The Author Pt. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nodding he listened for a while and then refused to discuss details on the phone. After a moment more listening, he agreed to a meeting at two this afternoon.

After he hung up he said. "I'm going to suggest a couple things. First, we should be willing to discuss the bondage ranch in the abstract, or perhaps general hypothetical manner."

Bill drew in a deep breath of air and pursed his lips. "Why?"

"They won't be satisfied with my assurance, it's already too big. They will need at least a general idea of the ranch, if only in a hypothetical and off the record manner." Jon said.

Bill sighed. "You've read the document, how specific can I get?"

"No names, or locations, that's a given. However I think you can discuss the safety procedures and policies, generally, and of course hypothetically. With the understanding that it's not to be quoted to you at all." Simmons said.

"Possibly, I'll think about it." Bill allowed.

Simmons nodded. "Second suggestion, since you are not exactly unknown at the moment, allow me to order Lunch in, and we can work on some of the details."

"That's one I'll say yes to. I've been too tense to eat for about a day now." Bill admitted.

Simmons nodded and then pushed the intercom button on his phone. "Becky we'll be ordering lunch in, I can't very well have my client mobbed by people on the street who think he's guilty."

Becky appeared at the door and walked to Simmons' desk handing him a hand full of menus.

Simmons took the menus and handed them the Bill. "Whatever you like Bill."

Bill glanced through the usual assortment of Chinese, Pizza, and sub menus. Handing one over he said to Becky. "Grilled chicken sub, mayo, chips please Ma'am."

Becky nodded and turned to Jon. "Roast Beef for me Becky. Get something for yourself unless you have plans, I really do need the next couple days clear."

Becky said "Thanks, nothing special planned for today Jon. I'll get on this."

They were going over questions and details of both the Farm's activity and Bill's own history when the sandwiches arrived. Bill was answering more questions about himself than he had in a very long time. Before he had gone into the Lawyers office, he had turned the phone off and kept it off. It had to be Jennifer, Monica, or both, and he didn't have time to debate the wisdom of his plan. He needed to focus on it. After some consideration he turned the phone on again.

As soon as it went through the power up cycle, it showed a dozen missed calls. Half a dozen voice mail messages waited for him. The text message icon began flashing. Three text messages from Jennifer, all begging him to call, one from Monica, asking the same thing.

He called Jennifer and had a short conversation with her, explaining that he was in a lawyers office, and working the plan as fast as humanly possible. With any luck, this mess should be settled in another day at most. Just say away from the house, and keep your head down.

Hanging up the lawyer said. "She's been through a lot lately hasn't she?"

Bill nodded. "I would say so. More then I would ever wish for her to endure."

Looking at his watch the Lawyer said. "I'm going to use the restroom, and then we should go Bill, the US Attorney considers himself too important to wait on mere civilians."

Bill smiled and nodded his understanding. Taking the opportunity to answer natures call he walked with the lawyer to the BMW that Jon drove. A fifteen-minute car ride later, they were walking into the US Attorney's office. Ten minutes later they were in a conference room with two other people.

Bill sat quiet while Simmons outlined the position, and offer that Bill was making. The FBI agent, Johnson, sat frowning. He kept looking at Bill as though through his stare, he could browbeat Bill into confessing. Bill smiled thinly. Dexter, the Assistant US Attorney, sat with his lips pursed listening to the offer.

At the end of the explanation from Simmons Dexter turned to Bill and said. "Mr. Carter, we'll be happy to accept your statements, and even happier to get them proven by a lie detector test. The questions aren't negotiable, and the results can't be made public, much less sworn to in public."

"In that case, our next step is clear, Mr. Carter and I will walk away." Simmons said. "We'll arrange a drug test with a reputable laboratory, full testing including hair follicle sample, and a polygraph with multiple video cameras. At the end of the test, the tester, again one known to be reputable, will sit down before the cameras of the O'Bannon show and walk the public through the test and demonstrate where Mr. Carter is lying, or telling the truth."

