The Awards Show Ch. 14

Story Info
Trouble In Paradise.
5.5k words
4.37
1.9k
2
0

Part 14 of the 18 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/27/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey Tierney, how are you?" She picked up the phone as she started on her first round of edits for the latest ghost writing project she was working on. Jet was completely wrapped up in it, and if the phone hadn't been right next to the computer she never would have heard it.

"Jet, are you okay? Tell me you're okay." Tierney sounded completely beside herself and Jet focused in on her instantly.

"I'm fine, why? What's going on?"

"Thank God. Listen, I don't know too much yet. I wanted to call you first, well after the police, but I'm going to try to get more answers as soon as I can." Tierney was speaking, but Jet was still completely lost as she listened to her.

"Slow down Tierney, tell me what's up."

"It's Mitchell." Jet's whole world came screeching to a halt, and she felt herself start to grow cold with fear. "Jet, don't freak out yet, but Mitchell broke into our house. We found him here when we came home. He was crazy Jet; demanding to know where you were. I told him I had no idea, and he threatened to kill me. He looked so insane Jet. He was saying that you took away his life and he was going to show you what that felt like. I...I'm so sorry. I thought I was going to die, so I just told him you moved to L.A. and I didn't know where. I know I shouldn't have...I know."

"Mitchell? He...he knows I'm in L.A."

"You have to understand, he threatened me and then he said he knew you had friends there because of your Facebook and then he asked if he was right and I just nodded. It was enough for him to run away, and then I called the police right away. They're coming to take a report, but I wanted you to know...I'm so sorry Jet. I thought he was still in prison. I thought they were supposed to tell you when he got out." Tierney was crying on the other end of the phone and Jet couldn't even think.

"They...they were...I don't understand. He was supposed to...he knows I'm in L.A?"

"Jet, listen to me. He didn't get your address and L.A. is a big city. Why don't you just go stay at Rhett's house? You can just stay there tonight and tomorrow we can figure out what's going on."

"Oh My God Tierney; he's going to kill me." Her voice trembled as Jet sunk off her chair onto the floor.

"Jet, even if he flew there, he won't be there for at least 3 hours. You have time to get out. Just pack a bag and leave your house. Go to Rhett's. He won't find you there. Rhett keeps his place super secret because he's famous. Go to his place Jet. Just go and I'll call you later when I know more. I'm so sorry, please don't hate me." Jet didn't hate Tierney. She couldn't hate Tierney because she couldn't even think right now.

"Tierney, what do I...?"

"Jet, the police are here and I have to go. Listen to me. Pack a bag for a few days, and go to Rhett's house. Just go. I know he's not there, but you'll be safe until at least tomorrow. Go. I love you Jet, be safe." Tierney hung up with those words and Jet let the phone fall from her hand to the floor. It was her worst nightmare and it was coming true. Her blood ran cold in her veins and all she could do for the next few minutes was sit there on the floor.

When her brain started to clear, Jet picked up the phone once more. She needed Rhett. He made her feel safe and loved and she needed him to tell her everything was going to be okay. She clicked on his name in her text. There he was dressed up in a suit with a smirk on his face. Jet cursed herself for having missed his message earlier as she clicked on his number.

It went to voicemail after one ring. It dawned on her then that he was at the wedding, and probably wouldn't answer. His voice on the message gave her a little comfort as she tried to think of what to say.

"Rhett, I um...I'm sorry to bother you...but um...it's...it's Mitchell Rhett. It's Mitchell. Tierney called and he's out and I...oh God I'm so scared. I don't know what to do. I'm just going to pack and go to your place. Tierney said I should. He's crazy Rhett and he's looking for me, and I'm just going to your house. I'll call you later." When she hung up, Jet forced herself up off the floor. Tierney was right. She had a few hours, at least a few hours. It would be enough. It had to be enough.

With a quick trip to her bedroom, Jet had a bag, and she started to take stock of what she needed to go and stay somewhere else for a few days. From there, it was easier. Having something to do, something to work on, made this easier. She packed her clothes methodically, thinking through what she had to have and what was expendable. Then, it was to the bathroom to pack her toiletries. After that, Jet grabbed an extra pair of shoes and headed out to the living room. She had to get her work. As Jet finished packing, she tried to remember where she had put Rhett's key.

