The Ballad of Decker Crane Ch. 13 - END

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm going to break you," Beren seethed. "We made you what you are, you slut."

Two figures emerged from the open transport door and there were two loud cracks. On one side of her, a Prime officer spun away, and then the other did the same on the other side. Persya was left standing, looking at them and then at the figures, still in shadow.

"Couldn't you have at least have made her less stubborn?" a voice said, coming into the light.

#

(Decker)

He had to say, the expression on Persya's face was gratifying. She was attached to him, it seemed, and she looked all right, making threats and healthy in her mind. Decker's gut relaxed.

"Come here, baby," Decker said.

Cromwell had frozen, his hands coming up and looking around himself wildly for more Prime officers, but the other ones were already dead and hidden in a storage room. Cromwell looked understandably dismayed.

Beside him, Cab's gun was aimed at Cromwell.

Persya walked straight into Decker's arms, her body shaking against his. He looked down and tipped her chin, seeing her lip, which was bleeding. "He did that?"

She nodded.

He looked at Cromwell, whose mouth was also bleeding, worse, too, and a half-grin came to Decker's face, his eyes shifting back to her. "You did that?"

She nodded. His fingers raised, tracing her cheek, his eyes on her mouth, that vulnerable curve.

"You're okay, baby," he said. "Who's this fucker?"

Persya's voice was husky as she turned to Cromwell and made the introductions. "Decker, this is Beren Cromwell of Pedige. Beren, this is Decker Crane."

"The outlaw?" Beren said a little blankly. "The criminal?"

"I may be a criminal, but you are a savage, hitting a woman like that," Decker fumed. "What the fuck is wrong with you?" He gestured with his gun. "Get in the transport. We're going to take a ride."

Beren backed away, protesting as Cab caught him and patted him down, getting his handkerchief and pulling Beren's hands behind his back, tying him. Cab pulled him into the transport. Decker put her in front of him as she followed, shaking. The door closed behind them.

"A little pussy-pistol in his pocket," Bai said, taking it and shoving Beren into the seat. "Stay there."

"You have no idea who I am," Beren said, his face getting red as Cab threw himself in the pilot's seat, pushing buttons.

"Or care," Decker agreed, holding up a handcom. "But I'll tell you what I was going to tell those Prime pricks before they tried to murder all of us. It turns out that my land has safron. A lot of it. In fact, the one piece I sent to have analyzed turned out to have more safron in it than Prime mined when they ruined this planet. I sold it and then I got together with a bunch of other ranches and farms. Now that we have safron to run our terraformers, Sur is going to be a pretty planet again, cleaned up, and we'll have real ranches and farms and proper food and medicine on the frontier. We figured out agreements. We now hold the majority of safron in the system. The frontier isn't expanding anymore for a time. Prime officials have had all this explained to them. Isn't that right, Administrator Fohl?"

That had been a lot to say. Decker wasn't used to making speeches. He had rehearsed it to himself, Bane screaming and frothing not far. If they'd just let him get to it before they started shooting at people.

His handcom squawked. "Mister Crane, this is Administrator Levar Fohl. My aides are currently arranging an emergency meeting of the Prime Council--"

"I don't give a shit. Are those Prime pricks off my land yet? Don't piss me off," Decker said, getting mad.

"I don't have the authority to unilaterally command Prime Central forces--"

"I'll just shoot them then, since I have their guns anyway, stupid," Decker snapped. "Why does it always have to come down to violence with you people?"

"I'm sure that's not necessary, Mr. Crane. Just a moment. Yes, I've just been assured that all Prime Central forces on loan to the Cromwell family to enforce their claim to the retrieval of stolen property in the frontier have been ordered to leave Sur. In return, if you would make arrangements for our citizens, Dr. Leone Kine and Mr. Beren Cromwell, to be returned--"

"You forget about them. They're already dead in the heat of battle because you brought guns to my ranch."

"What?" Beren Cromwell said. "I'm not. Wait--"

"Cab, shut him up. I'm trying to talk here," Decker said, speaking into the handcom again. "Here's my demands to negotiate with the Free Frontier. First, the Pedigean consorts aren't property anymore. They're frontier citizens. The place they were made is already destroyed and the Cromwells won't make anymore. The consorts will stay here where they belong or everything's off."

"Mr. Crane--" Administrator Fohl said.

"Yes or no?" Decker said.

