The Awakened Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

= = = = = = =

Kane hovered in the aether, concentrating hard to maintain his aim as he fired the gun. He kept shooting at the three bodies at the foot of the stairs until the magazine was empty. As he dropped the empty gun he felt the ward at the front gate flicker. Instantly he was there, just in time to see two Range Rovers being rapidly turned around and driven away at speed. He'd made a note of the number plates earlier just in case they turned out to be of any use but he doubted that they would be.

He flitted between the other wards in the property to be sure that all the assailants were dead and then willed himself back into his body.

His body was breathing rapidly, adrenalin flooding it as he sat up, wrapped in a sleeping bag. They were in a small copse surrounded by fields about half a mile away from the house. Si was beside him with a tarpaulin set up to shield them from the worst of the cold wind as they waited.

"Kane? Are you alright? Are they gone?" said Si.

Kane was shaking in reaction from the sheer rush of adrenalin and he forced himself to calm down as he turned and nodded.

"Most of them, yes."

"Most of them? What happened?"

"Plan B is what happened. Come on. Let's get back to your car. We can go back to the lighthouse and then we can call the police in the morning when we drive back here."

"You're sure that this is the best plan?"

"What options do we have? This way, we're completely out of it. We were over at the lighthouse from early afternoon and as we left our phones behind there's no real reason to doubt us. We took the back route to get across the fields and wait here and I doubt that we were seen. Short of some very alert, nosy neighbours, there's nothing that can possibly link us to this."

"You're right, you're right. Gods I was so scared when I heard the shots."

"I know! I thought that silenced guns were supposed to be quiet but it scared the shit out of me."

He unzipped himself from the sleeping bag and gripped Si's shoulders.

"You've been a true friend Si. Without you I'd be dead on the floor back there."

"Without you I'd be a dead husk, drained dry by the brain claw."

"Then we're even. Come on, we need to get back to the lighthouse."

Kane started to stand and suddenly felt his head spin. His hand started to shake. He looked across at Si and suddenly saw the face of the first man that he'd shot. His name was Tank.

"Why was his name Tank?"

"Tank? Who? What are you talking about Kane?"

Kane felt hands on his shoulders. He suddenly felt spasms grip his body as he was wracked with sobs.

"I can't...I can't...I killed them Si. I shot them dead."

And then he was in a ball, curled on the sleeping bag, tears streaming down his cheeks as the sheer reaction from what he'd done hit him like a ton of bricks.

Si stood in the darkness at a complete loss. With no idea what to do, he wrapped Kane in the sleeping bag and hugged him. They stayed that way for a long time. The tears finally stopped and Si was able to get Kane to sit up and have a sip from the flask of tea. His hand wouldn't stop shaking. Why wouldn't it stop shaking?

A clear dawn was beginning to illuminate the farmer's hedge when they finally got back to Si's car. They slowly bumped down the lane and were back inside the lighthouse by the time the sun had crested the eastern skyline.

= = = = = = =

It felt strange to be back at The Blue Ball Inn.

Same room, same view, same bag. Deja Vu.

The police had evicted him from the house, not that he'd wanted to stay there. After taking statements from him and Si, they had been told in no uncertain terms not to leave the area and had been shuttled off to the nearest hotel.

The questioning had been less intense than he'd expected. The prospect of him randomly taking out so many obviously professional soldiers was so ridiculous that it wasn't even suggested. They spent a good couple of hours trying to understand why there were so many dead bodies on his property. Theories were few and far between, the only one that seemed to hold much water being that a drug dealer had been using his empty house as a base and that a rival gang had decided to remove the competition.

It was a very tenuous idea but on that basis the techs were going over the house looking for anything that might reinforce the theory with actual evidence. Evidence that wasn't a number of tanned, muscular ex-military corpses.

His nosy neighbour provided an excellent alibi for the time of the shooting and the fact that Si and he had both left together the previous day. He didn't fool himself that the questioning was over but he was confident that their story was holding up.

His hand still shook from time to time and what sleep he had managed to get had been fractious and littered with memories of skulls exploding and brains flying everywhere. He lay back down on the bed and tried to will himself to sleep. But his mind was churning, examining every angle, trying to figure out where to go from here.

