The Conner Family Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then in those few short moments of silence - someone in the audience started clapping.

Admiral Peterson stood and also began to clap.

Then others in the audience quickly stood and began to applaud. And soon everyone in the audience was applauding.

Jen took Ken's hand and held it. She took a deep breath and she felt both awed and humbled.

Mrs. Burns let the applause continue for about a minute and held up her hand and the audience quickly fell silent and everyone returned to their seats.

"Captain Jennifer Conner, Captain Alice Sweet," began Mrs. Burns, "it is a real pleasure to meet you both. And to have you come for a visit to our school. As you both already know the request to have you come for a visit was started by the students. And then with Admiral Peterson's assistance and that of his staff, we reached out to both of you."

"With that," added Mrs. Burns, "I understand that Admiral Peterson, has a few words to say concerning both of you. And has something to say about the accident." She turned to the Admiral. "Admiral." she held out the microphone to him.

Peterson rose and accepted the microphone. "Thank you Mrs. Burns. First I am very pleased to have been invited here this evening to - assist - in this - your school project. I have been on temporary duty at the Pentagon. Your request for Captain Conner and Captain Sweet to visit your school reached all the way to Washington D.C. and then to me at the Pentagon and - then to The White House and to the Oval Office and - to our President - Janet Porter."

"Too often in recent years", continued Peterson, "do certain members of the public reject the Military and they quickly speak out about the costs necessary to support our Service Men and Woman. And too often we hear unkind things spoken about those of us who serve. And I was much surprised and pleased to hear of your request and coming from children."

"Yet," continued Peterson, "you students and parents here today, know the sacrifices you as a family have to make when your mother or father is on deployment and is gone for months."

"I was actually at the White House at a briefing with the President on another matter when he received the letter you students sent. We had a long discussion about military awards and the medals that are given for actions of heroism during combat. But how do you honor an individual act of heroism during times of peace. Beyond just saying thank you. And we did not want to - degrade the meaning of such awards for an act of heroism in a peacetime activity."

"For example: in Basic Training when a recruit drops a live hand grenade and the Drill Instructor with the recruit throws himself to cover the recruit to protect him and does his best to kick the grenade into a safety pit. The Military has no medals, no awards for such an act. When it is just considered as part of doing your duty. At most that service member may be granted a day or two off from duty."

"On the other hand - all Navy Combat Fighter Pilots and crews are taught and instructed that if the fighter they are in - is no longer flight worthy - it is their duty to either immediately land safely or to eject from the aircraft and save themselves. The fighter jet is just a piece of replaceable military hardware. Expensive - yes. But the lives of the crew - with their training and years of experience and their potential future service - is far more valuable than a piece of hardware. Hardware can be replaced. Well trained, skilled and experienced flight crews are not."

"Captain Jennifer Conner ordered her RIO Alice Sweet to eject. Which Officer Sweet did. She followed orders. And Captain Conner - knowing the risk and the danger and the damage and possible casualties that her falling fighter could cause on the ground - flew on skillfully guiding her unpowered fighter to a safe location. And only when she was sure that her falling aircraft would do no harm to anyone beyond herself - she ejected."

"Please note that not one of the weapons aboard the aircraft were active or armed. During training - weapons are not activated and armed until they are at the Target Range and the flight crew has been granted permission from Ground Control on the range. When on an active combat mission the arming of weapons is left to the flight leader. And in that case it would be Captain Conner."

"Now - on to the wreckage of the F-18," continued Admiral Peterson, "that Captain Conner and Captain Sweet were flying. The several teams that examined their mission and the damage done to the engines - and the location, the low altitude and speed they were flying at - they all agreed that what the flight crew of Jennifer Conner and Alice Sweet did that day was the only thing they could do to not cause a greater catastrophe than some minor injuries and the broken windows. There was, according to their conclusion, a high probability that if Captain Conner had ejected when she ordered Lieutenant Sweet to eject from the fighter - the aircraft would have fallen uncontrolled and most likely would crash near or into this school and with the high possibility of that same bomb would still have detonated causing more damage or the possible total destruction of the school."

Admiral Peterson paused for a few moments.

Jen held Ken's hand a little tighter.

Peterson continued to speak. "Their conclusion - as was ours - was that both Captain Conner and Lieutenant Sweet did the only thing possible for them to - in that situation."

Peterson paused for another moment then added. "They did their duty. They put themselves in harm's way to protect all of those on the ground. As a Service Member this is the duty of all members of our Military Services. So it is with those of you who your Mom or Dad, your Wife or Husband is on duty far away from you. This is in our Oath that we swore to when we joined the the Navy, or any of our Military Services. This is our obligation to the American People. This - is - our promise to you."

Admiral Peterson then stepped aside and gestured towards Jennifer Conner and Alice Sweet.

