The Ballad of Decker Crane Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ah, shit," Tag said in a low voice.

She went down in front of him to get her book, his brows going up. He held out his hand. To Decker's surprise, she reached up and took it, Tag raising her to her feet. Her curly hair floated around her a little, her face flushed. Beautiful, of course.

"Are you okay?" Tag said like somebody else was saying it to himself and he could hear it from somewhere.

Now her face went scarlet, her eyes huge. She looked away. "Of course."

He didn't let go of her hand when she tugged. She looked up at him again.

"I'm Taggart. Tag," he said. "What's your name?"

"Grace," she whispered, looking down.

"Of course it is." His eyes traveled her form. "What're you reading, Grace?"

"I just started the section on Bacteremia and Endocarditis," she answered, darting glances up at him. "I finished the section on Rheumatology with the unit covering Seronegative Spondyloarthritis this morning."

"I'm not going to ask what that is because I'm afraid you'll answer. Has anyone ever told you how beautiful you are?"

"No," she said, still low and under her breath. "Persya and Dawine are the pretty ones. I'm just Grace."

"Just Grace," he echoed, releasing her hand. Tag dragged his eyes away from her to look at Decker. "Are you sure I'm not dead somewhere in a dust storm?"

"It'd probably be more merciful," Decker said. "I'm just amazed you had a conversation with her. Come on and have a drink"

"Will you come in with me, Grace?" Tag said.

Grace clutched her book to herself and shook her head, turning and walking into the barn. She looked back once. Tag was still standing there, looking after her.

#

He and Tag were on the porch, having dragged the chairs out. In some ways, it was the same as all the other times they'd done this. Decker was holding a glass of that awful wine Tag made and pretending to enjoy it.

In other ways, it was different. Tag was watching the women go in and out, but mostly his eyes were following Grace.

Grace, who usually stayed in the bedroom reading, or in the main room reading, or on the porch steps reading, or wandering reading, didn't have the tablet book in her hand. Instead, she managed to find reasons to come out and go back in, passing them.

When she did, she'd steal a glance at Tag, who was always watching her.

"I'll get some from the garden, Dawine," Grace said from the doorway. "You stay here. I know you're busy making supper."

"Thank you, Grace," Dawine called, humor in her voice. "Do you even know what it looks like?"

"Of course I do. It's--What's it look like?" Grace said.

"It's got bristly leaves. Just crush and smell. You'll know it."

"All right."

And Grace passed by them again, stealing her glance at Tag, who hadn't ever stopped watching her, looking even after she'd disappeared.

In not too long, Grace came walking back, stealing a glance, Tag watching her.

"As I was saying," Decker said, and sighed. Tag was distracted. "As I was saying." They'd been talking about the brikens. Decker had been talking, mostly. "I'd have to know why the brikens are fucking but there's no baby brikens."

Tag made anI'm-listening-to-you noise, but he wasn't.

Grace, who'd been passing, was. "It's probably the whaite."

Decker's eyes shifted to her. Tag's hadn't ever left her in the first place.

Grace flushed. Turning, she went up a step.

"What about the whaite, Grace?" Tag said.

Stopping on the next step, she turned to them and cleared her throat. Her eyes darted to Tag. "Early in the system's colonization, they discovered reduced birthrates in human populations on the edge systems and established it was the whaite, which was a part of synth rations and what people in domes in mid-system and on the frontier eat almost exclusively. In its original form, the grain can act as a contraceptive plant. They had to shift its genome to change that for people, but it'll tend to return if it mutates in a new environment. So, if something here is breeding but not reproducing, it's probably mutated whaite."

Whatever that meant. Decker understood enough. "There's wild whaite in the briken enclosure," he said, looking at Tag. "Seeds drift over from the whaite farms. They're airborne. But there's too many of them for me to get rid of with a torch. I'm more likely to set the woods on fire."

"There's whaite blight nits," Tag said, his eyes leaving Grace reluctantly. "It's a tiny parasite that's also from Cobel. I use it to kill any whaite in the habitat tents. I don't like to let wild whaite grow there because I noticed sometimes the heifers will lose a calf after eating it."

"Do you have any to spare?"

"Plenty. I just got my year's supply in. You're welcome to it. I owe you. It's just a precaution for my animals."

Decker leaned back, nodding. "I'd appreciate it. It's worth a try. I'm going to reduce the brikens' area, pull all the fences in. I'll introduce it and see what happens."

In the meantime, Grace had gone in.

