The Battle of Dragon's Bay

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The island loomed before him, a great dome of earth rising from the sea. Bun's breath caught in his throat as the water churned ahead of him and a massive turtle's head rose from the sea. The monster's dull yellow eye passed lazily over him, and Bun swallowed in fear. It was not the first time he had seen the zaratan's head, but as with every time before, he found himself reconsidering dealing with the elf. The turtle was just unimaginably huge, its domed shell stretching more than a mile across, and its massive head overgrown with seaweed. In the water streaming from its head as it rose from beneath the sea, Bun saw fish the size of a man plunging back into the cold depths below. The turtle's jaw slowly chewed a strand of kelp the size of a tree.

But the great size of the creature was its only threat, and Bun's galley, dwarfed though it was by the zaratan's head, sailed past unmolested. As the great head dipped back below the waves, a sigh of relief passed over the galley from its captain all the way down to the lowliest of oarsmen and Bun turned his thoughts to making port.

The Sapphire Lord could gather many ships to his banner, yet at any time most of them were off prowling the waves in search of prey. This day was different, for nearly two dozen ships were moored to the zaratan's shell in sight of the palatial pavilion the elf had made his home. Bun wondered if word of the imperial fleet had preceded him.

He cast his eyes about the harbor, looking for one ship in particular, for he desired to know if the elf lord was in residence. His search was brief, for his eyes soon settled on a trio of vessels moored at the middle of the quay, where a path cut a straight line away from the water and to the grand pavilion.

The elf had three ships at his call, all built in the style of the Devouring Sea, far beyond the sunset. First was the corvette Unrelenting, an agile ship of twenty-four guns captained by his lieutenant Menaithas. Next was the frigate Starseeker, a frigate of thirty-eight guns and commanded by the renowned sorcerer Ramairan. Last and most feared was his own ship, the heavy frigate Tempest, a vessel of forty-four guns, including thirty mighty twenty-four pounder cannons on its gun deck, and a hull built of elden oak from the forests primeval that made the ship both lightweight and invulnerable to all but the heaviest cannons. It was the terror of the seas, and in all the ports of the world, only one legendary ship could ever surpass Tempest for its ability to chill the blood of an honest sailor with the mere mention of its name.

Bun admired the black and white hull of the ship as his own little vessel rowed past. Steely-eyed elves manned its decks and rigging, expertly going about their routine. A grim sentry stared down at him from the quarterdeck, a tall bow of white wood in his hand and a shining cuirass about his chest. Bun averted his eyes, fearing that he might provoke the sentry's jealousy simply by eyeing the magnificent warship.

His galley slid between two fat junks, likely the prizes of some fortunate captains, and threw its mooring lines over the gunwale. Slaves on the quay caught the lines and quickly tied them off and, after a brief inspection to make sure everything was in order, Bun disembarked onto the quay and headed for the elf's pavilion.

Ascending the path, he almost forgot that he was on the shell of a massive turtle that roamed the sea. With the creature's head underwater, it had the appearance of a grassy island dotted with trees, and the pavilion lay in the shade of the tallest of those trees. It was a great, pointed silk tent held up by a wooden frame, its exterior painted and embroidered with flowing elvish script and scenes of nature. Guards in glittering silversteel armor stood at the entrance, a yawning portal in the pavilion's side.

The guards' eyes passed once over him, but they made no move as he approached, for the young captain was known to them. Bun strode confidently between them and into the pavilion.

High above him, great chandeliers hung from the tent's roof, and beneath it there was always a feast. Hundreds of pirates sat around the room, drinking, feasting, and gambling in the candlelight. The smell of incense, spice meats, and fine drink overwhelmed Bun's nose as he entered, and the sight of a platter of smoked fish, carried by two naked slave girls, nearly distracted him from making his report. But he marshalled his senses and marched down the center aisle to where the Sapphire Lord had made his throne.

The elf had built a slightly raised platform at the center of the tent, illuminated by a skylight above, and covered it in pillows and blankets to make a massive bed. There, the Sapphire Lord knelt nude behind a naked slave girl, fucking her vigorously on her knees. The girl was pale and raven-haired, with little breasts that swung under her frame with each powerful thrust of the elf's hips. She squealed with each impact, her almond eyes squeezed shut and her little fists balling up the sheets beneath her. Behind them, a dozen other concubines, naked, bejeweled, and perfumed, watched with mild interest, passing a smoking pipe between them.

