The Bond

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Whence came you?" He bit out, not able to hold it in any longer.

"From a kingdom far from here." She answered truthfully. "I am the spoils of war, but never call me a whore again!" She hissed in her own anger.

"If you do not want to be called a trollop, then do not act like one!" He huffed and turned away. "What is it you want from me?" He snarled, smelling himself and not liking it.

"To have you sworn to the cause of the person who controls my actions." She sneered back.

"Why?" He turned and froze her mid word. The look on his face was thunder. "I can smell a lie and so far you have spoken the truth but not all of it. We are stuck here for the next few months, so make it easier on both of us and answer the question fully the first time and save us both the trouble."

She looked at him for a long moment. "You remind me a bit of my father. It took twenty soldiers to fell him." She sighed. "I will do as you ask, as long as I do not break a vow." She shook her head.

"Go on." He sat down knowing this was going to be a long tale.

"I was sent here a sennight ago, my Master hearing of your return." She weighed her words. "It is said there is nothing that can hold you, no man can bend you to his will. It is my job to give them that one thing that will call you to heal." She spoke quietly. "It is said you have no family to threaten, no love to capture no children to ransom. I am to supply something to make you come to bind yourself to my Master for his own needs and wishes."

"Impossible. I am a free man. Free of oath to country or Lord. Why would I ever pledge myself to one now? And they are right, I have nothing to barter or threaten and as of yet met my match with weapons or whit." He shrugged. "Besides which, I am no longer training men. I have chosen to farm. I will find me a wench to keep the chill off and live out my days just as I started them, naught but a farmer." She laughed at his words.

"I find that part hard to believe." She couldn't contain her mirth. "You a farmer, that would be like calling me an ugly peasant girl!"

"How did they find me?" He asked shrugging.

"They have been keeping watch over this valley since you put this house here. There are rumors and legends of the wayward mercenary who prowess on the field is unmatched. There have been spies on you for a long time."

"Like I have made it hard for them." He chuckled. "I've fed enough of them. They did me many favors over the years." He looked at her. "Whence come you? No more distractions woman."

"I come from the far north. My tribe has been there for longer than these places have been called anything but the wild south. My family has been chieftains for thousands of years. It was through an unholy alliance with the bastard who calls himself my Master, that my Father was felled so an upstart could capture his herds. My mother was killed and I was taken as the spoils of conquest. My brother will return and set this to rights and I have vowed to play my roll until that day."

"And that affects me how?" He asked unimpressed.

"I know my worth man!" She hissed at him. "As you said, it is a long cold until we see the world outside this valley again. I have my vow, and I will keep it." She pulled her valor around her like a cape.

"Even if I took what you offered and you were with child when I send you away once the pass is clear again that would matter not to me. I have no family and will never have one." It was the lack of emotion that convinced her.

"You are no better than any of the others of your kind." She hissed. "You would sell your child into slavery!" She bated him.

"No, I will never have a child especially with a woman who offers herself to me in my own home as ransom for my freedom so easily. Neither you nor any of your kind can enslave me, no matter how comely you are!" He was getting angry and didn't know why. "If you become with child because I take what is freely offered in my own bed, it would be you condemning them into slavery, not me. It would be your child to be taken not mine. So, why sully yourself with a bastard or a husband you do not want, for I see that much in your eyes? Why are you really here?" He stood up and over her.

"You are the lesser of two evils!" She snapped, off balance not used to being so openly denied. "I rather be taken by known warrior, than a cowardly cur whose only claim in life is from the noble bitch's crotch he crawled out of!" She was all but spitting.

"But my lovely, you offered it to me openly, standing naked in homecoming, ready to rut. I have never taken a woman by force. I never use force to bed women. I never have to." He smiled, knowing he had her now. She has lost her head and thus lost the battle.

"Damn you to hell!" She cursed him.

"He may well, but that is his choice not yours." He replied flippantly. "Even the hound knows I am right or he would be biting my head off!" He looked at the huge animal stretched out between them at their feet.

"This is not over man!' She huffed looking at her friend and companion, wondering why Kahn lay there so calmly. It had been a trial for her to keep him contained ever since they started their journey together after the death of her father.

