Thawing the Glacier Pt. 01

Story Info
An ice queen meets a Viking.
4.3k words
4.15
5.7k
5
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I want to thank shittylifelessons for editing this piece for me.

****************

The full moon was shining over the fjord on another cool autumn night. From a tall grey castle balcony carved from local granite, a young woman looked on with long hard eyes. Her shimmering platinum blond hair, almost as white as snow, hung over her shoulder wrapped like a loose chain. She wore an elegant nightgown that was a brilliant shade of blue and white with gold-threaded stitching. Though her delicate blue moccasins kept her feet warm, her fingers were ice cold from leaning over the balcony, lost in her thoughts. Though the woman appeared to have delicate facial features and a slender body, her piercing blue eyes told a different story.

This woman was the princess Aurora Frost, the last of her name, though that was not always the case. The Frosts had come from a long, noble line that went back generations to the first people to settle the region. Though her kingdom was small, it was rich in resources, whether it be the schools of cod, salmon, and herring that fed the people year-round. It had lumber for ships and buildings, as well as an endless supply of ice, which was used to preserve food as well as was prized in the southern kingdoms. House Frost was respected for keeping their word and supporting their allies, a trait that would eventually lead to their house's downfall.

A few years before Aurora was born, a civil war had broken out in the central kingdoms. Though House Frost was isolated from this turmoil, they were honor-bound to help the great king in times of crisis. In the years-long conflict Aurora's grandfather, uncles, and many other men of White Peak left for war, never to return. Leaving only her father, River Frost to rule their small kingdom. He soon married a noble lady from a neighboring land that his father had made a promise for his hand in marriage. Lysa was a sweet and loving woman but was sickly and often bedridden. Though she was able to bless River with a son and a daughter, Lysa's condition never improved.

Fate would strike its cruel hand again when a plague from the mainland snuck its way onto the fjord taking her Father and younger brother's lives among many others, leaving only Aurora and her mother Lysa to rule.

Though Lysa Frost was queen regent, she was physically unfit to rule. Lysa was barely able to hold court one or two days a fortnight. This meant that Princess Aurora was given permission at the tender age of 16 to rule in her stead as hand of the queen. Aurora was forced to grow up fast and leave behind her childish desires for the sake of her people. This weight only became heavier when at 19 her mother passed away. Most believed it was due to her life long health issues, though Aurora knew it was from a broken heart.

Over the next five years, princess Frost became known as Lady Frost of White Peak, ruling with a sense of cold unwavering logic with little concern for emotions. She swore to never make the same foolish decisions that had doomed her bloodline. Often refusing requests to join alliances and marriage due to honor and past relations.

Even rejecting the simpler pleasure of life, considering them only to be distractions. This eventually got her nickname, Aurora the Frost Glacier, though if anyone were caught saying it would get a few lashes. Though this did give Aurora an aura of bitter dominance, for the most part, her people were well-taken care for much like her father and his father before him.

Aurora openly refused to marry and hand the reigns of her kingdom over to some buffoon's offspring that did not mean they did not try. At least once a season following the spring melt after her mothers passing, some young prince or lord would enter White Peak's harbor and attempt to woo Lady Aurora.

They brought chests of riches, boasted of their feats of strength and courage, as well as tried to push the commercial or military advantages of a union. All of these things Lady Aurora would reject with a cold and blunt certainty. After a few days to a week of unyielding rejection, these suitors would stock up and sail home with their tales between their legs. This pattern continued for years until most kingdoms and lordships got the hint and only communicated to work out trade agreements.

That was until a cool fall day when the pattern was broken. It was reported that a small fleet of Viking longships with a circular sun crest on the sails were making their way toward White Peak's harbor. When Lady Frost learned of this, she ordered the guards to be at the ready for anything. Yet when the ships approached they gave the signal for peace and were allowed to disembark. Though the ships were full of roughly fifty burly men, a young man with shoulder-length chestnut-colored hair led them.

