The Chronicles of Hvad Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She stank.

We all did, of course. People bore the rancid odour of old sweat, of clothes worn too long, in all types of weather, all overlaid by the ever-present, inescapable taint of wood smoke. But Kanni had all of these, and more - like a reek of skunky cabbage.

Borna got Kanni to strip off her clothing, revealing a strong, stocky body. She had wide shoulders, a strong back, and large buttocks. She also had large, pendulous breasts. There were bruises everywhere: on her back, her neck, even on her breasts. I felt a surge of anger, and briefly imagined myself running wild through Asrava's hall with an axe in my hands.

He helped her into the stream, whispering to her all the while. It was odd, since she was at least 3 or 4 inches taller. But Borna ducked his head under the water, and began to wash himself. When Kanni still hesitated, he began to help her.

He had her squat in the water, and ran his fingers through her tangled hair.

- "We need to get you a proper comb." he said.

Kanni submitted to his attentions, as he cupped his hands, and poured water over her.

- "Trust me? Just for a moment?"

She thought about it for a moment, and then nodded her head ever so slightly. Borna pinched her nose, and with the other hand, slowly pushed her forward. Then he dunked her head under the water, and held her there for a count of three.

Once again, he began running his fingers through her hair, gently undoing some of the worst knots. He started humming, tunelessly. Kanni's eyes turned to me. Was she wondering what on earth he was doing? I was, too.

- "Your shirt, Ljudevit." said Borna. I managed to pull it off as he helped Kanni climb out of the stream. Then he took my shirt, and used it to dry her off. Finally, he wrapped her in my cloak, and covered his nakedness with his own.

We made our way back to the great hall in silence. Many of the men were still drinking, or dicing, but the majority had already slipped beneath the tables, or found an open place to sleep. Fortunately, Mushtal and his Hand were gone. I'm not sure what I might have done, had I seen his smirking face. Or what Borna might have done.

We had no rights in the matter, of course. A man can mistreat his slaves in many ways, short of killing or maiming them, and there is little recourse under our law. But it is difficult to stand by. Odd, that - I would step in, if a man was abusing his horse, but I could do nothing when he mistreated his slave.

Borna stopped, and turned to me.

- "Thank you." he said.

- "Lord?"

- "For following without question, in this case. You were a great help."

Then he nodded to Khoren and Mihran, and led Kanni into the room he was to share with his father and brother.

- "I'm going to sleep for a bit." said Mihran. "Wake me if either of you starts to feel drowsy."

That left me on watch with Khoren - hardly my favourite person in the world.

It was a long night.

***

We left well after dawn. There was no need to hurry, since we could not get home in a single day's ride, no matter how hard we pushed. Our Hospodar and his eldest son also seemed to be a little the worse for wear, after their drinking and other exertions the night before.

Borna amazed me. He kept his temper in check, and even shook hands with his future brother-in-law. He kissed his bride-to-be on the cheek, and mounted his horse. But before he said his farewells, he made a point of thanking Kanni, publicly.

But I could tell, from the way he sat his horse, stiff and upright, that he was seething. I waited until we had covered two miles or so before I spoke to him.

- "What are you going to do?" I asked.

- "Shut up, Ljudevit. I need to think."

I dropped back, and let him ride alone for a while.

Perhaps an hour later, he rode up beside his father. I followed, just within earshot.

- "So - two months from now, Borna! Two months and we're all set. And you'll be a married man, eh!" said Gosdan. He sounded cheerful, but he was squinting in the sunlight, obviously suffering from a hangover.

- "Father." said Borna. "How did you and Asrava decide that it should be me, and his eldest - rather than Antras?"

- "Yeah." grumbled Antras. "Why not me?"

- "Listen and learn, my sons. This is to our advantage. Now I can contract an even more advantageous alliance for you, Antras. Who knows? Maybe even the daughter of a Ban. This opens up possibilities I had not even dreamed of."

- "Yes, Father." said Borna. "But please - tell me exactly how you and Asrava decided."

- "Why?"

- "Please. Was it your idea - or his?"

Gosdan looked puzzled. "What does it matter? The result is what counts."

- "Did you suggest Antras and Garine, as a match?" persisted Borna.

- "Well, that seemed natural, at first ... and he agreed. But I also said that it could be you and his youngest. What was her name - Noyemi?"

