The Circle Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Snap the fuck out of it, Fiona, I told myself. One day. He's been here one day and I'm acting like a bitch in heat.

You should probably quit eye-fucking the newbie, Margot purred over our link, and I bit my lips to keep from smiling, praying I didn't flush with her comment.

Sipping his coffee, he looked at all of us with raised eyebrows, as if surprised we were actually considering his question. "It's definitely something to consider," I said, "We have a while to streamline everything, but it's good to have these discussions now."

"So that's how many attending?" Beth asked, looking down at the notepad in front of her. She had a pen perched in one hand, while the other held Isiah against her chest. I look around, counting in my head.

"Eight, counting me," I replied, putting my coffee down.

"Seven," Charlie corrected. "That week is when we start the new machine installation, and my guess is Mark will still be in and out dealing with Sam's mom." I made a small frown, for more than one reason. I was hoping Charlie would be able to attend, not really for the obvious reason of company, but to attend some of the training and security seminars we'd been unable to get to in previous years. Mark, the owner of the gym Charlie worked at, had been steadily less present as his wife's mother declined in health in Louisiana. Sam had been gone for nearly three months, and Mark was getting away whenever possible to visit her.

"Seven, and six rooms total." Beth jotted down notes on the paper in front of her.

"We can share a room," Poppy interrupted, nodding to Beth.

"She may appreciate some solitude, definitely some silence," I suggested with a shrug, and Beth looked like she may kiss me. "We have it in the budget. If you can get the hotel booked," I continued, and she nodded. "We can look at flights at the first February meeting." The rest of the girls nodded in agreement, and I stared down at the papers in front of me, glancing at the next item on the agenda. "Moving on," I started, and reached in my pile of papers to hand out the copies I'd made last night. "Faria called me this week and said there's been another attack." Margot let out a frustrated growl next to me, taking the top paper in the stack and passing it to George next to her. I nodded in agreement. "That's the fifth one in six months. This victim was able to provide a rough description."

"Rough? This is useless," Jeremy said, deadpan, and I shot him a look. Easy for him to say. He wasn't fighting off a serial rapist.

"Five victims?" Gavin echoed quietly, looking down at the wanted poster in his hand. "WANTED: SEXUAL ASSAULT AND BATTERY" is clearly visible on the top of the paper.

"As a reminder, we have our second self defense class a week from today," Charlie added in response. "Poppy will be leading this one, followed by Margot in February. Faria is providing some APD officers for support."

Our first class had been wildly popular, since we had handfuls of our female members assisting in teaching other young - and not so young - women how to defend themselves in this city we called home. Faria, one of the assistant district attorneys, was a loyal member of our Circle and kept us apprised of current threats in the city, often before the public knew. The sketch in our hands was going to hit the local paper that morning. I was going to send it out in a digital update once our meeting wrapped up.

"This guy's getting more bold," George muttered, speaking for the first time since coming into the house. I knew that he had been on call for 48 hours before stumbling into the meeting, so I appreciated his attention at any level. "A park?" I nodded.

"Woods outside of town, that was all she could give me before the press conference this afternoon."

I glanced over at Gavin. I could tell he felt uncomfortable - we were running down some heavy topics for his first time at any of our functions. To be thrown in the middle of a leadership meeting, totally unprepared, must have been a surprise. I felt guilty for not wrapping up quicker, so I pressed on.

"We'll keep everyone up to date as things develop, but hopefully this," I raised the paper in my hand, "will help get APD in the right direction. So far, no one in the Circle seems to have been involved." Poppy reached forward and knocked on the top of the table, seemingly for luck. I picked up my coffee, taking a deep sip before letting a smile cross my face. It felt foreign after the hard discussion we'd just had, but I gave Carter a pointed look next to me. "On a happier note," I started. "I've got an announcement to make." Carter's shit-eating grin only made me more excited to share. He lived for the drama, so being the center of attention is probably making his week - no, year. "I've decided to officially promote Carter to Gamma of the Circle of Artemis, effective at Spring Pledge." There's a ruckus of whoops as the table lights up, excited for our friend. Even George and Margot, who look like they're still half asleep, clap.

Charlie leaned behind Gavin and gave Carter a loud slap on the back, which made Carter wince slightly. I laughed to myself.

