The Beginning Ch. 15-16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Aye, laddie, we haven't," she responded, with a light Scottish accent of all things, "but ye can call me Senga."

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Senapati Senga," I said, formally, standing up to bow to her.

"Ye can drop all that 'Senapati' stuff with me, laddie," she replied, waving dismissively. "If ye ever serve under me, 'Commander' will suffice. To everybody else, I'm just Senga."

"That works for me," I agreed, her brusque attitude a refreshing change.

Byrav walked back in then, followed by the guard, who was wheeling Liz around on a hand truck. She was wrapped in thick chains and had an Inhibitor Cuff— Collar— around her neck, which actually covered the lower half of her face, too. The guard set her down behind the second "arm" table, the one closer to the door, opposite where Rishiji and the others were sitting.

"You can leave," Byrav commanded, waving her away imperiously as he took his seat.

"How would you like to begin?" he asked Rishiji, after the guard had left, shutting the doors behind her.

"Start with how your team captured Elizabeth," Rishiji told him, "followed by a debrief on her interrogation. Once your summary is on record, I will venture into her memories, followed by a look at Chris's."

"My team had been on the lookout for Elizabeth since the attack," Byrav recounted. "After the others had been debriefed and we knew the extent of her injuries, we theorised that she would head towards a Dark Wielder safehouse that also housed a Healer.

"As you know, the Dark Wielders are always on the move, and constantly shift the locations of their safehouses. We knew that she would avoid travelling by air, since airport security would be certain to flag someone as disfigured as she is. That meant that there was no way for us to know which city she would pop up in.

"I dispatched teams of five to seven separate locations along the Irish coast, assuming that she would try to flee to mainland Europe via sea. The rest of the locations are irrelevant, seeing as we finally located her being wheeled onto a nondescript boat in Aill Na Brun, two days ago. There were two others with her, whom my team overpowered and captured.

"Due to the nature of her injuries, they were forced to resort to more clandestine means of air travel to transport the three Dark Wielders to the Roman Academy yesterday morning, and through the portal, here, yesterday afternoon.

"Once they were processed, the three Dark Wielders were interrogated separately. Our interrogators managed to break through the mental defenses of the other two, and verified that they had no involvement in the relevant attacks. They have been locked up, accordingly.

"Elizabeth, on the other hand, somehow managed to thwart even the best of our interrogators. Since we could not break through her wards, we employed more Mundane means of getting answers."

"You mean that you tortured her!" I shouted, pointing at Liz, "Just look at the condition she's in! How can any of you be okay with that?!"

"That is rich, coming from the one responsible for divesting her of an arm and a leg," Byrav scoffed.

"Don't waste your pity on them, Chris," Mr. Ray interjected, surprising me with how calm he seemed to be. "The Darks willingly give themselves to evil. If torturing one of them leads to us saving hundreds of people, none of us have any issue with it."

"But—" I stammered, looking around the room, but seeing no agreement, even from Vaishnavi. It would seem that the world of the Wielders was a lot more unforgiving, and rougher, than that of the Mundanes.

"Moving on," Byrav continued, "after a few hours with her, my team had her singing like a bird, and that was when she confessed that it was Chris' own signature that attracted the Dark Wielder Cell.

"She also told us that Chris himself met with the Cell, and admitted that he had Emerged years ago, but had managed to disguise his signature while around other Wielders. He then conspired with them to take down his own parents.

"Furthermore, she attested that he offered to have a majority of his magic locked away, allowing it to seem like he had Emerged, and that he had agreed to meet with a Cell in Bengaluru once a month, to let them scour his memories."

"Stop," Senga interrupted him, "and tell me why in the hell we're just hearing about this now! This entire trial has seemed like a sham because ye didn't give us all the facts."

"They weren't relevant—" Byrav started to say.

"Nae relevant me arse!" Senga exclaimed, pointing a finger at him, seeming to fall into a much heavier accent in her annoyance. "I ken tha' ye think we're nae as important as ye 'cause we're weaker, but tha's nae an excuse fer leavin' us winnae information."

Byrav's haughty attitude seemed to get on everybody's nerves, not just mine.

"Calm yourself," he stated. "It would do you well to remember your place, Senapati Senga. I don't need to throw down the figurative gauntlet, do I?"