- "Did he agree to that, too?" said Borna.

- "Well, yes. What are you driving at? Asrava even said that you could both marry - the two of you and both his daughters. Or, if I wanted - just Borna and the eldest."

- "She looks like a little wildcat." said Antras. "You'll need a firm hand, there. And you'd better keep an eye on her, if you know what's -"

- "Father." interrupted Borna. "This is very important: why did Asrava agree to have me marry Garine?"

- "What are you driving at, boy?" Gosdan narrowed his eyes and squinted at his son.

- "You've just said that this is the best possible result for us, because you can make another marriage for Antras. But is this the best for Asrava? Wouldn't it be better for him to have an alliance with Antras - your heir - than with me?" asked Borna.

Gosdan seemed puzzled. "Well, yes ... I suppose so."

- "Then why did he agree so easily? How did you convince him?"

- "Well ... it's still to his advantage."

- "Father - There isn't going to be any wedding." said Borna. "Asrava drives a hard bargain. You've said so yourself. He gave in too easily."

Now he had our Hospodar's attention. Gosdan was beginning to have second thoughts.

"There's more." said Borna. And he told them about Kanni. Just the bare details: that Mushtal and two others had used her, roughly, and left her bruised, the very afternoon of our arrival.

That was enough to convince them both.

- "Why didn't you say anything!" shouted Antras. "We should've kicked the fucker's teeth in!"

- "Sixteen of us, Antras." said Borna. "Thirty of them." He was unnaturally calm.

- "Who stops to count?" said Antras.

- "A wise man does." said Gosdan. He bit his lip. "You're sure of this?"

- "Ljudevit saw the bruises, too." said Borna. "Father, Asrava wouldn't dare to insult us like this. Not alone. Not without support."

- "We need to get home." said Gosdan. "We need to move."

We were not more than six or seven miles from Asrava's steading, when thirty riders appeared ahead of us. There was only one person, other than Gosdan and Asrava, who had that many mounted warriors: Manahir.

It proved impossible to avoid them. We put on a burst of speed, and cut to the south, but a second party of horsemen, equally strong, crested a ridge just off to our left. We would be caught between the two groups, unless we veered back to the north.

They did not close with us immediately. Instead, they stayed a few hundred yards away, like sheepdogs keeping a flock together. We were being herded - north, towards the forest.

- "We should cut our way through!" said Antras.

- "Against twice our number?" retorted Gosdan. He looked back, over his shoulder. "No - I will get us out of this. I can parley with them."

- "I don't think they came to talk." I whispered, to Borna.

When Gosdan had us ride towards the group ahead of us, the second party kept pace. He had Teeth brought to the forefront, beside him. For once, the guslar wasn't smiling.

We drew nearer. Our foes - I couldn't think of them as anything else - were heavily armed, and appeared to be in a grim mood. Antras' suggestion began to look sensible to me.

But Gosdan approached to within hailing distance.

- "Ho there!" he called. "I am Gosdan, the Hospodar. Who are you?"

- "We know who you are!" shouted the young man at their head. His cloak was a deep, rich burgundy, and he wore a polished steel gorget just above a fine chain mail shirt. He was a handsome fellow, with thick lips and a neatly-trimmed beard.

His men were spread in a semi-circle ahead of us, heavily armed and ready for action. We would not be able to force our way past them.

- "Let's discuss this." called Gosdan. "Look, here is the guslar, Ansis, and my sons. Here - we can speak afoot." And our Hospodar dismounted. Mihran had no choice but to follow suit.

Gosdan took a few steps forward, and spread his arms wide. "See - we mean you no harm. Who do I have the honour of addressing?"

- "We can do this your way." said the young man, dismounting in turn. Half a dozen of his warriors followed suit.

"You should know who I am, Gosdan - since it is my inheritance you are trying to usurp. My name is Maigon - does that help?" He jerked his thumb to indicate a long-haired young man at his side. "And this is my brother, Vazrig."

Vazrig also had a neatly trimmed little beard, though he shaved his cheeks and lips clean. The expression in his eyes was more than a little frightening. He looked like the type who enjoys slaughtering children.

- "Manahir's grandsons?" said Gosdan. "Ah - I have seen you before - but you were just boys, then. Here - you must meet my sons -"

- "We are meeting them." said Maigon. "Your plotting is at an end, Hospodar."

