The American missionary — volume 42, no. 9, September, 1888

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The mornings of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were occupied with public examinations in the different departments, and they all gave evidence of faithful work having been done by teachers and pupils. The examinations in theology and moral philosophy were especially fine, and would do credit to any Northern white students.

Monday night was given to the exercises of the three literary societies connected with the college and these were conducted wholly by the students.

On Tuesday afternoon was the inspection of the industrial classes, printing office, barns, &c. In the large airy sewing-room were samples of work done by the girls, including quilts, garments of all kinds, and some very neat darning. In the printing office several young men were engaged in type-setting, presswork, etc., and the neatness of the printed programmes testified to the good work done by the “college press.” Visitors to the Slater shop found the blacksmith at his forge, the painter, the glazier and the cabinet-maker busy at work, and the wonder was that one small shop could accommodate so many trades. The brick masons were laying the foundation for an addition to the building, which will give better facilities for work. The fine stock on the farm, the new and improved farming tools, the steam engine in operation, and neat barns, attracted many visitors.

A lecture at night by Dr. Sturtevant, on the subject “Manners,” closed a very busy day.

Thursday was Commencement and the fullest day of the week. First came the graduating exercises; the class numbered seven, three young women and four young men from the Normal Department. Next came the alumni address and essay, after which the treasurer gave a brief statement of the resources of the college. The increase in attendance as compared with last year was more than eighty.

At the alumni dinner, in Foster Hall parlor, were present the alumni, the Faculty, and friends from the North, South, East and West, to the number of seventy in all. After supplying our physical wants, next in order came the toasts and responses. Dr. Andrews was master of ceremonies and in response to the toast “Our Theological Work,” Rev. Spencer Snell, of Birmingham, spoke of the great need of an educated ministry among the colored people, and told an amusing story of the “call to preach” of a colored man. He was at work in the field, but soon got tired, and leaning on his hoe, he said to himself, “Dis hoe am _so_ heaby, an’ dis row am _so_ long, an’ dis sun am _so_ hot, I tink dis nigger am called to preach de gospel.”

Next Paul Bledsoe of Laredo, Texas, spoke for “Our Normal Work,” James Brown for “Our Students,” and Mr. Stephen Childs, of Marion, for the “Parents of our Students.” Rev. J. Silsby, of Tenn., who was personally acquainted with the early history of the college, responded to the toast “The Founding of Talladega College.” “Our Churches” was responded to by Rev. C. B. Curtis, of Selma, and J. R. Sims, of Shelby Iron Works. Dr. Andrews closed with a few words for the college.

At night, W. P. Hamilton and J. A. Jones, who were graduated from the theological department in 1887, were ordained to the work of the gospel ministry. This closed the exercises of the week. During the week, many kind words were spoken for the college by friends from different parts of the State, showing that the best colored people in the State appreciate the thorough work done here.

During the week President DeForest was very much missed, but we all hoped that what was our loss would be his gain in health and strength from his trip across the ocean.

* * * * *

TRINITY SCHOOL, ATHENS, ALA.

Another year of pleasant work has just closed. Teachers and students, though looking rather worn and weary, are in the happiest mood, for all feel it has been a _good year_. The latter part of this school year has been specially characterized by very earnest study, and an ambition to reach one hundred per cent. in every thing. _One_ student has done this with a single exception, and says that he “shall surely make that up during vacation.” All have attained a higher standing than usual, and our final examinations were excellent.

Our sending a class to Fisk University this year, with favorable reports of them coming from month to month, has proved a constant inspiration to our classes here, and we hope as the years go by, to send many more in the same direction.

But the great struggle with us is to hold our students long enough to take them through even an elementary normal course. Parents in their ignorance and extreme poverty, are in such _a hurry_ to have their children teach and earn money to help support the younger ones, that, as soon as they can get a third grade certificate to teach in the public schools of the State, they are supposed to be _educated_.

And, too often, the people in the rural districts, impressed with the wonderful attainments of the young teacher, add to the folly of the parents in making these young people themselves, (only the weaker ones), think “they know enough, without going to school any more,” and so they drift into the ranks of those who “think they are something, when they are nothing.”

