The Broken Sword

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Since returning to Acathia Yamara's senses had been expanding. Her awareness of herself and of the world around her was growing with each passing day, making her feel more at ease. The familiarity with which she treated Acathia both surprised her and made her feel at ease. She knew it was Brina's doing. The part of the girl she carried within her, made stronger by her brief contact with the realm of the dead in Thoragloorin, was happy to be back home.

"Here," Yamara said, taking off her final waterskin and sipping from it before passing it to the troll. "Finish it, we'll find more soon."

Rocktooth snatched it out of her hand, stopping only second before he emptied it into his mouth. He paused and looked at her, to dehydrated to spit out the dust in his mouth. "Why yooz say dat?"

Yamara smirked, "Because otherwise we'll die."

Rocktooth's eyes widened. He stared at the waterskin suspiciously, as though the simple object could somehow be at fault. Then he shrugged and held the pouch to his mouth and finished it, swallowing three times before it was gone. A low rumble that might have been mistaken for an earthquake followed. Yamara looked at the troll, her amusement at the joke she was playing on the simpleton wearing thin.

"Skooz me," Rocktooth said with a sheepish grin.

Yamara muttered something under her breath that reflected unfavorably on the relationship of trolls with their mothers then set off again, heading out into the morning light and into a slight crevasse that wound its way down a ridge of broken rocks. Rocktooth followed, expending just enough energy to shoot a hateful glance at the larger of the two suns that was rising into the sky.

The crevasse opened into a hidden valley that was all but impossible to see had they not been on the trail of those that came before them. Those that took the blade that they sought with them. Yamara pulled up short and Rocktooth gasped. Tough desert grass could be seen poking up in clumps. It was brown and dry, but it lived, proof of moisture and life. Further in they could see a few spiny cacti as well, more proof of water.

A thought that Yamara did not know she possessed came to her then. It was a rumor that held that by cutting off the top of one of the barrel shaped cactus plants the soft pulp inside could be squeezed to obtain water, or just chewed as it was. She thought of telling her unwanted companion and seeing him go after it. With a sigh she refrained, knowing that while the cactus might have moisture within it, it would make her sick and, even though he was a troll, perhaps Rocktooth as well.

"Derz water here?" Rocktooth asked her, looking around anxiously as though a fountain or a stream would suddenly appear.

"Be silent, you oaf!" Yamara snapped, sending a look that promised daggers his way. He recoiled in surprise, then scowled back at her when she turned her head away from him.

"We have been gaining on them, they might still be here," she explained, moving forward cautiously. Yamara took nothing for granted and scanned every inch of terrain before them with her eyes as well as her enhanced senses.

Yamara looked around a corner to find a group of large lizardmen, or faradwim as they were called her, moving along the path. They were armed with spears with stone points and javelins of similar construction. She ducked back and motioned towards Rocktooth to hurry to meet her. He lumbered along the path to catch up, his heavy armor clanking loudly and ruining any chance for surprise. Yamara slipped into some shadows and disappeared from view.

Rocktooth pulled up short, surprised at her sudden disappearance. He looked back and forth for her, baffled. The first of the patrol of faradwim rounded the corner then, refocusing his attention. The lizardman held his spear ready and approached rapidly, his purpose clear. He wavered a moment as he beheld just what sort of a creature Rocktooth was, for he had never seen a troll before.

The hesitation cost the faradwim its life. Rocktooth's axe cut through one arm and into its side, crushing and cleaving scales, bone, and organs beyond repair. He let the axe go and drew two swords, one large enough that Yamara would be hard pressed to wield it in two hands and the other slightly smaller and with a tapered edge to the blade.

Rocktooth parried the spear of the next faradwim and thrust his shorter sword into the creatures stomach, tearing it out in such a way that deaf was imminent. He bellowed and charged into the remaining six members of the patrol, lashing out with his trollish strength and surprising skill.

While Rocktooth fought Yamara slipped around the battle and moved deeper into the valley. She found several huts where other faradwim dealt. They apparently owned the oasis. She slipped through the outskirts of the town, blending in with her surroundings in a way that she had not known she would be able to do. She silently thanked Brina again, inexplicably feeling her close by, and stopped only when she encountered a cage made of the bones of one of the large reptilian mounts that was used on Acathia. Within it lay the last person she expected to see.

