The Bluebells of 1918 Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Eosphorus
Eosphorus
668 Followers

"Do you hear something? Listen for it."

We are silent. The distant drone of engines grows louder.

"What is it?" she asks.

I get out of bed. "I'm not sure."

I go by the window, Emeline behind me. Her hand is on my bare shoulder. I open the window. The night fills with the loud, steady humming of multiple engines.

"Those aren't trucks," I say.

"Airplanes?" Emeline asks.

I don't think so," I say. "They'd have flown over by now. This is moving slower."

I lean out the window. The moonless night is pitch black and filled with stars. The Milky Way is visible.

Wait. Something else is out there. It's immense, blocking out the stars as it nears.

"My god," I say.

"What is it?" Emeline asks.

"Don't be afraid. It won't hurt you."

"What is it?"

"A German airship."

She gasps, gazing out the window.

It draws closer, the droning of the engines deafening. It's flying low, only a couple of hundred feet above.

The long black shape passes over us.

It's one thing to see a Zeppelin on the ground a mile away at Meuberge. This is something else. This monster is in the air over our heads. Blocking out the stars themselves. Buzzing like an entire squadron of planes.

"It's going west," I say. "A night raid."

"On where?"

"London? Paris, maybe?"

"What a horrible thing! I hate it!"

Her voice starts to break and I hold her close. "Don't worry."

I keep my gaze out the window. The dark shape of the airship passes by on its awful mission.

I'd heard the Germans had abandoned their zeppelin program and switched to fixed-wing bombers. I guess that's not entirely true.

The last of it is past us now. The whirring remains.

Neither of us speaks. Soon, the sound recedes. A few minutes later, silence returns.

How do these fucking Germans build such things? Airships hundred of yards long. Electric fences hundreds of miles long.

How to defeat such maniacal ingenuity? Because we must.

I shut the window. Emeline buries her face in my chest. I kiss the top of her head and hold her. "It's okay. Everything will be okay."

Will it? Who knows? I just want her pain to stop. I can't stand her being unhappy.

I'm in trouble, aren't I? I love her. There's no question anymore.

But that's not all. That damned airship! It's reminded me of what I'd rather forget.

No more delays. I've got to get back to this fucking war.

Eosphorus
Eosphorus
668 Followers