"I can't think of anyone more deserving of the title. You have been a real asset to this leadership team, and to me personally, over the last several years." While he was still grinning, Poppy got up from her seat, squealing, and gave him a hug.

"Does that mean we've picked a date for Spring Pledge?" Beth asked wistfully. I pulled my phone out, opening my calendar app.

"I was thinking two weeks from today?" I replied, half questioning. Her eyes lit up, and she started writing feverishly. "Carter said he'd help you get things together. Let's see if we can get Danny's for catering, maybe sandwiches, and I'll ask Silvie about coffee when I see her later." Max's brother managed a fun counter-order burger and sandwich shop, Danny's, north of town. Silvie, one of the owners of Moonlight Grind, was always willing to host a coffee bar at pledge events for an affordable rate. It helped the Circle, and brought customers to her East Austin shop.

"We'll probably want a tent with heaters," Carter added. "We always get that random cold spurt in February." I shrugged, but agreed.

"Let's put a call into Luxor just in case we have to use the ballroom, I don't think Liam will mind putting a soft hold for us for a lunch function." Beth nodded, still scribbling.

"Do you want to see if Peter will DJ while you're at the Grind?" Poppy asked, and we all murmured in agreement. Poppy's brother, Silvie's partner, was a rising event DJ, and had his own equipment, so for functions in my backyard, it was a good fit.

"I'm sorry," Gavin interrupted, leaning forward and putting his coffee down. "Did you just plan a party in two minutes?" I snorted into my cup.

"You should see them prepping for Yule Gala," Charlie quipped, and Poppy, letting out a gasp, slapped him on the arm. "This whole house looks like a craft store exploded."

"We've all known each other for a long time," Beth added, her hand squeezing Margot's on the table. "It would be concerning if we couldn't practically read each other's minds."

"I mean, we can read each other's minds," said Margot dryly, and I felt her push in at the edges of my mind. "Well, at least, everyone but the newb and the muggle."

Everyone but Gavin and Jeremy laughed. Only Circle members could hear each other, if they wanted to, and Jeremy, a human, and Gavin, not yet pledged, weren't included in the joke.

"Rude," Jeremy pouted, patting Iris on the back as she cooed softly.

When we finally wrapped up the meeting, everyone split off into pairs - Beth and Jeremy loaded the twins into their car, with Beth promising to send me a Pinterest board for Spring Pledge before the end of the weekend. Margot and George stumbled next door, where they'd been living for the last several years together. Like my grandmother before me, I wanted my Beta close - next door would do.

"I'll drop you back at the gym," Poppy told Charlie, zipping up her crop hoodie like it was actually going to do anything against the cold breeze outside. "I have to go by H-E-B to grab a few things for meal prep." He nodded, and I watched him go, tilting my head to the side, admiring his ass as he walked away. At the top of the stairs, he turned, flashing me a smile and winking, before heading to the front door. I rolled my eyes, and then, to my horror, realized there was a laundry basket sitting by the stairs, topped with a stack of my bras and underwear. Well, fuck. Guess Gavin got to see my underwear back to back days. Embarrassed, I spun back around to help Carter clean up the leftover papers and coffee.

I'd momentarily forgotten that Gavin was still there. He was standing, arms crossed, eyebrows raised, eyes flitting between me and the door. Beside him, Sophia came up to nudge his hand again.

"Sophia!" I called again, looking for any excuse not to make eye contact. I made my way to the back door and she followed, collar jingling, letting her outside for the first time since everyone got there.

"Boyfriend?" Gavin asked plainly, and I turned to him. Carter, ignoring our conversation, was carrying the tray of coffee into the kitchen and going to open the dishwasher.

"I'll get that, C," I told him, finally meeting Gavin's eye. Was that...jealousy? "Can you go make copies of the documents in his envelope, and grab the folder on the top of my desk? It has Lightwell on the front." Carter looked up, gave me a pointed look, and then walked around the counter, grabbing Gavin's envelope off the table and making his way down the hall to my office. "Not that it's any of your business," I said quietly, when Carter was out of earshot, "but I don't have a boyfriend. It's hard to date in this position." I gestured down to myself, and then, realizing I was dressed like a UT student during finals. "Well, you know what I mean."

"I'm not sure I do," he countered, and sank into one of the armchairs behind him. I pursed my lips, and sat down on the couch, reaching out to adjust the stack of books on my side table. Villages of France, Seasons of the Moon, Abandoned Places, one on top of the other.

