The Christmas Shoes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Awkward hug completed, Janet continued, "Sweetie, I love you. I know we haven't seen each other for a while. Can we take a few minutes and chat while we are waiting on our table?"

Nora knew how the Acostas felt about the ex-Mrs. Acosta. She herself had seen the pain and suffering inflicted on each of them. She suspected Daniel was still reeling from her leaving him the way she had. She knew he wouldn't be very happy if she let Janet pull Silvia away while they were together. Nora squeezed Silvia's hand back and said, "I don't think that is a good idea. You should probably call Daniel to make arrangements for some other time."

Janet, not knowing anything about Nora, tried to dismiss her as if she were simply some friend of Daniel. "Oh, nonsense. We can just step over here out of the way..."

"No."

Janet looked at Nora as if she were talking to some petulant child, "No?" By now, Janet along with her guests, standing in front of the Maître d' stand, were creating a logjam of people wanting to get into and out of the restaurant.

Voices were beginning to become raised. "That's right. No. You can call Daniel. I assume you can still find his number."

Janet didn't appreciate that quip, and claws were being unsheathed. "I don't neeeed to talk to Daniel. Besides, who the Hell are you and what does she mean to you? Why is she here with you?"

Raising her voice a little more to talk over the noise of the crowd, Nora said, "Who am I? Unlike you, I'm the person that needs her in my life like I need oxygen. Unlike you, I'm the person that would sell everything I own, including my soul, to have her in my life for just one more day. She is more precious than everything I own, combined. That's what she means to me. I see you in the company of these professionals, which makes me think they have some good opinion of you; but to me, you are the most stupid person on the planet for giving up this amazing young woman.

Still clutching onto each other's hand, Nora was finding her footing and wasn't about to back down. She continued, "I'm sure you don't know that today was take-your-daughter-to-work day, which is what I just did. She just sold her first house, and I couldn't be more proud of her - MY GIRL!"

A claim was just made, and everyone within earshot could hear that these two women were about to go toe-to-toe. That declaration could not go unchallenged.

Janet said, even louder, "Your girl? Your girl? I am her mother! And I..." was all she got out before Nora felt Silvia, who had been trying to stay slightly behind Nora join her by her side.

Pretty much everyone in the restaurant, including those working in the kitchen, heard the words the came from the mouth of the suddenly very, very angry thirteen-year-old. "YOU! You are NOT my mother! You are my ex-mother, just like my father, whom you impoverished, is your ex-husband. You haven't called nor written to me ONCE in the last fifteen months! Where was your love then? Where was your love for me when you sold me to my father..like property?!" she practically screamed. A hush fell over the restaurant at that moment and everyone within line of sight turned to look towards the offending parties. It's not often you hear with your own ears the tale of a young woman being sold and throwing it back at her 'trader.'

Even though the next words spoken were much softer, her voice still carried throughout the waiting area and first few rows of tables. "You may have given birth to me, but this is my REAL mother. SHE is the one that is teaching me how to be a woman. SHE is the one I want in my life for the rest of my life. I love HER. Now if you'll excuse us. We have a meeting with an attorney."

Everyone was stunned at the confrontation and especially the ending when Silvia smiled at Nora and said. "Come on, Mom. Chin up."

The smile that emanated from Nora should have blinded those that saw her. Even though she was so full of joy at that moment, it took every ounce of strength she had not to burst into tears over what her precious girl had just called her, "Mom."

Once in the parking garage, Nora pulled Silvia to her for a hug. Away from the crowds, both women broke down when they hugged each other. "I love you Silvia. I couldn't love you any more if you were my own."

"I love you, Mom, because that's what you really are. I love you just like I love my dad and Nanny."

Nora sobbed even more. Why couldn't they be a family? Why can't Daniel see the love they all have for each other.

Nora said, "I'm so proud of you. Always know that. No matter what. I am so proud of you. Come on we need to fix our makeup and go meet our attorney."

Silvia smiled and nodded her head. Nora touched up Silvia's makeup and then did her own. She started up the car and they continued on with their day.