He gave her one, over her protest, and she had tucked it away. Rhett wanted her to always feel welcome with him, but Jet thought it was a start to a conversation about moving in together. She wasn't ready for that when they talked, although right now she wished she had been. God, she wished she had been. More than that, she wished she was sitting next to Rhett at a wedding 3000 miles away. Her brain tried to recall where she put the key, and she just couldn't. Then, it came to her. Jet had left it at his house. She was trying to be subtle and after she kept it for a week had just replaced it at his house. She cursed herself for having done it.

As the thought occurred to her, she decided to give him another call. Maybe he was free by now, and just maybe he would check his phone. Plus, he might have a spare key hidden somewhere around his place that she could use. As she dialed, all she could think about was Rhett and how she should have gone with him.

It rang once again, and then went straight to voicemail. Jet was on the verge of tears as she listened to his voice once more.

"Hey baby. I...I miss you, oh God I miss you." She heard herself start to ramble and she didn't stop it. She had to get this out. "Rhett I'm sorry. I wish I had gone with you and I was there right now. I...I'm so scared Rhett. I returned your stupid key, so I can't go to your place and that's the only place I want to be right now. I wish you were here with me. I...I'm leaving and I don't know what I'm going to do, but I just want you to know that I...I love you Rhett. I love you and I miss you and I need you right now." Jet hung up the phone as tears came to her eyes. She loved him. She really loved him. The words were pure and she meant every single one of them.

Jet loaded her two bags in her car, and she locked her door. She got in and just drove. Forty minutes later, she was parked outside of Rhett's house, unsure of what she was going to do next. With a deep breath, she opened her phone. Maybe he had called, just maybe.

There were no missed calls, but there was one text. Jet opened her messages and let her breath escape her as she saw it was from Jane.

'Hey, your boyfriend Mitch-whatever Facebook messaged me for your address. That's totes weird Jet. I gave it to him, but tell him not to do it again.' Jet wanted to throw up. Jane gave Mitchell her address. Apparently, the younger woman had already forgotten about their conversations about Mitchell and now, now he knew. He was definitely on his way to her house now, and she could never go back there again.

Jet dialed Jane's number.

"Hey Jettie, what's up?" Jane sounded high when she answered, and Jet forced herself to be calm, even though all she wanted to do was scream at her.

"Jane, was his name Mitchell?"

"I don't know...what the fuck Jet?"

"Jane, that was my crazy ex-boyfriend Mitchell. Did you really give him my address?"

"Yea. He said you asked him to come over."

"And that didn't sound fucking weird Jane? Jesus Christ what's wrong with you?"

"Dude, don't yell at me man. I'm like totally not your girlfriend anymore remember? So, like fuck you."

"Jane, did you give him any other information? Did you tell him about Rhett or Link or the studio or anything?"

"No man. I don't remember their addresses and stuff. I just gave him yours."

"Look, Jane, don't answer any more messages from him, okay?"

"Sure whatever gorg." Jane trailed off and Jet hung up the phone not able to deal with her right now.

She clicked on Rhett's number again, and listened to that same one ring. When his voice came on, she was on the verge of tears once more.

"Rhett, I...I don't know what to do...I...wait. I'm going to call Link. Yea, shit I forgot about Link. Listen, call me when you can. I love you Rhett." She hung up quickly and clicked on Link's number. Why hadn't she thought of it before? Jet wanted to kick herself.

"Jet, what's going on?" Link's friendly voice came through and she breathed a sigh of relief.

"Link, oh thank God. I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, but it's just. It's sort of an emergency. Mitchell is out and he's coming to L.A. and he knows my address and...and..." Her relief turned into hysteria as she tried to get the words out as quickly as she could.

"Hey, hey, slow down. Did you say Mitchell as in your ex-boyfriend Mitchell?"

"Yes. He's out Link and he's coming to L.A.."

"Crap Jet. Have you told Rhett yet?"

"No, well, I left him messages, but he's not answering his phone and I...I'm at his house, but I gave back the key he gave me and now...now I don't have anywhere to go..."

"Wait, how does Mitchell know where you live?"

"He threatened Tierney earlier and she told him I was in L.A. and then fucking Jane gave him my address." Jet started to tear up again and she just wanted to scream. The thought of Mitchell even being in the same city filled her with dread.

"Wait, Jane gave him your address? Is she crazy?"

