The Butterfly Effect

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He was still pondering this question hours later when he heard a frantic knock. Throwing on some jeans he opened the door and was surprised to see Kimberly. She was wearing a red silk pajama slip and tennis shoes and her hair was in the most crooked ponytail imaginable. Michael was almost amused at her state of dress when he noticed that she was crying.

“What’s the matter baby? Where is your key?” He asked softly, trying to bring her inside. His efforts caused her to cry harder and all he could think to do was to put his arms around her in an awkward hug.

“P-please Michael,” She hiccupped, “Something is wrong with A-Attila. His eyes are rolled back and he’s breathing funny. I think he ate something poisonous. He’s too big for me to carry downstairs.”

“It’s alright baby, I’ll come get him.” Michael soothed picking up his car keys and heading with her upstairs. Attila laid in her kitchen his tongue hanging out, breathing fast and shallow. Michael bent to scoop him up and he gave a plaintiff whine but looked too tired to do anything more. Kimberly murmured soft word of comfort and they brought him down stairs.

“Let’s take my car.” Michael suggested gently, sensing that she was too distraught to drive. “You can hold him in the back seat.”

She nodded mutely and slid into the car, but was only able to hold Attila’s massive head in her lap. Michael got in wordlessly and drove to the vet’s office at a speed that would have done a race car driver proud. Though the distance was only a couple of miles it seemed to take and eternity to pull into the drive. Kimberly had obviously already alerted the veterinarian that they would be arriving because by the time Michael had come around to the back door of his car the vet staff were coming out the door with a small stretcher. The took Attila to the back room assuring Michael and Kimberly that they would call as soon as they knew something. Kimberly begged to be allowed to wait and so the staff showed them to a small starched waiting room. Michael sat down on the waiting bench watching Kimberly pace the room like a caged animal.

“What if it’s something that can’t be fixed?” She asked him, her large gold eyes filling with tears.

“It will be okay.” Michael offered lamely.

“I don’t have anyone really besides him.” She said her lip trembling.

Her tears were breaking Michael’s heart. He motioned for her to come and sit with him. She flew into his arms like her world was coming to an end. He stroked her hair holding her gently, “You have me. I’m soft like he is and I shed almost as much, and I promise not to eat anything strange while you’re not home.”

She looked up at him with a tear streaked smile, “You’re my hero.”

An hour later Kimberly slept fitfully in Michael’s lap as they waited to hear the diagnosis.

“Mr. Papillion?” The vet whispered shaking Michael gently as he began to doze.

It took Michael a moment to figure out who was being spoken to.

“Mr. Papillion, I’m Doctor Wallace.” The vet began again waiting for Michael to wake up.

“Is he okay?” Michael asked gently shaking Kimberly awake. She’d wrapped her arms around his waist in her sleep and he felt her grip tighten as she prepared herself for the worst.

“He’s going to be fine. It looks like he ate something he was allergic to, but we’ve got him all cleared up and we’re going to give him some fluids and keep him overnight. You and your wife can come and get him in the morning.” Kimberly’s relief was instantaneous as she threw herself into first Michael’s arms and then Doctor Wallace’s.

Doctor Wallace chuckled softly winking at Michael, “Pets get to be just like children after a while don’t they.” He discreetly handed Kimberly back to Michael adding, “Why don’t you take your husband home, Mrs. Papillion, he looks tired. She nodded not bothering to correct him and reached for Michael’s hand.

“We can’t thank you enough Doctor Wallace.”

“That’s what we’re here for.” Again his eyes sparkled with humor, “My advice would be to go straight home at a reasonable speed.”

At Kimberly’s questioning glance he added, “It wouldn’t do to be stopped by the cops in your Pajama’s.”

Michael and Kimberly looked at each other for a moment before bursting into laughter.

They drove home in comfortable silence, pulling into the parking lot of the apartment building without incident. The walked inside hand and hand stopping in front of Michael’s door. Neither of them were ready to part company but Michael couldn’t think of a reason to ask her to stay.

“Thank you Mr. Papillion.” Kimberly whispered with a giggle giving him a long hug.

“That’s what hero’s are for.” Michael teased, holding her a moment longer than was necessary.