Peterson continued to speak. "Tonight we now say thank you and honor two members of our military services who did their duty and up held their oath - and their promise - to you."

Admiral Peterson gestured off stage and two school employees brought out two chairs and placed them near the center of the stage. Peterson then turned to Jen and Alice. "Please come take center stage."

Alice Sweet and Jen Conner who was assisted by Ken made their way to the two chairs and sat down. Ken stood behind Jen's chair.

Admiral Peterson then turned to audience. "We are fortunate to also have here today the Conner Family and the Sweet Family. Please come up. And the Conners have three friends who are also considered as part of their family. Emma Harris and her twin daughters Samantha and Tabitha. And her husband Marine Major James Harris who is currently deployed and I hope you are watching, Sir. Mrs. Harris, would you and your daughters Samantha and Tabitha also come up on stage."

"And," continued Admiral Peterson, "would the Sweet family please come to the stage."

The families and friends of Captain Conner and Captain Sweet gathered up on stage behind where Captains Jennifer Conner and Alice Sweet were seated.

Admiral Peterson again began to speak. "First - during their last deployment which took the aircraft carrier Enterprise on its return voyage to the United States through the Indian Ocean traveling two hundred miles off shore from the country of Iran in well known International waters. Every time a Navy aircraft carrier in a fleet formation is underway traversing the oceans and seas there is always a few flights of fighters flying air cover around the fleet. For both training and protection of the fleet. There is in-air refueling from tankers so the pilots must learn how to practice very precision flying in formation for in flight refueling. A skill necessary to learn for long distance missions. And there are always flights twenty fours a day for protection."

"On that morning," continued Admiral Peterson, "A flight of two F-18s were among the several flights that were flying in a security bubble around the fleet. The fleet's long range radar picked up four, fast approaching fighters that appeared to come from Iran. A country that is well known for it's negative actions and policies towards all American interests. And when ever there is a encounter with their military forces it is always treated as a possible hostile situation."

"By chance it was then Lieutenant Conner's flight wing of two F-18s were the closest to make an fast intercept which they did. All visual and radio communications were ignored. Lieutenant Conner made visual contact but all attempts at communication were ignored. As were all radio broadcasts from the U.S. fleet. Lieutenant Conner verified that all four Iranian jet fighters were loaded with missiles and bombs, which according to Lt. Conner could have done sever damage to any of our ships and would have caused any number of casualties. With the possibility of loosing to damage at lease one possibly two ships and crew."

"Lieutenant Conner," continued Admiral Peterson, "was given full clearance to engage the Iranian aircraft if - and - only if they entered our restricted one hundred mile protective bubble."

As a warning," added Peterson, "Lieutenant Conner had Lieutenant Sweet target the lead jet. "Which they did! And the Iranians should have known they were targeted. Not only by our fighters but by the every fleet ship."

"When the Iranian jets entered the 100 mile limit one of their jets broke off." stated Admiral Peterson. "This is an often used tactic to try to separate two fighters. And with four against two. This was not good odds for our pilots. Lieutenant Conner quickly fired a missile at the lead jet. She also ordered her wingman to after the Iranian jet that had broken off."

"Conner then went after the third Iranian fighter. Sweet was able to get another lock and Conner fired a missile off towards the third Iranian. Then she broke off and started chasing after the remaining Iranian fighter."

Peterson paused. "Remember - this was all occurring within our restricted one hundred mile zone. The other jets flying air patrol were already heading to assist while more fighters were being scrambled and launched to protect the fleet."

"Meanwhile," continued Peterson, "Conner's wing man reported he had hit and gotten the first fighter that had broken away. That first Iranian fighter was destroyed. The first fighter targeted by Captain Conner was hit and went down. The second Iranian fighter was also hit and fell into the sea. The last enemy fighter continued on towards the fleet. Lieutenant Conner was about to fire another missile at it when it was struck and then exploded and it too fell into the sea."

Peterson paused for a few moments. "A search and rescue team was dispatched to search for survivors. As the threat to the fleet had been neutralized. We would rescue any survivors - even the enemy. We would not leave them to drown." The Admiral paused.

"There were no survivors found. Only pieces of wreckage. There were no bodies found either. If there had been survivors or if their remains found they would have been rescued and held until they could be turned over to the International Red Cross who would have returned them to their homeland. Iran. If they had been injured - they would have been cared for."

Again Peterson paused. "The Iranian Ambassador at the United Nations was informed. Who almost immeaditly filed a protest of unwarrented aggression against the United States Navy. Which our Ambassador quickly responded to with a full report on the altercation that had occurred. With the report went a copy of all of the radio transmissions."

"The United Nations refused to act on the request of Iran," stated Peterson. "Yet they also refused to condemn its actions against our Navy ships at sea."

"But," continued Peterson, "remember the Navy had only acted in self defense. And will continue to defend its self on the open seas. And - according to international law - we have the right of free passage on all areas so indicated."