"No, well maybe, but she's high right now. She didn't give him anything else just my address. So, you guys are safe."

"I'm not worried about us Jet. We have an alarm and we're fine. Look, why don't you just come over here for now. I'll talk to Christy and we'll figure out what to do. Are you okay to drive?" He was such a good friend, and Jet couldn't help the tears flowing from her eyes as relief washed over her. Someone was on her side, and someone was going to help her.

"Thank you Link, thank you." She was openly crying now.

"Oh Jet, come on don't worry. I'm always here for you. Just come over. You're only about ten minutes away. Just come to my place and we'll go from there."

Jet hung up and took a few deep breaths driving over to Link's. When she arrived at Link's, it was to open arms and a warm cup of tea. Link and Christy were amazing and helped her to calm down. From there, Jet explained the situation and was finally able to take a few deep breaths.

"Did you just get off the phone with the police?" Link questioned her as she walked back into the kitchen and took a seat. Jet had just hung up her phone after finally being calm enough to make a call.

"Yea. They said they can't do anything until tomorrow. Then, a Detective will give me a call. Apparently, the break-in in San Francisco has not been entered into whatever system, so there's no warrant out for Mitchell. From what I gather that means they don't care here unless he does something that's illegal"

"Tax dollars at work huh?' Christy smiled and refilled her tea.

"I suppose so. Thank you so much for letting me come over." Jet felt tears just waiting at the edges of her eyes as she looked between the kind gazes of Link and Christy. She didn't know what she ever did to deserve their friendship, but she would be eternally grateful for it.

"Listen, you can crash in our guest room tonight. I called Rhett's parents and they said he hasn't come home. Apparently there was an after party so they weren't expecting him. I figure he'll be out having fun, but when he gets your messages he'll call back. Until then, you should crash. I left him a message and told him to call me if he doesn't get you so that you can get some sleep." Link rubbed a hand over her back and Jet smiled at him.

"You guys have been awesome. Thank you so much. I just hope Rhett is okay. He said he'd be around, so I'm just worried." She felt those tears nearing the surface as she said it.

"With everything you have going on, you're worried about him? Jet, go rest, please. Don't worry about Rhett." Christy smiled at her reassuringly.

After finishing her tea, Jet was shown to their guest room and she curled up on the bed after only removing her shoes. She was exhausted. Since the news of Mitchell she had been in hyper-drive, and it all suddenly caught up to her. When she closed her eyes, she was out.

The next morning, Jet awoke to the sound of kids playing. The house was full of noise as she made her way to the kitchen. She was greeted sweetly and then got to sit down to a breakfast at the Neal house. It was hectic to say the least as their three children talked about everything and anything. Meanwhile, Link and Christy avoided talking to her about what was going on. They obviously didn't want their kids to know the seriousness of everything. Jet understood and waited before mentioning anything.

When breakfast was over, Link pulled her off to the side.

"Listen, I was thinking maybe we could go over to Rhett's house. I have a spare key and it will be a lot quieter there for you." He looked a little nervous as he said it.

"I wouldn't want them to know about all my craziness either." She gave him an understanding grin.

"I...I'm sorry. You know we don't mind having you...it's just..." Link felt bad. Jet could see it on his face and she couldn't help but feel a little guilty for visiting the scourge that was her past on him.

"Link, I get it, really, and if you just want to let me in and wash your hands of things that's fine. You and Christy have done a lot for me already."

"Come on now. You know it's not a big deal. I just don't want to involve the kids if I don't have to. I already talked to Christy and I can stay there with you if you need me to. I don't mind. I've got you girl."

"Thanks Link. Listen, do you mind if I just grab a quick shower and change before we head out? I think it would help me feel human again."

"No, not at all. You know, it's already 8. I'm going to call Rhett and his parents again and see if I can find him. It's really not like him to be out of touch like this." He gave her a puzzled look and Jet nodded.

**************************

An hour later, Jet and Link were sitting in Rhett's living room and Jet was feeling okay again. The shower had done wonders and now being here in a place where she always felt safe and welcome made her feel almost normal again. The only thing left was getting to talk to her prince. Link had still not found Rhett and at this point he was starting to worry a little.

