The Assassin's Bride Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then Carina jolted upright with shock, sending water over the edge as a sudden crash sounded from the doorway.

"W-what?" she exclaimed, crossing her arms over her chest.

Risking a look, she realised Michael had fallen for her booby-trap, overturning the carefully-balanced table when he'd silently edged the door open.

"What the fuck Michael!" she shouted, as his stunned face peered around the door's edge. "Go away!"

"You set me up!" Michael accused, sounding slightly sheepish but also indignant as he gently eased the door wider to survey the damage.

Flushed with excitement, embarrassment and anger, Carina glared with such outrage that Michael couldn't help laughing.

"I will admit I wasn't exactly doing the right thing..."

"GO AWAY!" Carina shrieked, starkly recalling the last, humiliating time he'd watched her pleasure herself and horribly surprised her during climax.

"I just wanted to watch," he protested, his mouth setting in a firm line, feeling cheated. His cock was very hard.

"And I just wanted to have a bath!" Carina snapped, using her hands to gather what was left of the bubbles around her body to block his view.

"I knew exactly what you were up to. Come on, Carina. Your sex-drive was never exactly a secret," Michael said dryly, squashing irksome memories of hearing Eduardo pleasure her through the walls. "Of course I knew what you were up to. I just wanted to see. You wouldn't have even known I was there."

"Yeah? Like the last time you fucking ambushed me?" Carina snarled, and Michael rolled his eyes, unable to deny she made a fair point.

"That couldn't be helped. I promise this time I would have just watched."

"Well, the answer will always be no."

Michael's smug silence was surprisingly aggravating.

"I mean it!" Carina fumed, hugely antagonized by the look on his face.

"If you say so," he answered mildly, but with a suggestive smile that made Carina wish she had enough strength to hold his head underwater.

They stared at each other - Michael with open lust, and Carina with withering contempt. Seeing Carina naked in the bath was definitely putting Michael's resolve to the test.

"Alright, I'll leave..." he said reluctantly, standing completely still and making no move to depart.

"Really? This year?" Carina exploded, and Michael snapped out of his amorous daze and burst out laughing.

"Fuck, you do make me laugh. I'm sorry, Carina," he chuckled. "I can't help being mesmerised by the sight of you."

Carina didn't reply, but coldly raised an impatient eyebrow.

"See you at dinner," Michael murmured, his eyes darkening as they moved down her elegant features to the curves of her breasts, barely visible beneath the water's surface. Then he finally left her alone.

Heaving a sigh of relief, Carina listened for a while to make sure she was alone before staring down at the rippling water with troubled eyes.

*********

"What are you doing?" Carina asked, lifting onto her forearms to watch Michael again stride to the edge of the boat and peer into the water.

"Just checking," he muttered, and Carina rolled her eyes.

"You are so paranoid," she pouted, turning onto her back.

Michael forgot to reply, as his eyes fell on Carina's red bikini. Finally, he remembered what he was doing. With one last careful look over the edge, he returned to flop onto this stomach beside Carina.

"Our jobs varied," he murmured, reaching to playfully tug a strand of her dark hair. "It wasn't unusual to spend time in the water, and climb aboard..."

Carina briskly rolled to her side to face him.

"You would scuba...?" she questioned, full of curiosity.

"Let's just say if I saw him appear from over the edge, it wouldn't be a huge surprise," he said dryly. "I don't expect it, but I don't not expect it either."

With a last unreadable look at Michael, Carina went to roll onto her back, but Michael seized her arm.

"How did you connect 'Tate' with 'Tatum'?"

Carina's jaw dropped.

"Did you think I would never find out?" he asked quietly, releasing her arm. "That I don't routinely check surveillance?"

Knowing there was no point in a denial, Carina shrugged. "I was out of ideas. I know Tate meant something to you. And I like Channing Tatum. I didn't expect it to work."

"Funnily, that was the basis of the nickname."

Carina looked confused and he impatiently rolled his eyes. "Tate looked like him. As a favour, Tate installed the door mechanism for me. Then, as a joke, that was his demo password. I meant to change it, I just never got around to it before..." he broke off, and grief briefly shadowed his face.

"So... Tate was the mechanic, Gavin was the thief, and you were the killer?" Carina slowly clarified.

