Tears of the Fallen Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,495 Followers

"Pietro... "

He halted on his way out of the room, not turning to look back as Andrei called his name.

"I expect you back behind the bar at The Dive tonight. I suggest you use the apartment over the bar for a while until you're feeling more like yourself."

It was Andrei's way of telling him that no matter what had happened this day, he still counted him as his friend and would have his back to the best of his ability. Pietro was aware it was more than he probably deserved but he accepted it as gracefully as he could.

"I'll see you later then."

*****

"Dara, let me, honey." Alexei's calm words belied the expression on his face as he ushered one daughter aside to reach the other.

She looked up through tear-filled eyes to see her parents beside them, her mother clearly having shifted into her wolf form at some point, as she now stood naked before them. "She won't stop weeping. I can't do anything to help her."

Her mother held out her arms, enfolding her in a tight embrace. "That's our job, sweetheart, not yours, though you are a credit to all of us that you have tried so hard." Gentle hands soothed down her back, trying to take the ache from her heart at her sister's distress. "Can you rustle me up something to wear, honey? There's a bit of a nip in the air."

Smothering down another sob, Dara fought for some composure and the concentration she would need to accede to her mother's request. She knew it was a deliberate attempt to redirect her, and she was grateful to her mother for it. She was no help to Cassia being an emotional wreck. She needed to be Cassia's strength right now.

Taking a deep breath and doing her best to tune everything out around her, Dara tapped into the well of power she had inside, conjuring up a sarong in deep forest green. It was easier to create single bolts of cloth as opposed to specific clothing, and it appeared her mother was content with her offering as Cedar wrapped the sarong around her body.

Turning back to Cassia, Dara watched her father kneel beside her, his hands gentle as they stroked through the wolf's tangle fur.

"Cass, honey, you can't hide within your wolf. I know it's hard right now but you need to come back to us. You need to let us take care of you." Alexei kept his words soft and low, all the while his hands continued to stroke the wolf as he talked.

"Come, daughter. Show me that wonderful strength I know that lives within your heart. Return to your family. Come home to us."

For a long moment it appeared as if she would refuse him, and then the wolf shifted into the woman, curled up on the forest floor. The second she shifted, Alexei scooped her up into his arms and she burrowed her face into the side of his neck, loud sobs wracking her body.

"He doesn't want me, Daddy. My mate doesn't want me."

Alexei's footsteps faltered as he started walking towards his mate and youngest daughter, a flash of fury in his eyes. His gaze fell on Dara after Cedar gave a quick shake of her head.

"Explain." The word ground out in a low voice almost over-shadowed by Cassia's crying.

Dara swallowed hard, trying not to shrink back against her mother, who continued to run a hand down her back.

"Alexei, please moderate your tone," Cedar remarked, a hint of censure in her tone. "Whatever is going on is not of Dara's making, and she deserves better than that from her father."

The rebuke in her tone was enough to get through her mate's initial fury, and he conceded her point, giving Dara an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, Dara. I'm just concerned for your sister. Please tell us what you know."

Relieved to see a more normal expression on her father's face, Dara straightened up, giving him a tentative smile back. "I don't know much, Dad. Cassia told me that Pietro was her mate but that her wolf was acting a bit strange about it... as if it couldn't quite make up its mind one way or the other."

"That's impossible," Cedar interjected, a frown marring her face as she reached out to Cassia and stroked a hand through her weeping daughter's hair. "Our wolves always know - instantly."

"Cassia says otherwise," her daughter answered, shrugging her shoulders. "I wouldn't know personally as I haven't met my mate yet."

"One at a time... " Alexei muttered under his breath, his tone rueful as he cradled Cassia tenderly in his arms as they headed back towards the compound. She had finally stopped weeping, though it was apparent she was lost somewhere within herself. "Is Pietro aware of this?"

There was no mistaking the hard edge to his voice and Dara was glad the vampire would be gone by the time they got back. There was no telling what her father might do giving his current mood. "As far as I know, Cassia was taking things slowly with him, giving him time to heal from Europe before making her claim. I don't think he's aware of it despite the fact they've been spending a lot of time together."