"Grace has got a thing for you," Decker said, because Tag didn't necessarily know about women like Decker did, not having lived among them, and might not know to interpret or predict their behavior.

Tag looked at him and made a face. "Why would a woman like that be interested in a man like me? She's so beautiful I can hardly look at her."

It didn't seem to him like Tag had any problems looking at her, but Decker didn't say that. As he'd suspected, Tag was ignorant of them. He waited.

Tag glanced at the doorway. "You really think so?"

"I know it."

Grace came out with a plate, her cheeks already dark pink and her hands shaking lightly. "Decker," she said, actually speaking to him directly, but only so she could speak to Tag, he suspected. "Tag. Dawine made them, not me. I'm just--they're cookies." She was scarlet by the end of her speech.

Grace was a scary-smart woman, but at the moment, she was a mess. It was the night for real food, Decker looking forward to it. Their once-a-week meal now also included pre-sweets, which had been too difficult to turn down, they were so good. It had actually been Decker's suggestion. They were making some ingredients on the ranch now. And Persya had saved him money already, the way she handled the books.

"Cookies," Tag echoed, glancing at the plate before looking at her. When he smelled them, still warm, his eyes actually shifted away from Grace. "What are those?"

Bryn exploded out the door, running, as usual, passing Grace. She stopped short, staring at Tag and returning. "Who's that, Decker?"

"This is Tag, my neighbor," Decker said.

"That's a girl child," Tag said.

Grace went back in, passing Bryn, Tag's eyes following Grace.

Bryn's eyes sharpened and she walked to stand in front of Decker. "What are those, Decker?" she said, all innocent, like she'd just seen them this moment.

She would never make a criminal. She was terrible at it. "Cookies," Decker grunted, picking one up and handing it to Tag and then taking one himself. There were four left.

She watched the one in his hand, turning to look at the front door, so obviously guilty and no ability to hide it that Decker sighed. Persya was just as bad.

"I like cookies," she said, facing forward.

Bryn jumped as Persya peeked her head out the door, her eyes finding her sister and narrowing. "Get away from there, Bryn. I told you and you already ate the dough." She went back in.

Decker reached and put a cookie in Bryn's hand. "If you get caught, I'll say you stole it. I'm not going down for you."

"Thanks, Decker," she said through cookie, running down the stairs and to the barn.

When he turned, Tag was staring at him. Grace came out. Tag's eyes shifted to her.

"Look for the kind with the round leaves," Dawine yelled from the kitchen.

Grace stole a glance at him. Decker sighed, sitting back and taking a bite of the cookie. He made a noise. They were so good. He could eat them and never stop.

"You have to tell me where you got the women, Deck," Tag said when Grace was out of his field of vision, the cookie still in his hand, forgotten.

Decker sighed, savoring, his swallow leisurely. "Well, to do that, you have to know a little more about me than I ever let on, Tag. Have some cookie."

Tag looked at what was in his hand, focusing on it. "This is real food?"

"Don't get me started," Decker said, shaking his head and taking a bite, chewing. "Bunch of spoiled Prime women."

Tag put it to his mouth, biting into it. He chewed slowly and then stopped. His eyes watered, blinking. "What is this?" he said around the cookie, taking another bite and breathing. He ate the whole thing in a moment like he'd been hungry for it and hadn't even known, big bites.

"Will you stay for supper? It's all real food," Decker said, enjoying his own slowly because he knew about them now. That didn't mean he liked them less from familiarity. More so, in fact. Like sex with pretty Persya, the little harlot. It just got better.

He finished it, reaching for two more and handing one to Tag, who ate his just as fast. Decker leaned back and took a bite of his, nice and slow. There was one left now.

"There's more real food?" Tag said, swallowing, his mouth moving, still tasting it. "That's good."

"You'd be welcome at the table," Decker answered. "Will you stay?"

"I will, Deck. Thank you for the invitation."

This was one of the reasons Tag was special to Decker. Tag never had shown even one small sign of envy that Decker had it easier or that Tag had less. He accepted help but didn't ask for it. He was honest. He told it like it was, as he saw it. And Tag just tended toward the good. It was his nature. He was a mystery to Decker, but that was all right.

"I never had real food before," Tag said. "So, what don't I know about you, Deck?"

Like the question had summoned them, Bai and Kay rode up, Adya on the saddle in front of Kay. She did her jump, landing as Kay dismounted, big boots and little boots.