"Men...and women for that matter...they tend to be afraid of me." His eyebrows perked up again at the word "women." "They always have been, long before I was the Alpha. It's hard to date people when you've got this aura, this career, but you're also a woman."

"So you're...bi?" I snorted, trying to figure out how I landed in this conversation after knowing him for 24 hours. "Sorry," he said, shifting in his seat. Now, at least, he had the decency to look momentarily uncomfortable. "That was an inappropriate question to ask my Alpha." I shrugged, pulling my hair to one side and fiddling with my pearl earring.

"I don't mind, really." I could hear the scanner whirring in my office. "Labels aren't really big here, you'll get that once you spend some time around more than just this group. Let's just say I had some wild times in my gap year, and wasn't really the same after that." I pulled out the shirt on my chest, which was from my year I'd spent backpacking in Europe. It seemed so long ago now, more than 10 years. I was telling the truth - much of the fluidity of sexuality outside of the U.S. was mirrored in current day Austin, if not the version of this community I'd grown up in. And so, as I became Alpha, the girls and I promoted that same sense of acceptance as we'd gained the trust of Circle members.

"Ok," Gavin said, sitting back and eyeing me. There was a glint to his eyes again. "So you and bro tank, you-

"Charlie," I corrected. He rolled his eyes, but nodded. "Charlie...fulfills a need." As he stared at me, I could hear Carter closing my office door. "One that mechanical methods don't satisfy." Gavin's eyes flared, shining bright, and I had to fight to keep myself from smiling. He crossed his legs uncomfortably, and ran both hands down the sides of his head, where his hair was cropped close.

I wondered, to myself, if his wolf was the same deep, dark color. Did his eyes shine brighter than they were now when he was shifted? He wasn't my usual cup of tea. But from afar, I could see why one might find him exciting.

"No one wants to hear about your mechanical methods, Fi," Carter called as he sauntered into the room, breaking me out of my train of thought. Good timing, in my opinion. He put a stack of papers on the bar with a pen, and then let Sophia in the door. She sniffed at him before realizing Gavin was still here, and bounded towards him, nearly putting her front paws into his crotch when she lept in his lap.

"I'm so sorry!" I cried, jumping to my feet. I fucking swear. Thousands of dollars in training and this is how she behaves. "She's usually never like this."

"It's ok," Gavin laughed, seemingly also broken out of whatever haze he'd been in, petting Sophia's head, which was now perilously close to his own.

"I think she likes him," Carter crooned, leaning over on the side of the couch by me and picking up his messenger bag. He gave Gavin a pointed glance before looking back at me. "Papers are all filled in with the info from the League report, he just needs to read and sign. I've gotta go, hot date tonight," he reminded me, and I gave him a saucy look.

"You're everything, have fun, make good choices!" I called after him as he walked towards the steps. Without looking back, he raised his hand over his head, giving me the finger. There was a pause while he put on his shoes, and then the door creaked open. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do!" I added, and Gavin chucked as the door closed loudly.

"Very different sides of both of you than at the office," he observed. I turned back to him.

"Yeah, it's funny how different we act when we're not around old white dudes with too much power and not enough hair." I grinned, and then glanced down at my watch. Shit, it was already after noon. I jumped up off the couch, startling Sophia. Gavin also stood, and followed me to the bar, where I leaned over, separating each section and laying them out. "Confidentiality agreement, Circle procedures, code of conduct," I explained, pointing to each in turn. "You don't have to sign them now, Carter is a little less careful reading things than we are."

"And these?" Gavin asked, pointing to the other stack. I pulled the papers already out back into a stack and clipped them together.

"Patrol schedule, you'll be in Beta squadron for now, which, um, obviously, Margot leads. We're on a four week rotation now, but we'll be moving to five and reorganizing after Carter's initiation to the inner Circle." I point to his name under Margot's roster on the second page. "She had patrol right after New Year's, so you won't be up until you're pledged." I place that paper in a new stack. "This is a brief summary of Circle history," I said, picking up the thick stack of papers clipped together already.

"Brief," Gavin repeated, his eyes going wide.

"What, you didn't learn pack history in Dallas?"