"It depended on the job. There were duty overlaps," Michael said shortly, irritated that she seemed to isolate him from the others as a murderer. "It often fell to me to ensure a practical getaway. But it was not below them to kill, when convenient."

"So..." Carina looked slightly amused. "You were like Charlie's Angels? But the dude version?"

"No," Michael flatly replied, unimpressed by the analogy. "We were completely independent. We didn't take orders and we chose our work. If a job was big enough or required more specific skills, we would reach out to each other."

"So..." Carina repeated in an annoying exploratory tone. "You were like hookers for hire?"

"Are you trying to irritate me, Carina? Because it's working."

Carina quickly lost her sass, knowing she pushed her luck.

"Will you ever tell me what happened?" she probed.

"Not today."

Preparing to lie on her back, Carina started as Michael stopped her again.

"Kiss me," he murmured, drawing her closer.

"Michael-!" she protested, alarmed. "But.."

"No, Carina," he answered quietly. "I've behaved myself and it's been killing me. This isn't breaking the deal."

"But I don't want to," she said numbly, suddenly afraid.

"Just relax, sweetheart," he murmured, edging closer and cupping her face.

Hesitantly, Carina allowed his lips to move over hers. Stroking her face, he gently guided her to kiss him back.

Eyes wide open, Carina tried to feebly edge back, but Michael tightened his hold on her chin warningly. Managing a brief glance between them, she could see he was fully hard.

"Please-!" she whispered, managing to avoid him for a few seconds before he captured her mouth again. His other hand shifted and Carina felt his fingertips trace the curves of her cleavage with a feather-light touch.

Finally he released her, appraising her beauty with an intense excitement in his eyes.

"Never beg. It drives me crazy," he huskily confided, softly brushing his lips over hers before releasing her and laying back.

Carina froze in a shattering moment, realising in all the time she'd known him, Michael had never explicitly confided in his sexual preferences. She knew he loved women in lingerie, but that was unremarkable as far as male proclivities went.

All those days, nights, hours, occasions she had confided in Michael about her own experiences and desires, he had listened as a friend would, but never shared his own tastes. Now, it made sense because he watched her as his single item of desire, unable to disclose fantasies that inevitably involved her. The very first time he'd taken her, she'd begged desperately.

With a last frightened look at his erection, Carina briskly rolled onto her back and stared up at the sky, wondering how long Michael would honour his side of the bargain, and if she would always live in fear.

*********

Halfway up a tree, Gavin stopped climbing and raised a pair of binoculars. Scanning the mansion, he moved on to inspect the surrounds, pausing on the boat-shed.

"Maybe," he murmured, looking unconvinced. Continuing his surveillance, he finally straightened and peered carefully through the lens at a small shed at the back of the house.

"That's more like it," he breathed, lowering the binoculars. Before beginning his descent, his attention was caught by a faint, feminine sound. Thoroughly confused, he quickly raised the binoculars and adjusted focus.

Finally his view settled on Carina and Ethan on the balcony. This wasn't unusual, he'd watched Carina many times on that balcony. When she was with Ethan there was always a closed, petulant expression on her pretty face which was no less adorable than her coy demeanour.

But this was different, the noise Gavin imagined he'd heard was verified - Carina was laughing. Gavin's eyes narrowed, watching them play some kind of board game.

Though her body language was not encouraging or flirtatious, Ethan was clearly interested. But most bafflingly, they were drinking wine together, and Carina was more relaxed than he'd ever seen her in Ethan's company.

Stumped and feeling another unpleasant emotion fill his chest that he couldn't quite place, Gavin slowly lowered the binoculars, his mind whirling.

Had Carina faked an interest in him, then changed her mind? Had he been reeled in like an idiot? Did Ethan win her over somehow?

"We'll see," he murmured, shrugging off his initial feelings.

Gavin felt emotions like anyone else, but he never let them get the better of him. His instincts told him Carina was genuine, and yet, what he witnessed made no sense.

**********

"What?" Carina asked, noticing Michael grinning at the trees.

"Oh, nothing," he said lightly, returning his attention to their game.

Though unconfirmed, he could almost sense Gavin watching them. He could imagine Gavin's confusion, witnessing Carina, the damsel in distress, having a good time with her supposed captor.

The thought make Michael suddenly roar with laughter, and Carina stared with astonishment.

"What's so funny?" she persisted.

"I'm not laughing at you, I promise," Michael coughed, pulling himself together with a huge effort.