"I agree with her," Vaishnavi pitched in, "you should have brought us all up to speed before calling for a trial."

"Noted, Agrayodhin," Byrav responded, through clenched teeth. "Now, can we continue?"

"For the first time since this trial began," Rishiji commented, standing up, "I can actually see a reason for it happening. Chris, with this new information in mind, do you still acquiesce to having your memories read?"

"I do," I consented, "because I still maintain that I'm innocent, and that I have nothing to hide."

"Very well," Rishiji acknowledged, walking over to me, "let us begin with you, then."

I nodded as he sat down next to me, and placed his palms against my temples. I closed my eyes, surprised as I felt a presence brushing against my mind. I recoiled instinctively, trying to push it away.

"You have grown quite aware, already," Rishiji murmured. "I did not expect you to sense my probe. Please try to relax and not fight me."

I nodded, trying to focus on something else to dampen my defensive reaction. Quite naturally, my thoughts turned to what Liz allegedly fessed up to. All through Byrav's monologue, I'd been growing more and more worried. Not that I'd be found guilty, of course, because I knew I was innocent. No, I was worried about the fact that everyone else in the room, Mr. Ray included, almost seemed to believe him. The revelation that they were okay with someone being tortured deeply shocked me, too.

"Things are not that simple," Rishiji said, and I opened my eyes to see that we were standing in a mindscape. "We have to account for the fact that everything that Byrav is saying sounds plausible. While we do have faith in you, we cannot presume to know anything until all the facts are brought to light."

"I get it," I agreed, pushing my worries aside. "Just tell me what I need to do."

"I do not wish to be intrusive or disrespectful," Rishiji told me, walking over to the portal into my mind, "so please think back on the days leading up to your birthday."

I did as he asked, following his instructions as he told me how to slow my thoughts down enough for him to scan them. Seeing them this way, from inside the mindscape, was just like reliving them. I could feel all the emotions, smell the pervading scents, hear the ambient noises, and feel whatever I was touching. It was amazing!

On my request, we skipped over the memories of my parents dying, as they were just too painful. I was completely taken aback when we arrived at the memories of my fight that night, though. I'd recently regained my memories of the fight, sure, but to feel that degree of Power flowing through my body... it was amazing.

"Is that what I'll be able to control some day?" I asked, in a quiet whisper.

"No," Rishiji replied, "you will actually be able to Wield roughly four times as much."

"That's insane!" I exclaimed.

He just nodded, asking me to continue playing through my memories, till I woke up in the hospital.

"That will suffice," he stated, walking away from my portal, and vanishing before I could ask him anything.

By the time I'd opened my eyes, Rishiji had already moved to stand in front of Liz, and had his hands on her head. Her eyes were open wide, and she was twisting and thrashing in her bonds, her shouts and curses muffled by the Collar.

A few seconds later, she froze, eyes open wide, before going limp, as her eyes slid shut. Nothing happened for a few tense moments, and we watched on in silence, till Rishiji stepped away from her with a sigh.

"Maitreya!" he called, and the guard walked back into the room. "You can take her back now. She should be unconscious for a few more hours, but after she wakes, please see to it that she is fed well, and that her wounds are examined by a Bhisaj. Tell them not to regenerate her arm or leg, but that they should heal the rest of her wounds."

"On your command," Maitreya said, bowing deeply, before wheeling Liz out of the room.

"Rishiji?" Mr. Ray asked, "What—"

"In a moment," Rishiji responded, turning to the long table. "Swati, go get the others, please."

She nodded and stood up, walking back in with the other commanders in tow. They took their seats, and Rishiji walked over to stand in front of the table I was seated at, to address them.

"While you were gone," Rishiji began, "Byrav revealed a number of details you should have been privy to. In the interest of not wasting time, I shall not be repeating them, but they are on the record, if you wish to peruse them at your leisure.

"As far as Chris Michaelson's innocence or guilt is concerned, I have journeyed into his mind, and into that of Elizabeth Drake's, and I now have a full picture of the truth. Chris Michaelson was not the reason the Cell managed to locate his parents. It was Agrayodhin Vaishnavi Vashisthputri-Lanka who led them to Agrayodhin Michael and Bhisaj Swamini Lia."

