The Ascent of the Angelic Ch. 08

Story Info
Rhys and Mehira return home to a new future.
3.6k words
4.85
592
3
0

Part 8 of the 8 part series

Updated 03/14/2024
Created 01/19/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After some travel, the two found themselves in another abandoned home sheltered above the city. It wasn't long before they were completely bare once again, but rather than joining as one, they merely enjoyed each other's exterior. The two were on their sides atop a bed. Rhys' hand had settled on her hips, while Mehira stroked his cheek. Their legs interlocked. He took note of an elaborate design right about where her navel would be. Perhaps since she was molded, that was her mark of birth?

"What do you think will become of us now?" Rhys asked.

Mehira turned slightly to look out at the darkened city. "Better things," she replied. "Far better."

"I worry I've sullied--" A finger came to his lips.

"You have not sullied a thing. It was my choice alone to lock ourselves in the bonds of eternity. No matter what events that might transpire, I cherish it, even now." She pulled her hand, presenting the ring.

Rhys nodded. "I don't think I could have imagined being so blessed." He smiled softly. "I must sound so awfully repetitive now. Just that words can't express the joy I'm feeling." The world finally made sense. To find companionship was right. Only he hadn't expected it to be with the heavenly.

"Then stow your words." She pulled him into an embrace, laying his head above her breasts, nestling into her nape. "Enjoy the rights of our union." Her words echoed through him. "I had not expected such a messy outburst from you, Rhys," she said with a giggle.

"And the one to yell out the name of the Lord?"

"It certainly was not in vain if that is what you say," she replied, a smile in her timbre. Rhys hummed as he buried himself further into her neck. It almost felt surreal to be here in this very moment. Having this large, fiery woman lie down on the bed next to him. Though her once bright flame had simmered down to more like a wavering light, flickering like an ember.

"If this center ever truly is saved. This city. Do you think you would like to live in a tower like this?"

"We have a home to form and make our own, do we not?"

"Oh, right." It had hardly been a day and it felt like his time in that small town was eons ago. Did anything even remain of that pile of matchsticks? Hopefully. He'd had enough adventure for his whole life. A good time to be fulfilled on that front, he supposed, considering there was a new chapter of his existence to begin.

"That is for another time. How is your leg?"

"Fine, for the most part." Dressing up the truth. In reality, Rhys had put far too much pressure on his leg during the rendezvous with Mehira. It pulsed with a dull pain that was frankly a sort of badge of honor now. "I'll be fine in a day."

"I am sorry that my healing is no match for that of Prosa's."

"You are healing enough." Not that he even wanted to talk about Prosa. Rhys didn't know whether he should still be perturbed that Prosa sent Mehira here alone, or thank him for the opportunity to get to know her. And commit to her. While a smatter of doubt lingered in his mind about the union, he resolved to enjoy it for the day. After all, Mehira was still here. In this very moment he could hold her closely. "Do you think it would be safe to stay the night here?"

Mehira raised her head to look at the door. "I do not need to fall under the spell of sleep." She ran her hand through his hair. "I will protect you."

Rhys pulled away. "And if I have to protect you?"

"Then I expect you to fight with all the vigor and might that dwells within you."

"Even more."

Mehira turned her head and stuck her hand out in the air. "It is a more than excellent adornment, however, perhaps we should return it to its rightful place?" She sighed. "Though it pains me."

"I would think that it would only go forever unused, maybe even sullied by the sinned."

She turned back to him. "Perhaps... Perhaps this one particular instance it would be best to see it adored and cherished."

_

Vacating the room in the morning was a taxing affair. As Rhys dressed on the bed, he stared out at the city, now bathed in a bright gold. Mehira insisted to continue on her pilgrimage. That was fine. He had already agreed to follow her to the very ends of the Earth. What worried Rhys now was the ramifications of their relationship. No doubt Mehira could see the uncertainty underneath. In a way it was refreshing not having to keep up a facade of comfort. On the other hand, not being able to comfort a loved one with the emotional mask was disheartening. He couldn't even pretend to be alright.

The angels, as far as Rhys knew, still needed messengers. It wasn't as though their bond was broadcast for all the heavens to see. Yet at the same time, with the enigmatic nature of the cherubim and what other angels there were, they likely had some way to tell. Large ring aside. Mehira presented her ringed hand to help him up.

"Thank you," Rhys said with a nod.