Bill sat silent while his lawyer paused and then continued. "In the very next breath of air, after the results of both are made public. The story will be not only how Mr. Lyons has lied about Mr. Carter, but also how the Prosecutors office here refused to take any action to publicly clear an absolutely innocent man. Instead allowing that man to be in essence pilloried in the court of public opinion. I can tell you what the Editorials in the paper will be, if you can't imagine it."

The prosecutor frowned again and glanced at the FBI agent. He could well imagine exactly what the Editorials would say, and what his boss would say, and the questions from Congress and the Department of Justice.

"Mr. Devon, My client is a public figure. He's prepared to answer questions absolutely clearing him of any wrongdoing or any illegal activity. In order to salvage his public and in fact professional life, he's asking only one thing in return. That either someone from your office, or the actual tester of the Polygraph make a simple statement attesting to such on TV, either the Bill O'Bannon show or similar show. Obviously conditional on if he passed the tests, the public assurance is obviously conditional of his passing the tests and satisfying this office that the allegations made to this office are in fact false."

"You said you would be willing to answer some questions. May I ask what questions Mr. Carter feels would satisfy this office?" Dexter asked.

"Certainly sir." Simmons said as he handed the four sheets with handwritten questions on them.

Dexter read the first sheet and then passed them to the Agent. After the fourth sheet he seemed to consider for a moment.

"The specific questions are in relation to the allegations, while anything to back up the specifics are in fact quite general and vague." Dexter said.

"Yes sir, they are." Simmons said.

"Mr. Carter, would you be willing to tell us about anyone with whom you have had intimate relations?" Dexter asked.

Bill frowned. Glancing at his Lawyer and getting a small nod he began. "Mr. Dexter, This is understood to be off the record, and if I'm ever quoted, I'll deny it."

Dexter frowned and looked at Johnson, who shrugged. This conference was already off the record as far as he knew.

Dexter agreed. Bill began. "I'm going to tell you about a club, one of a number of them. Call it hypothetical if you like. These clubs are organized around and for the exploration of Bondage. The activities at this club are strictly controlled, and always consensual."

"I'd like more information about these clubs." Dexter said.

"I can't give specifics. My attorney has read a non-disclosure agreement signed by myself. The only loophole in the agreement is if a crime is committed at the club, then and only then am I released from that agreement. Under this situation, no crime has been committed at the club, and if I give you any information, I'll be liable for ten million dollars in damages." Bill said.

Simmons spoke up. "Dexter, I've read these documents, and they are absolutely iron clad. It includes a power of attorney to allow the owners of this club to seize his liquidate any and all assets to pay any and all debts. It would also allow them to attach any and all earnings."

"I would want to be satisfied that the participants of this club are not molesting children." Johnson said.

"Mr. Johnson, we will allow questions pertaining to the fact that he is unaware of any activity where any of the participants are either under 21, or any of the activity being non consensual. I have been briefed on the clubs, and it would appear that they take great pains to insure that the participants are safe, as safe as can be expected in such an environment." Simmons said.

Dexter leaned back. "You're willing to submit to a polygraph test to that extent? Also make such statements under oath?"

"Yes sir, I am." Bill said.

"You understand that this is not admissible in court, and if you fail the tests, both the drug and the polygraph, all you're doing is confirming our suspicions?" Dexter asked.

"When we pass those tests, we expect someone from this office to be willing to comment to that effect in public." Simmons said.

"That's out of the question, this office doesn't make statements about an individual being innocent." Dexter said.

"You do in extreme cases, for example, Richard Jewell. If you don't agree to that Mr. Dexter, then our course is clear, and my statement to O'Bannon will be that you were offered the opportunity to get the information first hand, and refused because you were unwilling to publicly clear an innocent man, instead protecting a now proven liar. In effect, participating in the public humiliation of a law abiding citizen." Simmons said.

Dexter frowned again; the press would love that story. They would be screaming about Hoover still running the FBI and the DOJ.

Dexter picked up a legal pad and wrote a half dozen questions on the paper. Handing the Pad to Simmons he said. "I want answers to those questions before I'll agree to anything."

Simmons read the questions and handed them to Bill. Bill read them and frowned. If he answered those questions, he would forfeit the money, and his life for all intents and purposes. "Mr. Dexter, as I understand it, these questions would only be germane if I was shown to lie under oath, or under the polygraph about the accusations."