- "Plotting? Hardly -"

- "What else would you call a marriage alliance designed to make you Ban?"

- "That is perfectly legitimate." protested Gosdan.

- "What's your point?" shouted Antras.

- "Ah - the puppy barks." scoffed Maigon. "Here is my point, then: you will not be elected Ban, Gosdan. The votes you are counting on will go to me. And as for you, Antras ... you won't even succeed your father as Hospodar. That post belongs to my little brother, here."

Vazrig grinned, but his eyes lost none of their manic glare.

- "What are you talking about?" said Gosdan. "You can't -"

- "Ask Asrava what I can and cannot do!" shouted Maigon. "Here he comes!"

The trap was complete. Asrava's druzhina were indeed behind us, thirty more warriors fast approaching on horseback.

We all turned to look - a natural reaction. And that was the moment Maigon chose to strike. As I turned back, I saw Manahir's grandsons both heft their spears, and cast them. A moment later, their companions on foot stepped forward and threw theirs.

Gosdan was hit twice. One spearpoint pierced his chest, while the second struck him full in the face. He staggered, and fell to his knees. Mihran was hit, as well, but he was wearing chain mail. The Hospodar's Hand leapt to defend his Lord.

Borna drew his sword. But I can count. Ninety against sixteen - it would not end well. I shouldered my horse into his.

- "Run!" I shouted. "Run! Or we're dead!"

Borna looked at me, a wild look in his eyes. For a crazy moment, it seemed to me, his life and mine hung in the balance. Then he yanked on the reins, and kicked his heels into his horse's flank. We got out just before Manahir's screaming warriors swarmed over our party.

We raced towards the forest. I had no plan, except to get there before our enemies did. Gosdan was dead, or soon would be. Mihran would go down fighting. I could care less what happened to Antras. Keeping Borna alive - and me with him - was all I could think of.

The horses were excited - but not mad. They weren't about to run headlong into the trees. We slowed up at the edge of the forest. Borna paused to look back.

- "No time for that!" I shouted. But I looked back, too. There was a milling crowd of men on foot, and ahorse, swirling about in a wild scrum. There were almost a dozen riders charging our way - some of ours, but mostly theirs - and even more coming from the east. Asrava's men. But this was no time to dwell on their treachery. We had to get deeper into the woods, where they could not find us.

Borna could see it, too. He and I abandoned our horses, and plunged into the forest on foot.

We ran. We brushed past elderberry and juniper bushes, and jack pine. I broke through the dead, dry lower branches, snapping several before I smashed into a solid limb which did not break. It quickly became apparent that a headlong rush into the forest was going to get us seriously hurt - or at least cost us an eye.

- "Slow down!" yelled Borna. "Go around them - not through!"

It was nerve-wracking, to have to hold back to a manageable pace, imagining a spear smashing into my back. But when we finally paused - just for a moment - we could see no one behind us. We could hear them, though, ploughing through the lower branches and snapping twigs.

The trees grew larger here - older, and much wider. There was still considerable undergrowth. Borna led, and I followed, as he wove his way between and around, circling and ducking. It was slower, but less dangerous. We could hear our pursuers, too, and gradually moved away from them.

I don't know how long we carried on that way. But when Borna finally stopped, and looked back, I could still hear them chasing us. I pointed in the direction of the sound.

- "They're still behind us." I whispered.

- "That's only one person." said Borna. "They were shouting to each other - remember?"

He was right. "We take him? Or is it one of ours?" I asked.

- "Maybe." he said. Borna drew his sword.

We waited.

Then we saw a single man, a big fellow, with an axe in his hand. He crouched and ducked as he worked his way deeper into the forest. His progress would bring him within twenty or thirty yards of us. It was near impossible to see any further than that.

Borna recognized him first. "Khoren." he whispered.

Borna took several steps toward him, and then waved his arms. Khoren saw us, and stopped, raising his weapon. Then he came to us.

- "Thought you were ahead of me." he growled. There was blood on the edge of his axe.

- "Anyone behind you?" I asked.

- "Not for a while. Think they're gathering numbers before they come after us."

- "Antras?" said Borna.

Khoren scowled. "He wanted to fight from horseback. Then we made a break for the forest. He fell from his horse. Think he snapped his neck."

Borna said nothing.