Mehira returned the gesture. She knew the uncertainty of the situation. All they could do now was venture out into the world. Rhys picked up his pack as Mehira set her last piece of armor in place. It was time. The pair prayed and then apologized to those who once owned the room and set off.

While the trip out of the building took some time, Rhys hardly felt its length at all. In his head rolled a pained thought. He pictured Mehira's beauty. He pictured their time together. He thought about the life they could live. Might live. As they approached the entrance to the building, that possibility of happiness seemed to shrink with every step. Mehira opened the entrance.

There, out in the open, flanked by two cherubim, was Prosa. This was the end of their union. The angelic Authority would rip it cleanly to shreds. Though there was something off about the angel, as if he were tired or somehow uninterested in this affair. His posture wasn't at attention, nor was his halo in a spinning frenzy.

"Prosa," Mehira said with a nod. She came to a stop.

Rhys quickly settled against her side. If they were to part, he would stay by her to the very end.

The cherubim hit their weapons at the ground, causing Prosa to stand at attention.

"Mehira, and the protected, Rhys," Prosa began. "Your continued light is a blessing."

"Likewise. May I ask the reason for this visit?"

Prosa's halo picked up speed. "Your... pilgrimage is to come to an end. The center is no longer your concern." Rhys' eyes widened.

"Have I failed in this task?"

"No. No, you have succeeded." It almost sounded like he wanted to append "apparently" to that sentence. "The cherubim urge you to return to the village and embed yourself as its guardian."

Rhys quietly sighed in relief.

"What was the pilgrimage?" Rhys asked. After all that, he had to know.

Prosa shook his head. "Freedom, protected Rhys. Freedom." That didn't answer his question, but he wasn't going to pry any further. "A freedom that many have pained and bled over."

"A freedom?" Mehira asked.

"We are not to question this development. That is all." Prosa bowed his head and marched off with the cherubim in tow.

Rhys could only stare in wonder. His curiosity grew when one of those faceless angels stopped and looked back at him, sending a chill up his spine. Then they slipped out of sight.

"Even now. Mystery permeates every aspect of our existence," Mehira said with a tilt of the head.

"I understood one thing. We can go back," Rhys said. They could go back? All of that and it was simply over? No grand demon to slay? No location to reach? And they could go back without another worry. "That's all that matters," Rhys said aloud. That didn't quell his mind of any curiosities. He looked to where the other angels had left, almost expecting them to come back with an explanation. "Shall we head back then?" Rhys asked. He reached his hand out to Mehira.

"Freedom of what?" Mehira asked as she looked out into the distance. She turned back to Rhys and took his hand. "I suppose in any case, this is a better development. Having accomplished... something." Mehira had managed to slay a couple of beasts, but other than that, nothing came to Rhys' mind as a true hurdle. Unless it was-- The man shook his head. That made no sense. If anything they wouldn't look on that union so kindly. He was already lucky enough Mehira indulged him in that love.

Without much more to do in the center, the two retraced their steps out. Rhys watched the tall towers gleam in the morning sun. Having managed to survive in its walls made it feel all the less dreary. The impending dread that something might crawl out of its depths had all but disappeared. Instead a hollow sadness replaced the fear of the center. What was once here, what was once alive, could be reclaimed again. They might even find that freedom Prosa spoke of.

"Do you wish to be like this when we return home?" Mehira asked. She raised their joined hands.

"Would something be wrong with that?"

"Not within my heart, yet the townspeople may find the thought of our union to be distasteful. Frightening, even."

"I suppose that's true." People like Christina might have joked or even vaguely entertained the idea, but it was unlikely they'd ever act on it. In a way, Rhys realized, that made him the most demented of the townsfolk. That was fine. He didn't have the best reputation after that demon stabbing stunt. "They'll find out eventually. I suppose we'll let them realize it first." He tightened his grip. "We can enjoy it for now."

"We most certainly can."

They passed through block after block of the city. The morning sun brought a scant few birds to dance between the buildings. Life would return here soon enough. They passed by that magnificent jewelry shop, past the quiet park, making a wide berth around that den of sin, and cleanly past that store of dresses. Then came the cherubim guards, who cleanly stepped aside for the pair without a word. Rhys briefly wondered if those were the same two that accompanied Prosa. For all he knew, they could be puppets of one larger unseen entity. That thought aside, they were finally out of the center, into the outskirts and on the proper road home.

"I see your friends have missed you," Mehira said.

