The Black Cat, Vol. I, No. 6, March 1896

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“Mr. Arburton is here?”

“No, ma’am. He started to go up to the Heights on business, and said he should stay to lunch at his house.”

That explained everything. The house by the lumber yards was simply a fancy of her disordered brain. She would go at once to their villa-home on the Heights. On arriving there she was not able to find it. Now thoroughly alarmed, she decided to go to her mother’s. Both her homes had disappeared, perhaps forever. She put her hand to her fevered brow. It was icy cold. She trembled as if chilled with terror.

“To think that beautiful home was all a wild fancy—to think I’ve lost that dear, homely, lovely, hideous house by the lumber yards. I fairly loved it. I’ll never stir out of it again—not even to find that colonial villa. And my husband, too,—he may be a fancy—a mere phantom—”

She looked at her wedding ring.

“No. I suppose he is real—”

She stood silent and tearful, looking off over the vast prospect spread out below her. The avenue ended at the very edge of the bluff and gave a magnificent view over the river and valley below—the very view she had dreamed she saw from that chamber window—

Suddenly a picturesque chimney appeared above the edge of the bluff. Then two pretty finials of wrought iron. Then a red roof appeared. Was she dreaming—or—? A number of people on the sidewalk stopped to view the remarkable spectacle. She heard a policeman remark aloud:

“The quare house is going on duty agin.”

The colonial villa stood before her. The front door opened and her husband appeared.

“Lunch is ready, love. Come in as soon as you can, as I want to move back to the lower town.”

“My dear! Am I crazy—?”

“Guess not. Where have you been all this time?”

“But, love!” she cried, “is my mind unbalanced?”

“Guess not. You seem reasonable.”

“Is this our uptown house?”

“Certainly, dear. Do come in to lunch.”

“Then where is—the other house?”

“Right here. Do come into the house, dear. The elevator boy is in a hurry to move her back again, as he can’t go to dinner till we are safe at the bottom of the hill.”

Young Mrs. Arburton entered her uptown house and closed the door. When in the privacy of her colonial dining-room she kissed her husband with enthusiasm.

“My love! It is distinctly great. How does it work?”

“Touch the button in the kitchen once, and the elevator boy will move her up. Touch twice and he will let her down again. You see, dear, I found it was not convenient to live in two houses at the same time, so I bought the old horse-car elevator and put a house in the car.”

“But, my love—the colonial villa and the cheap three-story frame house.”

“Oh! That’s all right. The front is early colonial, the back is recent American, as befits the two landings on the elevator.”

“How perfectly lovely. When I don’t want to be at home to the people on the Heights I live below, and when I’m tired of the lumber yard people I’ll live at the top.”

“Yes. And when we don’t want to see anybody, we can stop her half way. Come. Let’s have lunch while she slides down.”

[Illustration]

ADVERTISEMENTS

=Mrs. Jack Frost= doesn’t mind the cold, not a bit!

Why _should_ she when her skirt and coat are lined with SPONGE CRÉPON which makes her so stylish to look upon, and keeps her as warm as a toast? She uses the “Red Selvedge” brand of Sponge Crépon with the famous linen net interweaving that makes it so light that you wouldn’t know it was there if it wasn’t for the beauty and comfort it gives.

Copyright ap’d for.

We’ll send our booklet, “France—the Mother of Fashions,” and free samples, if you’ll write.

Sponge Cloth Mfg. Co., P. O. Box 160, Lockport, N. Y., Makers. Gilbert Mfg. Co., Dept. W., 514-516 Broadway, New York, Sole Agents.

When writing please mention THE BLACK CAT.

* * * * *

AYER’S

The blossom of beauty roots in the blood.

The blemishes of beauty,—pimples, blotches, eruptions,—can be removed by purifying the blood with

AYER’S SARSAPARILLA.

Curebook No. 1 tells about it. Free. J.C. Ayer Co., Lowell, Mass.

* * * * *

THE BOSTON HERALD.

New England’s Greatest Newspaper.

The New England advertising field is the best on this continent.

In this great field The Boston Herald stands supreme. Its circulation, character, and influence make it the ideal newspaper.

Its Purchasing Power is Unequalled.

* * * * *

10 times out of 10

The New York Journal recently offered ten bicycles to the ten winners in a guessing contest, leaving the choice of machine to each.

ALL OF THEM CHOSE

Columbia Bicycles

_STANDARD OF THE WORLD_

Nine immediately, and one after he had looked at others. And the Journal bought Ten Columbias. Paid $100 each for them.

On even terms a Columbia will be chosen TEN times out of TEN

POPE MANUFACTURING CO. HARTFORD, CONN.