All around the platform, the Sapphire Lord was watched by admirers, most of whom fondled their own concubines in their laps. Bun stopped at the edge of the platform when the Sapphire Lord raised his hand, decorated with a filigreed platinum ring set with a sky-blue sapphire. Bun's report would have to wait, the elf was busy.

He fucked in powerful strokes, holding his concubine by her hips as he drove his cock into her and made her little round breasts shake. The girl moaned with each stroke and the elf's lips curled back in a hungry smile. Another naked slave girl approached through the crowd and stepped onto the bed platform, carrying a pitcher of rich red wine. She poured a cupful into a crystal goblet and handed it to her master, who slowed his fucking long enough to take and drink the wine.

With it empty, he handed it back to the girl and she retreated through the crowd the way she had come. Refreshed, the elf resumed his lusty fucking until he cried out and came inside the girl. He shuddered, grabbing her by her naked shoulders and holding her still while he squirted his seed inside her. He sat back on his heels, his long cock sliding limply out of her, and stared panting at the ceiling in satisfaction.

He stood up, crossed to where the wine lay and poured himself another glass. His concubine lay on her side a moment, her nude body on display for Bun, who waited impatiently with his cock straining against his trousers. Then she stood up and walked coolly past him without a word, her head held high and her master's cum dripping down her bare leg. Two of the elf's concubines rose from their seat and helped him into a garishly colored silk robe. Still sipping his wine and with his robe open, Caeruthir seated himself on the low bed and turned to Bun.

"You have something to report?" he asked coolly. Bun hesitated a moment, distracted by the elf's cock still hanging in the open and the sudden tittering among his nude concubines to the rear.

"I do," Bun said at last. "I have been all along the ports to the west and they report a great fleet gathering in the emperor's harbor of Shinza."

"For what reason?" the elf asked without a trace of concern. He sipped his wine again and straightened a pillow. A slave girl crawled forward and began to comb his long brown hair that hung down his back. "The war is over, the talk is all over the ports."

"A wedding, lordship," Bun replied. "He will marry a daughter to the Tyrant of the Alchemists' Cities, and she will sail in the pomp befitting her."

"Which means treasure," put in one of the elf's advisors. He was another elf, a tall, slender elf with dark hair and dark eyes named Linanthras who enjoyed the position of first mate aboard the Sapphire Lord's flagship. "Great treasure," he continued, stepping onto the platform to take a seat beside his lord.

"Indeed," Caeruthir agreed. "Silk, gold, priceless porcelain... And prisoners. Prisoners who might fetch a great ransom. But," he mused, regarding his now empty wine glass, "How great a fleet?"

"Perhaps forty warships," Bun replied. "I made my way into the harbor and saw them myself. They are led by the four massive junks constructed to lead his fleets at war, but the supporting ships are comparatively few in number. They still lack crews for the oared warships, and the emperor's men have never truly learned to sail."

"Forty warships is a formidable fleet, even for the Azure Armada," Linanthras muttered. "We would have to summon all our strength."

"And dividing the spoils among the fleet might scatter our winnings to the wind. Still..."

"And there is something else," Bun added. The elf raised an eyebrow in interest. "The terms of the treaty between tyrant and emperor were announced. They include the surrender of an artifact called the Axis of Heavens."

Both of the elves sat back in interest, and Bun noticed the same reaction among his other advisors seated behind the platform. A murmur went through them, and Caeruthir raised a hand to his chin. He whispered something to Linanthras in the elvish tongue, and the other elf barked a command to a waiting servant in the same tongue.

"I do believe that we will find something worth our time there. You have done well, Captain Bun." He pointed to a servant. "Reward this man with a silver talent. And put out the call to assemble the fleet. Linanthras, gather the others. We have a raid to plan."

---

As dusk fell over the zaratan, Caeruthir and his lieutenants gathered in a grove at the center of its shell. A ring of wards had been laid along the edge of the grove to protect them from prying eyes, and the elves seated themselves around a campfire in the central clearing. Overhead, tall pines rose into the evening sky. Stars twinkled above, just beginning to pierce the many-colored sky.

"This raid is risky," began the Starseeker's captain Raimaran. As a further precaution, they spoke the elven tongue of Tirannion, unknown to those outside his core crew. "Those great junks are huge, bristling with cannon, and too tall to climb. We'll have to crawl in through the gunports, or jump across from the rigging, and neither will be easy."

"We are strong in sorcery," said Menaithas, captain of the Unrelenting, "it should be an easy matter to overpower these ships."

