The Connoisseur Ch. 09

Story Info
Enticement: In Which I Begin to Study Sarah Blythe.
1.6k words
4.62
7.3k
5
0

Part 9 of the 26 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/17/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

9. Enticement

I studied Sarah Blythe carefully, learning her habits, her haunts. We nearly met once. On the street as she hurried home late one afternoon. It was raining, and she was huddled over, a soaked newspaper covering her night-bark hair. I loved the way she looked then, wet and frantic. Vulnerable. If she hadn't already captured my most rapt attention, it would have been hers in that moment. Her haste, her vulnerability was so appealing it almost broke my heart.

Our shoulders brushed as she passed. We never even made eye contact. I've often wondered, long after, if she remembers that fleeting contact. Did she notice the tall gent in the black woolen great coat, the man with the tousled dark hair? I've never asked her, though. I've never seen a need to remind her of the days when she was at liberty. It seems, well, cruel somehow. Those days are gone forever.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

According to her profile, Sarah liked to frequent The Printer's Devil, an antiquarian bookshop near her apartment. It was one I knew well. The prices there were extravagant, but the selection was second to none. Sarah Blythe had excellent taste. She never made purchases, but she frequented the same shelves, revisiting her favorites again and again. Jane had suggested that Sarah had few friends, and none close. Jane was mistaken. Sarah had many close friends, most of them bound in fine leather, and she called on them regularly.

I, too, appreciated leather bindings.

Afterwards, Sarah usually adjourned to The Copper Kettle, a cozy coffee shop, where she read used paperbacks or volumes she'd checked out from the public library.

Jane had arranged a series of job interviews for Sarah, and ensured that résumés sent to other, more appropriate opportunities were intercepted. None of the ones we arranged were especially attractive, mind, but Sarah's financial situation was growing desperate. Each situation was more tedious than the last; each was far beneath her skills and intelligence. We made sure than none of them worked out. A girl who is desperate retreats more deeply into fantasy and longing. My "rescue" would be that much more welcome.

When Sarah was depressed, she visited her friends in the Printer's Devil. She was a creature of habit. That gave me opportunity.

I arranged carefully to be there at the shop when she visited on more than one occasion. I always wore my black Kashmir great coat; I knew she liked them. I usually wore a turtleneck or a sweater, black or the blue of her eyes. I wore a scent she liked, musky and subtle, enhanced with a blend of pheromones of my own creation. I knew her tastes intimately. I never approached her; I never spoke to her. I made sure she saw me, though. I avoided eye contact, but on more than one occasion I was certain that I felt her gaze following me.

The fourth time we happened to meet, I made eye contact and smiled as we passed. I purchased a stack of books before I left: a fine edition of The Three Musketeers and first editions of A Wrinkle in Time and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The final three were paperbacks of The Story of O, Beauty in the Birch, and Kushiel's Dart.

I saw Sarah watching my purchases, her mouth open. I knew that she hadn't missed any of them. I knew she had recognized a kindred spirit. There was a small mirror by the door. I caught her following me with her eyes as I left.

The trap was baited.

We passed each other in the store twice more the next week. I pretended not to see her. Both times, I purchased volumes I'd seen her visiting more than once. One was a fine leather-bound edition of The Count of Monte Cristo. The other was an anthology of spanking erotica.

I let my eyes meet hers as I left. I smiled. She blushed and looked quickly away.

The week after that, I spoke to her. She was visiting one of her favorites, a collection of fairy tales decorated with vintage Arthur Rackham illustrations. Pretending not to see her, I reached for the book, and my hand brushed hers. I felt something electric in that touch, and even in that single, fleeting moment, I marveled at how soft and warm her skin felt to the touch.

"Forgive me, miss." I gave her my best smile. "Were you reaching for this book?" I offered her the volume.

She blushed and looked away. It was a motion I would come to know well. "I was just visiting it." She sighed. A moment, as though she were gathering her courage. "Are you going to buy it?" Her accent was enchanting; her voice was music, a torch song, low and smoky.

"I'd thought to. Unless you want it?"

