The Chronicles: Three Sisters 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was remarkably easy, from that point on. I won't lie: there were a few unhappy men, who had ambitions of their own. One was bold enough to cry out.

- "He's too old!"

It was a fair point, I thought. My best days were long past. But the hundreds of people in Nareven didn't agree; they shouted the man down. The collective growl was actually frightening.

I was made leader by acclamation.

I promised to listen to their complaints and their suggestions. In the meantime, I asked them to accept my daughters as they would me.

Yevna took charge of the food supply. She made sure that hunting parties went out in different directions, so that they wouldn't trip over each other, or accidentally shoot another hunter instead of a deer.

Tanguiste put people to work, finding tasks for everyone best suited to their abilities. Young and old could gather food and herbs, or thatching for houses. Men with axes were set to felling trees.

There were nowhere near enough houses for the multitude of people in the Vale. If we couldn't build shelters, the coming winter was going to decimate us.

And then there was the problem of the Izumyrians.

Guenna organized the fighters. She posted scouts at the two main entrances to the Vale: from the slopes of Brana, the route we'd taken, but also the path to the lake, which Bacho had used so many times. If they chose to approach by that route, our scouts would see them coming in plenty of time to give us warning.

And if the cavalrymen continued to pursue us across the slopes of Brana, there were several excellent sites where we could lay ambushes. That is, if we could gather enough fighters.

Within those first few days, 30 men came to me, ready to fight in defence of the Vale. That immediately tripled the number of warriors we'd come with.

It was a disappointingly small number, given how many people were gathered in Nareven. There should have been at least twice, and possibly three times as many.

But Bacho and Kestutis had killed many, over the years, and the Izumyrians had slaughtered dozens of men of fighting age. Those who were left were often too old, or too young.

There was, though, another fascinating reaction to our arrival. Only a blind man or woman could have missed the fact that fully half of the warriors in our party were women.

I don't know if Giedra had been talking. But I had an odd experience on our fourth day there.

Three young women asked to speak to me.

- "You're Payl's great-grandson, aren't you?" one of them said.

- "I am."

- "And your daughters are warriors?"

- "Yevna may be the best archer in the Vale. And Guenna saved us several times, when the Izumyrians were pursuing us. Tanguiste - well, not so much - but everyone can make a contribution ..."

- "What if we wantto be fighters?" said one of them. She was a tiny thing, with frizzy hair and enormous eyes.

- "If you want to learn to fight," I said, "we'll teach you."

- "That's what I want."

- "Me too." said her friends.

I learned, over the next week, as I had similar conversations over and over again, that there were dozens of women who were prepared to take up weapons.

People knew my name. But my ancestor, Payl, was a legend.

It may be that the deaths of so many men left families without a male authority figure. That freed daughters; there was no one to tell them what they couldn't do, and what they weren't allowed to do.

Or perhaps the young women saw Giedra, or Nameless. Or Yevna. Eliv, Rion, Seva, Guenna ... even Dengelle, still recovering from her broken arm.

They weren't boastful (well, except for Giedra). They didn't swagger, or push people aside. But they walked about with a certain ... confidence.

They'd been in battle, and they hadn't backed down.

The old folk in the Vale? They thought that I was a hero. They looked to me for leadership, and happily retold stories where I featured prominently.

But the younger ones? There weren't so many young men. The young women, though, looked to Giedra and Yevna and Nameless ... and saw the tales of Payl come to life.

- "You were right." I said to Giedra.

- "What was that? Say that again."

- "You heard me."

- "Maybe. But I want witnesses." said Giedra. "Can we call an assembly?"

I let her enjoy the moment.

- "Are you done?" I asked.

- "Almost." she laughed. "Oh, Veran, can you imagine if I'd met you when you were younger?"

- "How much younger? When you were four years old?" I made light of it, but I was flattered by what she'd said - I can admit that.

She laughed again. "I was paying you a compliment, old man."

- "I know. You're a beautiful woman, Giedra. And you impressed me the very first time we met."

- "But? Thank you for the compliments, but I can hear the 'but' ..."

- "It's just that I don't think your daughters would ever be able to match you. Whereas mine are all so much greater than I am."

She didn't respond right away. Giedra did me the great courtesy of considering what I'd said, and mulling over my words.