Walking to stand at the bottom of the stairs, Adya looked up at Tag, her gaze just like Kay when he was sizing someone up. "Who the hell are you?"

"Don't be rude, girl," Kay said behind her.

"Sorry, Kay."

"Come here, Adya," Decker said.

Adya ran to him and Decker held out the last cookie, her smile lighting up the porch. It was in her mouth before she'd reversed.

"What do you say?" Kay said.

"Thank you, Decker," she said around cookie.

Chione came out of the house. "It's my turn," she said about the horses, coming and getting them and walking to the barn.

Bai nodded his thanks, glancing at Tag.

"Go help Chione, crazy," Kay said to Adya, who turned and ran. She did listen.

Kay looked up at Tag. "Who the hell are you?"

Before Tag could answer, Grace returned from the garden, going between Bai and Kay without looking at them and stealing a glance at Tag as she came up the stairs.

"Dinner will be ready soon, Tag," she said all in a breath, going up the stairs.

"Did Grace just say something to that guy?" Bai said, looking at Kay.

Kay stared after her. "I think she did."

"Has she ever said anything to you?"

"Not a word," Kay answered.

They both looked at Tag.

"Hi," Tag said, his eyes shifting between them. "I'm Tag. Tag Everet. I'm Deck's neighbor."

"You call him Deck?" Bai said, staring.

"That's what you call Decker Crane?" Kay said at almost the same time.

Decker turned and looked at Kay and Bai, feeling his face tighten. It was better than the stupid names others had given him and used so freely. Tag could call him what he wanted.

Both of them avoided Decker's eyes and disappeared into the house, coming back with two chairs. The four of them sat, Decker motioning for Tag to pour wine all around.

"I make the wine from berries. Let me know what you think of it," Tag said to Bai and Kay.

Kay took a sip, grimacing and opening his mouth.

"It's good wine, isn't it, Kay?" Decker said, staring into Kay's eyes

Kay looked at him for a long moment and then at Tag. "Best I've had."

Decker's eyes shifted. "How about you, Bai?"

Bai agreed. "It's real fine, Tag."

"That's good," Tag said, looking pleased. "You know, it's funny, Deck. I just realized I never asked what your last name was. I don't know why not. It just never did occur to me to do so. It must be hard to have the same name as that famous outlaw, Deadman Crane--" Tag stopped and went still, staring.

Decker looked back at him steadily. "That's what."

Tag's eyes shifted to Kay.

"Nice to meet you," Kay said. "Kay Guart."

"Kay Guart," Tag echoed, his eyes shifting again. "And you'd be Bai Cree."

"A pleasure," Bai said.

"Well, you're visible at least." Tag's eyes returned. "You're Deadman Crane?"

Decker grunted. He hated that moniker.

Tag gestured at him, shaking his head. "Why would someone like you want to socialize with a man like me? I'm nothing but a poor scratch cattleman."

"It just happened," Decker replied. "You got a problem with that?"

Tag made a face, tossing down his wine and grimacing, because some things didn't go with sweet and wine-sourness was one of them. Decker had already discovered that.

"Fuck you, Deck. I just didn't expect it, is all," Tag said.

Bai's brows went up, Kay glancing at Bai and Bai returning the glance. Both men leaned back and waited, alert.

Decker nodded, leaning forward and offering his glass. "You got any more of that wine?"

"I sure do. I brought an extra bottle," Tag said, pouring all around, everyone holding out their glasses now. "Decker Crane. Well, shit."

#

Tag pushed back his plate. "That wasn't anything I've had before, and it was a marvel. Thank you for the skill that made it and the hospitality."

Dawine smiled at him. Grace's eyes shifted between them and she looked down.

Tag cleared his throat, glancing at Grace. "I was thinking of going for a walk, it's so pretty here. But I don't know the woodland well. I could use someone to walk with me who does."

Decker's brows went up. Tag was good. That one wouldn't even have occurred to Decker to get a woman alone. Pretend to be incapable. They loved to help. He was going to use that one on Persya. The silence after that was thick and it stretched on, everybody waiting. Grace's cheeks were dark red. She glanced up and opened her mouth.

"I'll show you, Tag, if you're worried," Bryn said politely before Grace could speak, everyone releasing their breaths. "I couldn't ever get lost here."

Helping. It was just natural to them.

"No, Bryn," Persya said. "I'm going to need you for cleaning up."

"It's just a walk," Bryn said, frowning at her. "I'll be back."