“I guess we should get some sleep.” She whispered a little breathlessly then shook her head and stepped away.

“Kimberly?”

She turned toward him tilting her head in the same puppy-like manner she had used when he had first saw her. He wasn't sure what he was going to say and for a moment he just looked at her. She stood there in her red slip-dress pj's, her hair piled haphazardly, her make up smeared with tears and Michael thought that he had never seen such a beautiful sight in his life. He reached slowly toward her, afraid that if he moved to fast she would simply flutter back to her apartment. She looked at him with a hunger that before she had been perfectly able to conceal. He wrapped her in his arms and brushed his lips across hers, slowly, savoring the taste of her. Her muscles were tense as if she was fighting some internal battle and then her arms came around him crushing him to her.

They stumbled back through the door of the apartment, Kimberly pressing frantic kisses to Michael's face and throat. He didn't bother turning on the lights, he simply swung her up into his arms and carried her to his room. Each time he saw doubt on her face, or she opened her mouth to question what was happening Michael began his romantic assault again, running his hands down the satin of her back, covering her mouth in kisses until the fire in her eyes burned out logic and she was hot and wanting in his arms. He sat her down in front of his bed and then knelt before her rubbing his face against her belly and thighs through the gown. His hands began a slow caressing journey along her calves and up the back of her thighs stopping just before they reached under her gown. She placed her hands on his shoulders letting her head drop back with a purr of enjoyment.

"Please." She begged as she felt his strong fingers knead the front of her thighs. Michael growled his ascension pushing the slip up over her hips and burying his face in the sweet juncture of her thighs. She gasped as if his touch burned, her breath coming in erratic gasps as she attempted to widen her stance to allow him better access. It was all the permission he needed. He rose ripping the gown the rest of the way off taking a moment to gaze at her in predatory wonder. She was perfect, pale and rounded in all the right areas. He stepped forward bending to capture one of her rose tipped nipples in his mouth. He suckled as if he could drink love from her breast and she cradled as if she could feed him. Heat raced through her veins and a slow insistent throb at her core was threatening to overwhelm her. The scrape of his clothes against her naked form proved to be her undoing; she raked her nails down his back and arched fully into him. Michael released her only long enough to shed his jeans and shoes and then scooped her up again to lay her down on the bed. Her kisses were drugging as he settled his weight between her legs; he brought one of his hands down between them to probe her entrance. He had to be absolutely sure she was ready for this, for him. His fingers met with the moisture of desire, and he took a moment to spread it along her secret crevice paying special attention to the nub of her pleasure. She growled at him in frustration pulling him closer and sinker her teeth into his shoulder but he would not be rushed. He plunged first one, then two fingers into her core in slow circular rhythm that had her bucking beneath him. Only when she began to whimper in need did he relent his teasing. He positioned himself at her entrance pushing in only slightly and then bringing his hands up to cup her face. He looked into her passion filled gold eyes and the pushed himself in up to the hilt. She cried out as her body attempted to make room for him and he dropped his forehead to hers, nuzzling her softly, encouraging her movements with slow shallow thrusts. She caught onto the movements almost immediately wrapping her legs around him to meet each thrust with increasing enthusiasm. He pushed in hard and deep wrapping his arms around her shoulders in a vain attempt to get closer to her, she matched the movement. They clung together as their passion peaked, each crying their joy to the other. Michael rolled over pulling her on top of him not willing to give up contact with her even for a moment. She did not attempt to retrieve her pajamas or for that matter to disconnect herself from Michael. He would tell her he loved her tomorrow, for right now he just let her rest.

Reality was slow to seep into Michael's sleep fogged brain, but the first thing he noticed was that Kimberly was gone. He frowned as he rose, bathed and dressed, feeling caged in the silence of his apartment. Where was she? He walked into the living room and on the coffee table was a note.

Dear Michael,

I can not begin to express my gratitude for what you did for me and for Attila last night. I only regret taking advantage of you when we returned home last evening. The only thing I can say in my defense is that I was tired both emotionally and physically and just wanted the comfort of another being. It will be our secret, Superman, so you need not bother telling your lady love. I'll see you around

Kimberly.