- "Every time ..." she said. "I try to ... and then you say something like that."

I wasn't sure, for a moment. It seemed to me that Giedra might actually cry. Then she snorted, and raised her head.

"Alright - let's go back to the beginning. I was right. About what?"

I told her about the dozens of young women who'd come to see me, wanting to be warriors, to fight against any threat to the Vale.

- "I need your help, Giedra." I said. "These women need training. I don't know if I can do it. I mean, I can teach them - I just don't know if I can inspire them. But you could. Hell, a third of them already think that you're another Payl ..."

- "I am, Veran. You know that. I told you that when we first met."

- "Will you help to train them, Giedra?"

- "Of course I will!" The she grinned at me. "I'll create my very own warband. All I need after that is a guslar!"

In the end, we had almost 60 women volunteers. We split them into three groups: Giedra took those who looked like they could fight with axes, spears or long knives, women who didn't flinch at the prospect of combat at close quarters.

Yevna took those who appeared to be most suited to the bow, and trained them in archery. They shot at targets, of course, but she also took them hunting.

Nameless watched, and waited, before she created a third group: three women who seemed equally adept with bow and melee weapons.

Giedra wasn't happy when Nameless 'poached' two of her best prospects. But she didn't make an issue of it.

Of the sixty or so women who began training, about a third eventually dropped out. Many didn't have the skills, or the physical skills and stamina required. 'Culling the herd', Giedra called it.

There were also quite a few who could wield weapons, but only like Dengelle, or Eliv ... second-rank fighters, at best.

But Giedra emerged from the experience with 10 more women warriors. Added to Eliv and Rion, she had a 'tail' of a dozen. The male fighters scoffed at these women - until one man unwisely decided to molest one of Giedra's students.

We never found more than a single piece of him.

Yevna gathered a dozen decent archers to herself, which helped enormously, because they could double as hunters and scouts, guarding the approaches to the Vale.

One of the women Nameless had trained changed her mind, and rejoined Giedra's band. The other two, though, stuck to Nameless like burrs. They were skilled fighters; I wouldn't have wanted to face them, even had I been half as old as I was now.

Every day that passed, Tanguiste and Vingoldas found a way to build more shelters. By building directly adjacent to existing houses, they only needed to construct 3 walls, instead of four. It wasn't ideal, but more and more people got out of the cold - and they knew who to thank.

The nights were growing colder, and there was a chill in the air even during the day. The first frost had come before we'd even arrived in Nareven.

Every day, I worried a little less about the Izumyrians. If they hadn't found us by now, it was possible that they were more worried about where to spend the winter. Or perhaps there was more resistance in the Lowlands than they'd expected.

People continued to trickle into the Vale. Some came with their families, but some were young people, alone, or with a few friends. Word had spread about who was in Nareven. I felt odd, that people would travel to join us because they'd heard my name. I didn't deserve so much ... trust? Nor did I know how to meet their expectations.

But we weren't about to turn away young men who could fight, or who help us build houses. And young women, too.

Tanguiste was soon able to offer the Duchess a house of her own, exclusively for the Lowlanders.

- "Thank you." said Mother Nadesti. "Another night with her might have pushed me over the edge. I was seriously tempted to stab her in her sleep."

Then Tanguiste informed me that our house was ready.

- "Our house?"

She counted the names on the tips of her fingers. "You, me, Sulcen and Vingoldas, Guenna, Yevna and Dengelle, and Nameless."

I was very pleased that she'd included Nameless. That girl didn't just lack a name; she had no home. We were in the process of adopting her, and Tanguiste had known that we should include her in our household.

Nameless herself wasn't so sure.

- "But this is ... just for your family."

- "Yes, it is." I said. "And that's your spot - right over there."

- "But ... shouldn't Mother Nadesti be here? Instead of me?"

- "Oh, goodness, no." said Sulcen. "She snores something awful."

- "Just mind you don't let Guenna hog all of the blankets." said Tanguiste.

Nameless didn't have to say anything. The expression on her face was all the thanks we could have asked.

Tanguiste had delayed building a house for us, until virtually everyone else in the Vale had a place to sleep. Only those who'd arrived after us still needed to be provided for.