1896 Art Catalogue free from the Columbia agent; by mail for two 2-cent stamps.

* * * * *

Consumption

AND ITS CURE

TO THE EDITOR:—I have an absolute remedy for Consumption. By its timely use, thousands of hopeless cases have been already permanently cured. So proof-positive am I of its power that I consider it my duty to _send two bottles free_ to those of your readers who have Consumption, Throat, Bronchial or Lung Trouble, if they will write me their express and postoffice address. Sincerely, T. A. SLOCUM, M. C., 183 Pearl St., New York.

In writing please say you saw this in The Black Cat.

* * * * *

IF YOU’RE A PIPE SMOKER

A TRIAL WILL CONVINCE THAT GOLDEN SCEPTRE IS PERFECTION

SEND 10cts FOR SAMPLE PACKAGE—PRICES 1lb 1.30; ¼lb 40cts. POSTAGE PAID, CATALOGUE FREE. SURBRUG, 159 FULTON ST., N.Y. CITY.

* * * * *

The Imperial Hair Regenerator

NO MATTER HOW GRAY YOUR HAIR IS—OR BLEACHED—OR SPOILED BY DYES—MAKES IT BEAUTIFUL, NATURAL, HEALTHY.

=Restores= Gray Hair to its Original Color.

=Regenerates= Bleached Hair.

Gives it new life and vigor, and makes it any color desired.

It is guaranteed by court tests absolutely harmless—and genuine. There are many substitutes. Refuse to take them.

No. 1.—Black. No. 2.—Dark Brown. No. 3.—Medium Brown. No. 4.—Chestnut. No. 5.—Light Chestnut. No. 6.—Gold Blonde. No. 7.—Ash Blonde.

PRICE, $1.50 and $3.00.

Send a sample of your hair, and we will restore its color free of charge.

IMPERIAL CHEMICAL MFG. CO. 292 Fifth Avenue, New York. Between 30th and 31st Streets. Take Elevator.

* * * * *

_Guaranteed Circulation._

_On the proof-slip of every advertisement set in the Composing Room of the_

Boston Post

_appears this_

GUARANTEE:

_This advertisement is accepted on the distinct guarantee that the regular actual, bona fide sales of the Daily =Post= in Boston and vicinity, =Each Morning=, are =greater= than those of the =Herald= and =Globe combined=._

_FIRST IN MORNING SALES._

SLIP FROM THE

_Boston Post._

December Circulation.

_Daily Average_ =86,753= _Sunday Average_ =96,160=

* * * * *

Puritana

_It Cures from head to foot._

Trade-Mark.

_It makes the Weak Strong._

Nature’s Cure

Puritana cures disease by naturalizing and vitalizing the Power Producer of the human system,—the stomach.

PRIZE FORMULA OF Prof. Dixi Crosby, M.D., LL.D. DARTMOUTH COLLEGE

It cures case after case, _from head to foot_, whether the suffering is due to disordered _Blood, Liver, Stomach, Kidneys, Lungs, Brain, Nerves, or Skin_.

If you are a sufferer get of your druggist this great disease-conquering discovery, (the price is $1 for the complete treatment, consisting of one bottle of Puritana, one bottle of Puritana Pills, and one bottle of Puritana Tablets), all enclosed in one package, or write to the undersigned, and you will bless the day when you heard of Puritana. The Puritana Compound Co., Concord, N. H.

* * * * *

RUB IT IN that....

The Orient

(Built like this.)

Is the FINEST Wheel of ’96.

Branches:

Chicago Boston Brooklyn New York Detroit Omaha Waltham

Features:

Big Balls Big Hubs Big Tubing Pneumatic Saddles Orient Fork Adjustable Pedals

The Waltham Mfg. Co. 241 Broadway, New York, N. Y.

Write for Cat.

* * * * *

IF YOU WANT THE BEST GARDEN

in your neighborhood this season

PLANT OUR FAMOUS

SEEDS AND PLANTS

all of which are described and illustrated in our beautiful and entirely =New Catalogue for 1896=. A new feature this season is the =Free= delivery of Seeds at Catalogue prices to any Post Office. This “=New Catalogue=” we will mail on receipt of a 2-cent stamp, or to those who will state where they saw this advertisement, the Catalogue will be mailed =Free=!

PETER HENDERSON & CO. 35 & 37 Cortlandt St., New York.

* * * * *

“My Boy—

LE PAGE’S LIQUID GLUE

will not mend broken bones but I don’t know anything else it won’t mend—and mend it so that ’twill stay mended, too.”

* * * * *

HAIR CLOTH

“Survival of the Fittest.”

_Send for Samples._

For Interlinings—Lasts Forever

AMERICAN HAIR CLOTH COMPANY Pawtucket, R. I.

* * * * *

American People Read Standard Newspapers

That’s why

The Boston Daily Standard

Has the LARGEST CIRCULATION of any REPUBLICAN NEWSPAPER in New England, a

Fact

THAT ANY NEWSDEALER WILL PROVE.

