The Author

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It's a sad comment on our society, but all the stores and all the malls all look the same. OK maybe the plants are different, or the Starbucks kiosk is located in a different walkway, or there are a few more "high end" stores in richer areas. But all and all, if you've seen one mall you've seen them all.

So here I was in the front of a Barnes and Noble Book Store signing books and forcing a smile on a very weary face, when I spotted a familiar face in the line.

"Shit! That's my former step daughter, Jackie." I looked at my schedule and realized I was in my old home town.

I took one of my cards and handed it to an assistant saying, "See that blond in the red coat about 20 people back in line?"

"Yes sir."

"OK, hand her this card and say, 'your step father would like you to call him on his cell phone, He'd like to meet for coffee'. She won't recognize the name on this card otherwise."

I saw my assistant hand her the card and deliver my message. Jackie looked at him as if he was crazy and then looked to the head of the line at the card table where I was sitting. Her face went from curiosity, to amazement, to tears. She clutched the card to her chest, stepped out of line and nodded "yes" when she saw me looking.

Sue, my publicist, commented," She's a little young for you, Mendon."

"She's Mary's daughter," was my reply. I could see the light go on above Sue's head and hear the wheels turning. I wondered what stunt Sue was planning next.

A few hours later my entourage and I were sitting in a franchise Italian restaurant waiting for Jackie to arrive. I was sitting in a corner facing the wall with my back to all the restaurant patrons.

I had to sit this way because I didn't want my dinner interrupted by fans. I've had perfect strangers pull up a chair to my table and start discussing my latest book as if it was a true story instead of fiction. Some people were just plain rude.

Our waitress informed me that the rest of my party arrived, but there were too many of them to fit at this table. The next thing I knew we were escorted into a small private dining room and I was attacked by my step daughter and all her children.

My youngest and self proclaimed "favorite" granddaughter got to me first. I thought I was going to be squeezed to death. She just wouldn't stop. Then her older brother pealed her off me and basically took her place.

Finally there stood my step daughter, Jackie, with tears in her eyes and a hanky in her hand. Jackie wrapped herself around me. I put my arms around her and felt her body wracked by great big sobs.

While her face was buried in my shoulder, I whispered in her ear, "Hi honey I've missed you. Your family is looking mighty fine. "

"Please call me Mendon. I'll explain later." I added.

"I don't care what you want us to call you; just don't you ever leave us again. You're the only parent I have now." She replied.

"No I'm not, I found your mother. She's the homeless person my cab hit in NY City"

We took our places at the table and started a long overdue family reunion with Jackie's kids. My grandson Bryan turned out to be the assistant restaurant manager in training where we were eating, thus the private room. My granddaughter Ann was sharing an apartment with a girl friend while they both attended a local Jr. College.

And Jackie was living in a small house in the city and working split shifts as a waitress to pay her bills.

I covered my last ten years with her. Starting with my move to Honolulu and living with my sister there, to my first published book and then my rise to fame.

At last I asked about my ex-wife Mary. I wanted to know why she ended up homeless in NY City. Jackie explained that her sister Katie and husband had Mary put in an Adult Care Facility and took control of all Mary's assets.

Mary was in her early 40's when this all happened. But she looked 60 because of her heavy drinking.

Mary lasted two years there but then one Sunday when Jackie stopped to see her mother, she found that the home had not seen Mary for over a month. The police were called but because Mary was an adult and legally in full control of her faculties, there was not much they could do.

Then it was my turn, I explained how I found Mary while in NY City and the condition she was in then. I discussed her alcoholism, her liver and kidney damage, the coma and the memory loss.

Things became very quiet at my end of the table as I continued my tale.

I talked about the treatments Mary was undergoing and the fact that the doctors were optimistic about her recovery. All of them wanted to see Mary, but I explained that visiting her was not permitted for at least the next few months and then we could only visit with the doctor's permission.

My publisher's assistant spent part of the evening rearranging my schedule. When she got done I was set to meet my family for breakfast, and then board a private jet for our next stop which would realign me with my schedule.

It was agreed that I would return to see them when my tour was over.

