The Chronicles: Three Sisters 10

Story Info
Blood on the Hill.
9.4k words
4.88
8.2k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,328 Followers

THREE SISTERS Chapter 10

Guenna had the watch on the northeast, overlooking the river. It was bitterly cold, so I brought another fur, in case she needed it. Before I had gone halfway, I realized that I was the one who needed it.

Guenna was making footprint patterns in the soft snow. On watch like this, anything one could do to stay awake, to remain alert, was beneficial. Every so often, she would look down, to make sure that no one was trying to cross the ice - or the swamp.

She heard my approach. As the creator of the 'sneakers', Guenna was always suspecting that someone would try to surprise her while she was on watch. She caught sight of me, and grinned.

- "What are you doing out here?" she called.

- "I came to see if you were cold."

- "You did not. Were you sneaking up on me?" Then another thought occurred to her. "Is something wrong?"

- "No. Nothing's wrong." I said. "Can't a father check on his daughter when she's on watch?"

- "He could. But for you, that would be a first." She looked at me closely. "Are you sure that nothing's wrong?"

- "All is well." I assured her.

- "Then why are you here?" she asked. "I don't mean that I'm unhappy to see you, but ..."

She was so young. But Guenna was neither fragile, nor innocent - not in the sense of being naive, or over-protected. To my great regret - my private shame - I hadn't been able to protect her or her sisters from very much.

There was no point in beating about the bush with Guenna. She was far too clever for me.

- "Vingoldas came to see me."

- "Oh? What about?"

- "He asked for my permission to marry Tanguiste."

Guenna seemed mildly surprised. Then she looked down for a moment.

- "Did he?" she said. "And how did you answer him?"

- "I told him that it was her decision."

- "You didn't say that she was too young? Or that you had to discuss it with her first?"

- "No. I told all three of you that you could marry whoever you wanted. Or not." I said, thinking of Yevna. "Does Tan love him, do you think?"

She stopped playing coy. Her smile was genuine.

- "Yes. Of course she does."

- "That's good. I just ... I hadn't really noticed."

Guenna laughed aloud.

- "There are quite a few things you don't notice, Papa."

- "In my defence, I was unconscious and feverish for several days. And there have been other matters to occupy my attention."

- "I know. I was just teasing." she said. "But why did you come out in the cold to tell me?"

- "I was ... wondering if you knew." No - that was an evasion. I told Guenna the truth. "I was worried about how you might take it."

My daughter looked me in the eye for a moment. Then she smiled.

- "You were worried about me?"

- "Well ..."

- "That's very sweet of you. Is it because you were counting the eligible men on the Hill, and you couldn't think of anyone for me?" She laughed again. "That's alright. I can't either."

"Don't worry, Papa. I'm nowhere near ready to marry. We have plenty of other things to worry about, as you say."

"But I appreciate the thought." Guenna came closer, and wrapped her arms around me - a little awkwardly, with all the fur we were both wearing, and with Guenna's bow and quiver in the way.

- "I love you, girl." I managed to say.

- "I know. We all know. It's still nice to hear, though."

- "You're not upset?"

- "Not at all. I'm so pleased for Tan. I'm just surprised - I wasn't expecting it so soon."

- "Ah. Guen Nadesti and I may have had something to do with the timing. We agreed that Vingoldas should take over as leader on the Hill."

- "You did? But why?" It was a pleasure to watch Guenna's face as her mind worked. "Is it because Mother Nadesti was ill? But you - ah! I see. You can still have influence, without offending anyone. Vingoldas is acceptable to just about everyone."

- "As long as he's acceptable to Tan." I said.

She blushed. "Yes."

- "Then I'm happy."

***

I ran into Yevna later that day. The wind had dropped, and it was not so chillingly cold. She and Nameless were helping Dengelle and Eliv to practice with their bows. I watched them for a while, until Yevna came over to me.

- "Is everything ... alright?"

- "Yes." I said. Then I took her in my arms, and held her close. Yevna was surprised, at first. She held her bow in one hand, but she wrapped the other arm around my neck.

"I should've hugged you much more often. I love you, Yevna."

Yevna rested her head on my shoulder.

- "I know, Papa." she said, softly.

- "I'm very happy that you're with Inisian. And now your sister is going to marry Vingoldas."

- "Oh?" said Yevna. "Which one?"

***

I'll admit that I dithered and delayed for a while. I decided to talk to my wife, first, because I suspected that she would never forgive me if I didn't. Sulcen listened attentively, and then gave me simple, succinct advice.