Meanwhile, back at the restaurant, Janet was crushed. She felt totally exposed to have that bit of dirty laundry aired so publicly ...and loudly. All of the prospects in their party had a look on their face as if she just let out a loud fart. None of them would look at her. Her husband was trying to do damage control. The maître d' just moved their group to the top of the list to get them out of the waiting area where they were now a spectacle and drawing the wrong kind of attention.

Janet doubted she would get the business from the university. She wondered if they would stay with her husband. They were his second largest account. All she wanted was to show them how polished her daughter looked. Why did Silvia react so violently? Daniel must have turned their daughter against her. She wanted to find a way to get even with him, but she had no leverage on him. She just knew that she had already taken everything of value.

She tried to participate in the lunch conversation with the others, but she was politely ignored. It was odd when she tried to get things back on track, like prior to walking into the restaurant, but no one could unhear what they heard. Janet felt strange; like something died that day. ...Maybe...this is what it feels like to lose a big account. Oh well, plenty more fish in the sea.

________________

The rest of Nora and Silvia's day was great. Her staff were excited to hear about Silvia selling the house. The staff all gave her high-fives. Elise was elated and called Daniel to come home ASAP because they were celebrating, which they did.

They all loved the telling of Silvia getting the kids interested in the house. Daniel and Elise were so proud of her too. They praised her outfit and how mature she looked. Nora reminded them that they needed to get started on Silvia's room in her house, and Daniel promised that he would start before the end of next week, which thrilled Nora.

Daniel and Elise were blown away by Janet appearing at the restaurant and the confrontation. Elise could see Daniel's smile as Nora and Silvia told their portion of the story. Daniel thanked Nora profusely for protecting his not so little girl. She told him, "I knew what you would have wanted me to do, and I wasn't about to let her take her away from me."

Everyone recognized the determination and love in that statement.

Once again, Nora was incredibly sad to have to leave. This time when Daniel walked her to her car, she didn't bother to wait to see if he was going to kiss her. As soon as he opened her door, she kissed him, on the lips, with tongue. She said, "I need you Daniel; all of you. Think about that. Okay?" She patted his chest, and then she left with a very conflicted Daniel remaining behind.

_________________

The next day, Friday, Nora knew what she was going to do. She pretty much had decided while sitting in the attorney's office yesterday. She was going to take care of her family. What had she said not long ago, "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission."

First thing that morning, she went to see the Finance Administrator (FA) at the hospital where Elise was saved. She basically offered to pay them with a check, 30% of the value of what the Acostas still owed from the bill when Elise and her husband were treated.

The FA acted indignant at such a lowball offer. Nora reminded him that when she dies, no one will pay what is left on the bill and it is perfectly within Elise's rights to move her assets to her children prior to death, preventing any recovery from the hospital. She also told him that Elise had a bad case of pneumonia just a few months ago, on which he could check, and if Elise were too tired of the grind, she could still file bankruptcy.

When the FA responded with 50%, Nora knew she hit paydirt. She wound up paying them 42% of the remaining balance, a six figure check, and waked out of there with a receipt showing a zero balance and a big red stamp that read "Paid in Full." The note payoff would be processed overnight and put into the mail, to Elise.

Nora vacillated the rest of the day between being proud of what she had done and afraid that Elise and Daniel would be upset. By the end of the day she decided that she did what needed to be done to help her family, regardless of the consequences.

_________________

Nora was much quieter that weekend, and only spent one day with the Acostas. She was walking on eggshells because she was afraid the hammer was about to fall, bringing an end to her little fantasy of being part of their family. Elise noticed and asked her, "Honey, are you okay?"

"I will be," she replied, which did not thrill Elise.

On Monday, Sandy noticed at work. "Boss, you're looking kind of glum. Anything I can do?"

"Nope. I'll be fine," but the waiting continued.

Late Tuesday afternoon, she received a call on her cell phone. When she answered, all she heard was sniffling and crying. Seeing the caller ID, she knew who it was. "Elise? Are you okay? Is something wrong. Are Silvia and Daniel okay?"

"We're okay. Everything's okay. Better than okay. I cannot believe you did that. I know it was you."