"That's correct Mr. Carter. However I want to know, the information would be confidential." Dexter said.

"Sir, the information would be too hot to remain confidential. This asks for names of public figures, and it would get out. If not from your office, then a secretary, or court reporter, or someone would leak it to the press. It's just too hot to keep quiet." Bill said.

Dexter ignored the insult and said. "I will personally guarantee the information's confidentiality sir."

Bill considered and then said. ""I'll make you a deal. I'll write the answers out, swear to them being true and correct, and then seal the answers in an envelope. I'll sign a document that allows my attorney to surrender that envelope to you if and only if I am found to have failed the test. My Attorney who has been briefed on the club can guarantee that the information on the sheets is the same as that which I told him this morning, which is the truth."

Johnson the FBI agent leaned forward and said. "I have one question before any deal is agreed to. Why would Jeremy Lyons lie?"

Bill leaned back for a moment and since the Attorney knew the answer he didn't have to take any time to brief him. "Last weekend, there was an altercation between us. I hit him, punched him in the nose. I did that because six years ago, he essentially raped a woman I'm familiar with. She identified him. He acknowledged the event, his version, in public the very next morning. When the facts became known to a club disciplinary panel, Jeremy was given a punishment he could not accept to maintain his membership. He is, or was a member of a sister club in another state. He knows about the agreements, has to have signed one himself, and this way he knows that I can't respond with the truth, I'd be bankrupted. I can't just stand there and say it's a lie over and over again."

"The statement can't be anything specific." Dexter hedged.

"Of course not. We merely want you to read a short statement similar to what you did for Richard Jewell once he was cleared. Something along the lines that Mr. Carter has taken and passed both a urinalysis, hair follicle test, and polygraph test, and satisfied this office that all the allegations against him are completely false." Simmons answered.

The agent and the prosecutor looked at one another. The deal was too good to pass up. If Bill Carter was guilty, he was walking into their trap. If he was innocent, he deserved to have his name cleared.

Handshakes closed the deal. Bill wrote the answers to the questions longhand, and sealed it into an envelope. He signed the documents instructing his attorney to present those answers to the US Attorney if an official determination is made that he failed the lie detector test.

Next up Bill provided the required samples for the drug test including several strands of hair.

Bill then met with the man who would be administering the polygraph test. He went through the questions. The attorney's rephrased some of them. The FBI agent added a couple, and they went through them again.

At the insistence of Bill's attorney, a video camera was set up to show Bill taking the test, a copy of the video would be made available to O'Bannon to show the fairness and properly administered test.

Bill sat in the chair and answered the questions with yes or no answers, as designed, while hooked to the machine. The video camera recorded everything. The forty minutes in the chair seemed to drag on forever. Bill focused on the blank wall and kept his mind clear. He answered the questions as agreed. Lying twice on irrelevant questions to show his physiological reactions to a lie.

After the test he was rolling his sleeves down. "I plan on asking Bill O'Bannon for time on tomorrows show. I'm assuming that you'll have an answer before then?"

"Mr. Carter. I expect to have an answer before noon tomorrow. If you failed, you probably won't be available for the interview. You'll be in jail." The Prosecutor said firmly.

The test administrator packed up his kit and left the room.

Bill watched as Simmons called the O'Bannon show and explained that they would be available for an interview tomorrow night. When the attorney was asked for specifics of the interview, he simply said. "We expect to set the record straight. We have already demonstrated to the satisfaction of the FBI and the US Attorney that Bill Carter is absolutely innocent of all the allegations of Jeremy Lyons."

Bill could hear the pregnant pause on the other end of the phone line. "How did you manage to satisfy them this quickly?"

"Mr. Carter submitted to a Polygraph and Drug testing including hair follicle tests." Simmons said.

Bill leaned back. So much could still go wrong, but he needed to get the word out now that he was innocent.

In the hotel room a little later, Bill watched as O'Bannon closed his show promising exclusive information concerning the allegations against Bill Carter tomorrow night. The press was now alerted that breaking news was coming soon.

