Tears of the Caribbean

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
laptopwriter
laptopwriter
3,538 Followers

By the time they were on their way, some of the men had carried the captain to his cabin. They were already putting more ocean between themselves and the man of war when Jack found the time to check on his friend.

"How is he?" he asked one of the crewmen.

"Not good, sir. We need to get him home. Maybe Asha can doctor him there."

"The course is already set," Jack replied. "But we have to go past Tortuga first." Tortuga was almost mythical for its reputation. There were more pirates on that one island than in all the rest of the Caribbean. Even an English man of war would have to think twice before entering its waters. "I figure that should discourage our friends from following us into port," he explained.

For the rest of the day, all night, and into the next morning the Devil's Mist sailed at full mast. Captain Hawkins drifted in and out of consciousness during the entire trip. Only two weeks and four days after setting sail the Devil's Mist was sighted as she emerged from behind one of the smaller islands surrounding St. Thomas.

The town's people were anxious. They knew Captain Hawkins wasn't due to return for a month or more. Seeing him back so soon could only mean trouble. Not knowing what to expect, some of the able body men rushed to Pirate's cove to wait. From shore they saw several wounded men being lowered to the long boats. They were horrified to see one of them was the captain.

The Marquesa was on her knees scrubbing the floor for what was now the fourth time in her life when Asha rushed past her. "What's the matter? What's wrong?"

"I don't know but there's a disturbance in town," she said, looking down from the courtyard of the castle. "Something's definitely wrong. Everyone's running for the cove," she anxiously added. "Forget that, come with me."

Both women hurried down the stone steps that led into town. Asha gasped in horror when she saw the men carrying their captain. Even the Marquesa was stunned to see him so close to death.

On board, the only excuse they had for a doctor tried to stop the bleeding but the wound had opened again from moving him and there was blood dripping in the sand as they carried him.

The Marquesa followed as Asha led the way and had the men lay Sir Guy face down in his bed. This wouldn't be the first time Asha had to patch him up but she'd never seen anything this bad. He was stripped to the waist and she could see from the absence of an exit wound that the ball was still inside his body; she would have to try and remove it without killing him.

The men who carried him in, stepped to the side but didn't want to leave the room.

"Camila, get me some rum from his sanctuary. Then get me the longest, thinnest knife you can find."

The Marquesa ran immediately into the captain's sanctuary and returned with the rum. "Where will I find such a knife?" she asked, frantically. She didn't like the man but at that moment her heart pounded with concern. It wasn't hard to see he was clinging to life by a thin thread and she didn't really want to see him die.

Asha had to think before answering her question. "Where...? Over there," she said, pointing to the corner of the room. "In his chest there is a jeweled handle dagger that he took from a Russian nobleman; get it."

Jack rushed into the room as Asha was pouring rum over the blade of the dagger. Now acting captain, he made sure all the injured were off the ship and in safe hands before embarking himself. He learned that from Sir Guy. "Is he going make it?"

"I don't know," responded Asha. "Come here and hold him down for me. He's unconscious right now but I can't take a chance of him waking up and moving while I'm trying to get the ball out of him."

"Give me a hand," he told one of the other men who had stayed behind. They forced the Marquesa to move out of the way while they both took their place on the bed where they could keep a good hold.

"John," Asha yelled at the other man who had helped carry their captain. "Make a fire and lay the end of your cutlass in it."

He didn't question her orders. The man hurried out to the courtyard and built a fire then did as he was told.

Camila secretly prayed while Asha slowly inserted the thin knife into the gaping hole. Carefully, she felt around until she felt the steel ball with the tip of the blade. She couldn't afford to let her fear make her unsteady as she cautiously worked the deadly slug up and out. A good deal of blood, meat, and a small fragment of bone came with it.

Camila felt like vomiting but another directive from Asha forced her to stay in control.

"Camila, in the desk drawer in my room are some bandages. Go get them. Bring as many as you can find."

The Marquesa was on her way before Asha even finished speaking. She found what she was looking for and rushed back.

Asha grabbed the bandages from her hand. "Now go get John and tell him to bring me the sword."