It might seem like a small thing, but folk knew that my daughter hadn't rushed to look after her family first. Actually, she'd left us until last. She didn't announce that fact, but there were people who understood perfectly. We weren't here to feather our own nests, or to enrich ourselves at the expense of others. It was what my father taught me, and what I tried to instill in my daughters.

***

The Izumyrians didn't come.

***

It was quite a mild winter - for which we were very grateful. And my daughters continued to do the bulk of the work that I should have been doing - for which I was very grateful.

I don't mean to suggest that I was idle. Far from it. But as headman at Asphodels, I'd had less than 50 people to worry about. There were now almost 600 in the Vale. I couldn't possibly have handled everything that needed doing.

No matter how much I tried, I couldn't speak to everyone on a daily basis. Try saying 'Hello -how are you?' five hundred times a day.

My daughters took care of virtually everything, ably assisted by Vingoldas, Giedra, Nameless, and many others. Guen Nadesti helped me, listening to complaints, and helping to resolve quarrels.

Most of these were of a type that we were both familiar with.

But there was one issue that neither of us quite knew how to handle: the Duchess.

She was difficult at the best of times. Then there was Iduallon, who was still humping Seva, plus two other young women - that we knew of.

We could talk to old Prosquetel, but his amiability was merely a device, a way to have us excuse the Duchess' increasingly imperious behaviour. I liked young Gerimir, but he grew very uncomfortable if anyone criticized the Lady of Hvad in his presence.

The Lowlanders (except for Gerimir) acted as if everyone in the Vale was some lower form of life which had been created for the express purpose of serving them. It was irritating, at times. Even when they weren't deliberately antagonizing us, they could be annoying.

But it was even worse than that.

One night, Tanguiste asked me to join her.

- "I'm just going to visit one of the original families in the Vale." she said. "I think that you should come with me."

- "Really?" I said. "Why do you need me there?"

- "Just trust me. Please. And don't say or do anything - no matter what you hear." Tanguiste didn't often ask me to do something like this, but the tone of her voice was enough to make me agree without question.

- "Alright."

We entered the house. I knew it well - it was adjacent to the very first new shelter Tanguiste had had built. That meant that the people occupying the house right beside it - separated by a stone wall - were the Duchess and her entourage.

The families who lived there were known to me. I greeted them with a nod, since my daughter had enjoined me not to speak. The matriarch of the house simply pointed to the wall separating them from the Lowlanders.

Tanguiste led me there. The two of us stood next to the stones. There was no mortar between them; gaps had been plugged with small rocks, bits of wood, and clumps of thatching.

I could hear the voices of the Lowlanders through it.

They weren't whispering. Could it be that they didn't realize we could hear them? Perhaps living in the Duke's castle had led them to believe that rooms were soundproof.

- "Are you certain?" said Prosquetel.

- "Absolutely." said Iduallon. Even the sound of his voice set my teeth on edge.

- "Tell the Duchess, then." said the old man.

- "Lady, I believe that we can raise a substantial force among these Uplanders, just as Borna - the first Borna - did. With their support, we can regain the Duchy, for you and your son."

- "Tell me."

- "There are dozens of unaffiliated warriors here." said Iduallon. "Men and women. I believe that we can appeal to them, and win them over."

- "How?"

- "With a promise of future reward, Lady. Wealth, loot ... glory and renown. They are credulous, and easily led."

Tanguiste laid her hand on my arm. It was a good thing she did; my instinct was to start tearing stones from the wall, so that I could get at that turd Iduallon. But I'd promised Tan that I would listen - and not say or do anything. She put a finger to her lips, as well.

- "How do you know this, Iduallon?" said the Duchess.

- "I've already recruited quite a few of them, Lady. And I believe that I can win over many more, given ... the opportunity."

- "The opportunity?"

- "The biggest obstacle, Lady, is One-Eye." said Prosquetel. "If he were ... eliminated, then Iduallon would be free to persuade the bulk of the warriors here to support you."

- "Would you be able to ... remove him?" asked the Duchess.

- "It can be done, Lady."

- "Best not to say anything to Gerimir about this." added Prosquetel. "He can be a bit ... soft ... where the Uplanders are concerned."

I turned my head, and looked at Tanguiste. She didn't look surprised at all.

I led her outside. My fists were tightly clenched, as I tried hard to control my rage.

- "How long have you known this?"

- "A week."

