The Case of the Vanishing Twin

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm supposed to have a meeting with Miss Fontaine, so here I am," said Donald.

"One sec, and I'll let her know that you're here." Nora clicked the button on the intercom.

"Hey, Nikki, Mr. Dayton is here to see you."

"Thank you, Nora. Please ask Max to join us also. Thank you."

"Yes, ma'am," replied Nora. "You can go over to Nikki's office, Mr. Dayton. She's ready for you now."

"Thank you, Nora. Always a pleasure."

Max got to my door at the same time Donald did, so they both took seats at my desk. Max closed the door on her way in.

"Thanks for coming in, Donald. Now, would you please tell me what the fuck is going on with your sister?" I exclaimed.

"What?" said an astonished Donald. "How should I know. The only time I see her is when she's yelling at me or threatening to hurt me."

"Well, it just so happens that I followed Donna the other night, and she went to a restaurant called The Layover Music Bar & Lounge. She met a man there, the two of them had a few drinks, chatted for about an hour, and then they both left. I couldn't get outside to follow them quickly enough, so I lost them.

"So what do I see on the TV news two days later? Do you have any idea, Donald?" I asked.

"No, I have no idea. What did you see on the news?" responded Donald.

"I saw the face of a man whose dead body had just been found near the parking lot of the Mormon Temple up in the Oakland hills. He was the same man I saw leaving the restaurant with your sister when I followed her. Are you following me, Donald?"

"Oh, my God. Did Donna kill this man?" asked Donald.

"I don't know for sure, but it sure looks that way, especially since you said that you thought she might be hurting people. Why do you think she's hurting people? The police said they came to your house looking for her after telling them that I had seen them together, but she wasn't home. You remember talking to the police, don't you, Donald? They sure remember you."

"Yes, I remember talking to the police. Donna wasn't home. She's never home when someone is trying to find her."

"Why would that be, Donald?" I asked.

"I don't know. Donna must know when someone she doesn't want to see is looking for her and leaves. I'm not sure."

"I think there's more to this than you're saying, Donald. Is there anything you'd like to add to your story? I'm going to be doing some more checking, and I might turn up something that you will wish you had told me right now. What do you think?"

"I don't know what that possibly could be. I'll see if I can locate Donna, and if I do, I'll tell her to call the Oakland Police to talk to them, and I'll also let you know. Is that okay?"

"That's fine for now. But remember, if you're in any way covering up for your sister and helping to hide her from the police, that will make you an accessory to whatever bad things she might be doing. So just keep that in mind. You can take off for now, but I'll be doing some checking on my own. I just hope you're not involved in anything your sister is up to that might get you in trouble and put in jail because I don't think you'd fare very well in jail or prison," I concluded.

"Okay. I'll let you know if Donna shows up," said Donald as he stood up and started walking to the front door. Too calm of a response.

"I've got this gnawing feeling that he's not truthful with us. He's hiding something, and I want to find out what it is," I said.

"Hey, Jessie, can you come in here for a second?"

"Yes, boss, what have you got for me?" asked Jessie.

"Here's all the information I've got on a client of ours by the name of Donald Dayton. He's got a sister who might be involved in a recent murder, but I'm not sure. The police are looking for her, but they are so far unable to find her.

"Here's what I want you to do. I want you to rip a big goddamn hole in the Dayton family, including their dead parents, and find something for me that might give us some insight into what this family is all about. I don't know anything specific, but I suspect you'll know it when you find it. Now, go get 'em, Jessie. Let me know when you find out anything."

"Got it, Nikki," replied Jessie as she went back to her office and immediately pulled out her shovel and pulled the Google search bar up on her computer.

"So what do you think about this brother and sister act?" asked Max.

"I can't tell. But Donald is weird, and Donna is nowhere to be found. Something is going on here, and I don't think we're going to like it when we figure it out."

2:25 p.m.

"Nikki, it's Detective Wheeler on the phone for you," said Nora.

"Thank you. I got it. Hello, Detective Wheeler, what can I do for you?" I asked.

"Hi, Nikki. I just got some information about our Mulcher case. I called the Hayward Executive Airport to ask about plane departures on the night of our Mustang/pedestrian collision. At first, the guy I spoke with was reluctant to give me any information. He sounded scared and with good reason. It turns out that the Nortenos street gang owned the plane that left that airport right before our collision. It looks like they disagreed with one of their guys or competitors, not sure which, and tossed the poor bastard out of their plane just in time for the guy to ram the Mustang and give us all a bowl of confusion to try to figure out.