Now it was Nora's turn to fight off the tears. "I love you Elise; all of you. I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't want my family to struggle so much when I could give them some of their time back. So you could cut back on some of your hours and spend more time with each other. You are my family, you know?"

"I know. I don't know what to say."

"Just tell me you love me and that you'll always be in my life, and that maybe, just maybe, you'll spend a little of that free time with me."

"Of course. Wild horses couldn't keep me away. I love you, my dear."

"I love you too, Mom."

They ended their phone call.

That night after work, Nora's take-out dinner was interrupted by the doorbell.

It was Daniel, not in a happy mood. He demanded, "What is this?"

"I believe that is a paid-in-full receipt from the hospital," she replied.

"Why didn't you talk to us about this?"

"I did what needed to be done. I took care of OUR family."

She could see him struggling with what to say next, so she beat him to the punch. "What? You don't think I'm part of your family, or you don't WANT me as part of your family? Why is that Daniel? Do you know that most of my colleagues and associates think I'm a pretty decent catch? Oh, no, but not you.

This caught him off guard.

"I've practically thrown myself at you for the last two months, and you keep throwing me back. Am I really that horrible a person? Am I so ugly or so terrible that you cannot stand the sight of me?"

"No. You know that I don't feel that way."

She said, "I know you feel the wonderful tension between us. I can see it in your eyes. I know that there is something there, but you won't act on it. I want to love you, but you won't give me a chance. Your daughter loves me. Your mother loves me, and I love them. Why can't we try," she pleaded as her eyes teared up.

Daniel had to look away. He couldn't look her in those wonderful hazel eyes that he adored when he told her again, "You deserve better."

She was indignant at those words. "That's the second time you made that statement. I let it go the first time, because I thought you might still be hurting from your divorce. You don't get that excuse now. You have a woman, ME, that is in pain because you won't let her join you and your family. So, you need to tell me what you mean when you say, 'I deserve better'. I don't know what I deserve. I just know that I want you."

He asked, "What would I bring to this marriage? Look at me. I'm driving a 12-year-old truck and live with my mom. I can barely take care of her and my daughter. There are so many people looking for work in the housing trade that wages are under pressure, so I made $40,000 last year when my business cleared close to $90,000 the previous year. I have nothing to give you."

She glared at him. "I cannot believe your eyes stay so beautifully blue considering how far your head is shoved up your own ass. That is one of the most insulting things anyone has ever said to me. I think we are about done for tonight, but I want you to think about something on your drive home. During the divorce, when you rightfully wanted Silvia so badly, what did you have to offer her? Janet had taken all your money. You were practically broke. Did Silvia deserve better? What were you offering her? Answer that question and that will tell you what you are offering me, and let me tell you, buddy," then she poked her finger in his chest, "what you were offering her is what I want, and it's priceless. Fucking priceless. Good night, Daniel"

After she turned and closed the door on him, she shut off all her lights and cried herself to sleep.

Daniel was a troubled man driving home. He knew the answer to the question immediately, but he couldn't reconcile how loving her was enough.

When he walked inside, he could see that Silvia had been crying. She said, "She won't answer her phone, Daddy. I've tried to talk to her all afternoon, to thank her and she won't take my calls. Why? Did I do something wrong?"

"No, baby. You didn't do anything. She loves you like you belong to her. She loves all of us."

"Then why won't she talk to me?"

"It'll be okay, sweetie. Sometimes people get too upset to talk. Try her again tomorrow. I'm sure she'll be better by tomorrow."

She asked, "Can you take me over there, now? Can I go see her?"

It broke his heart to tell her, "No. Not tonight. Tomorrow. I promise."

Silvia was crying as she went to her bedroom and closed the door.

Elise looked at her son and said, "You promise? Don't make promises you can't keep."

He looked at his mother. "I'm not. Nora and I may not be fixed by tomorrow, but I can see that they need each other."

"They do. We all need her in our lives, and I don't mean her money. Her."

"But, Momma, why does she need me? I don't get it. She could do so much better. She should be dating a doctor or lawyer or one of those executives that work at one of the local tech companies."