"You are either the biggest fool in the world or the stupidest." Allan said rubbing Attila's ears in absent affection. It was been a week since Michael and Kimberly had made love but it might as well have been a month. She stopped knocking on his door at all hours and had left Attila with Allan while Michael was out of the apartment. He'd tried everything short of stalking her but the simple fact was she was avoiding him.

"How was I supposed to know that she would disappear, Allan. I was holding her in my bed for God's sake!" Michael shouted stuffing the song that he'd meant to give her in the trash.

"She told you she was working on the gallery opening didn’t she. The opening is tomorrow and Denise said that Kimberly changed the whole tone of the show."

Michael's mood perked a moment, "Denise said?"

Instead of being his usual defensive self Allan actually blushed. "Since you were spending so much time with Kimberly I thought I would indulge myself in female company as well."

Michael burst into laughter, "And Denise naturally is female."

"Actually," Allan said taking pointed interest in picking dog hair off of his t-shirt, "After I made her cry the other day I really started thinking about how I talk to her. You were right, man, Denise didn't deserve what I said so I apologized."

Michael choked on the breath he was about to take, "I'm sorry, can you repeat that?"

Allan grinned, "Not in a million years. I asked to be her date for the show and she, wooed by debonair charm, agreed. So that just leaves you dateless and desperate."

"Don't you have something better to do than shove advise down my throat?" Michael asked only half teasing.

"Actually I do, I'm going to The Kettle to see if I can help Denise get this show set up." Allan walked over to the garbage pulling the song back out and smoothing the edges. He laid it on the coffee table with a quirky grin, "And you have a song to finish."

The Copper tea Kettle was packed. If the lure of Grey dawn hadn't been enough to sell out the place then the opening of Gothic impressionist artist The Black Butterfly would have. He'd stayed up all night to refinish the song, playing each chord and singing each verse until it flowed together in perfect harmony. He dressed simply the night of the show too nervous to concentrate on anything save telling Kimberly and anyone else who would listen how he felt. Michael was escorted through the back door of the Kettle along with the rest of his band. The crowd up front was restless having been barred from the gallery at Kimberly's instance for some last minute changes. Denise gave them all a hug for luck; she paused before she got to Allan flashing him a shy smile. She offered him a hand shake, but Allan just laughed, crushed to him, and kissed her.

Michael laughed, “Help her with the show huh.”

“You help your way and I’ll help mine. Are you ready for this?”

“Does it matter?” Michael asked holding the song up for inspection for the hundredth time. “I’m going to leap and hope she catches me.”

Denise smiled placing her cheek on Allan’s chest, “You’re going to fine.”

“he’s going to be sick.” Allan said unsympathetically and then winced as Denise pinched him.

"What do you know Denise?" Michael asked, pulling her away from Allan for a moment, but being typical Denise she just smiled at him, winked, and then disappeared toward the gallery. The schedule had Gray Dawn opening shortly after the ribbon cutting for Kimberly's show in hopes to stem the tide of occupants through the small gallery. A dull roar greeted the band as they stepped out onto the stage and began to set up to play. Michael's breath caught in his throat as he caught Kimberly's gaze over the crowd. She winked at him reassuringly and Michael stepped up to the microphone, "Welcome to The Copper Tea Kettle! I know we were scheduled to play after the ribbon cutting but I have a special song to give our guest of honor. So let’s give a big round of applause to The Black Butterfly, Ms. Kimberly Papillion!" The crowd exploded in applause and wolf whistles. Kimberly blinked in surprise as the spot light swung toward her tilting her head in the way that had won Michael's heart. He quieted the crowd once more as he sat down on a stool picking up his guitar, "I wrote this for her weeks ago but wasn't brave enough to give it to her, so let me correct the situation now."

When first my eyes lit upon you

I swore that you'd be mine

I promised that I'd find a way

to touch a butterfly

But butterflies are fragile

once touched, they never soar

you needed a hero to shelter you

but I want from you something more

I want to be your hero,

in the midst of a world gone mad

would you settle for tarnished armor

'cause that was all he have?