"Lucky for him." Again the words were muttered, a dangerous edge to each one.

"Alexei," Cedar sighed, placing a hand on his arm to try to sooth the rage she could feel flowing through their mate bond.

"Look at her, Cedar. Look at our girl. Don't expect me to be rational about this when Cassia is hurting this badly. I just can't do it."

"Don't you think I'm every bit as concerned as you are, Alexei?" she answered quietly, unable to hide her disappointment. "Don't you think my heart is breaking seeing our daughter so distressed? One of us has to keep a level head about this, and of course, that person is going to have to be me, as it always it. I don't get the luxury of exploding into a temper and protecting my daughter because I'm too busy ensuring you don't do something stupid that will make things worse."

It was so unusual to hear the trace of bitterness in her voice that for a moment Alexei stopped walking, surprise crossing his face. Dara was equally surprised and uncomfortable witnessing one her parents' rare fights. She wasn't sure whether she should keep walking or stay with them.

Her father remained silent for a long moment, and then his expression softened and he leaned down to kiss his mate, brushing his cheek against the top of her head. "I'm sorry, I know you're just as concerned, honey. I'll promise to behave."

As quickly as Cedar had become irritated, her expression mellowed and she rolled her eyes in disbelief. "You don't even know the meaning of the word, Alexei Romanov, but I'm holding you to that promise."

With the disagreement over with as soon as it had begun; they broke through the trees and entered the pack compound. It was clear of most of the people from earlier, however Rafe was sitting on the steps to his house, his eyes pinned to them as they walked out of the forest. He rose and met them half way, his trouble gaze on Cassia.

"Is she okay? Do you need to use the safe room?"

Alexei looked to Cedar for the answer, relieved when she shook her head. "I don't think so, Rafe. Let us spend some time with her as a family. If we need you, we'll let you know."

The Alpha placed a hand on Cassia's head, leaning down to brush his lips against her cheek. "If you need us we are here for you." He said the words aloud and sent them down the Alpha link he shared with each pack member. There was no response from Cassia but he was certain she'd heard him. Straightening up, his concerned gaze met Alexei's and Cedar's. "Lacey will want to check in on her later."

"Lacey is welcome to visit anytime, as are you, Rafe. However, can we keep it to a minimum just now?" Cedar asked. "We don't want to overload Cassia with too many people around; not until she's had a chance to recover from today's events."

"Agreed. I'll have Aaron spread the word not to disturb you." Rafe nodded his head to Alexei, silently communicating that he wanted to speak with Cedar out of Cassia's earshot. The vampire continued on his way with his daughters, leaving his mate to discuss whatever their Alpha wanted to impart.

"Pietro left the pack a quarter of an hour ago," Rafe announced as soon as they disappeared into their family home. "I don't know if that's going to be a good thing or not for Cassia, but I thought it would be best if either you or Alexei broke the news to her."

Cedar's already concerned expression darkened further, her worried eyes turning towards her home. "Do you know where he went? If we can at least tell her that it may take some of the sting from knowing he's left."

"Andrei said Pietro will be staying at the Dive and taking over his responsibilities there from tonight, so he'll still be afforded some level of protection from the vampires that Andrei trusts while he recovers. Hopefully some time apart will show Pietro how much he misses Cassia. He is her mate, I take it?"

Cedar sighed and rubbed her hands across her face wearily. "It's certainly looking that way, though she did tell Dara that her wolf appeared to be undecided on the matter. I'm still reeling over that one, Rafe. I didn't think it was possible for a wolf to be confused."

"Neither did I," the Alpha frowned raking a hand through his hair, before giving his beta a reassuring hug. "I'll talk to Rayne before she leaves and have a word with Annie and Caleb too. Maybe there's something in their books that can explain it. We have to remember that the Vârcolac are not like purebred Weres or Vampires. What applies to the rest of us may not necessarily apply to them."

With another quick squeeze, Rafe released Cedar so she could go to her daughter. As she disappeared from view, he pulled out his cell and dialled Rayne's number. He needed to have a last word with Gard and Rayne before they headed to Europe anyway. They had to decide whether it was wise to leave Kothari on his own with just Dara checking in with him. Given the turn of events with Cassia, Dara may be otherwise distracted.