"Mr. Crane," Administrator Fohl began again, sounding desperate. "Pedige is a sovereign planet. I need time to consult with their--"

"I don't care if you need to step out and squat to take a shit and ponder the issue," Decker said, his lip curling. "What is wrong with you people? Events are in action. It's not time to think now. Make your decision or I'll pull all of it back and Prime will see its supply lines cut off within hours. You'll fucking starve before I let you have shit, you little prick. I have a petty nature."

There was a silence and then Administrator Fohl spoke. "I will give the order. Please understand that this is not something we have any protocol for--"

"Welcome to the frontier, asshole," Decker said, pushing the button and shaking his head, muttering. "Stupid son of a bitch." He changed channels. "Sally?"

"Did you get what you wanted, Decker Crane?" Sally's voice said out of his radio.

"I did. I thank you for letting me know and the help locating her."

"Just being neighborly. Is that to say you're not holding a grudge against the Red Door? Cochrain left a hole here and I've filled it. I'd like to know we have peace with Briken Ranch."

"There might be some inconvenience. I left some bodies in a storage room."

"We'll take care of it."

"I owe you, Sally. I won't forget."

As the transport rose, he looked at the man who was currently gagged, Cab's pistol at his temple. Beren Cromwell. It was a stupid name. He looked down at Persya, who was staring up at him. "Hey, baby."

"Hey, Decker," she said, smiling up at him, crying now, because women could do both and sincerely, he'd come to find. She sniffed.

He studied her. "I'd kiss you, you're so pretty, but your mouth looks like it hurts."

"I don't mind."

He bent, staying gentle, her mouth just as soft as the rest of her.

#

When they got back, everyone was waiting for them, the women and girls in the house and Tag and Bai and Kay standing in front on the porch with their guns drawn, not taking any chances. The officers and the other two transports were gone. It looked like the Prime pricks had left them the third transport and a bunch of fine rifles with safron bullets. Well, there it was. His wish, fulfilled, right there, like in fairy tales. His eyes shifted. And Beren Cromwell. It was generous.

Beren Cromwell rose like he was going somewhere, but he wasn't. Decker was going to feed this fucker to Bane alive and watch. They landed, the hatch opening. "You go on, baby," he said to Persya. "I'll be back."

But at that moment, Kay left the porch, holstering his gun and walking straight up and into the transport. He stopped in front of Cromwell.

Beren Cromwell froze, staring back at him.

"Who's this?" Kay said, his voice mild.

Decker made the introductions. "Kay, this here is Beren Cromwell, the rich Prime prick who thinks he owns the Pedigean consorts and who arranged for us to be gunned down in cold blood. I was going to take him for a ride to see the briken enclosure."

"Don't bother yourself. You stay here, Decker. I'll take care of things," Kay said, stepping forward and clapping his hands on Beren Cromwell's shoulders and turning him around, shoving him so he sat in the other chair. Kay was speaking to Cromwell even as he was settled in front of the controls. "You know, Mr. Cromwell, you are a handsome man. We're going to spend some time together alone, just the two of us. Like begets like. Our intentions matter."

Decker winced. Persya turned to look back at Cromwell as Decker led her off the transport, Cab coming with them. The hatch closed. They weren't going to see that fucker again, not after Kay got done with him.

"Hey, Deck," Tag said, approaching them with Bai, who was limping bad now. "I came as soon as I could. Who's that guy? Where's Kay taking him?"

Decker had to think of something quick. "I didn't know the women could do that shit," he said to Bai, ignoring Tag. He wasn't explaining Kay to Tag on that matter.

"It was strange," Bai agreed, looking away, making it clear it wasn't his task, either.

That was no help. At this point, it was a hot rock they were passing around.

"How much safron we got then, Decker?" Cab said, a brilliant move, evading the issue entirely and bringing up another more interesting.

"Safron?" Tag said.

Bai was also interested now.

"It's in the briken horns," Decker explained, grabbing at the topic. He gestured toward the caves. That information should distract Tag, although Decker would have to explain it all again. "They're eighty-three percent safron, concentrated in them. I found a pile of shed horns in the caves. The brikens are breeding now. We're rich. The whole frontier is going to be rich. You'll have the ranch you want, Tag, and you can free range your cattle as much as you like. We'll have terraformed planets and Prime isn't the power in the system anymore. We're going to have a say."