"DFW," he corrected, and I rolled my eyes. Okay. "We did, I did especially coming up in our family, but..." He thumbed through it. "The font was usually a little bigger. And it was in dusty, old books."

"This is just the essentials," I pressed, gesturing back to my office. "We have the originals of all of our Circle texts housed here, but everything is also digitized. These are just your copies to look through, ask any pertinent questions before pledging. Trust me, this is much less daunting than the terabyte of digital files." Gingerly, I took the stack from his hands and added it to the pile with the patrol schedule. "Lastly, this is your directory of Circle-affiliated businesses." I handed him the glossy, half-page booklet, and he tilted his head.

"These are all businesses pack - uh, Circle - members own?" He sounded somewhat impressed, flipping it open, the front cover, emblazoned with the Lunar League logo, facing me.

"Or managed," I explained, pointing to the little moons next to some of the businesses in each category. "These are the ones owned by members, the rest are managed by them. This is digitized too, just handy to have." He nodded, giving the book one last look before putting it in the second pile.

"What about this?" He pointed to the last stack of papers, also clipped together.

"That," I started, handing it to him, "is the lease information for the apartment we're going to go see."

Gavin

Again in the passenger seat of Fiona's tidy car, we pulled into a parking spot facing a small coffee shop at the corner of a busy shopping area a few minutes after leaving her house. She had mentioned on the way there that the apartment was above a business, but didn't mention what kind. If the coffee here was good, and I took the apartment for the time being - I shuddered thinking about the constant caffeine intake.

"You'll love the owners," Fiona said, reaching back behind her seat and picking up her large purse. "They live on the second floor, the available unit is on the top floor. They help look after things when they can, especially with freezes, maintenance and such." She hopped out of the car, and I followed on my side, trailing behind her through the front door, which read Moonlight Grind in bold, silvery letters. A little on the nose, but ok.

"Fi!" a woman behind the counter shouted, and then made her way towards Fiona in a flash of wild brown curls.

"Hi, Silvie," Fiona laughed, embracing the woman, who was dressed in a deep navy apron with a shirt bearing the logo of the shop. Her protruding belly stuck out between the two of them. The room smelled amazing - freshly roasted beans, and, I noticed, a sliding glass display of pastries and sandwiches. The shop was painted a dark blue, with light fixtures and art pieces adorning the walls, all in some form of celestial shapes. Stars, moons, suns. An ornate, brass chandelier that looks like a solar system hung in the center of the room, hovering over velvet couches and comfortable looking booths.

They broke their embrace, and one arm still around Silvie, Fiona gestured to me. "Silvie, this is Gavin. Gavin Lightwell." Her eyebrows show up at my last name, but Fiona carried on. "He's just moved here this week, and we're trying to find somewhere for him to land on his feet for a bit that isn't the extended stay at Mopac and Windsor." Silvie made a face.

"Ok, in my defense," I started, trying to act casual, "I didn't know it was a bad area when I booked it."

"Not judging," she said, putting her hands up. She clearly was.

"Hey Fi!" called a red-headed man behind the counter, working an espresso machine like it was second nature.

"Hey, Peter," Fiona responded with a wave, and then turned back to us, squeezing Silvie's shoulder. "Peter is Silvie's partner, and Poppy's brother." She looked at Silvie, and then explained, "Gavin sat in on the tail end of an inner Circle meeting this morning."

"Ooh," Silvie crooned, putting a hand under her stomach. "Did you get a word in edgewise?"

"He actually had some good ideas," Fiona countered. I felt my chest swell. She thought my ideas were good.

"Hey, babe?" I heard as a man came out of a back room, weaving through the line of customers towards us. For a heartbeat, I thought he was talking to Fiona. But then, he leaned down, pecking Silvie on the lips. "Hey, Fi," he added, giving Fiona's arm a squeeze and leaning down to give her a kiss on the cheek. His long, black hair hung in his face, and the apron he wore was covered in what looked like flour.

I wasn't able to contain the confused face fighting to the surface. Silvie laughed, and Fiona and the man followed.

"Gavin, this is Kyle," she started, and Kyle leaned down further, planting a gentle kiss on Silvie's stomach and brushing his long hair from his face. "Silvie and Peter's other partner." My mouth formed an "o" in realization, and I glanced between the two of them, and Peter behind the counter, who didn't seem to notice our conversation at all.