*****

The Jeep made its way up the mountain, Elina behind the wheel with Liam and Reasa in the back. The second Jeep shadowed them closely, Dayton, Ben and AJ bringing up the rear. Rafe's sons were unaffected by their tussle with the vampire. Pietro hadn't hurt them much and they'd insisted they were fine to continue with the task their father had set them. It had been a proud Alpha who had clapped each son on his shoulder and sent him on his way.

Liam's emotions were mixed, his heart going out to Cassia as he felt her pain as they all did. He was strangely detached when he thought of Pietro and his actions. He felt some level of anger towards the vampire for trying to harm his mate and hurting his friends, but he could also understand what had driven Pietro to act as he had, and that took some of the edge from his anger.

They could all understand and that was probably why, despite what had happened, there wasn't an overabundance of hostility towards the vampire. Liam had heard some mutterings from the younger pack members as they were heading off, but wiser, calmer heads in the pack would work to subdue any antipathy towards Pietro and the vampires in general. Aaron would probably assign some intensive border patrols so the more hot-headed youngsters could blunt their anger. By the time they returned to the pack, the incident would have become just another story to tell on a balmy night sitting around a fire.

That left Liam with only one real emotion to ponder; his fear that his mate would have been hurt, and what he would have been prepared to do to prevent that ever happening. He was ashamed of the thoughts that had flooded his mind as Pietro struck out. All the gentleness that made him who he was evaporated on the spot, and the feral vampiric side of himself had taken dominance.

He had considered killing Pietro to protect Thereasa. The thought had actually crossed his mind, his vampire urging him to reach out and take the other male's head. How could he even think such a thing? He was aware that Cassia was attached to the vampire, knew now that Pietro was her mate given her reaction to his rejection. His friend had placed his needs and the pack's before her own, and he had considered doing the worst thing a wolf could ever do to another pack member.

What kind of monster did that make him? How could his family, his friends, every single pack member protect him, protect Reasa for him, when he wasn't worth their efforts? This couldn't continue... things couldn't go on as they were. Cassia deserved her happiness with her mate and that would never happen as long as he and Reasa remained at the pack. There really wasn't any other option. They would have to leave the pack once they'd done all they could at the Praetorian Compound. There would never be a place for them there. Recent events proved that.

"We won't allow it." Elina's cool words broke the oppressive silence in the car.

"You won't have a choice." Liam wasn't surprised that his cousin could guess at what he was thinking. She always seemed to know what was going on inside his head; she'd lived in it for long enough.

"What?" Reasa didn't look at him, her gaze remaining fixed ahead.

"Liam is coming to the conclusion that you will both be leaving the pack. I am just disabusing him of it."

Reasa's gaze turned to the man at her side and for a second she almost smiled at the stubborn expression she saw on his face. Once more she was struck by the strong familial bond between the cousins, and even if she hadn't been aware of their history from walking through Liam's memory, she would still have sensed their strong attachment.

"You need your pack," she said, turning away to look out the window. "You are not a solitary creature and would not thrive well without them."

"Pietro is Cassia's mate, Reasa. Today has proven that to all of us. She will never be happy without him, and he will never come to accept you. His inability to forgive you will continue his rejection of my friend. I cannot cause her pain so I can be happy." Liam's quiet words hung heavy on the air, a faint quiver in his voice.

Reasa didn't answer him. It was hard to refute his words. Pietro's need for vengeance was too ingrained. He was the kind of male others in her coven had aspired to be and could never attain that level of strength. She understood males like Pietro; she not only understood them, she respected them. Louis was one who held the same strength, the same determination as the wounded vampire back at the compound. He would mete out the same type of justice Pietro yearned for, and she would deserve it for her actions.

The situation was currently at a stalemate though. For one couple to be happy the other couple must suffer. From that point of view, Liam's logic made sense and while she couldn't argue with it, she was as determined as Elina not to allow it to pass. She would have to find some way to resolve the situation once they had helped the patients at the Praetorian Compound. She was aware of what she had to do, and she knew that Liam would do his utmost to prevent it. However, it wasn't his decision to make. When the time came, she would stand before Pietro alone and accept his judgement.