"Pardon?" He squinted at the road, seeing two blobs standing on the road in front of them. One was wildly waving its arms. "Oh."

"Shall we part the union for now?"

"I-- I suppose," Rhys replied, face tinging with embarrassment. He was more than happy about their makeshift marriage. Displaying a marriage so openly among others was a different matter. Their hands slipped apart, but Rhys felt its presence linger for some time.

"Hey there!" a familiar feminine voice called out. "Enjoy your trip?" Why was Christina here? And Edwin? His arms were firmly crossed instead. The couple walked up to them and were assaulted by another cheery yell. "There's our warriors!"

"Edwin." Rhys nodded. "Christina." No nod.

"Now just what in the hell do you think you were doing?" Edwin asked.

"Not the warm welcome I was hoping for, friend."

"Oh he's just a bit worried is all," Christina replied. "On account of you being the first to go into a center. Nearly on your lonesome too." She subtly motioned to Mehira. "Ah, welcome back guardian."

"A warm greeting to you both," Mehira replied.

Edwin stepped up to Rhys. "How did you ever imagine that"--he grabbed at Rhys' arm--"walking around like this was a good idea?" He paused and stared at Rhys' limb, clearly noting the lack of burnt flesh. His voice lowered. "Is this some angelic thing?"

"Yes, somehow that was Prosa's doing," Rhys said.

"The big fellow," Edwin said. "I thought all he was good for was stomping skulls."

Christina piped up, "You should've seen him. He was crushing skulls with a large hammer and popping them like warts."

"Great mental image," Rhys replied with a wince.

Mehira giggled.

"That aside," Rhys said, "why are either of you here?"

"You think people wouldn't notice if you happened to gather materials to leave?" Christina asked.

"I guess I wouldn't expect the average person would notice. I should have known, that you aren't."

"I will take that as a compliment," Christina said with a nod. "And who would want to know if their friend left on a deadly trip with a guardian?" Edwin placed his hands on his hips. "Then it just took a little piecing together to notice that the big one wouldn't leave without good reason."

"Truly, exceptional friendships," Mehira said.

"You could say that," Rhys replied.

"I thought it'd be fun to see you come back, and certainly it was," the human woman said. "I've got to go secure a lunch now." She walked off with a nod, clearly happy about the little event. That left Edwin and Rhys alone, with Mehira to stare on.

"I hope you found whatever it is you were looking for," Edwin said.

"Apparently so," Mehira replied.

"Did it happen to include that stab to the leg? A good reward, hm?" Edwin sighed.

Mehira stepped forward. "My apologies, protected Edwin. My swiftness was outmatched by the separation of flesh. Demons tearing asunder to form two. This will never occur again."

"Stopping Rhys from doing something stupid? I don't believe that's possible."

"Perhaps," Mehira said. A laugh bubbled in her voice. She looked to the road back to the village. "I had best make my presence known. Soothe the woes of worried villagers. Will you be alright here, Rhys?"

"More than alright. I'll meet you there," he said with a nod.

Mehira nodded back and went about her way.

"I assume you want to grill me more over the trip?" Rhys said

"I admit, I wanted to yell at you more, but considering you're in one piece, I can't say I can complain." Edwin ran his eyes up and down Rhys.

"Still fine, as you can see," Rhys said.

"And somehow I feel like something's wrong." Edwin crossed his arms and closed the gap between the younger man. "Like there's something different about you."

"Can't say I know what you mean."

"You know, I hadn't seen a ring like that since I was a child."

Rhys averted his gaze. "I've never seen one."

"Don't tell me your bizarre fascination got the better of you."

Rhys paused, eventually shaking his head. "It's not bizarre."

"Oh come on!" Edwin threw up a hand. "I had thought it was a harmless fixation before, but you actually went and did that?"

"And what's wrong with that?" Rhys asked.

"You really must be deaf. How are you supposed to make a family with that?" He motioned at the road. "That protector not of this Earth, and in a few days? She'll be gone. Replaced with another. Are you going to start it all over again with that one?" He huffed. "Provided it's a she I'm sure."

"Mehira won't end up like those others, I'm certain of it." Rhys turned his head. "And there isn't a chance I'd replace her with anyone."

Edwin sighed. "I'm sorry. I just don't want you getting hurt over this." He placed a hand on Rhys' shoulder. "When you left, I thought for sure you were off to... Well, get yourself killed." The younger man looked to Edwin. "And now that you come back with an angel like that, I can't imagine what would happen to you if something should happen."