Jack took a deep breath and let it out with a sigh. He knew what was coming. He looked at his captain's faithful housekeeper and part time whore. Sweat was dripping from her forehead. Sir Guy's blood took on a dark tone against the black skin of her hands. There was so much fear behind her brown eyes he could almost feel it from where he sat.

Asha used the bandages and more rum to clean the wound as good as she could.

John entered the room with his sword. The steel tip glowed red with an intense heat. Asha looked at Jack with tears in her eyes. "Hold him good," she said. Jack just nodded.

Camila had no idea what was going on until Asha took the sword and brought the tip near the bleeding wound. "What are you doing?" she screamed.

"He's already lost too much blood," Asha said with a shaky voice. "I need to cauterize it or he will surely die."

"No, you can't." Camila started for her but John grabbed the angry Marquesa.

"She knows what she's doing," he said.

Everyone watched in horror as Asha lowered the flat side of the red-hot blade to his skin. The captain awoke from the excruciating pain and screamed in agony as the sickening smell of burning flesh filled the air. Jack held on to him so he wouldn't rip the skin open. After a minute the captain passed out again. Camila and Asha weren't the only ones with tears in their eyes.

"What are his chances," Jack asked.

"I don't know," she replied. "I've done all I can do, now it's up to him."

"Let me know if there's anything I can do. We're going to be on watch for the next few days. We had a man of war on our tail out there. I think we lost them around Tortuga but I don't want to take any chances so I'm going to ready all the cannons and post guards day and night."

***

The sea was a blanket of turquois blues and greens as the sun slowly slipped beneath the calming waters. The heavy heart watching the end of another day from the teetering deck belonged to the Marquis' Aritza. A kaleidoscope of colors sparkled from the sun through the tears in his eyes.

They had lowered anchor in various ports up and down the coast as well as some of the small out islands in search of his Marquesa. They stopped in every tavern they saw, asking questions and offering a reward for any information on either her or the ship but were no closer to finding her than when they left.

The ship and crew had been put together quickly and with only one thought, launching the search. As an incentive to sign up, the Marquis' offered a bonus if they found the Marquesa on top of paying above average wages. He realized now, that was a mistake. The men that signed on were not the kind of loyal subjects he'd like to have on such a quest. They were getting weary and more nervous about pirates. He wanted to go further into the Caribbean but he was afraid they'd mutiny and he really couldn't blame them. The small, lightly armored vessel was no match for a pirate ship.

The Marquis' heard footsteps approach and looked over at his friend. "She's out there, Juan. I know it. I can feel it. She's out there somewhere."

"I don't doubt it, my friend." He shuffled around a little like he was gathering the courage to say something. "Diego, the men are getting restless. They fear that all our inquiries about the Marquesa and the talk of rewards might have piqued the interest of some bad men...pirates. They want to go home."

"Damn it, Juan, we can't go home until we find her, I won't."

"Sir, we've had no contact with the fort. She might even be there waiting for you."

"You don't believe that any more than I do," he returned. The Marquis' leaned down and rubbed his forehead. The worry and stress was taking its toll. He felt weak, had had a massive headache for the last week, and didn't know if he could go on anyway.

"Sir, we need to return to port. If she is not there we can get more men and take the Santiago out to resume the search. In some of the ports we visited there was talk of Captain Hawkins sailing these waters, Sir. He is English. If we run across him with such inferior fire power we will be doomed and he'll give us no quarter."

The Marquis' had also heard the talk. His friend was right. They wouldn't stand a chance in the vessel they were in. "Okay," he said with a despondent sigh. "Tell the helmsman to set a course for home."

"Yes, sir...and don't worry, Sir," Juan said, trying to cheer up his friend. "We'll find her, I promise you. We will not quit until we find her."

The Marquis' just nodded. "I'll be in my cabin if you need me."

"Yes, sir."

The Marquis' Diego Aritza went back to his cabin to lie down. Even though he knew the chances were nil he clung to the hope that Juan was right, maybe she'd be in Saint Augustine waiting for him. There were only two other alternatives and both were equally terrifying; either the ship went down with her on it, or she was captured by pirates. He couldn't bear to even consider either. He buried his head among some linens, he couldn't afford to let his men hear his sobs.