- "Who was Iduallon talking about? Who supports them?"

- "Seva. Odma. A few of the newcomers."

- "Why didn't you tell me?" I said.

- "I just did."

Some might forgive me for having a low opinion of human nature, given my family history. But whenever I've expected the worst from people, they've surprised me with their kindness, their generosity, and their ability to do good even when surrounded by evil on all sides.

Moruith and Inisian took us in. Guen Nadesti let us stay on the Hill. And my three girls, who'd been hated, and hunted, but were still capable of so much kindness.

One doesn't offer hospitality expecting a reward; one offers hospitality because it's the right thing to do. But I was still shocked that the Lowlanders would stoop to murder because they saw me as an obstacle.

I didn't want to react hastily, out of anger. This was a matter that touched all the members of my family, so I called them together the following day: my daughters, my wife, Vingoldas, Nameless and Dengelle, and Mother Nadesti.

At my invitation, Tanguiste told the tale. I wanted to see the reactions on their faces, to see if they matched my own feelings.

Vingoldas already knew. Yevna obviously hadn't; she was quivering with anger. Dengelle looked deeply saddened.

Guen Nadesti met my eye.

- "You would be within your rights to kill them all." she said.

- "Not the babe." said Tanguiste.

- "Including the babe." said Mother Nadesti.

Nameless wasn't going to speak; she was still getting used to the idea that we counted her as a member of the family. But Guenna was obviously troubled.

- "How important is he to you, Guenna?" I asked. I didn't have to say his name.

- "I like him, Papa. He's ... he's an honourable man."

- "He knows nothing of this. The other Lowlanders haven't told him of their plan."

- "I'm relieved to hear it." she said.

- "I'm not." said Yevna. "If you called us here to vote, then I say kill them all."

Tanguiste held my arm. "Wait." she whispered.

- "Not the babe. And not Gerimir." said Sulcen. "Guenna loves him."

- "Not the babe." said Dengelle, quietly.

- "It's your choice, Veran. You're the Headman." said Guen Nadesti.

- "And will you all abide by my decision?" I asked.

***

I arranged a meeting, between the Lowlanders and my family. Then I included Giedra and Hedyn, because I thought they should know, and the people in the house adjacent to the Lowlanders, because they already knew.

We asked to use the largest house in the Vale - and it was still crowded, with all of us in there. Giedra and Hedyn looked confused; I hadn't told them anything about why we were gathered. The Lowlanders were curious, but not too apprehensive. The Duchess wore her customary haughty expression.

- "I've called you all here to hear justice served." I said. "These people - the Duchess and her men - have been conspiring to murder me."

Only three people looked surprised: Giedra, Hedyn, and Gerimir.

- "You can't be serious." said Prosquetel, smoothly. But Iduallon and Duchess Temara looked neither surprised nor offended. Gerimir had the decency to hang his head in shame.

- "My daughter and I stood in the house next to yours, two nights ago. We heard you say that my 'removal' would allow you to recruit more fighters."

- "Come now ..." said Prosquetel, with a smile. "When we said 'remove', we were simply suggesting that we might be able to arrange the election of another headman - someone more, ah, sympathetic to our needs."

Tanguiste spoke up. "Except that Iduallon used the word 'eliminate'." she said. "And two nights before that, you yourself said that a 'convenient accident' might be 'arranged'. Do you still want to claim that you were talking about an election?"

Prosquetel had no quick reply. Iduallon scowled, though. "You have no power over us."

- "Veran has every right." said Mother Nadesti. "He can put you to death. All of you - including the babe."

- "No!" shouted the Duchess. She clutched her son tighter, and half turned, as if to shield him with her body.

- "You wouldn't!" said Gerimir. "That would be barbaric!"

- "But to abuse the hospitality of the people who took you in? To murder the man who shed blood to defend you? That's civilized?" Mother Nadesti didn't have to raise her voice. She had everyone's attention.

"Do you know who this man is? Veran has helped you, protected you, fed and sheltered you. He should have handed you over to the Izumyrians."

That seemed to sting the Duchess.

- "How dare you!" she cried. "You owe me your loyalty! I am the Duchess of Hvad! Mother of the Heir!"

I could only shake my head. Some people, it seems, cannot learn. But this display, today, was more for the people of the Vale. They'd hear everything that was said and done.