He wore a quality fox fur coat attached to a fine tanned sealskin cloak. Underneath his cloak was a refined red tunic with two leather straps that crossed his chest and connected to his belt. The man also wore a finely stitched pair of trousers and shin-high black leather boots to complete the ensemble. On his right forearm was a small sun crest tattoo like on the sails, which was also etched onto the leather on his chest, boots, and hip satchel. His face was clean-shaven and had haunting gold-green eyes as well as a warm smile that was almost always in a permanent grin. The man introduced himself as Thorfinn Solarljos, son of Thors of the Icefyre Isles and he wished to have an audience with Lady Frost.

Thorfinn and four of his men were allowed to enter the halls of White Peak. His men carrying an obnoxiously large ornate chest, which required each man to hold onto a pole to carry.

When they arrived in the hall, Thorfinn looked around, assessing the room. As to be expected from the woman known as the Frost Glacier, the room felt large and cold literally and figuratively. The grey stone pillars held only two things, a torch to light the space and a blue and white banner with three white stars. The ornate stained glass did allow more light into the space, but the space still gave a very unwelcoming feeling. There were only a few servants milling about, speaking in hushed whispers. At the far end of the hall, Lady Frost and her queen's guard were waiting for the newly arrived guests.

When Thorfinn got closer he marveled at her site. She appeared like the ice queen of his childhood stories, beautiful as if she was carved from the purist mountain ice. Her small intricate tiara sat on top of her stone-cold face, with her almost translucent hair wrapped around her right shoulder. Aurora's sky blue dress was formal regal attire but did not emphasize any of her womanly features. Her deep blue eyes watched the men approach like a hawk stalking its prey.

When they had walked about three-quarters of the way down the great hall, they were ordered to stop and state their business. With a level of pageantry, Thorfinn did an over-exaggerated courtesy bow and introduced himself and his party. He then stated he had heard rumors of a queen in a land of ice that could not yield to any man, whose beauty knew no equal and knew he had to meet such an interesting individual.

Aurora rolled her eyes, preparing herself for another fool trying to wed her. Looking at the large box, she sighed, wanting to get this over with as soon as possible.

Playfully, he told the Lady Frost he had heard she enjoyed receiving gifts and her precious time, a statement that was only half true. He wanted to play a game with her where he would leave that day if she could guess correctly what was in the chest. If she lost, she would humor him and his men for a few days.

With a tired tone, she guessed gold and tapestries, to which he clicked his teeth and wiggled his finger indicating she was wrong. The four men put the heavy chest down opening it to reveal a smaller chest, which took two men to lift.

Becoming aggravated, she sat upright and guessed jewels. Once again, he clicked his teeth and wiggled his finger. The two men opened the chest repeating the process of removing a smaller chest, this one only requiring one man to lift.

Frustrated, Aurora descended her throne followed by her queen's guard. She then guessed important maps and documents from his father. Thorfinn again he clicked his teeth and repeated his gesture. The man opens the chest revealing a small ornately carved wooden box, which he places on top of the small chest.

At this point, Aurora couldn't stand it anymore and yelled at the infuriating prince, "NOTHING!"

Smirking, Thorfinn stepped forward and opens the dark brown box revealing a beautiful necklace. The necklace was comprised of a simple silver chain with many exotic shells attached. In the center was half of a blue, white, and purple shell with a mother of pearl in the center. It glittered in the light.

Thorfinn then said, "The answer was my love, but I suppose this necklace must do as a substitute. I made it myself using only the most beautiful treasures of my homeland. It is surely a well-crafted piece that will shine brighter on you. Though my love is small like this piece, I hope to someday fill that large chest with my love till it overflows."

Aurora was taken aback by his words. Up until a moment ago, she was willing to lock him in that large chest and throw him into the bay. For years she had seen every trick in the book to buy her love through gold, jewelry, and exotic wears. This was certainly a first. Though the trinket was beautiful, she doubted it was worth much. Yet she could not help but admire his creativity, though he did make her blood boil just for a moment, having to honor a promise, even if it was a poorly made one.

Aurora said in a slightly amused voice, "You certainly are a unique one. As promised I will allow you and your men to stay and rest. If it is my hand in marriage you want, you will need to offer me something far greater than this, do you have it?" She knew there was nothing this peculiar fool could offer.