"The one concern I have is that once this story goes public, the Nortenos FIX SPACE aren't the type of people just to ignore it and hope it will go away. They'll come looking for everybody involved and cut their heads off. They're a bunch of heartless psychopaths that would just as soon cut someone's head off than talk to them. So that means that they might come looking for you and anyone in your office working on this case."

"Oh, great," I said. "I have enough to worry about without these crazy gangbangers coming after my crew or me."

"I know. If I thought I could keep this story from the press, I would. But you know how that works. Someone will leak it out for sure because this is such a bizarre case. And once that happens, here come the bad guys. All I can say is watch your backs, and if you have any firepower, make sure you have it with you at all times, and keep your head on a swivel so you can look in all directions.

"On another note, the DA has said they plan on dropping any charges related to this collision. Keith Rodman will still have to deal with his DUI, but that's peanuts compared to having to deal with a felony manslaughter case."

"Well, I'd say thanks, but I don't know how to feel about this call. I'm glad for my client, but it looks like everything else will be scary for a while. Please let me know if you hear anything about these gang bastards looking in our direction," I said.

"Will do," said Wheeler. "Oh, one more thing, Nikki. You don't have to stake out Donna Dayton's house. We're going to take that over, starting tonight. We're putting two rotating teams on her home. If she shows up or tries to sneak out of the house, we'll get her. I think she's got something to do with these murders. I just know it.

"Okay. Take care, Nikki."

"You too, Detective."

OAKLAND POLICE DEPARTMENT

HOMICIDE DIVISION

July 3, 2:40 p.m.

"I hope you don't have any plans tonight, Marco," said Detective Wheeler.

"Why?" he replied. "Are we going on a date?"

"Yeah, we have a stakeout date tonight. We're watching Donna Dayton's house tonight. When she shows up, we're going to nail her."

"Okay. I'll bring a pizza tonight. Pepperoni and black olives okay with you?" asked D'Agosta.

"If you pick it up, it's perfect. Pick up some soda while you're at it. Thank you in advance."

"Then it's a date," said D'Agosta, smiling.

OAKLAND POLICE DEPARTMENT

HOMICIDE DIVISION

July 5, 11:25 a.m.

It had been a busy Fourth of July weekend. On-duty officers were insanely busy rushing from one place to the next, following up on calls about illegal fireworks all around the city. Several shootings resulted in three homicides. Wheeler and D'Agosta didn't get much sleep for about 48 hours, hopping from one murder scene to the other. At least none of the victims got shot in the groin and between the eyes. Thank God for that much.

"Hey, Wheeler, you're not gonna believe this. We've got another body. This time it's on the grass right next to the perimeter fence at Children's Fairyland. Grab your stuff, and let's go.

"Right behind you, Marco."

CHILDREN'S FAIRYLAND

OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA

July 5, 12:05 p.m.

The two detectives walked up to a man's body in full crime scene regalia: shoe booties and latex gloves. D'Agosta reached down, pulled a wallet out of the dead man's pocket, and pulled out his driver's license.

"This says that our victim is John Lemon, age 30. He lives in San Leandro on Bancroft Avenue. It looks like the same MO--one shot to the groin and one to the forehead. Dare I say it now?" asked D'Agosta.

"Go ahead, say it. If we don't, the press is going to be all over it, and we'll look like idiots," replied Wheeler.

"Let's get our computer research people on this and see they can find any connection for these three murders. Maybe we can find out something that will help us crack this case before more bodies start piling up," said D'Agosta.

When you look for clues about what makes a serial killer's mind work, be prepared for what you find out. It might be challenging to comprehend.

KTVU CHANNEL 2 NEWS

2 JACK LONDON SQUARE, OAKLAND

July 5, 1:10 p.m.

Donna Johnson had worked on the Lipstick Killer earlier in the year and had become a familiar face on TVs throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Donna was aware that there were three murders in a short time period with the same cause of death. She already thought they had another serial killer in their midst.

Donna was sitting at her desk, mentally going over the conversation she was planning to have with her station manager, Mike Saleen.

Is it possible that we have a second serial killer in such proximity to each other? Well, that doesn't change the facts. I have to report what I know.