"I need you now."

"I'll walk with you, if you'd like, Tag," Grace got out, to everyone's relief.

Tag stood up, holding out his hand. Rising, Grace came around and hesitated, taking it. He smiled down at her, drawing her to the door. She glanced back once and they were through it.

Chione blew out her breath, Lily leaning back and shaking her head.

Persya grinned. "I was afraid we were going to have to get him drunk and tie him up and leave him in her bed."

Yenna snorted laughter.

"What happened?" Bryn demanded, looking around.

#

It was later when Decker came out to sit in his spot. Grace passed by the window inside, her cheeks flushed and her step light.

"Hey, Tag," Decker said, not looking at him. "You want a drink?"

Tag spoke from the shadows of the porch steps, stepping out into the light. "I've had enough to drink, thank you. I didn't mean to skulk about, Deck. I just wanted to watch her for a time before I head back."

"You going to court her?"

"Of course not," Tag said, sounding irritable.

"Why not?"

Tag came up the stairs and rested one foot on the top step, his hat in his hand. He looked in, Grace going by the window again. "Look at her. She's so beautiful she takes my breath, and smart, with book learning and she's gentle and sweeter than those cookies. Look what I got. A small cattle ranch I can barely keep going if I work every hour of every day. A one-room shack in a toxic dustbowl. I can't offer her anything, Decker. She deserves riches. And if not riches, she certainly deserves more than what I got to give her."

"She could have had riches. It's not what she chose. She's made it pretty clear she prefers you."

"I told her about the ranch. She said it sounds nice."

"Did you kiss her?"

"Of course I kissed her," Tag said, sounding irritable again. "Who wouldn't?"

"If you're worried about defending her, I could make it real clear in town the consequences of coming for you."

"I appreciate you'd do that for me, Deck." Tag stepped back. "It won't be necessary. She's better off here."

"She'll be looking for you to come around."

Tag's voice was quiet. "I know. I won't be." He walked off the porch, putting his hat on his head and heading to the barn to get his horse, his shoulders slumped.

#

(Persya)

Persya watched Decker open the gate, the same one they'd both fled through when they'd met. He had the whaite blight nit eggs in a canister that he carried with a small nozzle.

"I need you so Bane doesn't murder me," he said behind her, closing it. "I don't have my new sat-reader yet." Going past her, he turned and sent her a hard glance before facing forward.

She followed. "What happened to your old one?"

"You made me drop it."

She was looking at the back of his head, that hat he insisted on wearing. "How could I make you drop something?"

"When I came to get you in the enclosure."

"What about it?"

"That's when you made me drop it."

"I was halfway across the field, Decker, with brikens chasing me. I hadn't even met you yet. How could I make you do anything?"

"By going into the enclosure in the first place."

"I didn't know you then, either."

"But I had to come get you. I didn't have time for anything else. It was a chain of events, I'm saying."

"That makes no sense. I could say it's your fault for not arriving earlier, causing me to almost get killed by brikens."

"You almost got killed by brikens because you went into the enclosure. You're adding things that didn't happen. I'm talking about what did happen. You're confabulating things."

Persya blinked. She didn't think that was what that word really meant. "I'm not. I didn't even know there were brikens in the enclosure when I went into it. How can this be my fault?"

"I didn't say it was your fault. I said you made me do it."

"How could I make you do anything? You made the choice, Decker. You dropped it. I didn't say to."

He was quiet. "But you did do that."

"I didn't."

He turned around, Persya almost running into him. His hand went to her arm and he jerked her toward him, his eyes dropping to her lips. He leaned down and kissed her, his mouth gentle. Drawing away, he shook his head lightly. "Were you born stubborn or did something make you that way?"

She smiled, feeling shy and glancing up at him. "I'm not stubborn."

He laughed, putting her in front of him. "Go that way. I'll tell you when to stop. I've got a water filter. We'll drink stream water. The less I have to carry, the better."

They weren't riding. He'd said the terrain where they were going was too rough. They walked all day, Persya aware of his eyes on her backside. She could hear when he spread the blight, small puffs while they walked. It was beautiful land, the season of renewal on Sur.

They stopped for a break. Decker was interesting to watch. He was graceful, his motions purposeful, and his face was familiar now. It was a hard face, compelling, always sending a small thrill through her. And Decker still watched her. It made her nervous and sent her belly fluttering. He looked more relaxed than he usually did. Decker looked up at the sky, almost idle. He was rarely so still.