Jet listened to him call a few of Rhett's buddies, and start to retrace his steps. "Alright, well it looks like the after party was at Jesse's house. So, at least that's the last place he was. I'm guessing he broke his phone or something, probably doing a dare to prove how awesome he is. I think I have her cell, so I think we should try there next. Do you want to be here for the call or?"

"Link are you asking if I'm jealous? Rhett told me they were still friends, so no worries. I mean unless you think she will be insanely jealous of me?" Jet smiled at him. It was her first smile since she got Tierney's call and it felt good to at least have an emotion other than fear. Jet knew it was Rhett that made her feel this way. As comforting as Link was, being here in Rhett's house did more for her than Link ever could.

"I have a feeling she will love you. Of course, she might be jealous given how much that big idiot loves you. He probably spent the whole night at the party talking about how amazing you are."

"He may not feel that way after I kick his ass for not answering the phone." She plopped down on the couch next to Link with a smile and he looked for Jesse's number.

"There she is." He clicked on the number and put it on speaker phone.

A female voice came on the phone after a few rings, clearly just waking up. "Link, is that you?"

"Hey Jesse. Listen, I'm sorry to bother you so early, but we've been trying to reach Rhett since yesterday, and I know the after party was at your house, so I was just wondering if you knew anything."

"Hang on." Video calling was suddenly activated and there was a beautiful woman, with freckles adorning her cheeks. She looked like she had just woken up. Jet admired her beauty. Rhett clearly had good taste in women. There was a rustling. "Sorry Link, I'm trying to wake him up." The words didn't make sense to her as she watched in the camera. Then, things came into focus. Jesse was lying in a bed, at least topless with the covers pulled up and she had rolled over.

Now, they could clearly make out someone's back lying next to her. "Jesse, what are you doing? You don't have to wake that guy up man. I'm looking for Rhett, your ex-husband, my best friend, Rhett. I was just asking if you saw him leave the after party last night or knew what happened to him." Link had a bewildered look on his face as he held the phone between himself and Jet.

It was in the next moment Jet's world truly crashed down. "Rhett, Rhett, wake up. Your phone must be off baby. Link called me. He needs to talk to you."

The skin in the background moved and suddenly a set of bloodshot green eyes stared back at them.

"What?"

"Rhett?" Link's voice made the eyes focus a little and a grin split his face. The light was dim in the room, but it was Rhett and he was in bed with Jesse.

"Hey Link, man what's up?"

"Rhett are you drunk?"

"Uh, yep, I think so. I was trying to sleep it off, but...hey why are you calling Jesse man?" He sounded gone and Jet could only watch as her life went up in flames.

"Uh Rhett, I'm here with Jet and we're...well we're dealing with sort of a serious situation."

"Well shit, why didn't you call me?"

"Jet's been trying to all night, but your phone's off."

"Oh shit. It broke and I have to get a new one. Is Jet? Is she there?" Rhett's words slurred as he tried to focus on the screen.

"Yea, I'm here, but it doesn't seem like you really give a shit."

"Jet? Hey, you okay? I'm sorry my phone broke baby."

"Fuck you Rhett." She stood up, not wanting him to see the tears on her face as she made her way towards the bathroom. The breakfast she barely got down before was threatening to come back up.

"What?

"Rhett baby, get off the phone. Tell Link you'll call him back."

"Oh...oh shit Link...that was Jet and this is Jesse."

"Oh shit's right you jerk. Call me when you're sober man. Sorry to bother you Jesse." Jet heard the words and then ran into Rhett's bathroom emptying the contents of her stomach.

"Jet? Oh Jet." Link made his way over and worked on skimming her hair out of her face.

It took her the next hour to be convinced that she should go rest in the guest bedroom. Link was so kind, and so understanding. He had guilt written on his face as if he himself had done something wrong. Of course, Jet knew it was just because he was so close to Rhett. The same Rhett that had worked so hard to make her love him only to rip her heart right back out of her chest. She wanted to scream and cry, but all she could manage was to take the sleeping pill Link offered and fall into a dreamless sleep.

When she awoke it was to the sound of Link's cell phone ringing. Jet got up, and made her way out to the edge of Rhett's living room where she could hear. She didn't want to interrupt him, but she did want to know who he was talking to. It was already 8 when she looked at the clock on the way out of the bedroom.

"Hey Rhett, are you sober now?" Her stomach dropped at the sound of his name. Had it all been a dream, a horrible dream?

12