The Black Rose

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Love or money?" Dominic asked bluntly. Roisin had realised early on that Dominic saw life from a different angle to most people, and because of that, he could make intelligent judgment calls, that were, if nothing else, practical.

"I bumped in to someone earlier." Roisin started. "Literally." She added. "She is really nice, and I want to ask her out, but I really don't know how to go about it."

As expected, Dominic said nothing for a moment, considering every factor available. "Is she attracted to you?"

"I, erm, don't really know." Roisin answered. "To be honest, I'm not even sure she's interested in women."

"Tell me everything." Dominic instructed, placing a note pad and pen on his desk.

Taking a breath, Roisin took a breath, closed her eyes and began to recount every detail she could remember from the chance encounter. When she finished she opened her eyes, feeling flushed again from the remembered emotions.

"That's very impressive." Dominic commented. "I know a few people who would pay a great deal for someone, who could interaction with a stranger and recall that much detail."

While the offhand remark would annoy most people, Roisin took it for what it was meant, a compliment to her meticulous memory, and Roisin waited patiently for Dominic's advice.

"Did you know that the Qu'ran forbids same sex relationships?" Dominic asked.

Roisin felt her heart drop.

"It also forbids altering the body in any way. To change the body that God designed is an affront."

Silence fell, and seconds ticked by. Then Roisin realised what Dominic was saying.

"She has tattoos." She cried out, suddenly feeling elated. "She doesn't follow her religion to the letter."

Dominic nodded. "Exactly, but that doesn't mean she will be attracted to you. It just means her mind is open to life. If you don't mind me saying, she sounds very interesting. Did you know that Charon is the name of the entity that carried the souls of the dead across the river Styx?"

She wasn't aware of what the river Styx was, let alone that there was someone who actually had that crappy job, but sensing that Dominic was going to disappear down a tangent path, Roisin interrupted. "So where do you think I should run with this? I thought about learning that greeting Muslims say to each other."

"As-Salam-u-Alaikum." Dominic informed.

"Yes that sounds like it." Roisin nodded. "What does it mean, just so I know I'm not being insulting or anything?"

"It means, peace be unto you." Dominic told her. "And traditionally, that is the most respectful way to greet someone of the Muslim faith. She should then respond, Wa-Alaikumussalam wa-Rahmatullah. That means, May the peace and mercy of Allah be unto you to. And is the expected response for any Muslim when greeted correctly."

"Thanks." Roisin told him, repeating the phrase over and over until Dominic nodded at her pronunciation.

"Also." Dominic added. "She will most likely be a vegetarian and abstain from drinking alcohol."

"Really?" Roisin asked surprised, realising that removed a few options of possible dates if things went to plan. She also realised that if she wanted to stand any chance of a relationship with Charon, she would have to know more about the Muslim faith. "What else can you tell me that may be useful?"

Dominic smiled the same flat expression that preceded a parting with a metric tonne of information, and Roisin settled in for another long night.

***

As arranged, Roisin arrived at the tattoo shop at the same time that Charon arrived. Although technically, she had arrived nearly an hour before and had hovered around the area until she spotted Charon approaching, then hastened to arrive at exactly the same time Charon did.

"Hi Roisin." Charon greeted. "I'm glad you came back. I've done some drawings for you." She indicated the folder under her arm.

The voice was just as beautiful as it had been the day before, and somehow, Charon looked even more exotic. Roisin couldn't actually decide if she was more attractive with, or without the Hijab, that today was an emerald green, a colour that wasn't lost on Roisin, as being significant to her homeland.

"As-Salam-u-Alaikum." Roisin greeted, hoping she managed the pronunciation correctly.

Charon's perfectly shaped eyebrows shot up so far, Roisin feared they would vanish under the edge of her Hijab to never reappear.

"Wa-Alaikumussalam wa-Rahmatullah to you Roisin." Charon replied. "Did you learn that especially?"

Roisin's stomach knotted, she desperately wanted to appear cool and confident, but she just felt awkward and foolish. "I asked a friend." She managed.

"Your accent is awful." Charon told her smiling. "But the intention isn't lost on me. Thank you. Shall we go and take a look at my sketches?"

Feeling like she was walking through wet cement, Roisin tried to figure out if there was a hidden meaning behind Charon's words.