Rocktooth hacked and slashed with abandon, accepting hits he could have blocked in the way of a true troll warrior. What was a little pain now compared to landing a greater blow on his enemies, especially when it would heal with the speed so common to all trolls.

With the last lizardman of the first patrol sliding off of his sword Rocktooth stopped and breathed deeply. He was winded from the fight, though he should not have been. He understood immediately that it had to do with the heat of the thrice cursed world they found themselves on. He bent over and wrenched his axe free of the faradwim and looked up in time to see a fresh wave round the corner towards him. He threw his axe at them mindlessly and grabbed up one of the spears the lizardmen had used. He threw that as well, drawing his swords and following after it.

Rocktooth felt himself slowing as he fought. Still the lizardmen fell about him, but his arms grew heavier and the pain from their stone-headed spears was harder to ignore. He roared in rage as a spear slipped through a niche in his armor and poked into the back of his knee. He fell to one knee and lashed out with his curved blade, cutting the faradwim behind him in half. A large rock slammed into his chest next, sending him sprawling backwards.

The lizardmen rushed him, stabbing down with their spears and trying to finish him off. One spear broke against his armored cuirass, others deflected away. They rose and fell repeatedly, seeking an entrance to his armor. Rocktooth bellowed and flailed about, cutting into legs and whatever else his swords could reach. Then a sandaled foot stepped heavily on his arm, pinning it to the ground. Rocktooth looked over, yanking his other sword to dislodge it from the ankle it was lodged in.

An axe with an obsidian edge crashed down into his wrist, shattering the head of it but also severing his wrist. Blood spurted thickly from it, then thinned and congealed rapidly. Rocktooth howled and yanked his sword free, plunging it deeply into the belly of the faradwim that had severed his hand.

"Youz stoopids gonna pay fer dat!" He roared, rising to his feet and hacking with a berserk rage into anything that moved near him.

In a few moments the faradwim were slain or had retreated. Rocktooth regained some of his senses and felt how exhausted he was. He looked around and saw himself surrounded by a ring of at least a dozen of the lizardmen. They were easily his size, if somewhat less stout then he. He stabbed his sword into the ground and reached down, head up and eyeing his opponents warily.

The troll picked up his severed hand and held it against the stub on his arm. When it touched he grunted and snarled, revealing his sharp teeth to them. They had begun to approach but at his expression they backed up a few feet. Rocktooth let go of his hand and wrenched his sword free of the hard packed ground.

"Who'z next?" He asked, flexing the hand that had reattached itself to his forearm.

The faradwim backed up again, stunned and amazed at how he had healed. A few threw down their swords and ran away, while others remained standing and awed. Rocktooth bent down, seeing no immediate assault forthcoming, and picked up his other blade so that he could dual wield again.

Seeing the troll fully healed and fully armed again, the courage of the remaining soldiers broke. They fled, running back into their small village ahead. Rocktooth waited a moment, surprised by the turn of events, then chuckled. He sheathed his blades and picked up the severed arm of one of his fallen combatants. He took a bite out of it, his teeth rending through the scales and tearing the flesh free of it. He chewed a few times then spat it out in disgust. He spat a few more times, trying to rid his mouth of the taste, then stomped angrily towards the village.

"Stoopid lizardz duzzint even have da good sense to taste good!"

Chapter 15

Yamara drove her dagger into the hamstring of the faradwim guarding the prisoner. It gasped in pain and started to fall backwards, to which she aided gravity by plunging her short sword into its chest. It lay writhing and grasping on the ground after she yanked her blades free and moved to the large rock that served as a door to the pen.

"How are you alive?" The prisoner asked, jumping to her feet and staring at Yamara disbelievingly.

"Long story, would you like help out of there?" Yamara replied, glancing over her shoulder as she heard Rocktooth bellow from down the path.

"Yes!" Sandala said, grinning at the impossibility of the situation. "Is Brina with you?"

The shadow that flickered across Yamara's face would have been missed by all but an elf. As soon as it left Yamara realized that Brina was indeed with her, and always would be. "Yes, she is," Yamara said, smiling oddly.

"I don't know how you're going to move that, even with the two of you it's far to heavy." Sandala gestured at the rock that lay between her and freedom.

