The Case of the Lipstick Killer

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"All right, Detective. Go ahead."

Barton patiently allowed the lab techs to come in and take hair and DNA samples before resuming his interview with Detective Wheeler.

"Mr. Metcalf, since we have received more evidence, and we want to process your samples, would you mind if we postponed the rest of our interview until we have more results?" asked Wheeler.

"That would be fine. Just give me a call when you want me to come back."

"Thank you, Mr. Metcalf. It should be sometime in the next few days. Again, thank you for coming in."

"All right, Detective. See you then."

NIKKI FONTAINE INVESTIGATIONS

GRAND AVENUE, OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA

March 27, 10:15 a.m.

Jessie's ear was starting to get sore from holding the phone to her ear and making so many phone calls trying to find Nicole's computer repair person. Nicole was supposed to get the call list from her carrier by this afternoon.

"Hello, this is LapTech Computer Repair. How can I help you?" said the voice on the line.

"Yes. Hello. My name is Jessie Thorne from Nikki Fontaine Investigations. I'm trying to locate the person that was talking to my client on the phone on March 6 when a man attacked her at a bus stop.

"Does that sound familiar to you, sir? I'm sorry. What is your name?"

"Oh. I'm Leo. I'm one of the repairmen here. Can you tell me more about this phone call?"

"Sure. My client was on the phone, asking about the cost to repair her laptop. She thought her computer had been infected with viruses. A strange man approached her and started saying vile things to her, and she hit him in the face when he got within her reach. Nicole said she was still on the phone, but then she hung up and called 911 after she hit this guy and he fell and hit his head on the concrete.

"Does any of that ring a bell?"

"Wait a minute. I think I do remember that," said Leo.

"Oh, my god. You don't know how many calls I've made trying to find you. What do you remember about that call?"

"Let's see. This lady asked how much we charge to clean up a computer and eliminate whatever viruses or malware were on it. It had been running very slowly, and she kept getting a continuous stream of pop-ups. I remember the call ended strangely and abruptly."

"Can you tell me anything that you remember hearing?" asked Jessie.

"Well, I seem to remember hearing a male voice in the background. I think I heard the guy say something like, 'Hey, baby. You're really cute. Maybe I'll--'" and that's all I can remember. Shortly after that, the call was cut off. I thought she just hung up on me. I never heard back from her, so I didn't give it a second thought."

"Great. Thank you. Is there anything else you can remember about that call?" asked Jessie.

"No, that's all I can remember. If you leave me your number, I'll give you a call if I remember anything else."

"That would be great. I think I'm supposed to call the Oakland Police and let them know that I found my client's witness. They'll probably contact you and have you repeat everything you just told me. So be ready for a call from the OPD. That'll do it for right now, Leo. Thank you so much. Hopefully, that little bit you remember will be enough to get my client off the hook."

"I'm glad to help, Jessie. You sound cute. Do you have a boyfriend?" asked Leo.

"I'm sorry, but I am in a relationship. But thanks for asking. Thanks again, Leo." "You bet, Jessie."

Jessie hung up the phone, stood up, and walked to my office.

"Hey, Nikki. I didn't get a sore red ear for nothing," said Jessie. "I finally found our earwitness for Nicole Yee. It was a guy named Leo that works at LapTech Computer

Repair on 14th Avenue in Oakland."

"So, what did he remember? Anything that can help Nicole?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. The witness told me what he remembered, and it could be helpful. But I'm looking at it through client-colored glasses. I'm not sure what the police will make of it."

"Tell me what he said he remembered, then."

"Okay. I wrote down what the witness said. 'Hey, baby. You're really cute.

Maybe I'll'-- and that's all he remembers. But don't you think that backs up what Nicole said happened?"

"I'm with you, Jessie. It might."

"Do you think we should just turn this over to OPD and let them follow up with the computer guy?" asked Jessie.

"How about we do it this way. Let's tell Detective Wheeler that we found Nicole's witness. Then we can tell her that we'll have him here in our office sometime this afternoon, and she can come here and talk to him. That allows us to be involved in our client's interests. If the OPD pulls him into their office, we're left out of the loop and not doing our best to look out for our client."

"Sounds like the right way to do it, Nikki. I'll let you call Wheeler. I'll call Leo.

I'll tell him he needs to be here at 2 o'clock to talk to us and the police."

"Okay, Jessie. Go make your call, and I'll get ahold of Wheeler."