"But how many ships can we muster?" asked Ramairan's first mate Syrandor. There are a dozen ships on the isle right now, and most of them are little galleys that will be blasted to pieces by the imperial fleet's guns."

"When does the fleet sail?" Ramairan wondered. "And how long do we have to muster our own fleet?"

"And will they come?" asked Syrandor. "They must recognize the dangers as well."

"I received a vision," Caeruthir began suddenly. "A great dragon flew over the sea, then it cried out, and plunged into the water. The sea frothed and bubbled, until at last a golden treasure floated to the surface."

"When did you have this dream?" asked Ramairan. "Was it recently?"

"Three weeks ago. Then ago nine days ago, and a third time last night."

They were all silent a moment.

"We will triumph," said Linanthras. "The vision tells of it."

"And the Axis of the Heavens?" asked Ramairan. "What becomes of it?"

"What is it?" asked Syrandor.

"It is an artifact that plots the course of the stars. Useful to astrologers, but invaluable to a captain who wishes to travel between worlds," answered Ramairan.

"Which Caeruthir has no interest in doing," countered Syrandor.

"True," Caeruthir said. "All that I desire is here, on Eros. However, there are others that desire it for their own ends."

There came a knock at the door. "Enter," called Caeruthir in the pidgin tongue of the pirates. An elderly pirate entered, and bowed to touch his head to the floor.

"A ship has just appeared in the harbor, my lord."

Caeruthir rose to his feet. Ships did not often put into port after sunset, but elves could see in the dark. His lieutenants followed him to the window. Mere humans would not have been able to see much except the torches that lined the quay, but elven eyes could peer through the darkness to see a ship drawing up against the shore. It was an eerie sight, for like Caeruthir's vessels it was a ship made of pale white elden oak, unpainted and bleached like bone. Its sails were reefed, but it slipped into a mooring berth like a hand into a glove, and swift hands disembarked to moor it, for few on the quay would approach it.

"The Veil of Spirits," Ramairan murmured. "You contacted him?"

"No," Caeruthir replied. "He had the same vision, I would wager. Come, let us see what he has to say."

They made their way dock to the dock, where the new arrival had been given wide berth by the otherwise boisterous throngs of pirates. Such was the vessel's reputation, though crowds still gathered to stare in whispering awe at his legendary ship from a safe distance. Caeruthir paused at the edge of the promenade. Ramairan stood close by, watching the ship with concern. The Veil's crew worked with alacrity, silently and surely. Their mooring lines fastened, they disappeared back aboard the ship.

Caeruthir waited. After a flurry of activity, the ship's deck and rigging were deathly still. A hush had settled over the crowd. The crowd of gawkers murmured impatiently. At last, the ship stirred. From the ship's hold rose a tightly knit group of elves, clad in silversteel helms and cuirasses. Above their heads gleamed the tips of glaives as they marched in perfect time down the gangplank and assumed a position along the edge of the quay with mechanical precision. They stood waiting, and the crowd murmured in awe.

At the gunwale appeared an elf, tall and proud. Upon his brow was set a diamond that glittered like the morning stars. Like his guards, he was clad in armor of silversteel, though he wore not only cuirass and helm but armor over his arms and legs as well and his gorget was set with a ruby that flamed in the starlight. At his hip blazed a bottle of diamond containing a raging tempest. With cold gray eyes that glittered like winter ice he surveyed the assembled crowd and his eyes lit upon Caeruthir, who felt his heart flutter. Elves did not know fear, but Caeruthir was in the presence of a living legend.

The Veil of Spirits' captain smiled ever so slightly and stepped onto the gangplank. A hush fell over the crowd, and it backed off an unconscious step. The captain's dragonhide boots clacked authoritatively on the stone and his eyes flicked to the crowd. Caeruthir heard the crowd gasp as one and they took another step back. Stars burned brightly overhead, and the captain smiled again.

He strode forward to stand before Caeruthir, looking down at the tall elf from his own imperious height. The newcome captain studied his opposite number for a long moment, his mouth curled up at the edges in an amused, mocking smile.

"Caeruthir," he said, his voice an ethereal melody. "It has been too long."

"A pleasure to see you again, Thoramar," Caeruthir said in carefully measured tones. "You are welcome to my island. I trust you find it to your liking?"

"I do not come for your island, nor your wine, nor your women. You know why I am here."

"Indeed. My dreams have been long."