As we were leaving, I took Jackie aside. "I need a Personal Assistant to help me with this tour and my next book. I'll double what you are making waitressing." She hesitated.

"Jackie, I can afford to fly you back to visit your kids or fly your kids out to visit you. Plus I'll need you when they say your mother is ready to leave the treatment center. Please accept, I don't want to lose you again"

With tears in her eyes, she accepted. She then ran to share the news of her new job with her family.

++++++++++++++++++

The next two weeks were busy for both me and Jackie. I was back on the 10,000 city (or at least it seemed like it) book tour. Jackie had to quit her job, pack up her apartment, put it temporarily into storage and tell all her friends her new Hawaiian address and phone numbers.

She had the most work to do; I just got a sore buttinski and writer's cramp from signing all the books. Financially speaking a nice problem.

When Jackie was ready, I had tickets reserved so that she could catch up with my tour. I talked to her about her upcoming travel and found out that her kids were not taking her to the airport, because they were all committed to other actions during that day. They were saying goodbye the night before.

I changed Jackie's flight. I chartered a night flight that allowed her kids to come to the airport and say goodbye. I even arraigned for a limo to pick them all up and take them to the airport then home. I later found out that it was a tearful goodbye.

Jackie is one of those people that everybody likes. She's cute, crazy, and always happy and will talk your ear off. From the minute you meet her, it seems as if you have been her best friend forever. Those attributes captivated the flight crew and gained her some new friends.

When I got to the airport to pick her up, I found her in the crew's lounge having coffee and snacks with her new friends. Someone on the crew recognized me, "Mr. Fishers, May we offer you some coffee?"

"Don't you call my Dad Mr. It's Mendon to you guys," Scolded Jackie.

I smiled and nodded, but refused their offer of coffee explaining we had a long drive and a busy day ahead of us tomorrow. They helped carry Jackie's luggage out to the rental.

+++++++++++++++++++

It had been a hectic book tour. I was bushed and couldn't wait until I was home and able to climb into my own bed. The beds in the various hotels were all very comfortable, but there is just something about getting into your own bed that can't be beat.

After landing in Honolulu I had Jackie walk out of the terminal and grab a taxi with enough room for our entire luggage, while I went to the luggage carousel. I grabbed a Sky Cap and between the two of us loaded the entire amount of luggage on a cart. It was a big load.

Jackie showed up and guided the Sky Cap and me out to our ride. The poor driver saw the amount of baggage on the cart and started talking on his two way radio. After he finished his conversation, he walked over to us, "It will be about 10 minutes before a larger van arrives to carry your luggage. "

I gave the Sky Cap $50.00 and he agreed to guard our baggage until the van arrived. We got in the taxi and started home.

Now my house is in a gated community on the side of one of the hills overlooking Honolulu and the ocean. When I first moved to the island, I thought I'd buy something on the ocean front near Waikiki, well the only available property on the ocean started at $20,000,000! I like beach front property, but not that much. So I bought on a hill side.

Jackie was impressed as the taxi wound its way up the hill. The beauty of the island was more evident the higher we climbed. She ran her mouth all the way up until we entered the gates. My house was the nicest one on the hillside. It so impressed Jackie that she got very quiet.

My house keeper, Iolani, was waiting at the door to greet us. I introduced her to Jackie and off they went chattering away leaving me and one of the gardeners to await the arrival of the luggage.

When the luggage van arrived, Iolani and Jackie by some telepathic miracle showed back up. They had decided on a bedroom and bath suite for Jackie at the opposite end of the house from mine. Her suite was in the same wing as all the guest bedrooms. My master bedroom was all alone overlooking the city and the ocean beyond.

Iolani and Jackie gloomed her luggage and departed for Jackie's bedroom to get started on the unpacking. My unpacking was very easy. Most of my clothes went right in the laundry. I think only my shoes and belts didn't need to get washed. The next thing I did was shower and change into a t-shirt and shorts. Home is better than good.

At lunch Iolani said "we are off now because Jackie does not have any clothes suitable for the Hawaiian climate. The two of us are going to the Ala Mona Mall, so pony up with your Gold Amex card." I did as I was told and they vanished as I'm sure a chunk of my estate would soon go into another's coffer.