"It is for now. Find another pallet for I plan on using mine. If you join me, I will take what is offered. It has been years since I have had release in something more than a camp follower." He scowled as the storm raged in the background. "If your beast makes a mess, there will be hell to pay!" He stripped off his tunic, not caring about the feeling of her eyes traveling over the scars that crisscrossed his body.

"Do any live who made a mark on you?" She asked stunned. She expected him to be fierce, to be angry, and to even rape her, mad with his lust, to achieve her goal. But, she never expected him to be worthy, or so beautiful.

"None, as it should be." He flopped down on his pallet and instantly regretted it. He smelled her in his covers.

*****

Three days the storm raged. Three days and three nights they avoided each other as much as possible. Three days the hound watched every move both of them made only going out for a few seconds to relieve himself, not minding the biting wind, snow, ice and rain. On the forth, the sun shone into a high window.

"Come you with me." He ordered. "Kahn, go and scout!" He ordered the wolf opening the front door. Kahn burst out and stretched his legs in a full run. He kept his pack mate in sight and scent distance, but he needed to run and hunt. He knew instinctually the new man thing would not harm his pack mate.

"Where are we going?" She asked stepping out into the biting cold, not making any outward sign of it affecting her. She was used to the cold.

"Which way did you enter my valley?" He asked looking down on her.

"Through the ravine to the west." She pointed. He walked briskly towards the place, not caring if she could keep up or not. When they arrived at the over look, he pointed.

"It has ice and snow for now, it will flow full of water come the spring and dry up by midsummer." He turned her so she was facing him. "There is no safe way in or out until the first thaw. The valley will be more pleasant as it is mostly protected from the wind and little of the snow. If you get hurt or sick, you will most likely die up here if it is beyond my meager healing skills." He was just informing her of the realities of her situation. "Were you really ready to lay with me that easily?" He asked before he could think better of it.

"I rather fall from the highest cliff than lay with you or any man not of my father's choosing!" She spoke fiercely "But, if you did succumb to your lust, then I would have fulfilled my vow and been able to go back and wait for my brothers to return to me what is mine. The bastard would think that he had the one thing to make you bow to him. He is a fool, but I have no choice."

"I give them until the new moon." He changed the subject.

"Who?" She asked looking at him.

"The men hiding in the cave over there. I figure they have enough supplies to last that long. Then they will either come to you for help or attack." He looked at her, the question in his eyes.

"That would depend on if they were sent by the Cur, or one of his enemies. He has started to collect them. It is why he insists on your servitude. He knows with your reputation none would be so bold to attack him."

"Are you any good with the weapons you carry?" He asked, still looking at her, his eyes unflinching.

"Yes." She said truthfully. "I have much practice with them. They are as familiar to me as Kahn and just as comforting."

"Good!" He turned and headed back to the house again not caring if she kept up or not.

*****

The attack came without warning other than Kahn going on alert. There were five of them, expecting to win by complete surprise. In seconds three of them were dead and the other two turned to run. She brought one down with a well placed dagger in the back and Kahn had the other in a death grip by the shoulder and neck.

"Kahn... NO!" He shouted. "I need one alive." The huge wolf shook his victim one last time and spit him out. She placed her daggers back in her boot and watched the man to see what he was about. For her, the only good enemy was a dead one. He put his boot on the chest and sword to the neck looking down at the pathetic lump on the ground.

"Whence came you?" He asked coldly. "What was your mission?" He ignored his blood dripping off his face from a lucky stab.

"I cannot, they will kill me!" He shivered.

"You live only by my command. The hound would have killed you if I had not called him off, or..." He moved the tip of his blade, pricking the skin.

"We were to plead our Lord's case before the witch and her hell hound got to you. If that failed we were told to make sure you never went into the service of our enemy." He babbled looking death in the face. "Please My Lord; I have no say in this. I am only following orders at the risk of my family." He begged.

"What is you true station? For you are not a fighting man!" He said with contempt.