"Me?!" Vaishnavi exclaimed, "How was I responsible?!"

"Not responsible," Rishiji corrected her, "and the blame for this does not fall on you. The Dark Wielders have a number of agents embedded into the Bengaluru airport. One of them recognized your name when you went through Immigration, on your way to Ireland with Michael.

"Elizabeth Drake was then directed to intercept the two of you at the Dublin airport, and follow you to Michael's residence. Once she had confirmed Michael and Lia's identities, the rest of her Cell started to make their way to Ireland. It just so happened that the last of them got there on the morning of the twentieth of January."

"It was my fault, then," Vaishnavi muttered, forlornly, "because I was the one who wanted to travel 'legitimately', so as to make it easier for me to enroll in Chris'school, just in case they asked for my passport, and whatnot."

"I don't blame you," I said, "so drop that thought. The only ones responsible for the attack, and the death of my parents, were the Darks."

She nodded and shot me a soft smile, but didn't seem too convinced.

"This can't be!" Byrav thundered, slamming the gavel on the table, "I know that Chris is guilty! I'm telling you, he's a spy, and if we don't kill him, we're going to be attacked!"

"Do you doubt that I am telling the truth, Senapati Byrav?" Rishiji asked, almost challenging him.

"No," he responded, still fuming, "but I don't believe in his innocence."

"Bring me proof," Rishiji said, "and I will listen."

Byrav just nodded, glaring at me.

"With that said," Rishiji continued, turning to the Sapt Senapati, "I trust that this tribunal is satisfied that on the night in question, Chris Michaelson did in fact Emerge, and that his actions were a combination of self-defense and a loss of control as a result of his Emergence, neither of which he can be held accountable for."

Six heads nodded in agreement, while Byrav just continued to glare at me, as if trying to stare me into admitting something.

"And lastly," Rishiji said, "I trust that the matter of Chris being some sort of spy for our enemies has now been settled, and has been factually disproven."

Six cries of "aye" rang out through the room.

"That is a majority," Rishiji said, turning to me. "Chris Michaelson, you are hereby absolved of all aforementioned accusations levied against you. You have the gratitude of this tribunal for your cooperation, and our apologies for any undue duress. Let this be the last we speak of this."

"Let this be the last we speak of this," everyone else intoned after him, Byrav included, almost like it was some sort of ritual.

"Let this be the last we speak of this," I chanted as well, after a glance and a nod from Mr. Ray.

That seemed to indicate the end of the hearing, and the tribunal broke up into smaller groups and started filing out. Byrav stomped out alone, while Swati walked over to Vaishnavi and Mr. Ray, and Rishiji walked over to me.

"I would like to personally apologize to you, Chris," he said, reaching out a hand as I walked around to the front of the table on wobbly legs, "I wish you did not have to go through that, but I needed to remain aloof and impartial till all the facts were brought to light. I hope you can understand that none of us believed that you were a spy, but we have to entertain all possibilities."

"I understand," I assured him, clasping his hand and shaking firmly, "separation of Church and State and all that."

"Quite so," he agreed, smiling, "though I must admit, you had all of us going for a second there, earlier on. Your verbal defense was quite admirable, all things considered. Did you know that this was going to happen?"

"I didn't," I said, "but I loved reading courtroom dramas when I was younger, and imagining what I'd have done in similar situations. I guess all those hours spent daydreaming of being a bigshot lawyer weren't quite such a waste, after all!"

We had a hearty laugh at that, and we shook hands again, before he took his leave. Vaishnavi, Swati, and Mr. Ray walked over to me then, though Vaishnavi didn't look all that happy.

"Chris," Vaishnavi said, in a low tone, "I'm so sorry for any part that I played in your parents' death."

"You have nothing to apologize for," I assured her, surprising her with a hug.

She nodded into my chest, sniffling softly, as I just held her for a while. I must admit, any romantic aspirations I had towards her were quickly receding, being replaced by an almost familial feeling.

"Anyway," she sighed, pulling away, her face switching to a stern expression, "let's get one thing straight. While your crazy plan worked today, a tribunal headed by the Sapt Senapati isn't something to joke around with. They have the authority to execute those found guilty, and that may very well have been how today ended. I need you to promise me that if something like this ever happens again, you will take it seriously."