Bill was exhausted. He turned the phone on and then called Monica and Jennifer in conference mode.

"I can't talk long girls, I'm extremely busy, and exhausted." Bill said.

"Bill O'Bannon said he's going to have information on tomorrows show. What's he got now?" Monica asked.

"We called him, the Attorney and I, and we're giving him the bag. I have spent most of the afternoon with the US Attorney, and have taken a polygraph and drug testing to prove that Jeremy is lying his ass off." Bill took a deep breath and then continued. "When the results are analyzed, the US Attorney is going to make a public statement, on the O'Bannon show, that I have proven to them that the allegations are completely false. Naming of the tests I've taken, and passed, is part of the deal."

"Bill. Jesus, this could all backfire badly." Monica said. "If they decide that you've failed the tests, or if the Feds release the specifics of your statement, it could bankrupt you. The press would never stop hounding you. Jeremy could still turn this back on you if he tells about the farms, and he might do that if you've cornered him like this."

"I know, but I'm committed. I've already taken the test, and as far as I know, passed it. I need something from you Jennifer." Bill said.

"What?" Jennifer asked in a small-frightened voice.

"Call the papers in the morning, tell them you work for me, call from the house if you think you can get in there tomorrow. Tell them you're authorized to notify them that I have cleared my name, and will give full details on the O'Bannon show. Got it?"

"Bill, they're going to want details." Jennifer began.

"Tell them you aren't aware of the details, and really you aren't. Only that we have proven to the FBI and the US Attorney that we are absolutely innocent." Bill said.

"If I can't get into the house?" Jennifer asked.

"Then make the call's from a public phone. Jennifer, I'm trying to get a feeding frenzy going." Bill explained. "Call Molly if you have any questions. Tell her you have instructions and tell her what I've told you. Try not to use your phone, house or cell, I don't want you being bothered by the press night and day for the next couple weeks."

"What about me Bill, what can I do?" Monica asked.

"You Monica, have a different assignment. I need you to call James, and then some of the gang and tell them I've got this in hand, no details, not yet. Just tell them to watch O'Bannon." Bill said. "Let James know that I'm working to head this off before it gets down to the Farm."

Both women agreed, and wondered if Bill had this as well in hand as he seemed to. They were worried about it. Honestly, at least to himself, Bill admitted that he was worried too. Even though he was exhausted, he didn't sleep much worried about how it was going to play out. The US Attorney was easy; it was the press that was going to be hard. If he could convince the majors that he was telling the truth, they would back off somewhat. The paparazzi would still be a major pain in the ass, but they would take off in time and chase someone else.

If the press didn't believe it, they would start digging, and eventually they would find the ranch and then all hell would break loose. No amount of explaining would ever get them all out of the frying pan.

He needed a firestorm of public opinion against those who attack public figures. He turned the light on and made several notes to discuss with Simmons.

Finally at two am he slept. Four hours later he was up and showering. Too wired to sleep well, to frightened to be able to sit here and wait. He was really scared. So many friends had so much riding on his gamble. If he screwed it up, the Circle B would be gone before the end of the year. Friends would have their careers destroyed. Monica would be lucky to get a job teaching anywhere in the country, forget the idea of a department chair.

Becky emerged from the elevator and found Mr. Carter in the hallway again. "Mr. Carter, you're a very early bird aren't you?"

"Honestly Becky, I'm sorry I don't know your last name Ma'am." Bill said.

"Becky is short for Rebecca. Rebecca Adams."

"Miss Adams, if I show up on the street right now, I'm liable to be torn limb from limb. I can't just sit in the hotel room, I hope you don't mind me hanging around and tapping on my laptop. I'm trying to write a book, and I'm used to having people moving around me. Jennifer, my assistant, is always bustling about, and I miss it." Bill said.

"Mr. Carter, I'm sorry I was rude yesterday." Becky said as she got the coffee started.

"It's all right, I understand. I wouldn't want a child molester around me either." Bill said smiling.

"Was Jon able to help you yesterday?" Becky asked.

"Oh yeah. Tonight we're going on the O'Bannon show, and he's going to prove to the world that I don't do those things." Bill said sitting down and watching the coffee start to brew.