In your Cinderella gown

in this sex in the city world

I'd love to be your hero

Why don't you be my girl

Heroes are born to darkness

but learn to walk in light

show me how to wear my cape

so that I can save the night

Come save me from the darkness

come take me from this pain

I'll be your superman tonight

if you'll be my Lois Lane

I want to be your hero

in the midst of this world gone mad

Would you settle for tarnished armor

'cause that is all I have

In your Cinderella gown

in this sex in the city world

I'd love to be your hero

Why don't you be my girl

Michael ended the song letting the last notes trail off into the silence. The crowd erupted in applause and then started chanting, "Kiss her! Kiss her! Kiss her!"

"What do you say butterfly?"

Kimberly laughed and ran toward the stage, the crowd parted with wild applause. She didn't have far to run, Michael jumped down to meet her half way swinging her into his arms.

"I love you." He whispered against her cheek.

"I love you too." She said and then kissed him senseless. The wolf whistles almost drowned out her next words, "You beat me to the punch line."

"What do you mean?"

Kimberly laughed pulling him to the stage where the Ribbon waited to be cut and calling the attention of the crowd. "It looks like Michael isn't the only one keeping secrets." The crowd laughed and hooted as she continued, "Ladies and gentlemen, everyone needs a hero now and then and I needed one more than most. I wasn’t looking for shinning armor, and though I wouldn't mind seeing him in red spandex.." The ladies of the crowd shouted and Kimberly held up her scissors playfully as if to snip Michael's clothing off. "My hero dresses in black!" The crowd erupted in applause as Kimberly gestured to Michael's black ensemble, "I'd like to dedicate this show to Grey Dawn, The Copper Tea Kettle, and Michael Verona...my hero!"

With that Kimberly cut the ribbon and tugged Michael through the doors. The first thing Michael noticed was that the Gallery was spotless, everything meticulously clean right down to the last floor tile. I was obviously Allan's influence, Michael thought as he saw the folded paint towels in the corner. The gallery was simply lit at the front showing several paintings of a dark headed woman lost in a confusion of faceless people. The next paintings depicted almost everything that Michael and Kimberly had done together; there was one of a winged figure bringing sugar to the lost lady. In another the figure carried a large rust colored animal through a sea of snarling monsters. In the middle of the Gallery was a large sculpture of a pickle jar bound in chains and locks. Michael laughed realizing that Kimberly must have been as in love with him in the beginning as he was with her.

She looked at him shyly as she shoed him the last piece, the winged figure and the woman embraced each other over looked by the large dark eyes of a panting Attila. It was encased in a furry rust colored frame. The title of the piece said it all. Family.

Epilogue

Michael watched Allan straighten his tie and look down the isle for the hundredth time. The guests were all in place on either side of the daisy bedecked gazebo, the sun was shinning brightly and Allan? Well Allan looked like he was going to be ill. The music started and Michael watched his very pregnant wife walk down the Aisle looking more radiant than ever. She'd been worried that she would be to big to fit into the soft blue bridal gown that had been chosen for her, but she had refused to give up her status as matron of honor. It was hard to believe that they had been married for over a year. They owned a small house not far from the apartment complex where they had met where Attila was still King of the Huns. The guests hushed as the bridal march began. Her white flowing poets blouse and her white broomstick skirt not hiding the fact that her paint smudged feet were bare. Allan willed her to move faster, but like everything else his Denise did, she marched up the Aisle on her own time. Kimberly winked at Michael from across the gazebo and Michael leaned forward to catch Allan's attention.

"Psst, there is something I have to do before you get married." Michael whispered.

Allan frowned concentrating on Denise's progress, "What ever it is it can wait."

Allan placed his hand in the crook of his elbow, holding her like he was afraid she would bolt. She looked at him a calm serine smile as the priest asked if any present had any reason why the two of them should not be joined.

"I have." Kimberly called out cheerfully dropping her bouquet to the side to reveal a bright green water gun. Allan looked at her as if she lost her mind, worst, like he might do her personal damage when Michael chimed in from the other side of the aisle, "Me too," pulling from his pocket another small water gun.

Denise smiled and then sighed dramatically, "Well I guess that makes three of us." She gestured to Kimberly who handed her a third bright plastic gun.

Allan just stared from one to the other in complete confusion, Denise was his and he wasn't about to let her walk out.