"Hey, Mike, you got a minute? We need to talk about our new serial killer," said Donna as she stuck her head inside his office door.

"Come in and have a seat, Donna. Tell me what you're thinking."

"Okay. We've got three murders in under a month with the same cause of death--one shot to the groin and one shot to the forehead. These murders are looking like another serial killer case. Let's run a story on it. What do you think?" asked Donna.

"I think you're on the right track. Give OPD homicide a call and see what they have to say. Unless they blow your theory out of the water, go ahead and write up and story and bring it to me, and we'll see if we should run it," replied Mike.

"I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks, Mike."

OAKLAND POLICE DEPARTMENT

HOMICIDE DIVISION

July 5, 1:30 p.m.

Detectives Wheeler and D'Agosta were back at their desks trying to piece together the facts of the Fairyland murder, which appeared to be the third murder in the last month with the same MO. The two detectives cringed at the fact that they might be dealing with the second serial killer in a matter of months. This kind of thing just doesn't happen in Oakland.

The phone rang, and D'Agosta shook his head.

"It's your turn to get the phone," he said to Wheeler.

"Thanks, partner," said Wheeler. "Hello, this is Detective Wheeler. How can I help you?"

"Hi, Detective Wheeler. This is Donna Johnson from KTVU Channel 2 news. How are you today?"

"I was good until I just answered your call. When you call, it's not usually a good thing. What can I do for you?"

"I wanted to talk to you about our new serial killer that's cutting loose in Oakland."

"Don't you think you're jumping the gun a little bit here?" asked Wheeler.

"Not at all. We've had three murders in one month, all the same facts. Are you trying to tell me that you don't think this is the work of one person?" replied Donna.

"We're starting to think that way, but, as you know, we don't like to yell that the sky is falling until we're sure. Once we know for sure, we'll make an announcement."

"Well, I just wanted to give you the courtesy of a heads up before we run with the story," said Donna.

"We can't prevent you from running any story. We're just not ready yet to say that we're dealing with a serial killer," said Wheeler.

"Okay. Well, I thank you, Detective Wheeler. You have a nice rest of the day," concluded Donna.

"You too, Donna."

6:00 p.m.As promised, Donna ran her story on the Six O'clock News, and now the people of the city of Oakland were once again looking over their shoulders, making sure that they locked their doors and windows at night.

1527 FARALLON WAY

OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA

July 5, 7:15 p.m.

Detectives Wheeler and D'Agosta were staking out Donna's house for the second time in three nights. Two other detectives staked out Donna and Donald Dayton's place on the Fourth of July.

"Thanks for bringing dinner tonight, Fran," said Detective D'Agosta. "I love a good hot pastrami sandwich."

"I've got a Reuben. Melt in your mouth," replied Wheeler.

"Hey, wait," said D'Agosta. "Someone's coming out the front door. Oh, it looks like Donald. I'd like to know where Donna disappeared to. Is she hiding inside, watching us watch her?"

Donald quickly got into his car, backed out of the driveway, and then continued down the street.

"I think they only have one car between them. I'd say let's leave, but I guess Donna could call a cab, Uber, or Lyft. Well, all righty, then," said Wheeler.

As Donald made his way through the Broadway Terrace area, he turned left onto Broadway, pulled off to the side of the road, removed his hat, and put on a blonde shoulder-length wig. He then stared into the rearview mirror, started applying eye makeup, rouge, and topped everything off with a glossy red lipstick. Then off came the outer layer of clothes hiding a Milano silk blouse and Balmain asymmetric tweed wrap mini skirt, plus a pair of Jimmy Choo four-inch pumps. Now Donna was ready to meet her date at The Wolf restaurant on Piedmont Avenue.

Donna smiled at the ineptness of the police stakeout that she just drove away from right before their eyes.

THE WOLF RESTAURANT

PIEDMONT AVENUE, OAKLAND

July 5, 7:45 p.m.

After leaving her car with the valet parking attendant, Donna strolled into the restaurant and immediately saw her date sitting at the bar sipping on a glass of bourbon. He saw her as soon as she walked in and waved at her. Donna smiled and walked up to her date in the bar.

Just keep drinking those bourbons, sweet Randy. It will make my job that much easier.