"I don't agree with that. She knows what she wants and what she needs. At the moment, she's convinced that's you."

Daniel just shook his head.

Elise continued, "Janet really did a number on you. I never thought I would see your self-confidence this shattered. Have you listened at all to what she's been telling you? She doesn't need anyone's money. She has plenty. She sees you as a partner. She'd love to be in the real estate business with you. You have real talent and skills. Just by being around your work, your daughter helped her to sell a house. Just by rubbing-off on your daughter, she could sell your talent to another family. You heard the story.

"Nora told me how she's waited her whole life to find someone that loves his family as fiercely as you do. When someone has been searching for that for thirty years, don't you think she might value that. Apparently, she does more than you do."

Ouch. He said, "That's not fair."

"So what! Whoever said life is fair. If you hadn't met Janet, Nora is exactly the kind of woman you would be interested in and have the confidence to go get. On her worst day, Nora is a better match for you than Janet was on her best. Yet, you are still so full of self-loathing that you haven't given the relationship a chance. Why are you so afraid?"

He sighed, "I had responsibilities, and I didn't want her to think I was after her money."

"Right now, she doesn't know what you are thinking, only that you are keeping her away. Be careful what you wish for, because she might stay away, and that would be a shame; even foolish."

"I know. I know... I know all this. You've not said anything that I haven't already thought at least a dozen times driving home."

Elise hobbled over to sit by her son and wrapped her arms around him. "She needs you and you need her, and Silvia and I need the two of you. Give her a chance son, or you'll regret it the rest of your life."

"I know that too."

She asked, "What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to buy her some flowers and tell her she was right and that I'm sorry."

"Aaannnnnnd....?"

"And that I need her in my life as much as she says she needs me."

"Don't wait too long."

"I won't."

________________________

The next morning, Daniel stopped at Home Depot on his way to the job site that morning. While walking through the store he saw several racks of orchids waiting to be moved towards the indoor garden center. Remembering what she said and what he and Silvia had planned for Silvia's room at Nora's house, he selected the prettiest one he could find and purchased it separately from the painting items he needed.

At lunch time, he took an early break and drove over to Nora's office. As he approached the parking lot, he saw a car he didn't recognize. It had the vanity plate "LIVER DR." He knew about her previous breakup and suspected that this was her former fiancé.

He almost drove away. Almost. When he walked into the office, there were flowers everywhere. There must have been ten or twelve dozen red roses spread throughout the office. When Sandy saw it was Daniel, her face lit up. "Daniel, wait one second."

But he wasn't going to wait. He knew who was in her office, trying to win her back. Daniel put the orchid on Sandy's desk and said, "Tell her she was right and that I'm sorry." Then he turned and walked out the door while Sandy was calling, "Wait! Wait!"

It's dangerous to drive distracted, but that's what Daniel did all the way back to his Mom's house. Humph. His mom's house. He was 35 years old and didn't even have his own place. What kind of man was he? His phone started ringing. He saw that it was Nora and turned it off.

Just before the last turn, he spotted a convenience store, stopped and picked up two six packs of Corona. Now that he could afford to buy a little beer, thanks to Nora, he planned to get pissed drunk, then go to his room and sleep it off.

As he pulled into his mom's driveway, he saw a white Mercedes wagon sitting there. Nora? He quickly got out of the car and so did she, but while he was holding beer, she was holding his orchid.

Purposefully, Daniel walked up to her, determined. All Nora could say was, "Please," before he kissed her, fiercely. She was still holding the orchid, so she couldn't hold him back, but she was returning his passion with her own. After a minute of kissing, out on the driveway in front of God and all their neighbors, he said, "Come with me."

She didn't need to be told twice. She sat the orchid on the counter, while he put the beer in the fridge and then it was a race to see who could undress the other the fastest.

"Love me, please." She moaned as he kissed her neck and upper chest.

"I'm sorry," he said between kisses.

Mmmmm. "It's okay. It's our time now."

He took in a deep breath and said, "It is, as long as you'll have me."

Mmmmm. "I'll have you right now if you hurry. I need you. Now!"

"We haven't even been on a date yet."