He knew now that he could never go back to live in his home. He loved Furze Hill but it had been their house and their dream. Emma's and his. Even before it was stained with blood, brains and bodies he knew that he'd struggle to be there alone. Too many memories. Far too many memories, all of which were now tainted with blood.

His shock had turned to anger and now he was too angry to sleep.

He got up and threw open the curtains to see a beautiful blustery day. Saturday, not that it mattered to him what day it was. He decided to walk along the coast and quickly pulled on a couple of layers and his trusty gore-tex waterproofs. It had just turned eleven o'clock so he had plenty of time.

"Off for a stroll?" asked Bill, the publican, cheery as ever.

"Yes, I need to blow the cobwebs out. A walk along the coast will do me good."

"A day like today sounds perfect then. This wind will do more than blow the odd cobweb away!"

The walk was bracing but it allowed his brain to wander. He considered a few options but quickly came to the realisation that trying to hide and being constantly on edge was no way to live. He needed to go on the offensive while he still could. The question was how?

By the time he got back to the inn his head was clear and his stomach was empty. He'd been gone for the best part of six hours and had missed lunch. It was past five o'clock and getting dark.

Opening the door into the bar he found Si sitting in one of the battered old leather armchairs near the fire. He was nursing a gin and tonic and chatting with the landlord. They both looked up at him as the door opened and a blast of wintry air entered the cosy pub with him.

"There he is!" said Si, obviously slightly worse for wear.

"I had no idea that you were only just out of hospital, Kane," Bill said, standing up to move back behind the bar. "Usual?"

Kane nodded and Bill started to pull a pint of ale. Kane looked at Si wondering what else his drunk friend might have divulged.

"Now that I think of it, it did seem a bit strange when that London bloke came in here asking after you not long after you'd checked out. Said something about updating medical records..? I didn't have a phone number for you so I couldn't help. I hope that wasn't anything important..?"

Kane went a bit grey and Si nearly spilled his gin. Thankfully Bill was focused on pouring the beer.

"Err...no...no...they left a message on my home phone so that's...that's all been sorted out now."

"Good, good. So are you staying with us a bit longer this time or are you taking up this rascal's idea of making a living by sitting in other people's houses?"

"Funnily enough I need to chat to Si about that."

Bill nodded sagely and was about to press him for details when the door opened and the local rugby team piled in for an after match drink.

Kane took the chance to move Si to a small corner away from the rest of the noisy crowd.

"Hey, I was in prime position there!" Si protested as Kane dragged him off to a small table in a corner away from the noisy, and from the sounds of things, victorious rugby team.

"I want to attack Aldred."

"WHAT?!?"

Bill's head turned at that even with all the noise from the rugby team who had begun to sing the dirty version of the hymn Jerusalem:

In days of old there lived a maid,

Who used to do a roaring trade,

A prostitute of ill repute,

The harlot of Jerusalem.

She lived within the palace walls,

And round the walls were hung the balls,

Of every cock who'd tried to root,

The harlot of Jerusalem.

"Keep your voice down, Si!"

"Are you insane?"

"No. I've thought it through carefully. The other options are far less attractive. I don't want to be peering over my shoulder for the rest of my life, moving every week or two. It's no way to live."

"I know, but..." then words failed him. Si didn't know what to say. It was what he'd been doing for most of his adult life.

Nearby there lived an Arab tall,

Who with his prick could move a wall,

It was the pride of nearly all,

The harlots of Jerusalem.

One night returning from a spree,

He saw her there beneath a tree,

And vowed that very night that he,

Would lay her in Jerusalem.

"Wouldn't you like to put down roots, Si? Just live? Find a place you like, be with people you like. Make a difference."

"You make it sound so simple."

"It can be."

"But what about Aldred..?" he hissed.

Kane just looked at him and took a sip from his beer before laughing out loud at the lyrics of the song.

He took her to a shady nook,

And from his open fly he took,

A penis like a butcher's hook,

The finest in Jerusalem.

He laid her down upon her back,

And tried to shove it up her crack,

But had no luck in trying to fuck,

The harlot of Jerusalem.