Yamara shrugged and looked towards the growing sounds of battle. Rocktooth sounded to be holding his own, that much was certain. If he survived she would have to thank the troll for the distraction he provided. If he did not... Yamara shrugged again.

Concentrating on the task at hand, Yamara focused her growing powers and stepped up to the rock. She leaned against it and dug her feet in, then pushed. To her great surprise the rock rolled easily out of her way. Sandala gasped as Yamara thudded into the baked ground without grace.

"Nothing to it," Yamara said, blood rushing to her cheeks at the clumsy maneuver. She regained her feet and reached in to pull Sandala out of the cage.

"What of the others? Krill and... Arktan, was it? Wait, Arktan was like these others, is he part of their tribe? Did he betray you?"

The anemically thin sand elf shook her head, her wispy blond hair floating in the dry air. "It's been a long time, Yamara. Arktan gave his life helping Krill and I escape the silt after you and Brina disappeared. Krill died nearly a year ago when some bandits attacked us. I had some other companions but they were all slain by these faradwim when we offered payment for some water. Apparently we insulted them without knowing it."

"Where is Brina and how are you still alive? How did you escape that strange place and the silt around it?"

"There's no time, Sandala, we must escape first. Then I will tell you everything," Yamara said hastily. She stopped and looked at the deeply tanned elf beside her. "I mean it this time, everything. I owe you that much."

Sandala looked at her for a moment, then nodded. "Where to then, is that ruckus some friends of yours?"

Yamara snorted. "Hardly a friend, more an inconvenience. Still, he is serving a purpose now."

Yamara cursed, seeing several faradwim fleeing from where Rocktooth was at. The lizardman saw them but did not slow down, they just kept on running. Yamara shook her head and Sandala chuckled. "Must be quite an inconvenience if he has the faradwim routed."

"You have no idea," Yamara muttered. Waiting with her weapons in hand while Rocktooth walked into the small village.

"By the spirits, what is that?" Sandala gasped, her hand reaching for the sword that was not at her side.

"A troll."

"What's a troll?"

"He is," Yamara answered without humor.

"Ey der!" Rocktooth said, walking over to them. "Me need some rest, bashin stoopidz in da heat sucks ballz!"

"Sandala, this is Rocktooth, my... companion."

Rocktooth grinned, displaying his many sharp and pointy teeth. "Ey, yooz gots a friend! Me Rocktoof, but yooz can call me Rocky if youz wants."

Sandala, eyes wide, nodded towards him. "Um, thanks, I think. I am Sandala."

"Okies," the troll said, already loosing interest. He looked around and noticed the pool of water with some scrub bushes around it sheltered from the worst of the sunlight by a cliff wall.

"Water!" Rocktooth shouted, running towards it and forgetting everything else.

"Don't drink to much," Sandala called after him warningly. Yamara just held up her hand to the well-intentioned elf and shook her head.

"Don't worry, it won't kill him," Yamara said. Then, forgetting that Sandala was an elf able to hear the quietest of whispers she muttered, "I'm not that lucky."

"He is fearsome but he seems a loyal and brave companion. No doubt he is strong in battle as well, to have made these bandits flee. Why do you hate him so?"

"He's a troll," Yamara said, as though that should explain it all. At Sandala's blank look Yamara sighed. "Another long story, come, let's find your gear and I could use some water before Rocktooth tries to bathe in it."

"He would bathe in it?" Sandala gasped, amazed at the idea of dirtying so much water needlessly.

"Good point," she responded, "he probably doesn't know the meaning of the word."

The women moved off then, stopping first by the diminishing puddle to slake their first and then fill Yamara's skins. Once finished they left the still drinking troll behind and moved through the huts. Yamara searched diligently, trying to find the blade of the sword that they sought, all the while talking with Sandala and filling her in on the events that transpired since last they saw one another.

"Brina and I were transported to another world," she told her. "A world like the one I came from, with water a plenty and cooler temperatures. Brina was delighted by it, though after a while she began to long for Acathia, I think."