This is one of our discouragements, but we have very much for our encouragement in the beautiful _homes_ that are springing up all over this fair South-land, and in the noble band of intelligent, consecrated, Christian workers who, in pulpits and school-houses, and in the conscientious and successful management of business, are leading their people to a higher plane of living and to a truer citizenship.

Our closing exercises were held on Monday night, May 28, our twenty-third anniversary. Our large and beautiful hall was packed as never before. The audience was appreciative and very enthusiastic. There were visitors from Birmingham and Decatur, and all the towns along the lines of railroad. They expressed great interest in what they saw and heard, promising to send us many new students in October; but the difficulty is to find suitable places for them to board, as the parents all prefer to have their children in the Institution under the constant supervision of teachers.

Our exercises were quite novel, and had some unique features that greatly pleased the patrons. In all that was attempted, the pupils acquitted themselves well, and the _little_ children especially pleased the patrons of the school in their beautiful and perfect Scripture recitations. All the Sunday-school Golden Texts from October to June, were recited without a mistake, also several Psalms and an entire chapter from Isaiah. Bible truth planted in the hearts of these young children, will, we trust, bear precious fruit in their future lives.

M. S. WELLS

* * * * *

STUDENT’S LETTER.

* * * * *

HOW I WON MY SCHOOL.

MR. W. B. ROSS.

In the spring of 1881, I left Fisk University in search of a summer school. Knowing nowhere else to go, I went to the southwestern part of Arkansas. I had been informed by a Fisk student that there were vacancies in Hempstead county, and thither I bent my way in company with two other young men, also seeking summer employment, both of whom opened subscription schools in the State. I had taken two lessons a day in Latin during the school year just ended, and expected to “double my Greek” the next year. This would necessitate my being in at the beginning of the school year. I had always been politically inclined, and so had studied almost every artifice to win among strangers.

We three rode from Hope, Arkansas, to Washington, a distance of ten miles, in an old-fashioned ambulance.

On arriving at Washington, we were taken to the house of the colored teacher of that place. I looked at him; he extended his hand; I explained our business, and immediately he volunteered to assist us.

I had a particular school in view on leaving Nashville. On arriving at Washington, I learned from Mr. Shepperson, the teacher referred to, that one of the trustees of that school was in town.

I immediately started out in search of him. In a short time I was presented to a stoutly-built, heavy-set man, who was introduced as the gentleman I desired to see. I forthwith explained to Mr. Holt, for such was his name, that I had been informed that there was a colored school to be taught that summer in his district, and that I had come hoping I could get it.

“Yes,” said he, “there is a school there, but it will be a month before it can open.”

“Is that so?” said I. “I don’t see what I’ll do. Have you any objections to its being opened now?”

“Oh, no; if the colored people are willing, I am,” said he.

But I could see in the tone of his voice something that showed an unwillingness to have the school begin before Mr. Holt’s cotton was worked out. However, I took him at his word, and set out in the hot sun and sand, with my satchel on my back, to the desired plantation. On the way, I saw two million lizzards, one billion spiders, and a trillion scorpions, to say nothing of tarantulas and centipedes that appeared in countless numbers along my path. I arrived at Mr. H.’s house about six o’clock in the evening, and proceeded immediately to the cabin where the colored people lived. Finding no one at the cabin, I went to the field.

“Good evening,” said I to an old colored lady.

“Good evenin’,” said she.

“I am from Fisk University, Nashville, Tenn. I have come out here to teach this school for you.”

“Whar’s ’Fesser Thomson?” said she.

“I don’t know where the Professor is, but I’ll teach for you. My name is Ross.”

“Yas, sah.”

“And your name?”

“Daffney.”

“Mrs. Daffney, will you show me how to find the rest of the colored people in this settlement?”

“Yas, sah. Go down here and cross yonder, and you’ll come to a big field and some trees, sah.”