"Walk with me," Thoramar commanded, and started off down the quay. With a look over his shoulder to command his lieutenants to remain, Caeruthir followed. "I want the Axis of the Heavens," Thoramar continued when they had moved out of earshot.

"It will be aboard the fleet," Caeruthir replied. "I will claim it."

"I will claim it," Thoramar corrected. "You are assembling a mighty fleet, but the Axis is mine."

"The fleet is mine, and so will be the treasure," Caeruthir countered. "I would be honored to sail with the Veil again, but--"

"You have no use for the Axis," Thoramar interrupted. He did not look at Caeruthir, and instead his eyes were watching the distant horizon, where presently a brilliant white shooting star fell streaking from above and disappeared below the waves. "I need it."

"I do not need it, that much is true. This is the only world I wish to walk."

"I am much the same," Thoramar replied, and Caeruthir's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Yet I need it all the same. You have seen what I have seen?" he asked.

"I had smoked much spice these last moons," Caeruthir began. "The visions are strange."

"They are frightening?" Thoramar inquired. His eyebrow raised, but he did not meet Caeruthir's eye.

"They are... inspiring."

That brought a chuckle from Thoramar. "Are they now?" He stopped and turned toward Caeruthir. Their eyes met, and a thousand spice dreams were reflected in Thoramar's eyes. Caeruthir saw the visions that had dominated his mind the last six months.

"You need the Axis," he agreed, and Thoramar smiled.

"You understand," he nodded.

"I would be remiss," Caeruthir continued hurriedly, "If I did not exploit my bargaining position. You need what I have."

"You do not have the Axis."

"I have the fleet."

"Do not waste my time, dear Caeruthir."

"I will bargain quickly then."

Thoramar chuckled again. "Very well. I will be honest with you, I care nothing for all the gold, spices, or silks. Keep it. Whatever you plunder from the fleet, I will stake no claim to any of it save the Axis. My crew will no doubt want their share, but I need nothing else."

"I would not waste your time bargaining over trinkets and baubles. I want your name."

"You have made a fine enough name for yourself already. The spoils you will win from your conquest will only make it finer."

"Among mortals," Caeruthir replied. "They mean nothing to me. This," he waved a hand at everything, "This is merely a stepping stone. I will return to Tirannion when this is done, and when I do, I will claim what is mine."

Thoramar smiled again, and this time Caeruthir saw that he had touched the elder elf's heart. "The rumors are true," Thoramar murmured.

"Indeed," replied Caeruthir softly. "I have so few friends at court, and your word would be worth more to me than all the silks of Leiyan."

"The greatest treasures are not so easily stolen," said Thoramar, quoting an ancient poet. He spread his arms wide. "How can I refuse?"

Caeruthir smiled in return. He held out his hand. Thoramar reached for it, then stopped.

"The Axis," he said, "And in return I will speak on your behalf. But when I have gone and returned, I will require your support. There is much yet to be done, even when the Axis is mine. Much yet to be wrought, reforged, made anew."

"It will be many years yet," Caeruthir agreed, "I do not know your path, save that it is long."

"Long and perilous. Gods be good, we will meet again. And at the end of it--"

"Home," they said together. Thoramar smiled again.

"We have a meeting of the minds."

"And maybe your dreams be restful again."

They clasped hands.

---

Daiyu's carriage clattered to a halt at the edge of the quay. She adjusted her veil and peered out of the slatted window. The quay was thronged with people, both common gawkers and longshoremen loading cargo onto the ships. The many merchant ships of the fleet lay at anchor along the quay, their gangplanks thrust forth like great tongues lapping up the treasures that were loaded aboard. Furs, silk, spices, gold, porcelain, and more were carried or lifted by crane into the ships' holds, trappings of her imperial household and gifts to her avaricious and temperamental husband. Daiyu shuddered.

"Look, your highness," gasped Zhi, pointing the other way. Daiyu followed her maid's outstretched finger toward the massive wooden behemoth that stood before them. Heavenly Grace, her father's flagship, loomed above them. Daiyu felt her heart flutter for a moment. The ship was a veritable floating fortress. Her gunports were open, giving the princess a good look at the cannons jutting forth as an ominous reminder that, despite the unsatisfactory end to the war, her father remained the most powerful man in the world. The junk's hull was impossibly thick, and Daiyu could not imagine the power of the guns that would be needed to blast through them. In a further display of might, a hundred guardsmen in gleaming armor lined the port side gunwales at rapt attention, spearpoints shining in the midday sun.

123456...8