Its CONSTANTLY INCREASING advertising patronage shows for itself how

It Pays

To interest STANDARD readers. If you are not one, WHY NOT?

Send for sample copy.

* * * * *

ESSEX

10c. Feeds 10 Plants 1 year. Ask your dealer for the _10c._ package.

If he does not keep it send us 16c. in stamps, and we will send it by return mail.

Flower Food FOR House Plants AND Window Gardens

Latest Cheapest Best

Produces Healthy growth and Generous flowering.

Russia Cement Co. GLOUCESTER, MASS.

* * * * *

_Waverley_ BICYCLES.

ARE THE CHOICE OF EXPERIENCED RIDERS,

Those who have learned to know the difference between a wheel that actually is high grade, and one that is simply claimed to be. Others may be good, but the Waverley is the =Highest of all High Grades=. =REWARD= of a new Waverley Scorcher is offered to each person who recovers a stolen ’96 Waverley during 1896, payable upon presentation to us of satisfactory proof of the facts and the sentence of the thief. This reward is open to every one excepting the owner of the stolen wheel, but is not payable to more than one person in any case.

ART CATALOGUE FREE BY MAIL. INDIANA BICYCLE CO., INDIANAPOLIS, IND.

* * * * *

The Black Cat

FOR

April, 1896,

Will contain the following

Stories _THAT ARE_ Stories.

All original, all copyrighted, all complete, all “captivating tales cleverly told,” and

ALL FOR 5 CENTS.

=The Mystery of the Thirty Millions.=—By T. F. ANDERSON and H. D. UMBSTAETTER. A startling recital of the unparalleled adventures of the ocean steamer, _Oklahoma_, whose disappearance with 643 human souls and thirty millions of gold, threw two continents into a fever of excitement.

=The Man at Solitaria.=—By GEIK TURNER. A realistic account of how the Man at Solitaria, single-handed and alone, ran the Great Western Railroad System to suit himself.

=The Compass of Fortune.=—By EUGENE SHADE BISBEE. The weirdly impressive tale of a man guided by sightless eyes to an independent fortune.

=A Surgical Love Cure.=—By JAMES BUCKHAM. An up-to-date remedy for the love fever, and its unexpected results.

=The Williamson Safe Mystery.=—By COL. F. S. HESSELTINE. In this absorbing tale is presented for the first time, the solution of one of the most daring and inexplicable series of burglaries ever conceived.

=How Small the World.=—By E. H. MAYDE. A triangular love story in which, by means of a common confidant, two young people who hate each other in Massachusetts are brought to love each other in Colorado.

The Black Cat is sold by Newsdealers. If yours hasn’t it, and won’t get it for you, _get another newsdealer_. If you haven’t a dealer, send us fifty cents and we will mail you for a whole year, The Black Cat, postpaid. The Shortstory Publishing Co., Boston, Mass.

* * * * *

THE APEX OF Bicycle Perfection

is represented in the Monarch. All the bicycle goodness that the best bicycle makers know is incorporated in this king of wheels. No chronometer could be made with more care, or with greater accuracy. Every part of the Monarch is in perfect harmony with all other parts. So perfect is the distribution of weight, so accurate the adjustment of gear, that the Monarch will outspeed, outlast, outrival, any wheel on the market to-day.

Made in 4 models. =$80= and =$100=. For children and adults who want a lower priced wheel the =Defiance= is made in 8 models, =$40=, =$50=, =$60= and =$75=. Send for the Monarch book.

MONARCH CYCLE MFG. CO., Lake, Halsted & Fulton Sts., CHICAGO. 83 Reade St., New York.

* * * * *

A Roll of Braid

is a little thing, but there is a place in the world where they make a good many million rolls every year. It’s a small place—its biggest boast being two capitals and the greatest braid factory on the earth. In fact, to say “Rhode Island,” is to think “Goff’s Braids.” No matter what part of the land you visit, there you find =Goff’s Dress Braids=. Face your dress skirts with =GOFF’S BRAID=, which is the best made. Sample roll, any shade, for four 2-cent stamps.

D. GOFF & SONS, Pawtucket, R. I.

* * * * *

RIDGE’S FOOD FOR INFANTS AND INVALIDS

THE MOST RELIABLE FOOD IN THE WORLD FOR INFANTS AND CHILDREN

SOLD BY DRUGGISTS

THE BEST DIET FOR INVALIDS AND OLD PEOPLE

FOUR SIZES .35 .65 1.25 1.75

_Woolrich & Co._ ON EVERY LABEL

* * * * *

Wheeling at night With the “Search Light”

—IS A PLEASURE.

SEARCH LIGHT

for ’96.

The Flame Cannot Jar Out.—The new patent method of attaching the Lantern to the wheel makes this an impossibility.