2 p.m.

A young man of about 26 walked into Nikki Fontaine's office. He smiled when he saw Nora's warm expression and her form-fitting cashmere pullover sweater with three-quarter sleeves. He would smile even more when he saw the cute pearl buttons going halfway down her beautifully curved back when he was walking past her on his way out.

He walked up to Nora's desk and stopped, saying nothing. He was having a hard time thinking, let alone talking. He was stunned by how beautiful Nora was. It wasn't often he came in contact with a woman as stunning as Her Hotness.

"Can I help you?" asked Nora.

"Okay," replied the young man.

"Hello? Can I help you?"

"I'm sorry. Um. Yeah. My name is Leo, and I'm supposed to talk to Jessie. And there's supposed to be a detective from OPD showing up also."

"Okay, Leo. Hang on one second."

Nora punched the button on her intercom.

"Jessie, there's a man named Leo here to see you," said Nora.

"Why did you use the intercom, Nora? I can hear you just fine without it."

"I know. But Nikki told me that it looked unprofessional if I just yelled at you guys when an appointment showed up."

"Okay. Thank you."

Jessie stood at the entrance to her cubicle and waved Leo over to her office.

"Hi, Leo. I'm Jessie. I'm the one you talked to on the phone. Thank you for coming in. Have a seat. Detective Wheeler should be here shortly, and then we can begin."

"Okay, Jessie."

Detective Wheeler walked in ten minutes late because of a phone call that came in right as she was leaving.

Nora saw Wheeler, turned her head, and yelled to Jessie.

"Hey, Jessie, Detective Wheeler is here. Was that better?" asked Nora.

"I heard you just fine, and you sounded very professional to me," replied Jessie.

"If Nikki jumps on me for that, I'm sending her to you." "That's fine," said Jessie.

Jessie walked out to greet the detective.

"Good afternoon, Detective," said Jessie. "Why don't you join us in my cubicle." "Oh, hi, Jessie. Thank you."

"Nora, would you ask Nikki to join us, please?" asked Jessie.

"Will do."

"You must be Leo," said Wheeler as she walked into Jessie's small office.

"Yes, ma'am, I'm Leo."

"Hi, everyone," I said as I walked into the now crowded cubicle.

"I understand you were talking to Nicole Yee on the evening of March 6 when she had an incident with a man while she was at a bus stop.

"Do you remember that conversation?" asked Wheeler.

"Yes, I remember talking to her. Like I told Jessie, Nicole was asking how much we would charge to clean up her computer that appeared to be infected with one or more viruses and malware."

"Please tell me what you remember about the conversation. Try to be as exact as you can."

"After I talked to Jessie, I wrote down what I told her, in case I remembered anything else. While I was talking to Nicole, I remember hearing a man's voice in the background, and from what I can remember, he said, 'Hey, baby. You're really cute. Maybe I'll--' and that's it. I don't remember anything else he said. And then the call was cut off, or maybe she just hung up."

"Well, if that's what you remember, that's what you remember. The only question I have is, were you able to discern the talking man's tone of voice? Like, was it serious, scary, wimpy sounding?"

"It was more like cool, calm, and collected. It sounded like a normal conversational tone. No anger. It didn't sound threatening. Nothing like that," said Leo.

"Okay. I want to thank you for coming in and talking with us. Please leave your contact information with the receptionist before you leave. Okay?" said Wheeler.

"You mean that incredible hot chick sitting at that desk?" he asked.

"Yes, that hot chick at the desk," responded Jessie. "And do try to keep your tongue in your mouth. She hates it when men drool on her." "Yes, that hot chick at the desk," repeated Leo.

"Do you think he heard a word you said?" asked Detective Wheeler.

"Not at all. But that's normal," replied Jessie.

"You should be here in the morning when Nora is walking from her car to the office," added Nikki.

"Why? What happens in the morning?" asked Wheeler.

"Oh, tires squealing, brakes screeching, people running for their lives, sometimes car crashes. But that usually only happens when Nora wears her red leather miniskirt. She is a traffic stopper," I said.

"So, do you think what Leo remembers helps Nicole's case at all?" asked Jessie.