He looked down at Persya, who was watching his face as the women came out of the house.

"You are a secretive man, Decker Crane," she accused.

"Where's Kay?" Adya said, arriving and looking around.

"He'll be back later," Decker said. "He said to wait here, girl."

Chione walked up to Decker. "What did you say to them to make the officers leave, Decker?"

Decker sighed. He was tired of telling the story now, having already just told it to one person after another. "I told him we hold a shitload of safron from the briken horns and we're rich and the planets are going to get terraformed and Prime pissed off."

The rest of the women gathered around him now.

"What?" Yenna said.

"I am not going to fucking explain it again," Decker said. "You tell them, Chione."

#

A few days later, everyone watched as Tag pulled up in a new wagon, two new horses pulling it. He was freshly shaved and his hair was cut. His clothes were new. All his year's profits and savings had gone to it, Decker imagined. Tag knew Grace didn't ride.

Tag approached Grace on the porch, who had gotten to her feet. She looked down at them.

Clearing his throat, Tag spoke to the top of her head. "I was wondering if you'd like to come see my ranch, Grace. It's not much, but it's going to be. I understand if you want to wait until I have a decent place to bring you, and I'd be fine with just courting you for now, if that's what you want."

She glanced up at him, her cheeks practically scarlet. "Yes, I'd like to see it, Tag. I never cared about that."

"I know," Tag said, approaching her, reaching out and tipping her chin. "You ready to go home then? I'll have a better house for you soon, and there'll be trees and meadows and the wildflowers you love so much. I swear it."

Her smile practically lit the porch and then she nodded. "Let me get some things."

"All right," Tag said, turning around and going down the stairs, his step light.

Decker went with him to help load the wagon. Grace was still bringing things and hugging other women like they'd never see each other again. They were affectionate creatures.

Tag spoke in a low voice. "I don't know how I'm going to thank you, Deck, for all this."

Decker didn't look at him. "You saved my life at risk to yourself. Nobody ever did that before. You're the only real friend I got anywhere." He darted a glance at Tag. They'd never said it aloud.

Tag was looking away, his mouth tight. After a moment, he spoke, his voice a little hoarse. "You're mine, too."

Decker stepped back. "Bring her by soon."

Grace appeared, looking beautiful, of course, her eyes flashing at Tag, who stared at her.

"I sure will," Tag said absently, handing her up. He got up next to her, bending down and getting a new blanket and pulling it carefully across her lap.

She smiled at him, Tag staring again, getting a little lost in it.

"Goodbye, Grace," Persya called, waking him up, all the other women crowding around Decker with their pretty voices and their scents, calling and waving.

"Bye, Grace," Bryn yelled, leaning on Persya, whose arm came around her.

"You forgot your tablet book, Grace," Dawine cried from the porch, coming and holding it up.

"I'll come get it another time," Grace called.

"Goodbye, Grace," Lily hollered.

And so on, each one of them saying it at least once and some twice or three times. They were so strange.

#

(Persya)

The date they'd decided on came. She came out of the bedroom, seeing Decker in a fancy new hat and black frock coat, new trousers and a shirt vest, his shirt clean and white and his boots polished. He was clean-shaved and his hair was slicked back with water. He looked very handsome. To her surprise, he also looked nervous. She smiled at him.

He went still, looking at her all over. She was in a dress of dark gold lace fitted to her hips and a long skirt. More lace fell from her elbows, the dress off her shoulders and her neck showing and cleavage. Decker hadn't seen it yet, and she'd put blush on her lips and her hair up.

She waited. He didn't do anything, still staring.

"Well?" she finally said, turning around in front of him.

"You'll do," he muttered, his eyes going to her breasts.

Her smile faded. "You don't like it, Decker?"

He released his breath and got close, putting his face in hers. "Course I like it. It makes me want to do real bad things to you."

She smiled again, leaning against him, her hand going to his chest. "You look dashing, Decker Crane."

"Don't start that shit. Come on," he said, stepping back and grabbing her hand. "Let's get this over with before you change your mind."

He loaded her onto the seat beside him in the front of the wagon they'd borrowed from Tag, their wagon behind the one Kay was driving, Adya beside him. Everyone else was already in the back of one or the other. Persya settled in, smoothing her skirt.

"Our first child is going to be a boy, Persya. I'm not kidding," Decker said, clambering on, making the whole thing sway. "Make it happen."