"Much as any world, it was filled with evil. She was stricken when an evil man betrayed us, and I barely escaped with my life. I hunted him down after I found out he still lived, and he had sent Brina after me. She was bound to his service, and was no longer a living and breathing creature as you and I are. When finally we met again I managed to slay him and Brina, in her last moments, gave herself to me, infusing her spirit into mine.

"When I said Brina was with me, I mean that she is a part of me now, though her body has ceased to exist, I can still feel her within me." Yamara paused, feeling something stirring within her that pulled at her emotions. "She is glad to know you are well, I think, and if I know her as I think I do, I imagine she would not want you grieving at her passing."

Sandala nodded, her smile sad but understanding. She finished strapping the last of her equipment that they had recovered back under her cloak then. Rocktooth wandered by and stopped staring at her with his jaw open and eyes wide.

"What's wrong with Rocktooth?" Sandala asked quietly, nodding towards the troll behind Yamara.

Yamara turned and saw the slack-jawed troll staring at the sand elf. She turned back, following his gaze, and then chuckled.

"What?" Sandala asked, alarmed.

"Yooz... yoo...yoos'z perty!" The troll stammered.

Yamara laughed, unable to control herself. Sandala looked down at herself, not understanding. Her cloak was open as she finished belting on her sword displaying her body. As before when Yamara had known her she wore no top and only a loin cloth for clothing, the rest of her garb consisted of crossed belts over her hips to hold her pouches and weapons and another belt with several small pouches that looped across her chest to be held up by her shoulder.

"Rocktooth, shouldn't you make sure that our new friend is not ambushed by those lizardmen?" Yamara reminded him pointedly, barely concealing her amusement.

The troll scowled but turned and walked away. Yamara chuckled and looked back to her old friend. "His world is one where he seldom has a chance to see such beauty. Indeed, his kind are not welcomed except among their own, and his tribe in particular for they turned their backs on the evil warlords that once ruled them and fought with men to make their world a better place."

Sandala accepted the compliment in stride, waving her hand as if to say it was nothing worth mentioning. "If his people are as you say then why I are they shunned? To fight evil is noble, and such fervor as his kind can surely incite should bring about adulation and recognition."

Yamara opened her mouth to respond and then stopped as the impact of Sandala's words hit her. The elven woman had made a good point, she had to admit. "The people of Viconia do not always see it so. To them a troll is a troll, and since most of them are fey, they all must be. Kind of like believing that a snake is a snake, it will bite regardless of how well tended it may be."

Sandala shook her head sadly, "I think I am glad that I do not know of this place he comes from. I pity any who can not accept a person for their nature because of their skin."

Yamara could only nod, unable to think up a proper reply. Yamara knew she was one of those people as well. It filled her with shame to realize a lesson she had long ago learned, a lesson she had long ago fought for, was so easily forgotten.

"So why have you returned?" Sandala asked after the silence had grown between them. Her cloak fell back about her body, protecting her from the sun, and she studied Yamara as she spoke.

"We seek something that I lost. A powerful artifact from Rocktooth's world, my world now as well. I was entrusted to find a safe hiding place for it and I thought I did, but that place ended up being a portal to this world."

Sandala raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "What sort of thing is it you speak of?"

"The blade of a short sword, made of metal so strong that it is unbreakable."

"If it's unbreakable then why is only the blade here?"

Yamara grinned. "It was broken by something even stronger."

Sandala laughed. "You have never ceased to be filled with surprises, Yamara. It fills me with happiness to see you again, even more to learn of the companionship you have found and shared with Brina."

It was Yamara's turn to wave away the comment. "It's been a hard ride, but one that I have become the better because of."

"Now then, know you anything of this blade?"

Sandala thought for a moment and then shook her head. "I have not heard of it. Metal is scarce here though, if we journey to a nearby city, Seerpoint is the closest, we might ask about and find rumors of it."

Yamara nodded, it made sense, though it seemed unlikely. The direction Sandala had glanced when she mentioned the name of the city was in the same direction that the bond with the blade had brought them thus far. Yamara had lost the link earlier that morning, however, and now she was effectively looking for a needle in a world full of haystacks.

"I'll go and get Rocktooth," Yamara said, heading off towards the direction she had last seen the troll head.

She found him amidst the dead faradwim. He was kneeling over the body of their leader. The same one that had cut off the troll's hand with his axe, though she did not know it.

1...89101112...20