***

"Asha, Asha, he's burning up," screamed a frightened Marquesa. She was helping to care for Captain Hawkins and had slept in the same bed with him in case any problems arose during the night. His body felt extremely hot to the touch when she woke up next to him.

It had been less than twenty-four hours since Asha removed the ball from his back. He had been drifting in and out of consciousness but had never completely come to. Now he had a high fever. That wasn't good. They'd been having a hard time getting water in him and a fever could easily dehydrate him, causing further complications.

"Help me get the rest of his clothes off," Asha ordered.

Camila raised his hips slightly while Asha pulled his pants off.

"Okay, sit down here," Asha told her protégée, "Now, we're slowly going to turn him so you can cradle him in your arms. Don't let him put any weight on the wound."

The Marquesa blushed as they turned his naked body and exposed his flaccid cock.

"Okay, wait here," barked Asha. "Remember, keep his weight off that wound. I'll be back in a few minutes." With that she rushed out into the courtyard and looked for a member of his crew. "Simon," she yelled down. "Tell Jack I need cool water from the spring in the hills. I need as much as he can get and I need it now. It's for the captain."

"Yes, ma'am," he replied before taking off at a dead run.

Back in the room, Camila had her eyes closed and was unconsciously rocking the lawless pirate in her arms when she felt a touch to the side of her cheek. Her eyes snapped open as she looked down into his ruggedly handsome, smiling face. He gently stroked her smooth skin.

"I...I must be dead," he said in barely a whisper. "I know I'm looking at the face of an angel."

"Shhhhh," she said while still rocking his broken body. "Save your strength," she said with a smile.

A few minutes later, Asha came in with a bucket of cool water and saw his eyes open. "He's awake?"

Camila hadn't lost her smile. "Yes, but I think he's delirious," she chuckled.

Asha went over and sat on the bed next to them. She doused a rag in the cool spring water and started to wipe down his body, starting with his forehead. He closed his eyes and sighed with relief.

"Oh yeah, that feels good," he told them.

Asha continued to bath him in hopes of bringing the fever down. When she was done he grunted while they both turned him back over onto his stomach. "Here," she told the Marquesa. "Soak these rags in the cold water then lay them across his back and all the way down to his feet."

The captain closed his eyes and sighed to the pleasant touch of each cool rag as she gently laid them one by one, covering his body. She barely heard him when he tried to talk.

"Ge...get me As...Asha. I ne...need to talk to her...pri," he took a couple of deep breaths, "privately."

"Can't it wait? You need your strength."

"Now," he commanded in a little stronger voice.

Camila scurried into the cooking area and relayed the captain's wishes. Asha wasted no time in hurrying to his side. "Yes, captain?"

"A..." he took another deep breath. "Asha, if I die I want Jack to make sure she gets back to her husband."

"You're not going to die," she responded with anger in her voice. "I won't allow it. Now belay this nonsense and rest. You haven't had anything to eat for days. You need food. I am cooking it now so don't bother me again unless it's important," she scolded.

She returned to the cooking area to find Camila checking on the food. "I'll take care of that. Go down into the village and find Jack. Tell him the captain is awake. Tell him I want to see him. Hurry, girl; go now."

Camila trotted down the castle stairs and ran along the sandy path that led to the village. She didn't know where Jack resided but got directions from the first person she asked. Fifteen minutes after being sent out, Camila returned with Jack in tow.

Asha took him aside and talked quietly so Camila couldn't hear them. They mumbled back and forth for a few minutes then Jack left for the captain's bedchamber and closed the door.

"Asha tells me you're finally awake. It's about time."

The captain was slipping off to sleep again when Jack's blustery voice shocked him back to reality. He chuckled, "And ahoy to you too, me hearty. Did Asha tell you of my order?"

"Order; you don't look like you're in any shape to give orders. When are you going to get your lazy ass out of that bed?"

There was only one man in the world who would dare talk to him like that, even in the condition he was in. Still...it did nothing for the captain's temperament. "Listen to me, I'm still your captain and..."

"My captain would not be lying around when his men need him. There is still a man of war out there somewhere."

The man of war was not Sir Guy's immediate concern. He was worried about the Marquesa. "Did...did Asha tell you about the wench?" he asked in a strained voice. "I mean it, Jack. If anything happens to me I want you to make sure she gets back to her husband."

