The Argive Ch. 061-065

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The very house they were looking at was in the shadow of the Acropolis, being rented to them by a kindly old man with only two teeth. It would allow them to get their feet back on the ground and prepare for the day when they could return to Corinth, at least in Agemon's eyes.

And yet, it seemed that Agemon was the only one who held out hope of a return. The more days that went by, the more that Cypselus seemed to accept that his days of kingship were over. He even admitted to Agemon that previous night that he might never see the city again.

"How can you say that, my king?" asked Agemon. "Sure, the city is dominated by the Spartans now but not forever. We will return to Corinth one day and undo everything they've done to our city."

Cypselus seemed to be more of a realist. "You're a dreamer, Agemon. Horn of Hades, look what we've been reduced to. Of our old army, you're the only man I can still count on. Even if we wanted to take back Corinth, I can't take it back with a one-man army."

"Not just me, my king. We'll find new supporters. We'll train more fighters. It doesn't have to be like this forever."

Cypselus let out a long sigh and patted Agemon's shoulder. "Don't get your hopes up. We might be here a while."

The king left Agemon alone with his thoughts, and for the next twenty-four hours, Agemon had to come to terms with what his life might look like if they never went back to Corinth. As he sat down in the Athenian house for the first time, he wondered if he could really do this for the rest of his life.

"Not bad," said Cypselus as he looked around. He had his lips drawn tight, a heavy reminder that he didn't mean the words that came out of his mouth. "We can make it here."

His wife, Lyra, didn't seem so certain. At least she spoke her mind. "Cypselus, this place is a dump."

"It's a start," correct Cypselus. "And it's a lot better than what would have happened if we stayed in Corinth.

"Barely," said Lyra. "Maybe we can find another place to stay. This one is hardly safe."

"There are no other places that we can afford right now," said Cypselus. "It's either this or we all sleep out under the stars."

"Yes, but surely—"

The husband and wife continued to bicker as Agemon moved to the second room, which were to be his quarters while he stayed there. There was one small window, and he used it to look out on Athens. As far as cities went, it looked a lot like Corinth. There were the same smells and sights. People didn't look any different.

And yet it wasn't home. It wasn't Corinth.

How could he be expected to live in a city that wasn't his home? Especially if there was no going back?

Chapter 63: The Greatest Test

Agemon spent the rest of the day trying to answer that question, finally admitting failure by the time night fell. There was just too much uncertainty in the world these days, especially in regards to Corinth. Though he didn't like the idea of making Athens his home, there wasn't much else he could do about it right now.

He also wondered how those he knew in Corinth were faring right now. He hoped they were well and weren't suffering under the Spartans. Agemon also thought about his friend Praxis, and he hoped that he was still alive. With Argos under Spartan dominion as well, he half wondered whether Praxis was in exile too.

"Agemon?"

Agemon was interrupted from his thoughts by the soft sound of Cora's voice. He turned to face her, finding her standing near the doorway, her things neatly deposited on her bed. It had been decided that Cypselus and his family would sleep in the main room while Cora would share this room with Agemon.

Truthfully, the sleeping arrangements made him uneasy. Sleeping in the same room with Cora! It was something he could have only dreamed about a week ago. The woman still intimidated him just as much as she did in Corinth, and he was disappointed to say that he hadn't done much to get to know her during their journey to Athens.

Why she was still traveling with them as opposed to going back to Corinth was beyond him but Cora had a trusting nature that was very endearing to her personality. Agemon suspected that she liked the sense of adventure that came with traveling with them.

"Agemon? Is something wrong?"

It was at that moment that he realized he still hadn't answered her when she called for him the first time.

"S-sorry, I was just thinking," said Agemon, stammering over his words. "Did you need something?"

Her plain face smiled. "I guess we'll be rooming together now. It's a little different than being under the stars, right?"

"Right, of course," said Agemon nervously. "We have a roof now. A big difference."

He hated the words as soon as they came out. A roof now? Seriously?

But Cora didn't seem to mind. In fact, she started to laugh sweetly.

"You're funny, Agemon. For someone as strong as you are, you certainly have a funny sense of humor."

"I do? Uh, right, I do!"

Cora smiled again. "Do you ever think about how long we'll be in Athens? I was thinking about that earlier."

"I've been thinking about it nonstop since we left Corinth," he admitted. "I miss my home."

"I miss mine too, although I'm grateful that we got out before the Spartans got in." Cora shivered at that statement. They both knew that quite a few citizens that hadn't left the city were caught up in the brutality that occurred as the Spartans occupied it. Their screams could be heard into the night as the refugees got away.

"Can I ask you something, Agemon?"

His eyes met hers. "What is it?"

Cora bit her lip. "I've been wanting to ask you why. Why you went out of your way to help me get out of Corinth? Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that you did but you haven't told me why yet. Why me? Why did you want me to get out?"

It was quite possibly the hardest question she could have asked him. In Agemon's mind, there was no way he could tell her the real truth. That could be really embarrassing.

Gee, Cora, I only saved you because I love everything about you. It doesn't matter that we've never said more than two things to each other ever.

He winced as the words rebounded through his brain. That surely wouldn't do. But what could he say that wouldn't make a fool of himself?

"I just... I thought that... you see, the thing is..."

Agemon continued to stutter, never finding the right combination of words that didn't make him sound like a fool. At least Cora found the entire thing endearing. Her smile grew larger and she closed the distance between them.

"Take a breath," she urged. "What are you trying to say?"

"You're a good person," blurted Agemon.

"I'm what?" she asked.

"A good person," he repeated with a heavy sigh. "I've seen you many times before. Always in the market in Corinth. You're just so... nice. You're always nice to me, even when I don't know what to say to you."

"Why would you struggle with what to say to me?" she asked, confused.

Agemon looked at the floor. "I'm not the best with words, in case you can't tell."

"You seem to do just fine when you talk to the king," she noted. "Or even when you talk to the queen. Really, it just seems to be just me that you struggle with."

She had him there.

"I just didn't want anything bad to happen to you, Cora. I knew what those Spartans would do to any woman left in the city. You don't deserve that. You deserve only the best. I had to save you."

Though his explanation lacked much in the way of sense, Cora didn't seem to mind. She reached out to grab his hand, squeezing it gently.

"You're a good person too, Agemon. Cypselus talks about you like you're part of the family. Everyone in Corinth knows what a great warrior you are. You have much to be proud of."

"I'm a man without a home city," grumbled Agemon. "I'm not much of a man at all these days."

"Not to me," whispered Cora.

With those words, the small woman reached up on her feet and placed a kiss on Agemon's cheek.

Agemon could scarcely believe what happened. His face turned red, even as Cora looked away shyly.

If he thought he didn't know what to say before, he really didn't know now.

"I just wanted to make sure you knew that I appreciate what you did," she whispered several moments later. "And I'm glad to be here with you."

There was something about that statement that broke the ice, at least for Agemon. He was moving before he was sure why, but he enfolded her in a long embrace moments later, one that she returned as well.

Though it wasn't the way he once pictured having Cora in his arms, it was one hell of a start. And if he could just learn to talk to her, there was a promise of more to come.

Despite all the recent turmoil, Agemon went to bed that evening with a smile on his face.

Maybe there was hope for the future yet?

*****

Praxis had barely put his head down to rest before it was morning again. He tried to use his blanket to shield his eyes from the light but it was futile, especially the later that it got. Even Lysandra wasn't fighting it, though she had every reason to want to sleep in as well.

"Come on," she urged, yanking his arm. "Let's get out of bed. The sooner we find out about this last task, the sooner we can get it over with."

"Five more minutes," grunted Praxis, only to hear Lysandra giggle as she started to poke him. She first poked his side before moving up to the tender area under his armpit. Suddenly, Praxis was wiggling and wide awake.

"You fight dirty, woman," he said, wiping the sleep from his eyes.

"I fight the way my teacher taught me," she teased.

"Fair enough. I need something to drink."

Praxis and Lysandra found Demetrios and Rastus in the other room. True to their nature, they'd been up for hours already, having risen before the sun came up. While sleeping in might have normally earned a joke from them, they were quiet this morning.

"How are you both feeling?" asked Demetrios as they quenched their thirst. "You're almost finished with the trials. And you've certainly come farther than anyone would have expected. Are you ready for today?"

Lysandra shared a look with Praxis before answering the question. "As ready as we're going to be. I can't imagine what they're going to throw at us, but how can it be any worse than what we've done already?"

Demetrios chuckled. "You have a point. I'm very proud of both of you for what you've done. And I know you'll make me proud today too."

There were so many things that Praxis wanted to say to that but he never got the chance. The elders arrived at that moment, and Rastus jumped up to let them in. Like usual, Medios was at the head of the group, and his eyes were cold and calculating as he glared at Praxis that morning.

"Are you two ready to hear your third and final trial?" asked Medios.

"We are," said Praxis confidently. "Tell us."

"Very well. Your third trial will be your hardest yet," explained Medios. "For this next trial, you will be asked to survive on the summit of blistery Mt. Oligyrtos for the duration of two days and two nights. It is the highest peak in this part of Arcadia, and the one that is most exposed to the elements, as well as predators. It is dangerous even for the well-experienced traveler just passing through, but you will make your home there for forty-eight hours. And you will do so without clothing, provisions, or weapons, just like our ancestors did long ago."

"Without clothing?" demanded Demetrios. "Surely that is too much, Medios! They'll freeze to death up there!"

"I have to protest that as well, Medios," said Lasos. "What point are you trying to make? Are you trying to give them an impossible task? They'll die of exposure on the mountain."

Orcus hissed at both men. "That is the task they've been given! Unless they want to fail the trials, they must do what they've been asked!"

"I'm afraid my son is right," said Medios, shaking his head. "The trials aren't supposed to get easier. They are meant to test a person to the very ends of their physical and mental limits. Though what Praxis and Lysandra have achieved together is considerable and admirable, this is the only task worthy of being their greatest test."

"You might as well ask them to take on the Spartan army on their own," barked Demetrios. "You'll kill them! And me with them!"

"Such is the fate of those not strong enough to stand the trials," quipped Orcus, once more looking around the house. Praxis knew that if Demetrios was killed in this process, Orcus would no doubt seek to take the house for his own.

"Do we have any objections from the participants?" asked Medios. "Or will they accept the third trial that's been given to them?"

"We will accept it," said Praxis confidently. "And we will be back after forty-eight hours. I can promise you that."

Medios smirked at him. Praxis wasn't sure if it was a smirk of doubt in his confidence or whether it was a grudging admission of respect for his gumption. Either way, the old man nodded his head.

"Very well," replied Medios. "You will leave in the next ten minutes. Strip off your clothing and head straight for the summit. Good luck."

"And stay warm," added Orcus on his way out. Praxis vowed to kill him someday, knowing that his death would be very deserved.

Demetrios looked distraught as they started to undress in preparation. He looked like he wanted to say everything and nothing at the same time.

Finally, Praxis put his hands on the older man's shoulders. "It'll be fine. We'll be back. I promise you that. Until then, just wait for us."

Demetrios nodded his head only reluctantly. "Take care of yourselves up there. The weather turns very quickly at that elevation. Staying warm is the key to survival. It won't be easy."

"No, it won't be," said Lysandra, already looking out the window. "Praxis, come see this."

Praxis moved quickly to see what was distressing her. One look out the window was all the confirmation he needed.

"There's a storm rolling in," he said. "It's going to be a very unpleasant day."

Praxis felt Lysandra's hand creep into his. They were going to need each other to survive the next two days.

It would be their greatest test yet.

Chapter 64: Surviving the First Day

The icy rain was already starting to get to Praxis.

It had barely been an hour since they left the village but it had been raining for most of that hour. It started off softly enough, a few raindrops here and there that mostly felt good against his face but that didn't last long before it was raining heavily, soaking both Praxis and Lysandra to the bone. What made it even worse was the total lack of clothing to absorb some of the sting of the cold.

Instead, they were shivering as they ascended the mountain.

For the most part, Praxis kept up the same path as he had the day before, when they were trying to find the alpha wolf. The key difference was that instead of dipping into the valley, they kept moving along the spine of the mountain, following a path that would lead them to the top.

It was a treacherous path as well, full of rocky, jagged rocks that cut their feet. There were also several sheer cliffs that were a bit too close to the path, ensuring that one wrong move could easily send them careening to their deaths.

Before they'd even neared the summit, Praxis could see that this would be their hardest test yet. Already cold and bleeding from his feet, he was ready to go back to the village. If only that was an option.

Once they reached a point just below the summit of the mountain, they found someone was waiting for them. A familiar face, Praxis recognized it as one of the elders. He was accompanied by someone who could have only been his son judging by the facial features. They guarded the only pass to the summit.

"Praxis and Lysandra, my name is Chilon, and this is my son, Evios," announced the elder, confirming Praxis' suspicions. "You are nearing the summit of the mountain. Once you go beyond this point, you will have reached the point of no return."

"We understand," said Lysandra as she wrapped her arms around her body, trying to preserve her warmth.

"This path in front of you is the only path to the summit," explained Chilon. "Because of the sanctity of the trials, my son will stand guard on this path until you come down after two nights have passed. Any attempts to come down before that time will mean that your trials have ended with failure, and I'm sure that you two remember what the price of failure will be."

"We will not fail," promised Praxis. "Not in our last trial."

Chilon gave them a nod of respect. "I do not believe that you will fail either—not with what you've accomplished thus far. Good luck to both of you on the summit, and if I can give you one piece of advice, use your bodily warmth to survive the summit. You'll need everything you can get up there."

Praxis and Lysandra thanked the elder for his advice and continued to move forward. As they stepped onto the summit path, Evios fell in behind them, blocking off the exit to the summit.

They were committed now. There was no going back.

Lysandra reached over to offer her hand. Fear danced in her eyes.

"Let's get to the top," said Praxis, taking her hand.

Lysandra nodded and they continued on, losing sight of Evios behind them as they ascended the rocky path. The closer that they got to the summit, the more the path narrowed until they came to a point where it was no longer possible for them to walk side by side. Moving onward, they came to a small clearing, a flat plain where they could catch their breath for a moment.

Luckily for them, the rain had stopped by this point too, opening up the skies.

"You can see so far up here," noted Lysandra as she moved closer to the edge. "I can almost see the village down there."

"I wonder if anyone down there is looking up here at us," replied Praxis. "I'd bet we'd make a comical sight right now, naked and still wet."

Lysandra started to laugh. "Probably. I hope it's not Orcus though. I don't relish the idea of him seeing me naked."

"If only he was down there right now," said Praxis. "Then we could just roll boulders until we squished him."

"Now that's a delightful image," said Lysandra with a grin. "Save one for Medios while you're at it."

"Consider it done."

They continued to look down the west side of the mountain until Praxis moved toward the east side. Though they were too far away, he thought he might be able to see Argos just in the distance. He wondered how the city was doing, and whether they were adjusting to new leadership. Although, he winced as he thought about Xanthos as a leader. He would be worse than Damian, if that was even possible.

Mostly, he thought about others still left in the city like Ariston, Xanthos' younger brother. He also thought about Astara. Though he knew that as Xanthos' wife she would be safe from reprisals from the Spartans, he still hoped she'd managed to come through the turmoil without getting hurt. Although Astara would always have a soft spot in his heart, he didn't think about her as often as he once did.

It was just that Lysandra had filled so much of his heart. The tiny but fierce redhead had snuck inside when he least expected it and made herself at home. Though he would always remember Astara, he had to admit that if given the choice, he would pick Lysandra over her.

"What are you thinking about?" asked Lysandra moments later, as if she sensed the presence of another woman. "You've been very quiet the last few minutes."

"Just wondering how things have been in Argos, that's all. There are still people left there that I know. I hope they're well."

"Do you ever think about Astara?"

Praxis' mouth fell open. "Am I that easy to read? Or do you have some hidden talent for reading minds?"

Lysandra let out an adorable giggle. "Maybe my talent is for reading your mind. She's probably doing just fine though. I doubt Xanthos would let anyone hurt his family."