"No my Lord; I am a tanner by trade. It was my way with a knife and hides as to why I was sent. My Lord wanted the hide of the hell hound to prove we finished the mission... as a trophy to prove his place over..." Kahn growled deep in his chest.

"Where is the last man?" He asked sniffing the air. "Kahn, GO!" He ordered the wolf who bound away instantly. "Bind his wound and bring him." He looked at her. "I will go get their supplies and mounts." He looked at his captive. "She fell two. She is a warrior... remember that if you want to live this day through." He walked away not before giving him another cut to remind him of his place.

The man looked in fear as all of their supplies, weapons, gear and horses were led into the stables. His shoulder burned from the bite and the witches cure. He wanted to be shriven before he was killed to save his soul from hell, but thought that was now impossible.

"Where is Kahn?" The witch asked making him flinch.

"He is hunting the cur that runs faster than his mates." The man said, sighing.

"None can out run him, so...?" She looked at the man and ignored their prisoner.

"One must give this lording the message of failure." He shrugged. "He will die, but not at my hand. He is not a threat and Kahn is having sport." He smiled, making his cheek bleed.

"Come, let me tend you!" She said and turned away to gather what she needed. "I think you and Kahn are too much alike. He has never responded to another save me like he does you. You are a very dangerous man." She evaluated him coldly.

"I am naught but a farm boy making his way in a world he never wanted to be in." He shrugged off his tunic so she could work on his wound.

"And I am naught but a slave." She answered. "But, we both know better, so let us not play this game right now!" Her fingers were gentle as she tended him. "What are you going to do with this one?" She nodded to the man cowering in the corner, not even tied up.

"Learn what we can, then set him free. He is not a threat." He shrugged.

"I thought you said there wasn't a way out of here?" She looked at him, her eyes narrowing.

"No, I said there is not a safe way out of here. Pay attention." He goaded her. "Beside would you leave?" He asked, looking into her eyes.

"Not until I fulfilled my vow." She shook her head confused.

"Then you are going to be stuck here for a very long time. For you will never get what you came for." He shrugged and looked away.

"We shall see!" She responded under her voice.

*****

To her the challenge was issued, to him, he just wanted peace and to till the earth again. After so long in the business of bring death, he again wanted to know what it felt like to bring things to life.

The wounded man stayed with the animals, too afraid to do much else. He wondered when the death blow would be given. With the huge hound watching over him, knew better than to run. He heard the loud arguments and then the days of complete silence. To make his time go better, he took the hides that were hanging and tended them. It kept his mind and hands too busy to think of the alternative.

Inside the house, he was looking down on her sleeping form. 'Damn it woman, why are you still here? Why do you haunt me so?' He whispered before turning and tending he fire. "Do not even say it hound!" He told the wolf, who was looking at him with his deep knowing eyes.

On her pallet, she sighed. 'Why are you so worthy? Why now do I find a real man only to have to betray him to keep my vow?' She bit her lip wanting so much to look and laugh at Him and Kahn talking to each other.

*****

"Take you these furs and a message to the Lord." He told the prisoner months later, after the beginning of the spring melt. "You are shite for a fighter. Maybe you can live as a messenger and ply your trade for a few extra coins." He tossed half of the worked hides at his feet. "The way is hard, but the risk is worth your life."

"Yes my Lord." The man bobbed his head in awe.

"Take you my message also." She tossed a wrapped skin at his feet. "Tell him of what you have seen here and of the plot against him." She spun and walked away. "Kahn has your sent and will track you to the ends of the earth if you play me false!" She added, not looking back.

"My Lady!" He shoulder throbbed at the thought.

"Go in peace, but be wary of false promises and false Lords." He told him and followed the woman, watching him from a vantage point, ensuring his compliance.

Inside the house she was waiting for him. "So, shall we continue our conversation now there are none to over hear?" She asked in challenge.

"What is the point?" He sighed. "In a sennight your way will be clear and Kahn will protect you back to your captor." He looked at her "Why you choose captivity over freedom is beyond me." He added, rubbing his eyes.

