhaps it was suited for an intangible conscience that was so strong and vigorous. Etienne didn't even realise he had addressed the child directly until he felt another kick, this time softer.

Your behaviour is unbecoming.

Not a kick this time but a whole set of gibberish senses flooding through the bond. Etienne was almost unsure what to make of it when another wave of emotions came crashing through before the bond snapped shut suddenly.

"No, wait!"

But the bond was closed, for now. Had Rose sensed him or was that a deliberate act by the child?

Such insolence.

And yet, such strength! For something that was barely formed, his mind was definitely not human. Perhaps his half-brother had imprinted on the child as he had requested; the biofeedback allowing the child to grow and mature.

Etienne didn't know why but he suddenly got up, pushed the curtains apart and sprinted to Zahara's room.

Had his father felt the same? What did it mean?

Montgomery must have left scrolls, notes, diaries... something!

***

Rose had been watching the raindrops against her window; their downfall mimicking her tears. She had promised not to cry anymore but it was all the weather's fault!

Now she was feeling all sore and miserable. Her breasts were tender, her back almost killing her and don't even get her started on her ankles! While Anzer's bitter potions had been bearable and helped with the nausea, Rose had wondered if it was not causing her pains instead.

Just what in the world was going on with her? Nobody seemed to think it strange, so Rose figured it had to be a bug of some sort.

That was before she felt an alien force resonating from within her - a consciousness of somewhat pushing against her mind and down an invisible thread that tug at her heart. Rose had initially figured it was her hormones and the sickness causing the hallucinations but then she heard him.

First he had called her name but then he said something else -an exclamation and then a reprimand in words she understood as clearly Vampire.

Rose was still confused when she heard a soft knock on her door.

"Rose, it's me Anzer. It's time for dinner."

"I don't feel hungry." It was a lie. Rose was ravenous but she was so afraid that if she left the room, whatever it was that had connecting Etienne to her for those precious seconds would disappear.

"Don't make me come in there and toss you over my shoulder," warned the Noble. "You know I'll do it."

"No really Anzer I'm fi -"

Her door flung open; the raven-haired Vampire holding a spatula in his hands. "Out. Now."

"You're such a bully!" she rasped but did as instructed. Such underhand methods! Storming into her room with sauce covered utensils!

But her sour mood lightened considerably when she spotted a feathered visitor hiding behind what had to be the biggest bouquet of flowers she had ever seen.

"Hey beautiful." Drake was all grins as he scooped her up, planting a generous kiss on her lips. "Well, now don't I deserve that?"

Rose almost blinked back in surprise as the sudden contact but was too elated to care. Grabbing the flowers, she took a whiff and felt herself going slightly giddy.

"The smell of sun and sea! Oh how I miss the Cove. Why can't we go back together?"

Anzer's reply was to shake his spatula at her. "Because it's too close to you know where."

"But I'll be with you both!"

The Noble simply placed her warm plate of pasta in front of her in response.

"We'll debate over it after you eat."

Rose wanted to argue but the scent of the herbs were so welcoming that Rose even forgot for a moment why she was adamant on leaving Seurri; her mind set on polishing the plate in a second. She didn't even complain when Anzer gave her another helping.

"So Princess, what's it like living in the south?" asked Drake, an elbow resting on the table with his face leaning towards her.

Rose swallowed then pouted. "It's hot."

"I like you better when you're wearing less," he teased, earning a smack on the head by his father.

"Behave squab... and eat."

Rose however didn't take offense. Drake was constantly like that, she had somehow gotten used to his attention.

"I don't know if it's just me but it's been getting hotter everyday these past week."

"Perhaps it has to do with how you're feeling," said Anzer, nodding slowly, putting the back of his hand on her forehead just in case.

Rose watched as Drake jumped to his feet, his blue eyes flashing with excitement.

"I know what would make you feel better. Why don't you show me around, Rose? I mean you do owe me a tour after I gave you one the last time." Drake was already hooking her arm under his ready to go. That damn bird could barely stay still!

However, Anzer it seemed was slightly reluctant. Leaning his hands on the table, he pursed his lips as he looked at them both.

"Rose, why don't you go and find Miria and wait at the gates? I need to speak to my son about manners."

Rose wanted to protest but there was something in the Noble's eyes that made her comply. Drake had done something and while she couldn't sense it, Anzer had and it had made him upset. Getting up, she gave a small bow and left.

***

"I know what you're doing," said Anzer the moment Rose was out of sight. "It is not your right to imprint the child."

"As opposed to you?" Drake slammed his palm on the table, glaring at his father. "You know how I feel about her and yet you wish to claim what should be mine?"

"Do not presume what you do not know! Changelings and Vampires live in separate worlds with separate rules. Imprinting on a child not of your blood is certain death!"

The intensity of his father's slap echoed more than just the physical act itself. How hypocritical of him to say that when he, a Noble laid claim on him and his brothers as though they were his own?

Pressing a hand on his cheek, Drake turned and ran out of the dining hall. He had come here, without hesitation on his father's request and now there were rules? Drake wasn't planning on playing by them. He had come for Rose and he would stay for her. Damn whoever who'd dare stop him!

Wiping the scowl off his face, Drake put on the usual cheeriness that Rose was familiar with. He had sensed a deep sadness within the human and his heart had ached for her. There would be no need for his feelings to impose itself on hers.

"I hope Anzer didn't nag too much," said Rose when he caught up. "Must be hard for him being so far away from you five."

Drake simply smiled. He hadn't thought about it that way to be honest. But today was not about him.

"So, tell me, how's the rebuilding going? Do you need help?"

Rose smiled, angling her head towards him. "Are you planning to stay for long?"

"As long as you want sweetheart," he replied, curling an arm around her shoulder possessively; ignoring the curious look Miria was throwing his way.

Rose however didn't seem to mind the contact for she kept on walking, drawing his attention to the city walls as they approached the perimeter.

"We have a group of red wolf Changelings currently helping us with the reconstruction." She winked at him. "I'm sorry squab, but they're much better seamen. Thanks to them, we've had some excellent minerals and rocks from the sea."

"Well, at least I look better - you know, less hairy and all." He winked back, before making a face at a passing red wolf.

"Drake, you better keep your smart ass mouth to yourself. Or I'll feed you to those damn wolves," warned Miria; fingers twisting his ears in warning.