Michael knew Gavin wasn't a player, and that he hated being played. With a heart not easily touched, if Gavin suspected Carina led him on, Michael suspected it wouldn't be long before Gavin fucked off the island and moved on. Though it wasn't exactly a concrete resolution. Inevitably Gavin would return for the ashes; he was stubborn that way.

**********

Carina looked doubtfully at her reflection, discomforted by the feelings it roused. It did feel good to dress up again, but she was ultimately dressing up for Michael.

"Knockout," Michael smiled, crossing his arms in a reassuring gesture, silently conveying he wouldn't feel her up then and there.

It was a full-length, glittering black-sequined dress with a slit up one side. The sequins sparkled various shades of black and deep-green with her movement. Her shining dark hair was prettily plaited down one side, curling attractively over her shoulder. Michael's pendant settled on her chest, looped through a white gold chain. Earlier, he'd surprised her by placing it around her neck before she had time to object.

When initially opening the present, Carina wondered whether it would be romantic, or relate to their prior existence. Disturbingly, it was both. It was a beautiful flower pendant, identical to one Michael had gently arranged in Carina's hair one memorable stormy night. It was after Carina had a particularly upsetting fight with Eduardo, before he left for a job with Carlos.

As usual, Michael stayed behind as her babysitter, but he also counselled her. The flower's symbolism was more unsettling by the fact it was made up of Carina and Michael's respective birthstones, the delicate crystals glittering in perfect harmony with the dress.

"It is a little much," Carina said uncertainly, looking back at the mirror.

"Not at all," Michael grinned, running his eyes over her from top to toe. Also dressed more formally in a pale yellow linen shirt and beige pants, he looked very attractive. The sort of guy that would charm any in-laws at a first meeting.

"Will you wear heels?" he asked hopefully.

"Indoors?" Carina looked unimpressed, but her heart raced as Michael's eyes darkened. She knew that look.

"No heels. We should eat," she quickly added, running her fingers up the base of her plait in a nervous gesture.

"Good idea," Michael agreed, moving back to give her room to pass. "I am very, very hungry," he added with emphasis, his eyes still devouring her.

Irritably blushing, Carina raised her chin and stalked past him to the balcony.

Candles lit the area, and soft music played in the background.

"Isn't this a little dangerous, considering we are right in a jungle?" Carina pointed at the candles.

"To see you in a setting like this, the risk is worthwhile," Michael cheekily answered.

"I don't want to drink tonight."

"Why not, Carina?" he queried, pausing in the act of uncorking an expensive red. "You only drink in the day?" he joked.

"I just think..." she said uncomfortably, smoothing her hands down the textured dress. She didn't really have an answer.

"Is it because this is seeming a lot like a date?" Michael asked bluntly.

After a moment's hesitation, Carina nodded.

"Well, I don't know what to tell you. You shouldn't fear having a good time with me." Michael said slowly, de-corking the wine with a brisk tug. Without looking at her, he filled two glasses and handed one over.

"You can force me to spend time with you, but you can't make me drink," Carina said quietly, not moving to take the class he offered.

"That is true. There are a lot of other things I can force you to do, than keep me company and drink wine," he said plainly, grinning as Carina stiffly accepted the glass.

The time they spent together normally started out this way. Carina was cold, and it took a while for her to relax and let her guard down. Eventually, she genuinely enjoyed herself when she felt confident that Michael wasn't on the verge of pouncing on her. Michael suspected she wanted to stay sober for fear alcohol would make her more vulnerable to his advances.

"I cannot believe how amazing you look in that dress," he remarked, carefully watching her face in the flickering candlelight. "It just gives your eyes this incredible, purple glow."

Carina shrugged a shoulder and continued eating. "Are you going to tell me what happened?"

"What do you refer to, Carina?" he countered warily.

"With Ga-... You know."

"Ah. Wait till after dinner."

Carina sighed impatiently. "What about Carlos? Is he getting closer?"

Michael downed his wine and reached for the bottle. "Goodness, Carina, your conversation is grim tonight. Change topic."

"What about your work?"

"My work?"

"You said the job you had now was demanding," Carina recited Michael's admission from a more unpleasant time.

"Jesus, Carina," he grimaced. "I turned it down." He saw her mouth open to ask more questions and gave her a warning look. "I really do not want to elaborate on that. It is a sore topic, ok?"