Thorfinn rubbed his chin and smiled, "Well, not at this moment my Lady, but give me a few days and I may have a better answer. In the meantime, let us prepare you and your court an Icefyre Isles welcome that I am sure will warm your heart."

All Aurora could think was that this young man was a more foolish jester than a prince. She nodded to Thorfinn and instructed her guards to allow the men into the castle grounds, but inform her if anything odd happened. With that, she retired to her quarters to rest and freshen up. Her handmaiden took the small jewelry box joined her.

Back in her chambers, Aurora's handmaiden Lark helped her out of her formal wear. Lark was roughly the same age as Aurora, wearing a more simple blue and a white servant's dress with a bonnet. She had earthy brown eyes and straw-colored hair that framed her face. As a child, she played together in the castle with Aurora and her brother Brook while he was still alive. After Aurora's father and brother passed her relationship with her friend shifted, though on a rare occasion Aurora would open up as a confidant. Usually after a glass or two of wine in the late hours of the night. Lark understood Aurora's pain more than any other.

Underneath Aurora's formal wear was her intricate small clothes. Her light blue undershirt was form-fitting around her firm, perky breasts, and hung loose on her stomach. Her underwear was a patterned piece of cloth that tied at either side with two strings. Two ice blue thigh-high stockings ran up her curvy legs and were synched with a small bow.

Lark helped her clean Aurora's body with a nearby wash basin, wiping the moist cloth over her milky white skin, delicate neck, and pink areola. Once done, Lark helped her into her robe. Aurora then instructed her to put the necklace Thorfinn had given her around her neck.

Aurora looked at herself in a mirror-polished piece of copper. The necklace was beautiful around her supple neck and shoulders, like something out of the mermaid tales she was told as a child. Aurora touched the central shell containing the mother of pearl between her fingers, deep in thought.

Aurora suddenly felt tired and needed to take a rest before that night festivities. Though it was mid-day, Lark knew this was not unusual since Lady Aurora was notorious for having odd sleep patterns in times of stress. Once in bed, Lark made her leave.

As Aurora rested she began to toss and turn in her sleep. Images of her short childhood flooded her mind, where she was playing with Lark and Brook in the courtyard, cuddling next to her mother, then holding her father's hand as they walked down the great hall. As she climbed the stairs to her father's throne, her family slowly turned to dust and blew away like fresh snow on a winter's morning. As she reached the summit, cold hands reaching out around her face, placing a twisted crown of silver thorns on her head. Cool drops of blood fell around her face where the thorns cut into her skin. She looked out to a sea of faceless figures dressed in everything from peasants garb to fine regalia, all of them swaying back and forth chanting her name.

In Aurora's despair, a warm hand reached out and touched her hand. Then a warm ripple passed through the room and the faceless figures disappeared like smoke. Looking up to a bright figure she could not make out the face, but it gave her comfort. The figure's hand went up her arm and shoulder, only stopping when its hand was touching the side of her face, its other hand wiping away the blood and tears from her face. The embracing figure leaned over as if to kiss her. But before their lips touched, Aurora woke up.

She bolted upright in her bed, breathing hard. The room was empty besides the orange light of evening dancing on the floor and walls. Her sheets were kicked aside and her robe was partially open. Sweat covered her body. As she stood up she noticed that her petite nipples were erect and her sex was sopping wet. Taking off her drenched undergarment she found her sliver grey pubic hair to be matted and sticky with a warm pulsing sensation as the cool air blew into her room. This was a feeling she had not felt in her 24 years of life.

Embarrassed, she headed for her washbasin and poured out some water to clean herself again. After placing her dirtied undergarments into a linen basket, she dressed in fresh clothing. As she slipped her robe on again, Lark knocked on her door and entered her chamber. She had a smile on her face and greeted Aurora, moving to her wardrobe and picked out an outfit Aurora felt to be appropriate for the evening.

It was a long blue dress with matching blue and white sleeves stitched with her family crest. The dress was much more womanly than her clothing earlier that day and went well with the necklace that Thorfinn had given her. She figured to continue wearing it as a gesture of goodwill.