Jack sighed. Asha told him about his wish but didn't think it was good for him to be contemplating death at all. Jack was supposed to rid him of any such thoughts.

"Listen to me you son-of-a-bitch, you're not going to die. If you do I'll take the wench for myself and to hell with her husband."

That made him mad. Sir Guy lifted himself up on his good side and looked angrily at his first mate. "Avast!" he exclaimed. "Scupper that kind of talk. You'll do what the hell I tell you to do, damn it."

Jack had to struggle to keep a smile from his face. This was the first sign of his warrior friend that he'd seen in days. "We'll see," he retorted before leaving the room. He gave Asha a wink on the way out of the fortress.

The rest of the day both Camila and Asha busied themselves with caring for the captain. They made sure he got plenty of food, broth, and water, even though he called for ale on several occasions. The fever was going down and they could see him starting to regain some strength. Still—it was early evening before Asha felt he was actually out of the woods.

The next morning Camila awoke surrounded by an empty bed. She looked around but he was not in the room. She looked in the kitchen then wandered around a bit before going outside. He stood next to one of the cannons along the courtyard wall looking out to the horizon as the dawning sun peeked out from behind the waves. There was no mistaking the fresh, angry looking burn on his back as she approached. "Well, it looks like you're feeling better."

He chuckled. "Yeah, between Asha and Jack they angered me so bad I decided I'd been in bed long enough." He turned to face her. "You're not an angel after-all, are you." He started to raise his right hand but the soreness was still intense. Her heart went out to him as he winced with pain. He relaxed his right arm and reached with his left. She stiffened as he ever so lovingly stroked the side of her cheek with the back of his fingers. His eyes bore right through her as she returned his gaze.

"Captain, I...I wish you wouldn't do that. Have you forgotten? I am a married woman."

He smiled. Just hours ago he was willing to send her home, but that was when he thought he might die. Now that he was feeling stronger he wanted her for himself again. She was simply too beautiful to let go. In time she would learn to love him or at least...well, she hadn't kicked him in the nuts lately.

"Have you forgotten where you are?" he replied. "We're pirates, remember? Privateers, we take what we want and blow the man down that's stands in our way. That which we don't want we throw into the sea; and you're much too lovely to throw into the sea."

He could see her anger returning; although, maybe not quite as strongly. Her eyes seemed to lack the penetrating hatred they once showed. Slowly he lowered his head to hers and touched her full lips with his own. When she didn't protest he wrapped his left arm around her waist and pulled her in for a passionate kiss. He felt her kissing back but when their lips broke apart she had tears in her eyes. She lowered her head and ran inside.

The Marquesa returned to her bed chamber, threw herself on the bed and cried. She felt so low, so self-loathing, so damn guilty. How could she have kissed him like that? Why had her heart softened for a brute with no scruples or morals? He was a tyrant and she had a faithful husband awaiting her in the new world. To yield to the captain's superior strength was one thing but to give herself willingly...

She lifted her head and looked through watery eyes at his shadowy figure standing in the doorway. Her heart beat with dreaded excitement as he stepped into the light.

"Do you want me to go?"

She was so confused. She didn't want him to go; she wanted him to stay. Where did these feelings come from? They were so wrong. She loved her husband very much, yet she was developing feelings for another man, strong feelings. "I...I don't know what I want," she replied.

He walked over and sat on the edge of the bed. Again, with his left he reached over and gently dried the tears from her face. "I want you, Camila. I don't mean simply your presence or even just your body; I can take that any time I wish. I..."

"Why haven't you?" she asked, cutting him off.

"Why haven't I what?"

"Why haven't you taken my body? You said you would do as much the first night I was here, yet aside from ripping my dress that one time, you've made no other advances. Why did you not force yourself upon me before setting sail last time?"

"Because I didn't want to leave knowing you hated me for what I'd done. I want your heart, Camila, I want your love. Do you think you could ever freely give that to me?"

Camila needed time to sort through the confusion. Hate, love, loneliness, pride, guilt, right from wrong; her emotions were as unstable as the shifting sands.

laptopwriter
laptopwriter
3,538 Followers