Randy Paulson, age 37, was a tall man at six foot three, with an athletic physique that would be most men's envy. Wavy blond hair and light blue eyes rounded out this man's man of a package. He looked several years younger than his actual age.

"Hi, Randy," said Donna with a smile as she walked up to him and gave him a little hug.

She had diligently searched him out online at one of the popular dating sites. He was exactly what she was looking for--just like her last three dates. This date was right on the heels of her previous date, but when Donna found what she was looking for, she didn't hesitate to move in for the kill. She never knew how much time would elapse between finding one victim until the next.

Donna sat down on the stool next to Randy and ordered a glass of red wine.

"They said our table would be ready in about ten minutes," said Donna.

Halfway through their first drink, the hostess called Randy's name over the PA system, and they were seated in a cozy table for two in a corner next to a window.

They spent the next hour savoring their dinner and a second red wine for Donna and Randy's third bourbon. She had the pork chop, and Randy had the blackened cod. The food was excellent. The quality of food was befitting for someone's last meal if that were the case.

After dinner, Donna convinced Randy to take a drive out to the Berkeley Marina and out to the end of Seawall Drive, where they parked to enjoy the view of the water.

THE BERKELEY MARINA

BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA

July 5, 9:40 p.m.

"It's a warm night. Let's get out of the car and walk by the water," said Donna.

Randy was slightly under the influence, but he would agree to practically anything because he was planning on some backseat romance afterward. He had already risen to the occasion, which immediately put his little head in charge of decisions for the time being.

At one point, Randy stopped and put both of his arms around Donna's waist and pulled her in for a kiss. What the heck, she figured. Who was she to deny a man one kiss on his last night on Earth?

"Hold that thought," said Donna as she backed away from Randy. "Is it all right if I take a picture of you with the water in the background?"

"Why don't you do a selfie with both of us in it?" asked Randy.

"I will. But first, I want one of you as a memory of our first date together."

"Okay. Is where I'm at okay?" asked Randy.

"It's just perfect," said Donna as she reached into her purse and pulled out her Beretta.380 handgun.

Randy saw the gun and instinctively stepped backward and almost fell.

"What is that?" he asked. "Is that a gun? Why do you have a gun?"

"So many questions. But this is your lucky day. I have an answer for you."

"Oh? What is that?" asked Randy.

Without saying a word, Donna raised her Beretta and fired one shot into Randy's groin, and he instantly bent over and placed his hands where blood was already soaking through his slacks from his wound. He looked up at Donna with a confused look on his face.

"Why are you--

"I know. Why me, Lord. Well, that's for me to know and you to wonder about for the next two seconds."

Donna re-aimed her Beretta and fired one more shot, which struck Randy in the center of his forehead, and he dropped down onto the grass. His body spasmed and jerked for a few seconds, and then he simply faded away and became Donna's fourth victim.

Donna didn't pay attention to borderlines or jurisdictions, so it didn't matter to her that she committed her latest murder outside of Oakland, but she knew they would find out about it.

Walking away from Randy's dead body, Donna got into his car and drove back to The Wolf restaurant to leave his car and drive her car home. She smiled when she realized that the Oakland and Berkeley police departments would be a confusing mess and fight over the jurisdiction of this homicide because of finding the car in one city and the dead body in another. Later when arrested, they say Donald's car was at the marina and arrest him. I suggest the change here.

1527 FARALLON WAY

OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA

July 5, 10:55 p.m.

Detectives D'Agosta and Wheeler were used to doing stakeouts together, but it didn't prevent them from becoming restless and tired at the same time. Their deli sandwiches were but a memory, as was the potato salad that came with the sandwiches. Now they were doing their best to stretch out the large bag of potato chips that Wheeler decided to bring.

"I'd kill for a beer right about now," said Wheeler.

"Heads up. It looks like Donald is home," said D'Agosta.

The car pulled into the driveway and what looked like Donald got out and hurriedly walked into the house.

"If this night got any more exciting, I think I'd go jump in Lake Merritt just to stop my brain from exploding," said Wheeler.

"Don't worry. We only have a couple more hours, and then I think we can call it a night," said D'Agosta.

OAKLAND POLICE DEPARTMENT

HOMICIDE DIVISION

July 6, 10:40 a.m.

Wheeler and D'Agosta were allowed to sleep in and come in late the morning after a late-night stakeout.

1...34567...25