Carina widened her eyes at her dinner in a look that suggested he was being overly sensitive.

"What would you like to do tomorrow?" Michael asked, reaching for a grape and popping it into his mouth.

"I don't know," she said flatly.

"Now you're sulking?"

"Well, I can hardly say much without you overreacting."

"Tone down the sass. Right now, Carina. You are on very thin ice," Michael smiled, with an alarming looking brightening his dark eyes.

"And you are being unfair," she muttered.

"Yes, I am," Michael conceded, tightening his grip on the wine glass. "I am being unfair because I do not want to talk about the death of one of my best friends. Because Carlos is drawing closer than I would like. Because I felt compelled to hurt my reputation and turn down a good gig for fear you might be abducted while I'm away."

Carina tensed, almost sensing his anger grow as he began to stack one grievance on top of another.

"Because you are sitting there looking like every man's fantasy and I can barely touch you... Fuck!" he grated, and Carina jumped as the glass in his hand gave way to pressure and snapped in his fingers.

Carina fixed her eyes on the table as Michael briskly cleared the mess he'd made. The incident sobered him, and soon Michael returned with a new glass and seated himself opposite, somewhat recovered from the earlier conversation.

"I'm sorry," he quietly. "I didn't plan to be a bastard. My fuse is short tonight."

Carina stared at him apprehensively, and not without disgust.

Breaking their gaze, Michael thoughtfully drummed his fingers on the table.

"Years before I even met you, before I took the gig against Carlos..." he quietly began, looking out past Carina into the night.

"There was a big job that required all three of us. And in this line of work," Michael shrugged. "There will be unexpected events we must adapt to, very quickly. I am talking life-or-death changes."

"We were all positioned as planned when... something went wrong. I was surprised by three men. It was looking very dire, until Gavin intervened. He was always the better fighter, I was the best marksman. Tate..." Michael took a deep breath.

"Tate had lined a set of explosives to go off. A distraction, to ensure a simpler getaway. When I'd run into trouble, our plans changed like the flip of a coin." Michael briskly rubbed his face.

"I was forced to retreat, immediately. Gavin continued on to obtain what we'd been paid to procure. Tate followed Gavin, to cover him."

"Tate asked me to alter the settings on the explosives, to give them more time. It was an easy task. But instead, the explosives went off early, right as they passed over them. Gavin was knocked into water, and Tate was instantly killed-" Michael broke off, looking bitterly emotional. Carina was stunned to see his eyes glittering with tears.

"Gavin never forgave me. He even went so far as to accuse me of intentionally triggering the explosives, but I knew he spoke in anger and he later apologised for what he'd said. But still, he never forgave me. At great personal risk, I fought tooth and nail to get Tate's body back. I had him cremated, as were his wishes, and I kept the ashes. Maybe I don't deserve them, but if it weren't for me, there would have been no body to cremate so..."

"I'm sorry," Carina murmured. Without thinking, she reached to squeeze his hand.

At her affectionate touch, something snapped inside Michael, and he immediately dragged Carina across the table and into his lap.

"Mi-" Carina protested, but he seized her plait and painfully forced her face down to meet his lips.

Before Carina could catch her breath, his mouth was on her neck, his hands forcefully roamed her body, making it impossible to disengage herself.

"Don't! Michael, stop!" Carina cried out, straining away from his mouth.

"I promised not to fuck you," he said thickly, tugging the v-neck of her dress. The delicate material gave way, sequins sparkled in all directions and Carina's breasts popped out in Michael's face.

"Oh, God, help me," he muttered, licking up the curve of her cleavage before catching a nipple between his teeth.

"Michael, please!" Carina begged, pushing at his broad shoulders. But she was no match for him. "Michael, you're scaring me!"

"What are you afraid of, Carina?" he said roughly, looking up into her horrified face. "Are you afraid you'll start to enjoy yourself? Are you afraid you'll like this?"

His hand slid up the slit of her dress and brazenly stroked her pussy.

"You're being a pig, just like Carlos!" Carina shouted, seizing his wrist and tugging, but he didn't move, his fingertips boldly tracing her.

Michael shut his eyes and savoured the intimate positioning, her breasts exposed for his mouth, the silky feel of her panties, until a voice spoke in his mind. It was his calculative, Ethan persona that knew vulnerability lapsed his control, and brought out the worst in him.