Burns either Kerosene or Benzine, and the packed reservoir prevents the spilling of oil.

The Polished Reflectors are so protected that they cannot become blackened or tarnished.

A Combination of Lenses makes most intense and penetrating light.

THE ONLY strictly First Class Bicycle Lantern on the market.

_WE LEAD_, all others follow; compare all other Bicycle Lanterns with the “Search Light,” and you will agree that _They Are All Behind_.

Of all Cycle Dealers or delivered free for price, $5.00.

Bridgeport Brass Company, BRIDGEPORT, CONN., or, 19 Murray Street, N. Y.

* * * * *

The Traveler

Is the Only Boston Member of the Associated Press....

It Publishes More News, More Pictures, More Stories, More Special Features, More Advertisements, and has More Push, More Independence, and More Growth than any other Boston One Cent Newspaper.

A Modern Newspaper At a Modern Price.

One Year’s Growth

The Traveler’s Circulation Gain 139 Per Cent. The Traveler’s Advertising Gain 145 Per Cent. The Traveler’s Gain in Number of Advts. 363 Per Cent.

Are You Reading It?

Eight to Sixteen Pages. One Cent a Copy, Six Cents a Week, Twenty-five Cents a Month, Three Dollars a Year.

* * * * *

CLIMBING METEOR.

GREATEST OF ALL NEW ROSES.

=CLIMBING METEOR=, now offered for the first time, is really a =Perpetual Blooming Climbing General Jacqueminot=. Though a sport from that finest of all Hybrid Teas, Meteor, it is much larger and of a deeper, richer color, equalled only by the peerless Jacqueminot, and will produce twenty blossoms to Jacqueminot’s one. It is a Rose which will make 10 to 15 feet of growth in a season and show a profusion of bloom every day. Foliage strong, healthy and luxuriant. Buds exquisite: flowers large, beautifully shaped, and of that rich, dark, velvety crimson color seen only in the Jacqueminot. We do not hesitate to pronounce it the finest Rose in existence for summer blooming, as it will make a large growth and is loaded with its glorious blossoms from May until November. For winter blooming it has no equal in beauty or profusion. Just the Rose to train up in a conservatory or bay-window, where its exquisite blossoms will show to wonderful advantage every day, summer or winter. Quite hardy, and will produce more flowers than a dozen ordinary Roses.

=PRICE=: Strong, well rooted, healthy plants, for abundant blooming at once, =30c. each; four for $1.00; nine for $2.00.= By mail, postpaid, guaranteed to arrive in good order.

6 EXQUISITE NOVELTIES for 20c., postpaid, as follows: Cupid Dwarf Sweet Pea, Scarlet Pansies, Weeping Palm, Margaret Carnation, Giant White Scented Verbena, and Dwarf Flowering Canna.

1 LITTLE GEM DWARF CALLA, grows only 8 inches high; perpetual bloomer; most exquisite pot plant, postpaid, for 25c.; 3 for 50c.

12 LOVELY NAMED GLADIOLUS for only 25c. postpaid; each bulb correctly labeled, fine colors, white, pink, yellow, scarlet, blush, blotched, striped.

1 JAPANESE GOLDEN MAYBERRY, grows 6 to 8 feet high, hardy, branching like a tree; bears great golden berries of luscious quality, which ripen earlier than Strawberries. 25c.; 3 for 50c.; postpaid.

_Or everything above offered, including Rose, for 75c., postpaid. Order Now._

=Our Great Catalogue= of Flower and Vegetable Seeds, Bulbs, Plants and Rare New Fruits is the finest ever issued; 136 pages, profusely illustrated with elegant cuts and colored plates. We offer the choicest standard sorts and finest Novelties. We are headquarters for all that is New, Rare and Beautiful. Do not miss Rudbeckia Golden Glow, Giant Imperial Japanese Morning Glories, New Cannas, Chrysanthemums, Mayberry, Tree Strawberry, and other great Novelties. Mailed for =10 Cents=, or =FREE= if you order any of the above articles. Address _JOHN LEWIS CHILDS, Floral Park, N. Y._

* * * * *

For Flowers Indoors.

Bowker’s Flower Food.

A rich, concentrated fertilizer, odorless, made from chemicals; applied in solution once or twice a month makes house plants grow vigorously and blossom profusely.

A small spoonful for a 2 inch pot. A larger spoonful for a 4 inch pot. Enough for 30 plants, 3 months, 25c. For a whole year, 50c.

We pay the postage and send a book on “Window Gardening” free with each package.

BOWKER FERTILIZER CO., 27 Beaver Street, New York. 43 Chatham Street, Boston.

* * * * *

Stock Buyers and Bankers

Take care of money—subject to check—give interest on deposits.

Buy and sell for cash or margin ONLY the securities listed on New York Stock Exchange

Investors of money