Rhys chuckled and patted Edwin's hand. "I'm glad I can count on someone to look after my sorry hide." He pursed his lips. The older man was right. For a bride, Mehira was under constant threat of attack. He had already given up once on the world. What would another hit like that do to him? "I understand though. I'll keep her safe."

"Just like I said, impossible to keep you from doing anything stupid." His hand dropped from Rhys' shoulder. "And the other angels? They know about this?"

"Not that I know of." Rhys shrugged. "Maybe they do."

Edwin went wide-eyed. "Then I pray they don't treat this as a blasphemy." He shook his head. "The things you get into."

"Mehira certainly didn't mind." Well, at first she did.

"I know she didn't. Otherwise you wouldn't be head over heels for the 'woman.' And there certainly wouldn't be a ring stuck to her finger." Edwin furrowed his brow. "You did that too, didn't you?"

Rhys put on a sheepish smile. "It's a marriage, Edwin."

"I pray for your soul," he muttered. "We should head back before anything that followed you slithers in."

"Of course." Rhys followed after Edwin, still burning from embarrassment at the question. Not only did he marry something not of this Earth, he decided to make love to it too. That was going to be an awkward realization for many.

_

Rhys slunk back into town with Edwin. The older man gave him a nod of acknowledgment and went off to do his own thing. No one seemed to really pay Rhys much mind. He was back in the everyday world as if nothing had happened. In a way, he was glad not to be swarmed by many people asking about the other world that was the center. Although he was slightly disappointed that the grandiosity of such an event was lost to everyone except him and Mehira.

The man trekked back to his home, or what remained of it. Mehira stood nearby, looking at the wreckage of the building. Several people took wide berths around her. All the better for Rhys. He sidled up next to her, enjoying the angel's presence once again. "Welcome back home, Rhys," Mehira said. So bad jokes weren't a sin after all.

"Likewise, Mehira," the man said, chuckling. He stopped once he realized the large amount of work ahead of him. There wasn't a chance Rhys would let Mehira go without a home. Not a grand one that could match the heavens, but one that was at least modest. And with a larger door too. Fortunately the taboo of the sinned's touch meant that whatever remained was still ready to be reused.

Mehira set her spear down and stepped up to the wreckage. "Shall we?"

"Oh no, I should get to work on this." Rhys set the pack down.

Mehira hummed. "I do know the championing of masculinity, but allow me to help."

"Alright, if you insist."

The couple went to work piling up everything that was ready to be repurposed in their new home. Few people passed by to gawk before continuing on their way.

Mehira spoke up, "Do you believe this relationship will be fruitful in this society?" She piled on another chunk of wood.

"You already have their respect," Rhys said. He pried off some slag.

"And not fear?"

Rhys paused. "Awe, I would say." Awe that nobody could match.

They continued on for hours until not a scrap of the wreckage remained strewn about. Rhys sat down on one of the last remaining chairs in his home with a huff. It was only midday and it felt like he had done so much. "I have been pondering our situation," Mehira said, leaning against the chair.

"Something wrong?" Rhys asked. He perked up, worried about it.

"Not at all. I was curious about the objective of the pilgrimage, still deep in thought as to what it was we accomplished." She looked down at Rhys, halo spinning slowly. "I wonder. Was it our communion?" Mehira asked.

Rhys looked back. "Do you truly think that was the entire point?"

"I do not know. The freedom of love?" What else could it have been? Mehira had said they didn't indulge in romance. Yet how could they have known? Rhys paused. Had the cherubim conspired for this? To make them close? "You believe the same as I. The cherubim, correct?" There was a solemn tone to her words.

"That's what I had thought. Yes," Rhys replied. He slunk into his chair, worried about those implications. "They had planned for it then? For us?"

"I do not know." The angel placed a hand on his shoulder. "I do know that despite all of what that brings, I still love you. I cherish your soul. I only wonder what that love brings. Freedom. Pained and bleeding freedom."

"Chosen freedom?" Rhys mumbled. Chosen two.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing, nothing." Rhys stood up. "No matter what the cherubim had planned"--he grabbed her hands--"I know that I love you. Not swayed by the heavens or any of the creatures on Earth. Only by you." Whether it was God's plan or not was of little consequence now. He knew what he felt. He knew what was expected of this relationship, and now that it was joined in this union, he would follow through with it.

12