Si leaned closer to him, "do you honestly think you can do it?"

"If I can take him by surprise then yes I do."

Si leaned back in shock, his drink completely forgotten. The idea of actually dealing with someone like Aldred made him so scared that his bowels had literally turned to water. He just stared at the cold, calm face of the man sitting opposite him.

The rugby team bellowed away, totally unaware of the two men in the corner.

Cathusalem she gave a grunt,

And with a snap she shut her cunt,

And threw him high into the sky,

Far beyond Jerusalem.

Away he flew across the sea,

Across the Sea of Galilee,

And caught his ballocks in a tree,

Three leagues beyond Jerusalem.

And there he hangs unto this day,

And seen by all who pass that way,

The silly ape that tried to rape,

The harlot of Jerusalem.

They finished the song with a huge roar before besieging Bill for another round of drinks.

"Will you help me, Si? I can't do it by myself."

Si couldn't process what his friend was saying, he just felt fear. Overwhelming, debilitating fear. He staggered upright and practically ran from the pub leaving the door swinging at the mercy of the gusting sea breezes.

= = = = = = =

Numerous missed calls and messages later, Kane gave up trying to get hold of Si. He understood the fear, but he knew that Aldred wouldn't underestimate him again. He had to do something now. So, the next day he packed his bag, said his goodbyes to Bill, found a car hire company that was open on a Sunday and set off on the four hour drive to Surrey.

Aldred's house hadn't been hard to find. He played far too hard and far too publicly for the press to ignore him. His house in Windlesham was very private, gated and surrounded by trees. Thankfully for Kane it also backed on to the crown estate which was a large area of forest and open farmland linked to Windsor castle and a number of other royal properties.

He left his hire car in one of the parking areas used regularly by dog walkers and spent a couple of hours wandering round the five acre property boundary and trying to find a gap in the security. After a fruitless search he came to the conclusion that he was wasting his time. If the paparazzi couldn't find a way in then how was he going to?

Instead he focused on finding an area of dense undergrowth, well away from the usual dog walking paths and far enough from Aldred's property that he was unlikely to be discovered. He spotted a cluster of pine trees with dense foliage low to the ground. He forced his way past the lower boughs and found himself in a dark, dry space with enough room to settle himself comfortably enough on the pine needles that coated the earth.

Finally settled with his back against the large tree trunk, he took a deep breath and moved into the spirit world. It was effortless now after the amount of recent practice he'd had. It was eerie looking at the swirling aether clouds high above him. They were always there, thicker or thinner, lazily swirling or gathered in a more intense and darker grouping. But always there.

He began to ward the area around his body, making sure that he'd have plenty of notice if anyone did stumble upon his hiding place. As he moved around he could sense some animal movements nearby. The small areas of consciousness feeling both strange and welcome at the same time. He felt very alone without Si there. He'd come to rely on his friend in the short time that they'd known each other and he missed him.

He wrapped himself in the sleeping bag and made sure that his supplies of food and tea were carefully packed away so as not to attract unwanted attention. It was early evening and the temperature was on its way from a pleasant twelve degrees to a much cooler five.

Sighing, he began to float through the woods, as carefully wrapped in his manatee cloak as he could manage. He drifted over the fence and past the cameras that seemed to be everywhere on the estate. And it was an estate. Carefully manicured lawns, beautifully trimmed box hedges, a large indoor pool that could have the surrounding glass panels moved back to open it up to the elements on good summer days.

The house itself was a large, sprawling thing. Probably built in the nineteen-nineties judging by the look of the place. It was all brick, and whilst it was imposing it wasn't the soulless ode to wealth that Kane had expected. It was a two and sometimes three story place that seemed to make the most of the light and the garden. Someone talented had been involved in its design.

Just as he began to move closer he spotted movement in the dusky sky above the house. He stopped dead in his tracks and looked harder into the greyish void. There it was again. Was it a starling? Or a bat?

And then he saw more of them, circling around the house.

Brain claws. Lots and lots of small brain claws, swirling around the house, always hovering just outside but very obviously drawn to something inside. But seemingly unable to enter...? Why couldn't they enter? Did that mean that Aldred was massively more powerful than him?