Charon led Roisin through a doorway in the back of the shop reception, and down a short hallway.

"There are three of us that work out of here." She informed Charon. "We all work as freelance artists and rent our studios off the owner, but I hope to get my own place one day."

They entered the last door and walked in to a clean and well organised workspace. Charon laid the folder on an easel and opened it. "Have a glance at those." Charon instructed. "I just get changed."

Roisin glanced at the first picture. A black rose in full bloom that was similar to the one she had seen the previous day. As she turned the page, Roisin glanced up directly in to a mirror, behind her reflected image, Charon was standing by a locker, her upper body uncovered. The light brown skin of her back was separated in to two halves, one un marked, the other a myriad of shapes and colours. On her shoulder was what looked like a sun symbol, the center of which was a crescent moon and star of Islam, then radiating outwards from that image was circles of text, which Roisin guessed would be Quranic, but from her lack of knowledge could be anything. The remaining space reminded her of the pictures she had seen of the inside of mosques, hundreds of intricate shapes forming an alluring pattern. As Charon raised her arms to pull on a white vest top, like the one she had worn the day before, Roisin saw the word 'faith' spelled out on her torso, but each letter was formed out of the flowing Arabic script. With her upper body covered again, Charon turned around and briefly met Roisin's eyes and she looked away, blushing at being caught staring. Although in that brief meeting of eye contact, Roisin thought she saw the touches of a smile on Charon's lips.

Turning her attention back to the drawings, Roisin felt her breath snatched from her lungs. There was a drawing of a woman sitting on a stool with her back to the artist. Her upper body was unclothed and she was facing to her left, with her right arm raised to touch the black hair of her head. The stem of a black rose curled up her spine to bud outwards forming three blossoms, one on each shoulder and one the nap of her neck. By the proportions and hairstyle, it was fairly obvious the drawing was meant to be Roisin.

"This is beautiful." Roisin managed to say.

Charon managed a slight squeal, a noise that Roisin didn't think could possibly come from that divine mouth, and placed her hands on the picture, trying to cover it up.

"Fuck, that wasn't supposed to be in there." Charon said anxiously. "Sorry, I was sketching so you could see what it may look like, and I got carried away."

Elation buzzed through Roisin. Not only had Charon actually spent time doing a very beautiful depiction of her, in what looked to be a fairly sensuous pose, but was also nervous about her seeing the drawing. Things were looking up.

"Honestly Charon, it is a beautiful drawing." Roisin assured. "Considering you did it from memory, it is bloody impressive."

"Do you think?" Charon asked, removing her hands from the sketch. "I'm a little shy about my serious art."

"Could I buy this off you?" Roisin asked, wanting to have a reason to continue the conversation.

A hint of colour touched Charon's cheeks once more. "I couldn't possibly sell it." She said demurely. "But if you really want, when I get your ink finished you could sit for me and I will do a proper portrait of you."

Things were going from awesome to fucking awesome in Roisin's book. Not only would they now be spending the time together while she got tattooed, they would also meet up afterwards.

"I would love to be your subject." Roisin agreed.

"That sounded so wrong, but I think I like the idea." Charon giggled, sending warm flushes through Roisin's body once more.

The pain from the tattooing needle was numbed by the feel of Charon's gentle hands as they touched the skin of Roisin's back, even though they were encased in latex gloves. It was oddly sensual, laying down on the padded table, the top half of her body uncovered, while the woman she was attracted to stabbed her repeatedly with a sharp needle. In truth, Roisin decided that the reports she had heard of the amount of pain involved had been exaggerated.

"How are you feeling?" Charon asked. Her voice soft and caring.

"Doing okay." Roisin replied, finding it awkward to speak with the side of her face laying on a pristine white towel. To be fair, it was the most time she had spent in one place not moving in weeks, and she was actually enjoying the moment of stillness, even if her back was stinging.

"Cool. Don't forget, just let me know if you feel feint or anything. I figure there is around four or five hours work here, which will be done over a few weeks, just to give time for each one to heal up a little.

"Awesome." Roisin muttered, her head fogged with lack of sleep and numbing pain. In the depths of her mind, Roisin conjured the image of Charon's gently soothing her skin with a loving massage, and felt her nipples harden as they pressed in to the towel that covered the table. A small happy smile touched her lips as she slipped in to a content sleep.