She smiled, but her eyes were sad. "It's a little out of my price range, I'm afraid."

I smiled again. "Here, then. Let me buy it for you."

"No. No! I couldn't possibly."

"Please. I already have an edition, although not quite as nice as this one. I buy a lot of books, you know."

"I've noticed." A hint of a smile. "You seem to buy a lot of my favorites."

"Ah. I thought you looked familiar. We've crossed paths here?"

"A time or two. I... I admire your tastes in books, sir."

"You've been spying on me, then? Naughty girl."

"Admiring the books," she corrected. The smile widened. Was that a hint of a blush? She'd caught my use of the word naughty.

"How sad for me, then. Mostly. I buy books to ensure that they have a good home. And to do my small part to ensure that a lovely shop like this one stays open. I have a feeling you'd give it a good home. Isn't that so?"

"You're too kind, Mister...?"

"Excuse me. It's Corwin. Jack Corwin."

"Oh! Like in Zelazny?"

I feigned surprise. "You've read the Amber books, then?"

She nodded enthusiastically. "But truly, I can't accept."

"What if I insist, Miss...?"

"Sarah," she replied. A coquettish smile. She didn't offer a surname. "Are you a man used to getting what he wants when he insists?"

This time, I smiled. "Only when I'm trying to do a kindness for someone who seems to be a kindred spirit. And who, from the look in her eyes, seems to need a little good luck."

"But really, I can't accept. Thank you, though."

"What if I charged you?"

She looked away. "I'm sot sure I'd be in a position to pay you, Mr. Corwin."

"I'd only charge an hour of your time. Join me for a coffee. I so seldom get to share my enthusiasm for Zelazny and Arthur Rackham."

She smiled again. She had a lovely smile. Perfect teeth, and full, lush lips that hinted at the Italian in her blood. I caught myself imagining how lovely those lips would look behind the red ball of a gag, or circled around the girth of my erect cock as they moved back and forth, back and forth. She shook her head. "I'm afraid I don't even have enough for a coffee right now."

"I'm bartering for your time. Not for the coffee. I'll buy. Do we have a deal? Just coffee. And conversation, of course."

"Just coffee," she said firmly.

"I won't even suggest dinner." I held up three fingers in the traditional Scout's Honor salute.

She smiled.

Twenty minutes later, we'd settled into a booth at the quaint Copper Kettle, I sipping strong black coffee out of a tall, earthenware mug; she a hot chai latte with a shot of vanilla at my recommendation. We talked far longer than the hour she owed for the book. She told me about her life in the new city, her dreams, her writing. For myself, I mostly just listened. She seemed to need that.

"I happy when I'm reading," she admitted. "It lets me know I'm not alone. I'm happier when I'm writing, though. That lets me know I'm alive."

"I bet that's all you'd do if you had the chance," I teased her. "Read and write."

"That's not all I'd do," she said, her voice husky. She smiled that coquettish smile again, and then she blushed and looked away.

For myself, I admired her strength. The submission of a strong woman is worth more to a connoisseur than that of a weak one. The smallest submissive act from a strong women makes his heart leap. The involuntary submission of the weak is empty and unsatisfying. The dominant gentleman longs for strong women. The more equal she is in strength and intellect, the more beautiful the gift of her submission. As I mentioned, a gentleman earns his slave.

We talked about poetry; we talked about favorite books. She teased me, suggesting she knew a lot about me. "You can tell who someone is by what they read."

"Ah. Am I am open book, then?"

She smiled, and looked at me through her lashes. We both knew she meant more than the fiction, art, and myth.

It grew late; the barista was wanting to close. Sarah didn't seem to want to say goodbye, but (I reminded her) I'd promised not to suggest dinner, so I offered her a friendly handshake, and said I hoped I'd see her at the shop again soon.

She seemed surprised and, I think, a little disappointed. I hadn't even asked for her telephone number.

I watched her hips sway as she walked away, her round bottom swinging in a most enticing manner. I looked forward to the day I'd see it dance beneath my whip.

I looked forward to the day when I could take her in my arms and kiss her deeply, when I could drink her scent into me like wine.