"You know, Jessie, I try to look at the big picture, and I try to let common sense guide my actions. I've talked to Nicole Yee extensively, and she just doesn't seem like the kind of person that goes around hurting people for no reason. I think I read into the words that Leo repeated what Nicole read into them; that he was coming at her with malice in his heart and crime on his mind. I believe he would have done what Nicole told us he said he would do. He possibly would have raped her at the least and possibly murdered her at the worst.

"My recommendation to the District Attorney will be to drop any charges. I know the DA. She knows me. Plus, she has prosecutorial discretion in matters like this. I can't guarantee anything, but I think the DA will drop the charges against your client. Don't say anything yet. I'll give you a call tomorrow and let you know what the DA says."

"Great. Thank you, Detective Wheeler. We'll wait to hear from you tomorrow before we say anything to Nicole," I said.

THE ALTA WAVERLY APARTMENTS

2302 VALDEZ STREET, OAKLAND

March 28, 7:30 a.m.

Barton had just finished tying his tie and poured some coffee into his thermos for his half mile walk to my office. Sometimes he walked; sometimes, Barton rode his bike when he could stand the stares when he walked into the office wearing his tight biker pants. He loved having such a short commute. It saved him a ton of gas money and wear and tear on his car--when Barton has one. Just as he was popping the top on his thermos, there was a knock at his door.

He opened the door and felt that familiar feeling of déjà vu; Officers Wheeler and D'Agosta were darkening his doorway yet one more time.

"What's up, Detectives? Have you found out anything more about Amanda's whereabouts?" asked Barton.

"Not yet," replied Detective D'Agosta. "We have the forensic results from some of the evidence gathered at Amanda's suite. Just so you know, the criminalists confirmed that a hair sample from the scene was, indeed, yours. Also, one of the wine glasses had your fingerprints on it. That just proves that you were there like you have already said. One disturbing piece of evidence we have comes from a witness who said that she heard loud voices that sounded like an argument at about 1:30 a.m., one female and one male. The crime scene team found blood on the scene that was Amanda's.

"Based on everything we know and have found at the scene, we are going to place you under arrest for the disappearance, and possible murder, of Amanda Winsor. At this point, I have to advise you that anything further you say may be used against you in a court of law, that you have to right to speak to an attorney, and that if you can't afford an attorney, they will provide one to you.

"Do you understand what I just told you, Mr. Metcalf?" asked Wheeler.

"Uh, yes, I understand. But this is nonsense. I left Amanda's suite at one a.m., and she was fine. You said the witness heard loud voices at 1:30. I was already gone." Replied Barton.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Metcalf. Please turn around and place your hands behind your back. We will book you into the Oakland jail, and a bail hearing will be scheduled for today, if possible, or tomorrow, after which time you will have bail set. If you can arrange it, you can post bail, and they will set you free until we complete our investigation and decide what specific charges to file against you.

"Do you understand what I just said?" asked Wheeler.

"Yes, I understand. But I'm telling you that this is a huge mistake," said Barton.

"You seem like a nice guy, but, unfortunately, we hear that all the time," said Wheeler. "Let's go. You can make a phone call once you've gone through the booking process."

NIKKI FONTAINE INVESTIGATIONS

GRAND AVENUE, OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA

March 28, 10:15 a.m.

"Nikki, it's Barton on the phone. He sounds funny," said Nora.

"Funny?" I asked. "Ha-ha funny or weird funny?"

"Weird funny."

"Okay. Put Barton through," I said.

"Hey, Barton, what's going on?"

"They did it. The police arrested me in connection with Amanda's disappearance. I don't know how they can do that. They think I did something, but they don't know what. All they know is that I was in Amanda's hotel suite last night, but that's it. And I told them that already. We went directly to Amanda's after we left Alexander's. So now I have to wait for a bail hearing so I can bail myself out."

"Do you have sufficient funds to make bail?" I asked.

"Yeah, unless they think I'm Jack the Ripper and hit me with a million-dollar bail."

"Okay, Barton. Please call me if you need any help getting out. I'll lend a hand."

"Thanks, Nikki. I'll let you know. Gotta go for now."

"Hang in there, Barton."

11:30 a.m.

It was a chilly, overcast day. A light breeze whispered through the trees lining Grand Avenue and caused the leaves to weave their way across the sidewalk. Seventeen-yearold Sofia Martinez rushed in the door and closed it as quickly as she could. She bent down and picked up the few leaves that followed her through the door and deposited them in the trashcan sitting on the floor just inside the office.

"Sorry," she said.