"For my family, whose life is held in the balance. For unlike you I do have a weakness. I would rather my death over theirs." She was tired of fighting him. "So, tell of this woman who stole your heart and turned it into stone? My hate of her might give me something to focus my anger at." She sat down and looked at him. She knew he didn't realize his allure to her. The scars he wore were signs of his valor and his prowess in battle.

"She was nothing, is nothing. She was just a foolish village girl, who did not have your sense of honor or spine to keep a vow given until death." He shrugged. "I have not thought about her in many years or the rude village I once called home."

"That I cannot believe." She said simply. "Nor do I believe she has ever stopped thinking of the price her lack of faith has cost her. Not all women are like that." She said softly.

"Yet, most are." He closed his eyes. "You, my lovely, are from a different bolt I think." He opened them, looking at her. "But it is as you say... my heart is now of stone or rather has to be, to keep my freedom, so please temp me not."

"By the Gods of the Blue Sky; I wish my father had met you, for you are worthy." She sighed. "And I ask the same... temp me not." She turned and went to fetch them some food.

"I tire of this game." He told her as she fed him. "By what name are you called? I tired of calling you woman." He took the offered food and ignored the quick intake of breath.

"My mother named me Sarnai, which means like the flower you call a Rose; but my father called me his Tuya, which means beam of sunlight." She spoke quickly before she could think otherwise. "He would have named you Batu, for you a true and loyal. What is your given name?" She asked sitting across from him.

"My given name...?" He thought. "I do not remember it, or if I do, I never use it. I am no longer that person." He shrugged. "I am called Captain by the men and Sergeant at Arms by the Lords. I will not repeat the names I have been called by those who came against me, for they are filled with fear, loathing and superstition."

"I have heard some of them." She smiled. "I heard many things about you before I was sent. I see now the man who was instructing me was not anyone who actually knew you, no matter what he claimed." She looked at him keenly. "Your beard and hair needs cut, you are getting more hair than Kahn. I'll see to it after our meal." He watched as the gate in her eyes slammed closed as they ate. Once the meal was cleared, she set about her task of ridding him of his offensive and unruly hair.

"If you were from my tribe, I would shave all but a lock of hair from the back, but I think that would look bad for you, but I will trim your beard and hair to my liking." She smiled at him as he sat uncomfortably not knowing why he trusted her with a knife that close to his neck.

"Be easy Batu, I will never harm you, you have my word." She touched his face. He nodded and grunted.

She took a warm cloth with soap and wrapped his face. She set one of her daggers to stone, honing the edge to scrape the hair but not the skin. She stood behind him taking in more of his scars, sighing. He was almost too manly to ignore.

She remembered her mother teaching her this, so she would be a good wife to whichever warrior her father picked to be her husband. There was a light in her eyes as she removed the cloth from his face. She set her blade to his cheek. With slow deliberate strokes, she sliced off the offending hair, and left the skin shiny. She could smell him and that odor did something primal to her insides. She wiped her blade and made the next stroke, never taking her eyes off her work. She lifted his head to get to his neck, noting there was no resistance to her movements. It shocked her to know this fierce warrior trusted her with his life.

He could smell her. His loins pulled and it took all of his control not to claim her. She had no clue the effect she was having on him. It was by iron will alone she was kept intact by the time she was done. Her shirt was too thin and he could see the outline of her breast, their nipples hard. The musk of her center was wafting into his nose and he held himself completely motionless.

"Be still Batu or I will cut you." She hissed, concentrating so very hard on her task. She ignored the fire raging inside. "There done." She sighed, letting her dagger fall to the table.

"Go you bathe Tuya, or you will not be intact by morning's light." He stood up and walked over to the almost frozen water bucket, splashing some over his face and neck. She was about to argue, but saw his turgid manhood down his leg and obeyed. They had vowed not to temp the other and their vows meant something.

*****

He kept finding reasons not to lead her to the border. The way was too slippery, to cold, or the season was just not right yet. He spent most of his days sowing the soil with seed in labor that he had long forgotten, making his muscles complain with the unfamiliar movements. He made himself so tired it was all he could do to gulp a few bites of food and fall asleep. Not that sleep brought him any peace.