Kane was paralysed in fear. How would the brain claws react to his cloak? Would they somehow sense him? Did he need to approach on foot outside of the spirit world instead? Would that make any difference? He hovered there debating back and forth with himself based on what he knew. Which wasn't much.

He decided that it didn't matter how he approached the house so long as he remained cloaked. Steeling himself he slowly pushed forward.

Kane kept out of sight as much as possible, very aware that his cloak did not make him invisible to other Awakened. He carefully avoided windows and stayed behind the numerous shrubs and topiary as he made his way around the property. Various lights were on in the house and he was just deciding what to do next when he heard the sound of tyres on the gravel drive.

He peered around the side of the house in time to see two blacked out Range Rovers come to a halt near the front door. Three men and a woman got out of the car. They all had that professional, ex-military look about them. Two of them reached into the back of one of the cars and dragged out a man, wearing a suit, his head covered by a hood and his hands zip tied behind him. He staggered as if inebriated and he was unceremoniously bundled into the house.

Kane waited to be sure that no one else was about and then carefully peered into one of the windows. It was late afternoon and in the half-light he could see what appeared to be a family room or den. He pushed himself through the glass and moved through the expanse of lazy boy chairs. He carried on in the direction of the front door, and eased himself through the gap between the dark wooden door and the thick pile carpet, feeling deeply uncomfortable. The sensation was akin to being pulled in different directions whilst being squeezed by a mangle. That was different and definitely not normal. It was yet another thing he didn't know enough about. He wished Si were there to talk it through with.

He mentally shook himself and eased his way down the ensuing hallway, moving more quickly now as he heard raised voices.

"...iots! I told you to monitor the situation not to just kidnap random people that may or may not have shown talent!"

The man's cut glass public school accent was impeccable.

"But Mr Aldred sir..."

"And now the poor sap knows my name. Why did I employ you Petersen? Who was it that recommended you when you can't follow simple orders and are similarly unable to exercise discretion?"

"Sorry sir."

"FUCK!"

Aldred's enraged voice echoed through the hallway, making Kane's heart pump even faster. He cautiously peered around the corner.

In a lavishly decorated study, adorned with antique furniture and what looked like rare cureos, stood Aldred. He looked much the same as the pictures in the press showed him. Handsome with steely blue eyes. Hair carefully messed up. He was staring up at the ceiling in exasperation as the unfortunate Petersen shuffled from foot to foot under the palpable wave of disapproval that flowed from his boss.

Shocked, Kane realised that he could see two other manatee figures. It seemed that Aldred was only staring up at the ceiling to hide his move into the aether. His aura was bright and didn't appear to be cloaked in any way whatsoever. His dishevelled captive also glowed but it was barely noticeable.

[Please, don't hurt me. I..I'll do anything you want], the captive pleaded, his voice trembling.

[You can't do what I need without me hurting you], Aldred replied, moving towards the poor man.

[What do you mea..?]

The poor man hadn't even finished his sentence before Aldred sprang, his arm flashing forward, slashing into the figure in front of him. The man screamed as golden motes of light started to leak from the wound.

[I need more] was all Aldred said.

His arm was covered in the motes of light and they flowed more and more rapidly over his form, before blending into his aura.

[Why?] croaked the unfortunate in front of him.

[I can't power the shield by myself. You'll tide me over for another month or two and keep those vermin away from me].

Kane was frozen, completely unable to move as he saw the savage murder unfurl in front of his eyes. And then it was done. Aldred seemed to almost stretch as the manatee in front of him melted away like dust and the man's physical form collapsed onto the floor at his feet, shocking the four guards.

"Sir! Mr Aldred!" they shouted as the man on his knees collapsed lifeless in front of them.

Aldred cast his eyes around as he turned towards their shout when he looked straight at Kane.

[What the devil..?]

Kane's blood ran cold as he realised that he'd been seen.

[Who the fuck are you, and where the fuck is your body?] - the words sounded so incongruous in his very posh accent.

Kane's mind was racing. He allowed his manatee body to float in much the same way as the ones that he'd seen in the hospital as Aldred approached.