- "Talk to her."

Tanguiste was still visiting Mother Nadesti daily, making sure that the old woman was eating well, and not suffering a relapse, as Moruith had. I dropped in for a visit, as well, and watched my daughter work her magic.

Everyone on the Hill loved her. There was no doubt about that.

Tanguiste was pretty, like her mother ... no, the correct word was beautiful. My daughter was a princess from the sagas, with the most loving, most appealing personality.

I wasn't blind to Guenna's qualities - I loved my youngest without reservation. But if I pretended to be an impartial observer, I could readily understand how Vingoldas could choose Tanguiste over Guenna.

- "Walk me home?" I asked her.

- "You're so transparent." she said, with a laugh.

- "What's that supposed to mean?" I said, trying to look aggrieved.

- "You want to tell me something. Honestly, Papa, if I had any secrets, you'd be the last person I confided in."

- "Tan - I wanted to talk to you." I said.

Her smile vanished. "Oh - it's something serious?"

I managed to keep my mouth shut until we got home. Guenna wasn't there. Nor was Nameless. But Sulcen was - she didn't trust me not to make a mess of this.

- "What is it? Is something wrong?" asked my daughter.

- "No, sweetheart." I said. "We just wanted to let you know ... there have been a few ... changes." There was no way to know how much Guen Nadesti had confided in her.

Tanguiste was no fool. She was also particularly adept at reading people, and their needs. It was obvious to me that Mother Nadesti had few secrets, where Tanguiste was concerned. But my daughter was quick to ascertain that I would not have arranged a private moment to tell her that Guen Nadesti and I had chosen Vingoldas to be leader on the Hill.

She sat down.

- "Changes?" she said.

I didn't have the heart to hold back.

- "Tan, Vingoldas came to see me the other day. He asked for my permission to marry you."

- "That's wonderful!" she said, loudly.

I kept my mouth shut, again - just as my wife told me to do.

"Oh." said my daughter. "You spoke to Guenna?"

- "I was telling Yevna the good news - that Vingoldas was going to marry her sister. She asked me: 'Which One'?"

Tanguiste looked to Sulcen. Then she quickly recovered her composure.

- "Have you spoken to Guenna?" she asked me.

- "When I told Guen the news, she was happy for you. I had no idea whatsoever that she'd ever considered Vingoldas as ... as a mate for herself."

- "I'll talk to her." said Tanguiste. "We - we've talked about the men on the Hill before. We both agreed that Vingoldas was the best. I mean - even if we were back in Asphodels, and nothing bad had ever happened ... Vingoldas would still be the best man I could imagine."

"She likes him. That's understandable. Her dreams of a husband though ... are still far off in the future. She knows that I didn't feel the same way. Guen knows that I love him."

"I can talk to her. She'll understand."

***

Red-headed Seva made no such attempt. When she found out, she was absolutely furious - stamping, spitting mad. It was understandable, in a way: before our arrival on the Hill, Vingoldas was just about the only available male other than her brother. Seva was the only female close to Vingoldas in age. Naturally enough, she assumed that they were destined for each other.

I had enough issues of my own to deal with. The angry redhead was Vingoldas' problem. I wished him luck with it.

As for my daughters ... they worked it out.

Guenna sought me out.

- "It's fine, Papa." she said. "I'm truly happy for Tan."

- "Are you sure?" I asked.

- "Yes. It may be that my future husband isn't on the Hill yet. But Vingoldas loves Tanguiste - and she loves him. I'm very happy for her."

My daughters might have been keeping secrets from their old father. But that was the last I heard on that subject. That didn't mean that I stopped worrying about it.

- "Your girls are fine." said my wife.

She was right.

***

In the spring, Yevna found two men blundering through the marsh. She was out hunting with Dengelle when she came upon them. The women extricated the unlucky - or lucky - pair, and brought them onto the Hill.

Lihi was a remarkably ugly fellow, with a prominent forehead, thick eyebrows, and a thrusting jaw. His cousin, Odma, was short, and thickset, with a tuft of downy fluff on his chin.

- "I heard Yevna speak, at Borin's house." said Lihi.

I had no idea where or what that was.

- "West of the lake." said Yevna.

- "I want to be a warrior." said Lihi. "So does my cousin."

- "Why not join Bacho, then?" I asked.

Lihi's upper lip curled. "Bacho's son killed my kinsman - after raping his wife."

- "I'm sorry." I said.

- "Don't be." said Lihi. "Just give us a chance to pay them back."