"I promise." I vowed, her somber tone killing any elation I felt at my victory, in that moment.

Swati just congratulated me on a great defense, before reminding me that none of this had affected my training schedule, whatsoever. She took her leave, then, and Mr. Ray and Vaishnavi offered to accompany me back to my Abode, for a bit of rest and some well-earned breakfast.

Any attempts I made towards discussing the trial were deftly deflected by Vaishnavi and Mr. Ray. It seemed the whole, "last we speak of this," bit was something they took very seriously at the Academy. I did, however, get them to tell me about Byrav's history with my father, over breakfast.

When he was younger, my mother was actually one of his teachers, and he developed seriously romantic feelings towards her. He pined after her for years, finally admitting the way he felt when he was twenty-three, even though she had met and married my father by then.

Owing to the insanely long lifespan Wielders are blessed with, age isn't something they were overly concerned about, when it came to relationships. Once a Wielder was an adult, they were free to date, or even marry, other adult Wielders.

The fact that most Wielders I'd met so far didn't act their ages probably made that easier. When I asked Vaishnavi and Mr. Ray why a lot of Wielders acted the age they looked, they just shrugged, and admitted they didn't know. That was a mystery I'd have to solve by myself, it seemed.

My mother's rejection of his advances hit Byrav hard, and he challenged my father to a formal duel, figuring that if he could become the Champion of the Indian Academy, he'd manage to woo her. The ensuing battle was so one-sided, and it actually hurt Byrav's reputation so badly, that he was almost a pariah for a while.

That actually worked out in his favor, as I learned that the "Guptachar Senapati" was the spymaster of the Academy. Byrav's brief exclusion from Wielder society was enough motive for the clandestine operations team to recruit him, and he quickly rose to be their commander.

Clandestine operations were literally a gray area as far as the Academy was concerned. Due to the nature of their work, the need to go undercover, the lengths they sometimes had to go to, and the way they had to get up close and personal with the Darks, spies had to submit to rigorous mental and magical scrutiny every time they returned from a mission.

It wasn't unheard of for a spy to completely go off the deep end, and turn Dark themselves. When that happened, the spymaster was the one responsible for hunting them down and eliminating them. It was one of the reasons nobody really wanted the job.

Byrav seemed to be the exception to that rule. He embraced his role as a spy wholeheartedly, and reveled in performing his duties as spymaster. The job did leave scars on his psyche, though, and he seemed to be spiraling down a dark path over the past few decades. That at least explained his sudden, almost psychotic, breaks, and the way he lashed out at me.

They also told me that Byrav had never really gotten over my mother, and that even though he got together with Vaishnavi, and they got married, she still suspected that he pined over my mother. It was why he hated my father with a vengeance, a hatred which seemed to have transferred over to me.

Honestly, he reminded me of a certain long-haired wizard from a very popular fantasy series. I wondered if Byrav would similarly redeem himself in the future, and end up protecting me. It was a pleasant thought, if nothing else.

Mr. Ray accompanied me back to the main building after breakfast, where I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I would be joining his "Tactical Studies and Battle Strategies" class. Like, an actual class, with classmates, homework, assignments, and grades. I never thought I'd actually be happy to be back in any sort of classroom setting, but the sense of normalcy it brought with it, almost had me in tears.

It definitely helped that the rest of my classmates were my age, actually eighteen, and that there were only twelve of them. My addition made us a baker's dozen, and I felt like I would fit right in, from the get-go. They were open and welcoming, and seemed to treat me as any regular old person, which I truly appreciated. All of them knew my heritage, who my parents were, but none of them gave me any grief about it. It was perfect.

My second round of training with Swati that evening deflated some of the high I was on after class, but that was more due to the bruising, than the exertion. Seeing as my Power levels hadn't regenerated much, we stuck to sparring and bare-handed training, which seemed to be an amalgamation of multiple martial arts. When I could no longer move, Swati dismissed me for the day, herself and Vince accompanying me back through the forest.

Swati actually traveled to my Abode with me, and took the time to show me how to reach out and search for Artifacts, and pointed out which ones did what. With that, I could power my house and fix myself meals, a degree of independence I'd been longing for, ever since I'd woken up.