"For their bravery during that encounter Captain Conner and Captain Sweet are here by presented the Navy's Air Medal." Then he spoke softer as he looked at Jen and Alice, "Please rise."

Alice got to her feet as Ken stepped over and helped Jen rise and stood holding her left elbow.

From the audience there came a number of camera flashes.

Admiral Peterson then presented both Jen and Alice with their Air Medal in a case. He then quickly pinned the Air Medal to their uniform on the right side.

There were more camera flashes from the audience.

Captain Foster then stepped forward with two framed documents. He handed one to Captain Sweet's mother and one to Ken Conner to hold. Then Admiral Peterson began to read.

Presidential Meritorious Citation

For Actions Above And Beyond Duty's Call

During A Non-Combat Related Mission

On June 23, 2014

Captain Jennifer Ann Conner as Pilot and Lieutenant Alice Jean Sweet as Radar Intercept Officer / Navigator, did on June 23, 2014, while assigned to the Naval Air Station at Pensacola Florida, and engaged in a standard, none combat related training mission, with a full load of missiles and five hundred pound laser guided bombs, had multiple bird strikes shortly after taking off. Both engines of their aircraft were struck as was the forward wind screen of the canopy. Both engines failed. Captain Conner's visibility forward was extremely limited due to the damage to the canopy. With both engines damaged their F-16 fighter began to fall from the sky. With failed engines and already at a low altitude there was no opportunity for Captain Conner and Lieutenant Sweet to safely return to any of the runways without the risk of crashing into one of the many buildings, homes and the Naval base's Elementary School which had just begun their morning classes. With total disregard to her own safety Captain Conner ordered Lieutenant Sweet to eject from the aircraft. Which she did. Then Captain Conner flew on alone with her wing man providing assistance with her flight path as she sought out a safe place to put her crippled fighter down in the very crowded area of the Naval Base. The single safe place where Captain Conner could put her crippled fighter down was an area beyond the school. Thus. knowing the risks that she would most likely have to sacrifice herself and to pilot her crippled jet herself into the ground in that small wooded area past the Elementary school. To reach that area Captain Conner was required to skillfully fly her crippled and unpowered jet over the crowded school to put the fighter down in the only clear area available. With her skill as a pilot she was able to reach that one single safe place. Captain Conner only ejected at the last possible moment. The jet crashed and Captain Conner was caught by the fire from the burning fuel and by the blast of an exploding bomb and she was severely injured. Her actions during this emergency situation and her dedication to duty and the total disregard for her own safety and the possibility of her own death did not deter her from her duty to serve and protect. Thus: by order of the President of the United States of America and Secretary of The Navy - Navy Captain Jennifer Ann Corner and Lieutenant Alice Jean Sweet are hereby awarded this Presidential Meritorious Citation For Peacetime Actions Above And Beyond The Call of Duty.

Signed This Day

Janet Caroline Porter

President of The United States

The students and adults stood and began to applaud again.

After a few moments Admiral Peterson faced the audience and they fell silent and returned to their seats.

Peterson turned to look at Captain Conner. "Captain Conner," began Peterson, "as you know - because of your injuries and issues with your eyesight - you are no longer eligible to pilot the Navy's fighter jets. Nor are you eligible to remain on active duty. To the Navy and to this country this is a great loss. Not just loosing you as a trained and skilled pilot but also for the postings you would have been assigned to. There to lead others in the defense of our country. But you are now to be tasked with different duties for which we think you are well suited."

Jennifer Conner, was confused. This simple trip had gone in a much different direction than she had thought. She stood with beside Ken who still held her arm.

Peterson continued with, "We hope that you are willing to become a representative of the Navy to the young men and woman of our country who are coming of age and are seeking out their own pathway to their future. The Navy wishes you to be a representative to the young of our country to encourage them as they begin thinking of their future to look at what the Navy and military service can offer them. And what they in turn can offer to our country. And to help keep our country safe and strong."

"Mr. and Mrs, Samuel and Karen Conner," stated Admiral Peterson. "Would you please come forward."

Peterson indicated that they stand on either side of Jennifer Conner.

"Thus," continued Admiral Peterson, "in accordance with Navy's Review Board and with approval Secretary of the Navy - you are hereby elevated to the rank of Rear Admiral."

Captain Foster stepped forward with a small tray on which were the officer shoulder boards for a Rear Admiral with a single Star.

Admiral Peterson quickly removed Conner's Captain shoulder boards and then replaced them with the single Star shoulder boards of a Rear Admiral.

Peterson then turned to face the audience. "I take great pleasure and now have the honor to present to you - Rear Admiral Jennifer Ann Conner."

The audience rose and began to applaud.

The End

"A Display Of Honors"

"The Conner Family - Ch 10"