Before leaving Nashville, I put on my best. I knew, in case of any difficulty, my clothes would be an important factor in obtaining success. I went to an old colored man, plowing in that field, opened my duster, showed him my nice coat and shirt-stud, at the same time telling him, as fast as I could, whence I came, my object in coming, and reading the Fisk catalogue to let him learn something about the school.

He seemed satisfied with me. His countenance had changed from its troubled appearance to a pleasant one. But for ten minutes we argued the possibility of a cotton crop being made there if school opened then. I made point after point, but could not convince him, so put out after his wife. She was readily convinced of the desirability of having school open immediately; she promised to send three children, and to turn the old man.

I next encountered Jack Davis. “If you open school now, we’ll starve next winter,” said he.

I tried to show him differently, but was unsuccessful. I asked him for a drink. On reaching the house for it I explained my mission to his wife, and obtained her consent to open the school, with her promise to send two.

I next met a man who had no children to send. When I showed him the picture of Fisk University (Jubilee Hall), he immediately volunteered to work for me. He and I went and saw nearly every man in the community before 9 o’clock that night.

The majority were against me, but I had resolved to open school there and then. Time would not permit me to delay longer. The next day (Sunday) I was given a Bible class to teach in the Sunday-school. To my surprise, on going out doors I found that a preliminary school meeting had been held under the trees and that the Sunday-school teacher, though against me on coming there, had changed and was marshalling his forces for the great meeting on the morrow.

At 11 o’clock that same morning I heard a rousing blast by a huntsman’s horn. On inquiring, I found that my childless friend was telling the people to come together the next day. In the meantime, Jack Davis came over and discussed the matter with me. He closed by saying that I talked too fast for him, but that one thing was sure: he would send no children.

I did a great deal of talking that Sunday; not willingly, but on being introduced to the people as they came around to see me, nothing was left but to discuss in full the question of opening. It was an ox in the mire. Well, Monday came. The horn once more resounded through the woods. The people gathered from far and near. The chairman was elected, and, on stating the object of the meeting, took occasion to show them the impracticability of opening before the first of July. “There,” thought I, “whipped again. The chair is against me.” I arose and spoke ten minutes. On taking my seat, one opposed to me spoke. Among other things, he said: “Too many rascals are out from school, anyhow.” Here one would rise on my side; there one on the other side. Every man, including myself, seemed to do his best to talk loud enough. The chairman showed weakness in presiding, and was lacking in a knowledge of parliamentary usage. Thought I, “here is my chance.” Every time he blundered I arose and pointed out his error; showed him how to appoint his committees, and instructed him as to what motions took precedence. He saw my object, and informed me openly that he had participated in conventions in Helena. “It makes no difference,” said I; “you are wrong in your ruling.”

He began to look pitiful in the eyes of all. Men began to leave the room. Soon one-half of them were on the outside. The tide was turned. I went out to inquire more fully into matters. Nearly every man was now for me. “Then, come in,” said I; “you can’t help me out here.” I remained behind to see that all came. The previous question, namely, to open the school on the first of June, was called. All stood up in the affirmative except the man who had seen the “rascals.” I had won through the chairman’s ignorance. I have often thought of it since, and see more fully every day that most battles are lost or won through incompetency on one side and superiority on the other, and that knowledge is truly a power.

I will add that Jack Davis was my best friend after opening that school, and Dick Brown, whom I met plowing on going from Aunt Daffney’s house, carried my trunk a quarter of a mile for nothing, and loaned me his watch while I taught there. On going away, the man who was so afraid of the “rascals” came four miles to my house and carried my trunk thirteen miles to Hope—all for nothing. The crop turned out well. I gained twenty pounds, and, in a word, we were all happy.

THE INDIANS.

* * * * *

SPEECH OF AN INDIAN CHIEF.

At a Fourth of July celebration held at Lidgerwood, Dakota, a novel feature of the exercises was a speech by Magayohi (Chief Star), in the Sioux dialect, which being translated reads as follows, and which shows that if all the Sioux Indians were as intelligent and as well disposed as this chief, the Government Commission would have little trouble.