***

Rosin checked the fridge for the twentieth time. There were two bottles of mineral water and two of both orange juice and apple juice. She had cleaned the apartment from top to bottom, twice. Although, in reality the first time had consisted of picking up the various items of clothing, and assorted items that Ellie had left scattered around. Most of the assorted items, being either black leather, or steel. Thankfully none of them were made of rubber and occasionally vibrated.

"Rosie, have you seen my handcuff keys?" Ellie called out from her room.

"Hanging up by the door." Roisin replied, taking a deep slow breath. Rio and Ellie were supposed to be going to the beach for the day, leaving her the apartment to herself for when Charon called around to begin the portrait. But as normal the disorganise pair were running late. Mainly due to Ellie not being able to decide what not to wear.

The doorbell buzzed and Roisin stiffened.

Ellie bounced past, wearing a bikini that covered very little and a beach robe. Around one wrist was fastened one half of a pair of handcuffs, the other hanging loose. "Can you get that for me Rosie. it should be Rio."

She took another breath and opened the door, praying that it would indeed be Rio, and not Charon. She really didn't want Charon's first visit to the apartment to involve explaining why there was a half nude woman in a state of semi bondage, wandering around.

"Hi Rosie." Rio's eternally smiling face greeted. "Is Ellie ready to play?"

The way the question was phrased, made Roisin wonder for the millionth time, it the two of them were actually safe out on their own, or if they should have some adult supervision.

"She won't be long Rio." Roisin told her as she let the happy Asian girl in to the apartment. "Now you are only going to the beech aren't you? No letting her run around nude, and no swimming in handcuffs." In Roisin's head, the speech sounded like a mother speaking to a very dysfunctional pair of children. She sighed again. How did she end up being the responsible 'parent' for such a pair of bazaar creatures?

"We'll be fine." Ellie interrupted as she barged past, a large beach bag was slung over one shoulder, that made a metallic chinking and a soft buzzing noise.

As they descended the steps to road level, Roisin watched Rio slip a hand under Ellie's robe causing Ellie to give a little squeal and a laugh. Roisin closed her eyes and murmured a short prayed to the old gods, that she wouldn't get a phone call to say they had been arrested. When she opened them again Charon was stood at the bottom of the steps. Roisin felt as if she had stepped out of the world of chaos she lived in and in to a tranquil oasis of peace and beauty.

"Was that your roomie?" Charon asked as she skipped up the stairs.

"The taller one." Roisin confirmed. "Rio is her partner, and I just hope that can stay out of trouble for a couple of hours."

"Aw, they look really cute together." Charon said, with what sounded like a slight wistful tone to her voice.

"You have no idea." Roisin laughed as she welcomed Charon in to the apartment. "If you ever meet another pair like them I will be amazed."

"You know, I like your laughter Roisin. When we first met, you seemed so serious all the time."

Roisin felt unsure how to reply, she wanted to say that it was because of Charon's friendship, but was still to introvert to say that openly. "It must be climate."

"That and the sudden drop in air quality." Charon joked. "Wow, I like the apartment." She added looking around the main living area.

"I've no idea how long we will be able to stay here, but it is fairly cool." Roisin agreed. "Can I get you anything?"

"Actually." Charon asked prudently. "Could I just borrow a small space to say my Dhuhr prayer."

"Course you can." Roisin agreed hastily. "Do I need to do anything? Do you need to be on your own?"

"Roisin. It's a five-minute prayer, not a gynecological examination." Charon replied grinning. "If you really like you can watch, but it isn't very interesting to a non-Muslim."

Having come from a very strict Catholic background, and fought against it at every turn, Roisin had no desire to become enrapt in a different religion. So feeling awkward, Roisin settled for taking a seat and watching quietly.

Charon slipped her short boot off and took up position with her back to the window overlooking the ocean, with her hands at shoulder height and began her prayer. As the chant progressed, Roisin listened to the almost musical chant and went from feeling awkward, to honored to be allowed to watch Charon perform her religious ritual. There was something personal and private about the scene, but at the same time, open and honest.

Once Charon's prayer was complete, she unwound her Hijab, shaking the side of her hair that was long out on to her shoulder. "Thanks for letting me do that." Charon smiled. "I'll take a coffee now if you have any."