I knew I was in trouble because Iolani was a spender, especially when it came to spending my money. I spent the rest of the afternoon transferring all my writings on my newest book from my laptop to my home network and then backing everything up. I then caught up with my e-mail.

It was almost dark before the women returned. Strangely they only had a couple of shopping bags between the two of them. I was stunned but happy until Iolani informed me, "The truck will be delivering the rest of the purchases tomorrow morning." Then she quickly bailed to her home and family.

Jackie and I went down the mountain into the city for dinner. We decided on Italian so I drove us to Auntie Pasta's where we ate in comfortable family style.

The next day started our routine. We were both up and dressed by 8:00 am. The coffee that Iolani set up the night before was ready to go by the time we were. Iolani arrived at 8:30 and stared breakfast. Jackie and I discussed our plans for that day.

After breakfast I locked myself away in my office because on average I tried to write for at least three to four hours a day. My writing was not to be interrupted.

Jackie was to sign on a PC in her little office and answer all the email she could and make further arrangements where necessary. She was also in charge of answering the phone.

This arrangement worked for us. Jackie was a smart woman and resolved 95% of her tasks without any help from me. The only things I really had to do were corrections demanded by my editor. If I could have figured out a way, I would have had her doing that also so I could devote more time to writing.

I liked the writing but not the correcting. I couldn't help it if some of my time lines went off. Let's face it; I guess the fact that some of my characters had children before the character was born might confuse some of my readers.

+++++++++++++++++

It was about a month later when my comfortable routine was interrupted by Jackie knocking on my door.

"There's a doctor on the phone. He wants to talk to you about Mom," Her voice sounded scared.

I took the call fearing the worst.

The first thing out of the doctor's mouth was, "I'd like to discuss Mary's treatment with you. How soon can you be in my office?"

"I live in Hawaii!"

"So, I'll ask again, How long before you can be in my office?"

"Shit doctor, you're 4,000 miles away, I have a book in progress and deadlines to meet. Can't we do this over the phone?"

"No," the bastard replied. "She's making progress and I want her to meet you again."

"OK, I'll have my PA set the trip up and get back to you. Oh by the way should my PA accompany me?"

"Why shouldn't she?" he asked.

"She's Mary's youngest daughter."

"Good point, I'll make the decision whether or not to let them meet after I talk to the daughter."

I hung up and planned to walk down the hall to Jackie's office. When I opened the door to my study, I discovered Jackie outside sitting on the floor with her knees drawn up to her chin. She had that scared little girl face.

I dropped down next to her and said, "It wasn't bad news. She's making progress and he wants her to see me. Please set up a trip for us."

"Us?" she asked.

"You don't think I'd deprive you of a chance to see your mother?" I replied. "So get started. The sooner you make the arrangements, the sooner we'll be there."

With tears in her eyes and a smile on her face, she ran back to her office.

At lunch she said, "Is tomorrow too soon to leave? I've got all the reservations made."

"No hun, I'll have Iolani start packing this afternoon," I answered. Her face lit up like a 1,000 watt light bulb.

We caught an 8:00 am flight to the main land the next morning.

+++++++++++++++++++++

After we landed in LA, I arranged to have our luggage delivered to our hotel and grabbed a Rent A Car. Jackie and I started off on the long drive north to the clinic. Jackie got quieter the closer we came to arriving at the sanatorium. When she saw the wall and the gate, she started softly crying.

The doctor met us at the entrance. He was in his mid 50's and casually dressed in a pair of jeans and a golf shirt. As I looked around I noticed all the people were casually dressed. The only giveaway was the electronic badge the doctor wore. I noticed that only some people wore the badge. My guess, that later proved correct, was that only staff had a badge, guests didn't.

During the introductions the doctor handed Jackie and I visitor's badges. He began...

"Hi, I'm Bill Kelly. Please join me in my office and we'll discuss Mary's progress and further treatment." Jackie was openly crying by now.

Bill started, "Jackie you can stop crying now. I'm not going to give you any bad news. You're Mom is doing very well considering how much she abused her body."