"Do you want to do sex selection?" she said, holding on.

"Fuck no. Just have a boy."

"It's the man's genetics that decide that, Decker, not the woman's. By myself, I can only make another girl."

"I can't believe it is our wedding day," Decker said, taking up the reins, "and you're being stubborn."

When they got there, Kay pulled Adya down, other men in town gathering at a safe distance and staring at all of them. Adya hadn't ridden, being in her pretty clothes.

"We could talk to the judge, girl, while we're in town," Kay said, standing over her, Adya looking up. "I got the paperwork to make my mark on if you don't want to be an orphan anymore. But you might do better than me as a parent. I've been a criminal and an evil man."

"Yes. Yes, I want that more than anything, Kay," she said, her eyes wide.

Kay nodded. "That's what we'll do then."

Bai had gotten off his horse and gone to the back, retrieving Dawine. Chione had ridden in back with them for once, also in a dress, and Cab handed her down. Grace came next, blushing, Tag setting her on her feet.

Decker came around and lifted Persya down.

"There's no turning back now," she said, and now she found she was the one who was a little nervous.

"I didn't ask you to, did I?" he said, taking her hand.

#

(Decker)

It was a mess for a time. They called in men to construct the new houses so they'd be their own small town and then they had to watch the women and girls around the workers constantly, Decker getting pissed. He threw four of them off the ranch and almost shot a fifth for singing.

Everything had been almost done and it had been the end of the work day, the women staying mostly out of sight because they were so distracting. One man had fallen off a roof watching Dawine and Persya had insisted they get Grace and tend to him. Tag had ended up running him off, the man's arm in a bandage that trailed from his wrist and Grace calling instructions to the man from the porch on how to tend it.

After that, Decker and Tag had been having a drink on the porch, since he was already here. It had been pleasant, sipping Tag's shitty wine. Decker had just been tossing back the last of his when he heard it.

His eyes had shifted, his nostrils starting to flare.

Born to a whore on a mid-system moon

Young Decker Crane did know real soon;

The life of a miner wasn't one he'd take

On the frontier an outlaw he'd make

The hired men were gathered around not far, drinking whiskey, one of them strumming his instrument. Decker's heart had started to pound. He was just sitting on his porch in his own home. It was a bad song, a stupid song. This space turd.

Now Decker Crane, he was real mean

But the handsomest man you ever seen;

He'd shoot a man dead at his own pace

While the man was still looking at his face

-

So Deadman Cane did slowly gain

His ill gotten riches and his fame--

"You stupid son of a bitch," Decker said, exploding out of his chair.

"Run, Clyde," Persya called to the man from the porch railing.

Clyde bolted, running fast in another direction, still holding his instrument, small clouds of dust going up from his boot heels.

Decker chased him for a time without shooting him and then returned to the porch, breathing fast. "Fucker. He better run."

"Have some more wine, Deck," Tag said, holding out the bottle.

"Thank you," Decker muttered, coming up the stairs onto the porch. He sat, holding out his glass. Leaning back, he sipped.

Persya came and sat on his lap, curling up, and now he was content, his hand on her hip. She smelled good and was soft. It was difficult, but Decker was making progress. If he had to start over now, he'd lose all the ones he already hadn't killed.

Decker had been a better rancher, in his own opinion, than an outlaw, and certainly a better outlaw than some kind of politician. Persya agreed with him when he said it. A little too readily, he thought. He could have done it. He just didn't want to. Besides, it was his place that had the safron and had started things rolling. That was his contribution. He'd done what he could.

Chione took it up, agreeing to represent Decker's interests with Frontier and Prime. She'd still ride and carry a gun. People in Prime and the Frontier would learn to respect her, Decker imagined, or at least not to antagonize her. Cab would go with her, at her side. If she was mean when she got mad, Decker didn't doubt that Cab was going to be more direct in his approach.

After all the fuss of getting married, for their honeymoon, Decker took Persya hunting, away from everyone else. It was still a ranch. Bryn didn't come with them this time.

He was slower to meet his goal than any other year, but he didn't mind. She was quiet unless he wanted her to make noise, and he defiled her in the most pleasant ways, his eyes sometimes going to her fingers.

"Not again, Decker," she breathed, squirming and hot under him. "Please."

"Don't tell me what to do, stubborn," he panted.