As Aurora got dressed, she noticed Lark had a small bracelet made of cowry shells around her left wrist. When Lark was pressed about the trinket, she said that Thorfinn gave it to her for helping him settle into his quarters. Aurora tried to interpret the meaning of this gift. Lark was not one to take gifts or bribes from others or gossip about her personal affairs. This Thorfinn was an odd fellow, but ultimately, she wrote it off as a kind gesture.

When she entered the great hall, it was transformed into an unfamiliar site. Every torch was lit and the bright light illuminated the entire space so no shadows lay bare except underfoot. Long tables and benched were brought out for a feast and a platform was erected for some kind of showing. Food and ale was on every table with people speaking and laughing in high spirits. The great hall had not looked anything like this in years since Aurora's father River Frost was alive. Even their annual harvest festivals, which were one of the biggest celebratory events at White Peak, could not hold a candle to this.

As Aurora made her way to her seat, Thorfinn was waiting in the guest of honor's spot to her right. As they ate their meals of seasoned cod with pickled root vegetables and wild grains, they were treated to fyre rum from Thorfinn's home. A group of minstrels played lively music followed by ax juggling and a rather terrible play about the founding of Icefyre Isles, all of which had the crowd of attendees laughing and in high spirits. Even Aurora found herself mildly amused by the antics.

Toward the end of the night was a dance. While people cleared the hall of tables and paired up, Thorfinn reached his hand over to Lady Aurora, offering her a chance to dance. His hand was placed in the same position as the one in her dreams. A jolt of pleasure tingled through her body, but she kindly refused his offer.

Looking deep into her deep blue eyes, Thorfinn smirked and in his dreamy voice he says, "Maybe next time my Lady, if that is what your heart desires." Then he sauntered off toward the other partygoers. A moment later she noticed him asking Lark to dance, who blushed and agreed.

Aurora watched the people dancing and clapping for the next hour. The sounds of merriment reverberated through her mind, vaguely bringing back memories of similar events playing out in her childhood. Her eyes were slightly glazed over and deep in thought. Whether it be the strong alcohol or the nostalgia, she stopped paying close attention to Thorfinn, who was getting very friendly with Lark, subtly touching her in intimate ways while just out of sight of Lady Frost. When the last dance finished, Thorfinn and the minstrels took a bow and retired for the evening.

While the servants cleaned up the remains of the festivities, a member of her queen's guard escorted Aurora back to her chambers. Unbeknownst to Aurora, Lark followed down the same guest hall as Thorfinn a few minutes after he left the party, nonchalantly walking down the hall and entering his guest-chamber. She approached a half-dressed Thorfinn and smiled with large dilated eyes.

Back in Aurora's chambers, she changed into her blue night robe and moccasins and found herself at her balcony deep in thought. The words of Thorfinn replayed in her mind over and over like a bird learning to sing. "If that is what your heart desires."

Though Aurora thought of herself as wise, she felt that she did not know that answer. For years, protecting her home, White Peak, and her people was her only desire. Now she was unsure if desire and duty were one and the same. She had achieved what many rules struggled for years or generations to achieve: a steady food supply to feed her people, wealth, extensive trade routes, and self-defense. Yet, she felt there was still something missing.

As she turned to return to her bed, she touched the part of her hand where Thorfinn hand had laid, trying to understand the feelings that coincided with it. When she sat on the edge of her bed, she tried to remove the necklace, but her stumbling fingers could not undo the latch, so she abandoned trying and laid down once again drifting off to sleep.

In Thorfinn's chamber, however, sleep was the farthest thing from his mind. Clothing was strewn about the room with only a few dim candles lighting the room. Two figures were tangled on the bed in heated passion. Thorfinn was lying on his back, while Lark was on top sensually rubbing her body and gyrating her hips over his muscular form. Her thick dirty blond bush was tickling his lower abdomen. His arms wrapped around the back of her neck, embracing Lark in a deep, passionate kiss. The cowry shell trinket on Lark's wrist sparkled in the light.

Seducing Aurora's handmaiden was not as difficult as he thought it would be. After giving her a few complementing words, she had willingly taken his gift. The shells of desire were able to bring forth the wearer's needs to the forefront of their mind. All Lark needed was a little push. Like most young women her age, Lark desired a strong, handsome man who would love and provide for her. Thorfinn was able to seep his way into that desire.

12