There was a great deal of resentment and outright hatred for Bacho in the surrounding areas. Understandable, really. Tyrants never seem to realize that folk take it ill when you kill their relatives and friends. Given time, I wondered just how many men - and women - we could recruit.

Within a week, we had two more men. They were wandering about on the edge of the slope, not far from the Sleeve, obviously looking for a way up.

Seva and Weyl brought them to us.

- "They've come to join us!" said Seva.

- "We heard that Veran Hammerfist is here." said Corein. He was the taller of the two, a good-looking young man with his long hair bound in a ponytail.

- "I'm called One-Eye, now." I said.

- "How did you happen to hear about us?" asked Vingoldas.

- "Everyone's talking about Ham - about Veran being here. Isn't this where the resistance is centred?" said Corein.

- "The Resistance?"

- "Aren't you fighting against Bacho the Bear? That's why we're here."

- "We're glad to have you." said Vingoldas.

Only ... I wasn't so sure. I hadn't been called Hammerfist for some time. Nor had I heard Bacho referred to as 'the Bear' - not since we fled the lake.

Vingoldas gave them a quick tour of the Hill, pointing out our natural defenses, and introducing them to anyone we met along the way. Seva and Weyl chatted happily, proud that they had been the ones to find our newest recruits.

We didn't have the means for a feast, but we could provide the men with a good meal, at least. They met Lihi and Odma, Hedyn, Giedra and her friends , Tanguiste and Guenna.

- "I don't like Ponytail." whispered Guenna, into my ear.

- "Why not?"

- "I don't like the way he looks at Tan."

I looked at him, but I couldn't quite see what she meant. "Your sister's a lovely young woman. It's natural for a man to admire her."

- "That's not admiration." said Guenna.

Yevna arrived late to the gathering. She came with Dengelle, and Nameless. They met the newcomers, had a drink, and then left - which was very rude.

But they came back a few moments later. All three had their bows, with arrows drawn.

- "Yevna!" shouted Vingoldas. "What are you doing?"

It wasn't Yevna who answered. She was aiming straight at Corein. Nameless had his companion targeted. Dengelle stepped forward, her little bow aimed at Corein.

- "You don't recognize me, do you?" she said.

Corein looked at her. "No ... I don't think I know you." he said.

- "We've met." said Dengelle. "We met when you killed my brother. And we met again very shortly thereafter, when you raped me. You and several of your friends."

Corein looked to Vingoldas, and to me. "She's mistaken." he said. "I've never met this wench. I don't know her."

- "We were never properly introduced." said Dengelle. "But I know you. D'you think I could forget?"

- "What about this one?" I asked, pointing at Corein's companion.

- "Never seen him before." said Dengelle.

- "But you can judge some men by the company they keep." said Nameless.

Corein's companion made a futile attempt to leap to his feet, and run. Hedyn blocked his way, and Nameless put an arrow in his leg.

Corein tried one last bluff, pretending that he had only met this man on the way to our hill. Dengelle just stared at him, pitilessly.

- "Give him to us, Father." said Yevna.

- "No."

Yevna protested, and Nameless added her opinion. I ignored them, and spoke directly to Dengelle.

"You can have Corein, but not 'till I'm finished with him." I said. "I need to find out what he knows."

Svijo's sister nodded, and gave me permission. I could have done without the mad smile on her gaunt face.

I gave Corein three chances. He was smart enough to know that he wasn't walking away from this. He tried to bargain, but shut up when he read his doom in my eye, and in the eyes of Vingoldas and Hedyn.

His companion had one more option.

- "Tell me what I want to know, and I won't hand you over to the women." I said.

He talked. In great detail. I heard everything I wanted to know. We granted him a quick release. Under the circumstances, it was very merciful.

We gave Corein to the women.

They took him to the far end of the Hill, next to the swamp. But we still heard his screams.

They lasted for a very long time.

***

Lihi and Odma were subjected to additional scrutiny, after that. But they were who they said they were, and both of them worked hard to prove it to us. We built another house, but mostly we trained, and prepared for Bacho's attack.

We knew it was coming, and we knew where - more or less. It would be soon, as well.

Compared to last year, we were in much better shape. I had to count on my fingers and toes three times to make absolutely sure, but it always came out the same.

- "Fifteen!" I said.

- "Seventeen." said Guenna.

- "How did you get seventeen?"

- "You keep forgetting Tanguiste." she said.

- "That's not forgetting." I said. "I don't want her - or Sulcen - fighting. And even if I added her, that only makes sixteen. Who else are you counting?"