- "They weren't taking prisoners. Not you or Antras, at any rate." I said. "Maigon said that his brother would be Hospodar. They meant to kill you both all along."

- "I know."

There was nothing more to say, at this point. In retrospect, I think we were all stunned. In a few moments, our entire world had come apart. Borna had lost his father and brother, and was now a hunted man.

All three of us were. I glanced at Khoren. He was an ill-mannered oaf, a thoughtless brute. He towered over both of us. Khoren would not have been mistaken for a handsome man, but his looks hadn't been improved after a fight when someone took a knife to his face. He had a crooked scar that ran from just beneath his left eye to the edge of his upper lip.

Khoren's habitual expression was a scowl. He complained endlessly, about everything, in the crudest terms. I despised him. His only redeeming feature was his loyalty to Antras. Of all the men in our party, I thought, it had to be Khoren who had survived and found us.

- "Let's move." said Borna.

Instead of going deeper into the forest, he led us off to the right. East, I think, if such directions mattered where we were.

If anything mattered any more.

***

Hours later, we sat in a rough circle, and pooled our resources. Borna and I had our cloaks, his sword, my axe and two daggers. Khoren had a sheepskin, his axe, and two knives. I also had an apple.

- "Flint?" asked Borna.

None of us had one. We couldn't even make a fire.

- "We're fucked." said Khoren.

- "Wait." I said. Borna had that look on his face. He was thinking.

- "Wait for what?" scowled Khoren. "We're well and truly fucked. Won't last a fuckin' week in here. Should've gone down fighting."

- "Ljudevit." said Borna. "If you were Maigon - what would you do now?"

If I was Maigon ...? Borna and I had played this game a thousand times, when we were children: trying to divine what someone was thinking, or what they would do.

- "How the fuck is he supposed to know?" said Khoren.

- "Khoren." said Borna. "Do you remember the day Antras tried to drown me in the stream? The day I nearly took his eye out?"

Khoren slowly nodded. None of us would ever forget that day.

"Well, Ljudevit predicted that Antras would try to kill me. I'd embarrassed my brother the day before, and that night I asked Ljudevit what he would do, if he was Antras. Ljudevit is remarkably good at guessing what other people will do, or say. So shut up - and let him think."

For a moment, I wasn't sure if Khoren would stand for being told to shut up. But the big brute just scowled, and looked away.

Borna looked to me. "Well?"

- "It's not that difficult." I said. "He'll go to our steading. He has sixty men. There won't be more than twenty of ours anywhere near. Maybe ten, inside. Without leaders? They'll surrender. Maigon will put his brother in charge, and eliminate any opposition."

Borna nodded. "That sounds right."

That meant that his mother, and his two sisters, were at the mercy of Maigon and his crazy-eyed brother, Vazrig. Likewise, my parents and my sisters, and Khoren's mother. And there was absolutely nothing we could do about it.

Borna nodded again. "And what will Asrava do?"

I shrugged. "Nothing. His part is done. He betrayed us, and got rid of a rival. No doubt he'll collect some sort of reward from Manahir. Money, I suppose. Or cattle. Or a marriage for Mushtal."

- "I mean, what will he do right now? Tonight?" said Borna.

- "Tonight?" It occurred to me then, that despite all that had happened, it was probably only late in the afternoon. "Well ... I suppose they'll go celebrate. Get drunk."

- "I think so, too." said Borna. He stood up, and stretched. "Let's go, then."

- "Go? Where?"

- "To Asrava's steading. I'm going to kill him. And Mushtal."

- "What?" I was stunned.

- "What about our steading?" asked Khoren.

- "We can't get there in time. Not on foot. But we can get to Asrava's."

- "Tonight?"

- "Tonight." said Borna.

*****


[1] Hand: a leader's right-hand man, and bodyguard

[2] Hospodar: a chief, holder of properties, head of a community. The Hospodar acted as judge, resolving disputes and punishing criminals. He also frequently led in times of war, or designated a leader.

[3] Ljudevit is pronounced "Le-you-de-vit"

[4] A coat of ring mail over a stout leather tunic. Also called a hauberk.

[5] Druzhina: the retinue in the service of a chieftain; a warband. The leader of a warband was sometimes called the "druhtinaz".

[6] Advice from a medieval Parisian to his much younger wife. Quoted in Tanya Bayard, "A Medieval Home Companion" (1991).