"Health wise she's doing as well as can be expected. We estimate that she has been an alcoholic for most of her adult life. The woman you both knew is not who she actually is. Her personality was affected by her drinking, "he continued.

"Now physically, her body has healed as much as can be expected. Both her liver and kidneys are functioning at a reduced level, but if she stays away from alcohol, she can have a normal life. We have got her weight to near normal."

"Mentally, now that's another question. And that's why we are here today," he added.

"She is showing reduced brain function. The old saying about drinking killing brain cells applies to her. At present we have her functioning as an adult. She can feed herself, dress herself and complete basic functions. But she has no memory of past events. So far as she's concerned, her life started one morning when she woke up here."

Jackie reached over and took my hand. She started squeezing it a little too hard for my comfort.

The doctor noticed but he kept on talking, "We found two framed photos in the items that were sent to us from NY. Now that I've met you Mendon, it is a photo of you and Mary at a formal event. The second is of you, Jackie, and two small children. "

"We put both pictures on the desk in Mary's room. She ignored them until about two weeks ago. On that day we found her sitting in her chair holding both pictures to her breast and rocking back and forth. I talked to her about the pictures and all I got from her was, 'They must be import to me but I can't remember why'. That's why I called you. We need to see if we can jog her memory, and that's where you two come in"

We spent the next hour discussing strategy and what Mary's reactions might possibility be. At one point all the coffee I had drunk wanted out. Bill said he'd join me.

When we were standing at the urinals he asked, "OK Mendon, what is the problem. I can see that you're not thrilled."

"I hate her Bill. I would have been perfectly happy to never have seen her again. You see my publicist in New York promoted this whole thing to boost book sales. The only good thing that has resulted from all this is that I have Jackie living with and working for me."

"I guess we have a problem then, don't we?" he said and walked over to the sink.

"Can you pretend for a little while longer?" he asked.

"I don't see any other choice," I replied.

"Thanks. I'll work out an exit strategy for you when the time appears right."

It was back to his office and another round of discussions. We broke for lunch at noon.

We were sitting in a cafeteria that was shared by the staff and patients when I noticed a very frail little old lady heading my way. She was wearing a plain house dress and flat shoes. Her hair was short and completely white.

"Another fan," I thought. "I guess I have them all over."

As she got closer, she started to look familiar to me, "Excuse me but do I know you? They tell me my name is Mary."

I heard the sound of silverware hitting the floor and then Jackie's voice, "Mom is that really you?"

Jackie lost all control and grabbed her mother and broke down in tears. Poor Mary just stood there. I realized Mary didn't have a clue what was going on, but liked the attention.

Bill injected himself into the reunion and walked all of us back to his office.

Mary and Jackie never let go of each other hands for the rest of the afternoon. I stayed out of the conversations and sat in the rear of Bill's office, trying to be invisible.

When Mary started showing signs of greater confusion, Bill suggested that she return to her room and rest. Mary would not let go of Jackie's hand, so we all walked to her room together.

In Mary's room I noticed the small writing desk with Jackie's picture on it. I wondered where mine was. I spotted it sitting on her bedside table. It was tilted so that she could see it from her bed. As Jackie was helping her climb in bed, Mary told Jackie that our picture made her happy, but she didn't know why.

An allergy I didn't know I had kicked in and my eyes started watering. Bill looked at me.

"Just something in my eyes," I said. Bill just smiled.

In case you're curious why she didn't recognize me, the picture was taken 20 years ago at a benefit dinner we attended for a children's charity. Today I am a few pounds heavier and my hair was a lot shorter. I had Lasik eye surgery and no longer need glasses. Oh yeah my hair is also very white now. So I guess I do look a little bit different.

That night in bed in my motel room I had difficulty falling asleep. My mind kept wandering back to the good times I had with Mary. When we first got married everything was perfect. We lived in a two bedroom townhouse. I suspect that we had sex in every room a lot of times while we lived there.

Then we bought the old farm. While it was only a couple of acres it had a carriage barn , detached three car garage and a large two story farm house which was build in 1866. Mary and I tried to christen every room the first year.