- "You."

- "Oh. Right."

No matter how bad I was at counting, it was encouraging that we had so many fighters: Vingoldas and Hedyn, Inisian and Weyl, Hocon, Lihi and Odma, for the men. And then Yevna and Guenna, Seva and Dengelle, Giedra and her two friends, and Nameless.

Yes, half of our warriors were women. But I would have put Yevna and Giedra ahead of half of our men. And Nameless ... she was in a class by herself. Seva could shoot, and Guenna and Rion had courage, even if their skills were ... unpolished.

We had the Hill, and we had enough people to defend it. That didn't help me sleep.

- "You've thought it through a hundred times." said Sulcen. "You can't do any more tonight. Go to sleep."

- "I can't help it."

My lovely wife touched my cheek.

- "Veran, there's no point worrying about things you can't change. Wait until they get here to start worrying." she said.

I had to smile, in the dark. That sounded so much like my daughters, repeating to me what I had always taught them. I kissed Sulcen back.

- "You're right." I said. "Thank you."

- "So you'll stop tossing and turning?"

- "Well ... I can think of something that would help me sleep ..."

***

We built several more blinds, so that more of us could watch the slope around the Sleeve. We also piled up an impressive supply of stones and heavy rocks, as additional missiles.

It was a cloudy, overcast day, when they came. It rained in the morning, for a while. They sun kept threatening to peek through the clouds, but never did.

Guenna came running, from the post she shared with Nameless.

- "They're here!"

We ran to the Sleeve. There was no real hurry - they weren't going to overcome the slope without a major effort - but our spirits were high. We had been waiting for this moment for weeks.

I crouched in a blind, next to Vingoldas.

- "That's it?" he whispered.

I was equally perplexed. Down below, in the narrow open space between the trees, we could see six armed men. They carried shields, a massive coil of rope, and a curious contraption built of wood and rope, that might have been a ladder.

But there were only six of them.

- "Something's wrong." said Vingoldas. "That's not an attack - that's a probe."

He poked me in the ribs. "Don't you think so, Veran?"

- "Yes!" I hissed. "Shut up!"

Something was wrong.

We were ready to repel a serious attack. This wasn't it. I cudgelled my brains to figure out what was going on.

Guenna slid into our bind.

- "It's a feint." she said. "That's not a real attack. Where's Bacho? Where's Kestutis?"

- "Veran?" said Vingoldas.

- "I'm thinking."

Then I heard Hedyn, pitching his voice low, to call us back. We emerged from the blind, to find the big man holding little Vialla's hand. She was 9 years old, now, still curly-haired and snot-nosed.

- "Tell them." said Hedyn.

The little girl looked at me, serious as only a child can be.

- "Boats." she said.

Shit.

- "How many boats, Vialla?" I asked her.

She counted in her head, and then held up four fingers.

Shit shit shit.

Corein's companion had lied, just before I killed him. Or he hadn't known at all. Or Bacho had lied to him. It was also possible that Bacho had changed his mind. All these thoughts flashed through my mind in an instant. None of them mattered.

They were coming by the river. Our defensive plan had turned to shit - in the blink of an eye. We had to be on the other side of the Hill - but someone had to stay here, in case these six men managed to get up the slope.

I summoned everyone to me, well back from the edge of the slope. It took a few moments. Vingoldas let me take charge - he was no fool. He was Headman on the Hill, but he knew enough to defer to me in a situation like this.

My eye fell on the redhead twins, and that got me started.

- "Seva! Weyl! You're in charge here. If they try to climb the hill, shoot them full of holes. Vialla - you stay here, too. If more men come, or if you can't stop them, send for help. Understood?"

Seva wasn't happy, but Weyl saw our need. "We can do it, Veran."

The rest of us ran for the side of the Hill overlooking the river. I cursed under my breath most of the way. Why is it that a perfect plan can't work? If they had tried to climb the Sleeve, we could have slaughtered them. Now I had no idea what would happen.

Tanguiste met us halfway.

- "Did Vialla get to you? Four boats. Nineteen men." she said, breathlessly.

- "Alright." I gasped.

- "Kestutis is there." she added.

I had enough presence of mind to give her instructions. "Take two of the sneakers - or runners - to the Sleeve. If Seva and Weyl are having trouble, I want to know immediately."

Bless her - Tanguiste didn't question or dispute my orders.

While we ran, other ideas had been running through my mind. Sulcen was right: there was no time like the middle of a crisis when it came to worrying.

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,328 Followers