Elina also knew the truth of it, though she continued to deny it because she didn't want to lose her cousin. While she argued with Liam about his proposed course of action, her eyes met Reasa's in the rear-view mirror, and the former vampire could see that the other woman had an inkling of what she was thinking.

"The pack is strong, Liam. We have that strength because we stick together no matter what. Don't lose faith in us. We will find a way to resolve this." Even though spoken in a cold tone, there was passion in Elina's voice as she appealed to her cousin. Reasa heard the underlying words being spoken to her too, and her admiration for the other woman rose. If they had met under any other circumstances, Reasa was sure she would have called the other woman a friend.

Liam's expression remained stubborn, though he leaned back and rested his head, closing his eyes as he did. He was completely clueless about the unspoken communication between his mate and his cousin. "Let's just concentrate on what needs to be done for now. The rest is a while away. This is more important."

Reasa mirrored his position, closing her eyes and once more seeing Pietro standing in the compound, naked hatred oozing from every pore in his body, all projected towards her. She felt the same thrill of terror as she had then, followed by a feeling of disappointment as Liam had shielded her. Had she wanted to die in that moment? That thought had followed her around ever since she'd had her vampiric nature stripped from her. There had been times when she'd truly believed it was what she wanted and others when she'd wanted to cling to life.

The only thing she really knew was that it wasn't her decision or Liam's about what would happen in the future. There was only one person who had the right to decide her fate, and she only hoped she would be courageous enough to stand tall before him when he made it.

The Jeep pulling into the Praetorian Compound shook her from her musings, and she opened her eyes to view the large house that was home to the Praetorians. Elina pulled up close to the steps and pulled on the handbrake. It was strange being back. Exciting and yet terrifying. The last time Reasa had been here, she'd lost everything that had made her who she was. She wasn't able to contain the shiver that ran through her body.

"No one will hurt you here," Liam rumbled, his voice low, for her ears only.

"There is nothing further that anyone could do to hurt me than what has already been done," she answered, stiffening her back as the door opened and a large vampire with flowing black hair came out to greet them.

Mac greeted the arrivals with a touch of caution laced with optimism. He was relieved they were here and willing to try to help his injured people, but he was wary too, given his mate's involvement. Lily was happy and bright, so certain that Liam and Reasa were going to save the day with this new skill they'd discovered, but he was concerned about what would happen if they failed.

His mate's eyes held a hint of sadness every time he looked into them. Though she smiled and went about her life with the wonderful strength and resilience he'd fallen in love with, he could always detect that small hint of melancholy that lived within her because of Brandon. She missed her friend keenly, cared for him devotedly, and if this didn't work... if they lost him... he knew his beautiful mate would die a little inside.

"How sure are you about this?" He asked the question of Liam and Reasa, as they were the ones who would be performing the dream walking.

"There is no certainty, Mac, just the hope that we can affect a positive change." It was Liam who answered, his tone grave. "We know what's at stake. If it can be done... we will do it. That's the best we can give you."

"Fair enough." Mac wasn't feeling as comforted as he'd hoped he would. He nodded to the Weres who had escorted Reasa to the compound and motioned for them to precede him into the large house that was the heart of the Praetorians.

"We'll stay outside," Dayton announced. "There's nothing we can do inside and we're muscle rather than brains up here. We'll check in with the other wolves and do a sweep around the compound." He headed off into the trees, followed by Ben and AJ.

"I will attend inside," Elina said, walking up the steps into the house, patently ignoring the brawny blond vampire who was standing in the hallway as she entered.

"Good to see you too, Missy," Karn chuckled, blue eyes flashing with mischief as she sailed passed him and started upstairs.

"Idiot." Wafted back down the stairs and only made him chuckle harder.

"Behave," Mac growled, giving his friend a glare.

Karn's made a half-hearted attempt at looking sheepish but his attention was already diverted from the frosty woman intent on ignoring him, a speculative gleam in his eyes as he looked at Liam and Reasa. "I think I can do a little of what you can. Would I be in the way if I tagged along and tried to pick up some tips?"

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,495 Followers