"Hi, may I help you, young lady?" asked Nora as Sofia walked up to Nora's desk with a look of ambivalence on her face and doubt in her eyes.

"I hope so. I already went to the police, and they couldn't help me. You are my last resort," said Sofia.

"Why don't you tell me quickly what your problem is, and I'll let you know if someone here can help you," said Nora.

Sofia started giving Nora a quick book report version of her problem. That was enough for Nora to interrupt the excited young lady and ask her to take a seat while she walked over and talked to me.

"Nikki, I've got a young lady out here with a very different type of case. She started to tell me about it, and I stopped her when I felt it was something that we could help her with. I didn't want her to have to repeat a long story twice. I think you'll want to hear what she has to say."

"Okay, Nora. Please show her into my office."

"Sofia, please follow me. You're going to be talking to Nikki Fontaine. If anyone can help you, she can. That's her office right there. She's waiting for you."

"Okay. Thanks, Nora," said Sofia.

Hi, Sofia," I said. "Please have a seat and tell me your story, and I'll see if there's anything we can do to help you."

"Okay," replied Sofia. "I'm not quite sure where to start, so I'll just start talking and see what happens."

"That's the best way, Sofia. There's no right way or wrong way. Just let it out. I'm sure you'll cover all the right bases."

"Okay. Here goes. I have a girlfriend, and we both go to Oakland International High School, which is on Webster Street between 45th and 48th Streets. When I say girlfriend, that's what the problem is. We're both gay. You can imagine the type of problems that come with that."

"Trust me, Sofia, I have a very good idea what you are going through," I said.

"Okay. So my girlfriend's name is Maya Nazari. She was born here in America, but her parents are from Saudi Arabia. They are very conservative. They believe in Sharia law. Do you know what that is?"

"Yes, I know what Sharia law is. It's a brutal way to control people, especially women. I understand that they stone gay people to death or throw them off the tops of high-rise buildings. Nice people. Okay. Continue, Sofia."

"We've been together for about a year and a half. We've done our best to keep

Maya's parents from finding out, but her mom caught us kissing several days ago when we were doing homework in Maya's room. Well, Maya's mom went straight to her husband and told him. They threw me out of the house, and I haven't seen Maya since.

"Maya told me that her dad was weirding out about her possibly seeing boys and having sex. He said that he was seriously considering bringing someone in from their mosque to perform female genital mutilation or circumcision on her. That's horrible. I can't believe that people do something like that. But now that I know that he knows she's gay, my biggest concern is that her dad might go so far as to kill her for their family's honor. That's another act of hate that Sharia law condones.

"I went to the police and asked them to check on her to make sure she's still all right. A couple of police officers or detectives, I don't know which, went to her house and were told that she's visiting family back in Saudi Arabia. That's total bullshit. I know she's still here. Her parents are hiding her somewhere. I'm worried sick that they're going to hurt her in some way. The police said there's not much they can do without being able to talk to Maya.

"I'm coming to you because I'm hoping that maybe you could find out where Maya's at so we can send the police to take her somewhere safe and talk to her before her dad does something terrible. Then they can determine if they need to place her in a home with people that will love and respect her. The only thing we're guilty of is loving each other. Unfortunately, that's not enough for people with bigoted minds and hearts filled with hate. I don't know what else to say. I'm falling apart with worry and fear for my love."

"I feel your pain, Sofia. And I agree with everything you've said. Some people can be ruthless and hateful. They have tiny minds incapable of moving past the indoctrination that their society has hammered them with for most of their lives.

"When is the last time you saw Maya?"

"It's been about a week. I'm worried sick about her. I hope Maya's psycho father hasn't hurt her."

"Here's a yellow pad, Sofia. Write down Maya's full name, her parents' names, their address, who her teachers are, and anything else you can think of that might help us find out where she is. Put down your contact information, too."

It took Sofia less than ten minutes to write down the requested information.

"There you go," said Sofia.

"Okay. We'll be in touch. Give us a couple of days to do some digging. I am so sorry for what you and your girlfriend are going through. I hope we can find her before someone hurts her. Call me if you hear anything in the meantime, okay, Sofia?"

"Will do. Thank you for listening to me and offering to help. I'm counting on you. I'll talk to you soon," said Sofia.

"Okay, sweetie. We'll talk soon."

As Sofia retraced her steps to the front door and left, I just sat there shaking my head.

1...1920212223...26