“This land which lies about us was once the property of my people; you have now possession of it and have made yourselves homes and are rearing your families on the land which formerly belonged to my forefathers. I have no complaint to make of this fact, for it is perhaps better as it is. Our desire is to become like the white man; to learn to cultivate the land and to make a living from it; to learn to read and to write and to transact business; to learn the principles of government and become citizens; to acquire title to 160 acres for each member of our tribe. We have faith in the Great Spirit and in the Great Father at Washington, and believe that in time your people will teach my people to be like you; the negro’s skin is darker than ours, and you have made a man of him; we ask the Government to do us the same justice.”

* * * * *

FORT YATES, DAKOTA.

FROM MISS M. C. COLLINS.

What are we going to do? This is a question coming to us continually. The A. M. A. doubtless is in a happy mood and smiling condition, now that it has strengthened our forces by two new men—one, Rev. Mr. Cross, 300 miles below here, and one, Rev. Mr. Reed, 32 miles from here at the Agency. It is a good thing—a great deal better than not to have sent anyone. But now, think of it: An Agency containing 6,000 souls, scattered in villages of from twenty to fifty families in a village, and the settlements from five to ten miles apart.

I could put a hundred Bibles in as many homes now among Catholics and wholly heathen families where one, at least could read it who has learned in some school of ours or the Presbyterians. I could give out a thousand Dakota Primers, or First Readers, into as many homes where they are anxious to read in their own tongue. There is no law against a Dakota’s owning a Dakota Bible, nor reading a Dakota primer in his own home. We could establish ten schools where Sabbath services could be held, at once. We could so reach a great many homes and hasten the civilization and Christianization of these Indians by many years.

I go long distances into Catholic houses as well as others, to administer to the sick. Last night I had a Government teacher (a Catholic) and his sick wife, whom I have been treating, and their two children, here all night. I have been riding sixteen miles to treat her, and then riding home, the man always coming for me and bringing me back.

I have now given twelve years to this work. I have seen wonderful changes. I have seen men with painted faces and feathers following the leader on to darkness and death. I have seen the same men, clothed and in their right minds, stand before a heathen audience of their own people and heard one say, only last week, “Men and brethren, you know me as a man fierce in war—a man whose hands are stained with blood—a man bearing many wounds. My body still bears the marks, but Christ has made me whole. I am another man. My body is the same, but my heart is new. My soul is clean; my will has changed; I think differently. The Gospel has renewed me.” It was one of the grandest pleas for the Gospel I ever heard. O! will you not empty your gold and your silver into the treasury? Will you not advance, and take every post as fast as ready to surrender? Let us guard these people with a great army of the Lord. Send on the advance guard and bring up your reinforcements. _I_ do not want to fall till I see Dakota taken for the Lord!

* * * * *

THE CHINESE.

* * * * *

CHRISTIAN CHINESE EN ROUTE TO CHINA.

It is some of the experiences of our Chinese brethren on their way to their native land that I have in mind in this title—not the bare fact that they do so return, or that their presence in their old homes cannot but become a leavening and a gradually revolutionizing influence there.

The subjoined letter is of special interest only because it is a little more full in its statement than others relating to other voyages. The writer, Ng Hing, was brought to faith in Christ at our Barnes Mission, and the letter is addressed to his teacher, Mrs. H. W. Lamont. Ng Hing is a modern Nathaniel. I scarcely ever spoke with him during the first months of his discipleship to Christ, but I felt like repeating that greeting which Jesus gave to the first Nathaniel: “Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no guile.” And I have found this impression abundantly confirmed by the testimony of his brethren and my own closer acquaintanceship.

The letter is a little old, being dated Nov. 17th. When it was first placed in my hands I asked the privilege of laying it before the readers of the MISSIONARY, but it has been crowded out till now. I give it with no attempt to set it right in its English. It will be understood as it is, and will be read, I trust, with all the more interest, revealing, as it does, the attempt of an intelligent Chinese to wrestle with what must seem to him the awkward idioms of our outlandish tongue: