The Argive Ch. 131-135

Story Info
Argos and Corinth prepare for war.
10.2k words
4.86
4.5k
8

Part 27 of the 28 part series

Updated 06/12/2023
Created 07/10/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CJMcCormick
CJMcCormick
2,498 Followers

Chapter 131: Brothers

For the next two days, Praxis rarely left the training grounds outside the city.

There was an incredible amount of work to be done and almost no time to do it. At any moment, Praxis could get the word that the Spartan army was on the march, and that would spell doom for the city with their current state of readiness.

He needed more men. Only a pitiful hundred Argives had responded to the call on the first day. A few more trickled in here and there, but there was no shortage of those coming from the city to watch their training, no doubt trying to figure out if they stood a chance against the Spartans.

For most of them, they took one look at the spear phalanx and went home.

Not that Praxis could blame them. The Messenians were the only ones competent enough to run the phalanx, and so far the Argives were making a royal mess of copying it.

"Horn of Hades, stay on your damn feet!" barked Asterion to one Argive in particular, a fresh-faced youth not much older than eighteen. He'd been marching with his unit when he missed the order to halt. The youth tripped over his own feet and landed on the ground.

To make matters even worse, his fellow Argives didn't try to help him up. Instead, they were content to taunt the poor youth.

"Never should have let Thorax into this army," remarked one warrior, who was positioned next to Thorax in line. "He's better off selling bread in the market than being out here."

"He'll get gutted by the first Spartan he comes across," commented another.

It got even worse from there. Another man broke out of his formation and grabbed Thorax by the back of his armor.

"Get on your feet, Thorax!" urged the man, who Praxis guessed to be his brother judging by his similar physical attributes. "Can't you hear them taunting you?"

Thorax gave the other man a look of daggers. "I don't need your help, Hippias! I can do this on my own!"

"From where I'm standing, you look like you need all the help you can get!"

The two men looked about ready to come to blows before Asterion sidelined them both, making them sit in the shade of an olive tree to cool off. They were still grumbling to each other when Praxis approached.

"Something tells me you two are brothers," said Praxis, watching as both young men instantly stiffened and stared at him with wide eyes. "Either that or cousins. Which one is it?"

"Brothers, my king," said the younger one. "My name is Thorax, and this is my older brother, Hippias. There's only a year between us in age."

"I can tell," said Praxis. "You could probably pass for twins if you really wanted to. Either way, I'm glad you two are in my army."

Hippias huffed. "I'm not sure why."

"Hippias! That's the king! Watch what you say!"

"It's the truth, Thorax. We suck. We're not catching onto this spear phalanx thing, this formation. We're dragging everyone down."

That statement appeared to be right on target. Hippias was hardly any better than his younger brother, and the two seemed like they had a long way to go if they were going to stand toe-to-toe with the Spartans.

If anything, they seemed like they would benefit from some guidance.

"How long have you two been fighting?" asked Praxis. "Not just with the spear phalanx but in general?"

Thorax looked at Hippias, who answered for both of them. "On and off for the past year or so. You see, our father was old when we came along. He never had the ability to teach us, and he really didn't want to since our mother died young. He died recently and once he did, we started learning on our own."

"But it was obvious we didn't have a natural talent for it," finished Thorax. "As you can see today."

"We're all beginners at some point," said Praxis. "And what I'm asking you to learn isn't easy. I'm sure it feels pretty unnatural compared to fighting one-on-one."

"Unnatural is an understatement," replied Hippias sourly. "It's just downright awkward."

"It gets easier," said Praxis. "But you have to practice and keep practicing. It wasn't all that long ago that I couldn't even do it but I learned. I know you both can too. You still want to be here, don't you?"

Thorax looked at Hippias, who answered for them both again (a pattern that Praxis was starting to detect). "We do. We just want to be useful though. I want to know that I'm making a difference on the battlefield. That the army won't be better off if I just stayed home."

"Trust me, that's not the case," said Praxis, chuckling. "I'd take a hundred more of each of you right now. We'll never defeat the Spartans with our current numbers."

"My king? Then what are we doing here?" asked Hippias, cutting to the heart of the matter. "If we can't stop this, then why are we here? What's the point?"

Hippias wasn't wrong in his assumptions, and Praxis feared he spoke too brazenly. He shook his head quickly.

"Wecan defeat the Spartans. And we have to lead by example. The more men that learn the phalanx, the more confident we become. The more confident we become, the more we inspire others to join. That's how we defeat Sparta. If there's any words of wisdom that I can give you both today, it's stick it out. Practice. This is within your grasp, even if you think it's not. Argos needs you, and I need you too."

"We're with you, my king," promised Thorax.

Praxis wasn't sure how solid his commitment was, especially since Hippias gave his brother an odd look right after he uttered it. But it was certainly better than nothing.

"You better get back to training," said Praxis. "It was good to meet you both."

With those last words, Praxis left the brothers behind, wondering what would become of them. Could the army still win if it were filled with men like Thorax and Hippias?

Or was Praxis just fooling himself in the long run?

*****

It wasn't much longer after the king departed that Thorax felt a hard nudge in his side.

"What are you doing?" hissed Hippias.

"What do you mean?"

"'We're with you, my king?' Why would you promise him that?"

Thorax blinked. "Why wouldn't I? We're here, aren't we?"

"But we suck!" exclaimed Hippias, quickly cutting to the heart of the matter. "We could either be here or not be here and it wouldn't change a thing."

Hippias had a point. There were many times throughout the course of the last two days where Thorax thought he would just be in the way of any battle. And while his brother was just a tiny bit more fluid on his feet, they were still leagues away from being competent fighters.

"You might be right but I want to be here," said Thorax before nodding his head in Praxis' direction. "He needs us. Our city needs us. No one wants to see the Spartans come back, and if we don't stop them, that's exactly what's going to happen."

Hippias grunted and crossed his arms in front of his chest. "Maybe they'll have better use for us when we die. At least they can stack our bodies to slow the Spartans down, right?"

Thorax started to laugh and sprung to his feet before giving a hand to his brother. True to form, Hippias growled at his extended hand and pushed up on his own, ignoring the help. Such was typical for Thorax, who had always had a turbulent relationship with his elder brother, stemming from when they were kids.

He thought that perhaps joining the army and learning to fight might just be the thing that brought them together, but even now, it just seemed to push them further apart.

"Come on, let's go to that formation right there," said Hippias, pointing to a group of new arrivals who were just doing their first moves. "Those men only showed up this morning. They won't know how badly we suck yet."

"But what about our old groups?" started Thorax before he looked behind him for the rest of Asterion's group. His heart sank when he saw how easily they were getting along. Someone had even slid into his old slot, and they were doing a much better job than he could have done.

"Never mind," added Thorax moments later. "Let's go to the new arrivals."

As it turned out, there were even problems with this group. As Thorax was corrected for perhaps the hundredth time that afternoon, he couldn't help but wonder if maybe he should have just stayed at home. Maybe Ares didn't bless him with fighting spirit after all? Maybe he was just fooling himself to think that he belonged here?

Either way, he was tired of being made to look the fool. Hippias didn't have much of a showing either, and when the men were dismissed for a water break later that afternoon, they found themselves the target of attention from the commander of the group.

At least Cilix was a familiar face.

"You boys are really struggling with this formation," noted Cilix between sips of water. "And you don't seem to be getting any better."

Thorax didn't know what hurt more--the idea that they were doomed to ineptitude, or the fact that someone like Cilix could see it so easily.

While his statement upset Thorax, it only served to make Hippias angry.

"It's this stupid formation," growled Hippias. "It's completely unnatural! It's just downright strange! Asking all of us to fight so closely and coordinate our movements, it's just not what men do. We're not sheep!"

"No, no, we're not," replied Cilix, chuckling to himself. "Nevertheless, it's what we must do."

"But why though?" pressed Hippias. "Can't we make an argument for fighting in the traditional style? As we're all accustomed to?"

Cilix shook his head vigorously, dismissing the thought. "No, we cannot. This is the formation that King Praxis wants, and more importantly, it's the style that's allowed him a considerable amount of success already. We need to use it, especially if we are to be outnumbered by the Spartans, which is almost a certainty at this point."

Hippias kicked a clump of dirt with his feet. "Then I guess we're just doomed."

"You know, there are other roles that might be better suited for you men," noted Cilix. "Non-combat roles. The army always needs to eat. I could put in a good word with the king if you think it would be a better use of your... skills."

Thorax knew immediately what he was trying to do. It was a subtle suggestion to do something else. That they didn't belong on the field, said in a manner that wouldn't upset them.

Cilix was trying to give them a way out to preserve their dignity.

And yet, why was the idea so repugnant to Thorax?

"We're staying here," replied Thorax firmly. "And we're going to learn the phalanx even if it kills us."

Again, he could feel the heat of Hippias' glare but nothing further came out of his brother's mouth.

Cilix registered some surprise at the statement but ultimately, he shrugged his shoulders.

"I just thought I'd make the offer," said Cilix. "It's getting late though. Why don't you men go home for the evening and let's start fresh in the morning, no?"

Thorax started to nod. It was getting late and after falling on his ass nearly a hundred times today, he'd worked up a hunger.

Cilix dismissed the rest of the men from their formation and they started to make their way toward the city.

Once again, Thorax felt the nudge from his brother as they walked.

"Horn of Hades, why didn't you take his offer?" hissed Hippias. "You really do want to die out here when the battle comes?"

Thorax's own response surprised him. Perhaps he was just tired of listening to Hippias grumble the entire day. Perhaps he was tired of having everyone doubt him. Whatever the reason, he grabbed his brother by the elbow roughly.

"I meant what I said!" replied Thorax. "I'm going to learn this if it kills me. You have a choice! You can leave but I've made my decision. Now you need to make yours!"

With those words, Thorax let go of Hippias' elbow and marched away.

Chapter 132: Resentment

It didn't take long for Hippias to catch up as the two brothers returned to their home in the city but if Thorax expected any words of sympathy, he was mistaken. Hippias walked by his side but said nothing, leading a long, tension-filled walk until they arrived at the front door.

At least Maera was already home. Their older sister was the only family they had left, and she had bread waiting for them once they'd removed their armor.

Dinner was a quiet affair. Thorax retreated to his room instead of having to stare at his silent brother. For some reason, it was just easier this way. Though he knew that things couldn't keep going on like this, he preferred the solitude of his bedroom to the certain argument he would face if he stayed around Hippias.

In a way, it had always been like this, even when they were younger. Hippias was born with a chip on his shoulder against his younger brother, and nothing that Thorax did could ever make it go away. The worst thing was that there appeared to be a genuine relationship between Hippias and Maera, which so often had her filling the role of peacekeeper.

No matter how many times Thorax tried to get to the root of Hippias' antagonistic behavior, he never got the answer he needed.

So he stopped trying. For the longest time, he stopped trying to fix the relationship he had with his brother, even for several years. He just accepted the fact that he and Hippias would never be close. Strangers who just met each other ten minutes ago would always have a better relationship than the one shared between Thorax and Hippias.

And that was what made their desire to fight more frustrating.

Thorax was content to ignore his brother for the rest of the evening, but Hippias seemed to be in a fighting mood, especially when he showed up at Thorax's door about an hour later.

"I was thinking," said Hippias, right after taking a mouthful of bread and chewing it loudly. "Maybe you ought to start counting your steps when you march. That way, you won't mess up so easily as long as your count stays the same as the other men."

Thorax resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Here his brother was again trying to give him unsolicited advice. Especially when he had a similar problem with falling too.

"I'll keep that in mind," replied Thorax acidly.

That wasn't enough for Hippias though. He kept prodding.

"And your thrusts need work with your spear," added the elder brother. "At the current rate, your spear would bounce off an enemy warrior instead of actually piercing him."

"Perhaps you ought to show me how it's done then?" retorted Thorax, losing his cool. "Since you're the reincarnation of Achilles himself."

Hippias glared at him. "I'm trying to help you, you fool."

"You're better off helping yourself before you try to help me," snapped Thorax. "You're not much better."

"I'm still better though. And you know it."

"Congratulations to you then. You're the second shittiest warrior in the army," mocked Thorax. "I'm sure that will help you stay alive for an additional five seconds after I die. All the good it will do you."

Hippias took a threatening step forward. "You want to go outside? I'm still bigger than you and I will destroy you, younger brother!"

"And what will that prove? Nothing!"

"It will shut your mouth right here and now!"

"Like that matters, you're just a big idiot with an even smaller brain--"

"Stop it right now, both of you!"

Both brothers jumped as Maera forced her way into the room. She might only be a hundred pounds and a full head shorter than them, but no one knew how to stop a fight like their older sister.

"Bickering again!" yelled Maera while her glare bounced off both of them. "And for what? Nothing? Some silly argument? I'm sick of it!"

Hippias started shaking his head. "Maera, it's not like that--"

"It is like that," she insisted. "It'salways like that. You two have more in common together than anyone I've ever met and yet you're always at each other's throats about something that happened so long ago, it means practically nothing anymore."

That was an interesting statement, and something that Thorax latched onto right away. What could Maera be talking about?

He was still left in the dark, but judging by Hippias' reaction, he knew exactly what was being said.

"It wasn't that long ago," replied Hippias, crossing his arms. "And it was a pretty important event."

"You need to get over it," said Maera. "And stop holding your brother accountable for something that's not his fault."

"I'm lost now," said Thorax. "What are you two talking about?"

Both Maera and Hippias looked at him like he was stupid, which didn't make him feel any better. Maera was the first one to relent though and she put her hand on his arm.

"You two need to talk without fighting," she advised. "And you need to remember that the gods made you brothers, not enemies. Stop lashing out at each other and figure out a way to move forward peacefully."

With those words, Maera walked toward the hall and slammed the door behind her. The meaning couldn't have been any more clear. She wanted them to fix it before they left the room, which to Thorax seemed like the equivalent of being told to drain the ocean.

At least there seemed to be a starting point. Maera and Hippias clearly knew something that he didn't, and it was the reason for all the strife.

"What is she talking about?" asked Thorax moments later. "What happened so long ago that you blame me for?"

Hippias grunted. "Nothing. I don't want to talk about it."

"We have to talk about it. If we come out of her without hashing things out, Maera is going to beat both of us."

"I'd almost rather take the beating," grumbled Hippias.

"Stop being so stubborn!"

Thorax could feel himself getting heated now. None of this was right, and the fact that Hippias couldn't even fill him in on the missing piece was getting more infuriating by the second.

"You're my brother, and the one person in this world besides Maera that I feel should always have my back," said Thorax. "And yet, I have a feeling you'd leave me to die on the battlefield just to be rid of me."

"How can you even say that?" replied Hippias. "I'm the one who pulled you off the ground countless times today."

"More out of obligation than any general fondness," spat Thorax. "Well, fine, you don't want to tell me then so be it. I'm done trying to win your approval. We might be blood but we don't have to be anything more. Tomorrow, I can join another group to practice the phalanx without needing your help--"

"You killed our mother."

Thorax's statement caught in his mouth upon hearing those four words. Even Hippias seemed surprised that he said it, as he stopped glaring for a moment and assumed a more neutral expression, like he was happy it was finally out.

"What are you talking about?" asked Thorax. "Our mother died in childbirth."

"Right, she died birthing you," said Hippias. "You're the reason she died. If you want to know what I truly have against you, it's that. You robbed us of her."

It was painful to hear, especially considering it wasn't intentional.

"I can't control that," replied Thorax. "You think I wanted her to die? I was just a baby. You were still practically a baby. That kind of thing just happens, Hippias. Why hold it against me?"

"Because we had nothing once she was gone," said Hippias. "Even Maera will tell you that. Father was too old to take care of us, so Maera had to do so much on her own. It destroyed our family."

"You make it sound like I took my sword and did the deed in cold blood," said Thorax. "You know that's not the case."

"I know that but it still doesn't change anything. She's gone and she's not coming back."

Thorax threw his arms out to his sides. "What would you have me do, Hippias? Do you want an apology? Because I'm sorry. I'm sorry that she wasn't strong enough to handle my birth. But do you really think she would want so much strife between us? Especially considering the circumstances we find ourselves in? That's not what she would want."

CJMcCormick
CJMcCormick
2,498 Followers