Suddenly the center of attention once more, Roisin sprang to her feet and hurried nervously in to the kitchen. "No problem, how do you like it?"

"Strong, dark and sweet." She answered. "A little like you."

There was a crash as Roisin dropped the coffee cup she was holding. "Crap. Sorry? What was that you said?"

Charon moved closer to Roisin and brushed the slightly errant fringe of her hair away from her eyes. "Can I just do something, before you blow a fuse?"

Feeling her heart booming in her chest, Roisin looked in to Charon's eyes, wondering what was coming next.

"I just want you to know, I am not in the habit of throwing myself at women." Charon said, placing her hands on Roisin's shoulders.

The sun in Rosin's soul slipped behind the moon and everything was eclipsed in darkness.

"That being said, I also believe that some things should be experienced, before deciding it if is right or not."

Roisin didn't get the chance to say anything, as Charon's coffee coloured lips pressed tightly against her own mouth, and a snake like tongue darted in to her mouth, exploring what lay beyond her own lips.

Unable to speak, and not really wanting to, Roisin ran her hands over Charon's hips and round to the small of her back, gently pulling her body in closer. She felt one of Charon's hands touched the tender area of her neck where the freshly tattooed skin was, then lithe fingers twirled in her hair, increasing the pressure on each other's lips.

Wanting more, but not willing to push too hard too fast, Roisin settled for accepting the embrace and long extended kiss, melting in to Charon's soft skin and breathing in her delicious scent.

When they parted, they both breathed deeply.

"Okay." Charon said, licking her lips, tasting Roisin again. "Now we have that out of the way, will you just relax a little." The coffee coloured lips curled in to a slight smile, and the deep brown eyes sparkled with humour.

"Sorry." Roisin gasped. "Was that a serious kiss, or just to get me to relax?"

"Did you want it to be a serious kiss?" Charon asked, her expression slightly mischievous.

Not trusting her emotions, Roisin's hands gripped the counter top behind her, hoping to bring a little stability and control back in to her system. She was certain she knew what she wanted, but wasn't sure if Charon wanted the same thing. "You have no idea how much I want it to be serious." She blurted.

"And finally, we managed to get you to say what you actually think." Charon broke in to a short laugh. "Did you really want a tattoo that first day? Or were you just trying to get to know me?"

A hint of light sparkled back in to Roisin's world and the first glimpse of the sun broke around the moon again.

"I was trying to get to know you." Roisin admitted. "I was so taken by you I would have followed you no matter where you were going."

"I thought as much." Charon nodded, the comical glint still in her eyes. "It was the sweet puppy dog way you were hanging around outside the parlor waiting for me to arrive, that made me like you so much. Then I got tired of waiting for you to ask me out, and decided someone needed to make the first move."

The brilliance of the suns corona, as it emerged from behind the moon, threatened to blind Roisin, but she didn't care, because the light was coming straight from Charon, and she wanted to burn in the warmth of that radiance.

"Do you want to go out sometime and maybe get a meal or something?" Roisin asked hesitantly.

A silvery peal of laughter tumbled out of Charon's mouth. "I thought you'd never ask. Now are you going to come and kiss me? Or do I have to be the one to make the first move all the time?"

The pent up frustration in Roisin finally broke the dam it had been building up behind, and her eagerness flooded out, needing to run its course. Two short steps brought her close to Charon, and she threw her arms around the object of her affection, drinking in her musky scent and tasting her lips once more.

"This shirt feels expensive." Charon muttered in between kisses. "Is it?"

Roisin's memory flashed to the designer shop that belonged to Zabina. The place Dominic had told her to pick up any new items she wanted and charge them to the club account. She had been shocked at the price of the garments, but loved the sensual feel they had against her skin, and picked out three of the crisp white shirts to wear at the club.

"Yes fairly expensive." Her honesty won over her need.

"I'd better take my time then." Charon told her as she began to unbutton the shirt.

With her head swimming at the speed they were moving at already, Roisin tugged at the plain white t shirt tucked in to Charon's jeans, searching for the flesh underneath. By the time she could lay her hands on the bare skin of Charon's waist, the buttons of her own shirt were all undone and Charon, fervently pushed the smooth linen off her shoulders, letting the shirt bunch up at Roisin's elbows and exposing Roisin's braless breasts.